PDA

View Full Version : Best Sandwich Shop in NORMAN

Hublah
3/22/2006, 11:44 PM
Gandolfo's is the best Sandwich Shop in NOrman...its awesome food...breakfast sandwiches rock...does anyone else love it as much as I do????

I was in there the other day and saw A.D. and C.J. having some food...so I guess the Sooners endorse it also!!!

Hublah
3/22/2006, 11:57 PM
Has anyone else tried this place yet???

Norm In Norman
3/23/2006, 12:12 AM
I went there for the last time a few weeks ago. The service hasn't been all that good whenever I've gone there. i went there at 12:30 on a saturday and there was NOBODY there. I ordered my sandwhich and waited for 15 minutes before it was done. I was sitting at a table and I looked up at one point and all 3 employees were gone. Then I hear one say "Hey! This sandwhich has just been sitting here! Hardy har har!" I get it home and they had heated it even though I asked for it cold. Anyway, I'm done with them.

I will say that the one time I got a cold big apple, I thought it was really good.

Jimminy Crimson
3/23/2006, 12:15 AM
Is this the place in the former Interurban?

My favorite 'sammich' in Norman is probably the gyro sandwich from Greek House.
Runners-up include: Gourmet Deli (philly), Jimmy John's (Italian Night Club), and Mr. Goodcents (Italian).

Members of SF.com also say good things about Penny Hill Subs @ Main & Hal Muldrow, but I've yet to try it.

Norm In Norman
3/23/2006, 12:17 AM
no, it's in the filling station on 12th and robinson. it used to be some other crappy sandwich place.

Jimminy Crimson
3/23/2006, 12:21 AM
no, it's in the filling station on 12th and robinson. it used to be some other crappy sandwich place.

The old Blimpie, gotcha.

As far as chains go, I prefer Blimpie to Subway. That's just me though. The furthest I make it in NE Norman, is usually 12th & Alameda. I'll give 'er a go and see if it is as craptastic as you say so. :D

King Crimson
3/23/2006, 01:13 AM
jimmy john's is awful. it's a typical chain. like Subway, they've somehow managed to make fresh baked bread suck knob. err, i mean, over yeasted frozen dough rolls on a tray....put in an oven...suck knob.

Penny Hill is pretty good.

soonerhubs
3/23/2006, 01:16 AM
I say make a sandwich at home. I don't pay for people to do that. I pay for them to cook greasy crap like Long John Silvers or a Braums Bacon Cheese burger.

OUAndy1807
3/23/2006, 08:06 AM
gandolfo's is good, haven't been to the one in Norman yet.

The best sandwich in Norman is egg salad on white bread from Gourmet Deli.

SeattleOUstudent
3/23/2006, 08:27 AM
Bison Witches has good sandys

SoonerBorn
3/23/2006, 09:35 AM
Bison Witches has good sandys

I'll second that - usually get a half sandwich and bread bowl soup. Good stuff.

I like Gandolfo's, too. Unfortunately, I work in non-profit, so eating there for me is like you guys eating at Chili's. :)

TopDaugIn2000
3/23/2006, 09:40 AM
I was wondering how long it would take for Bison Witches to get mentioned. I LOVE that place.

the half sandwich and bread bowl soup RMFFO!

Boomer.....
3/23/2006, 09:40 AM
jimmy john's is awful.

Whaaaaaat? I love JJ's. Their sandwitches are great. Gandolfo's, Penny Hill, and Goodcents are also good.

sanantoniosooner
3/23/2006, 09:43 AM
I knew the guy that started the Penny Hill on 59th & Penn. He gets into starting up the shops and gets bored after they are established and sells them. I wonder if he is at the Norman one or the lady that bought the one on Penn opened the other one also.

Dude used to make me sandwiches before they even opened when I would go next door to the paint store. Excellent meatball sub. I stopped by his shop on the way home from the hospital when my first was born. Free subs for the wife and I.

He helped get City Bites going on some of their sandwiches and they didn't get him a bit of credit when they got recognition.

King Crimson
3/23/2006, 09:48 AM
nice edit SAS.

sanantoniosooner
3/23/2006, 09:54 AM
nice edit SAS.
why, thank you.

It's tough to look like you are paying attention to a lecture while posting.

King Crimson
3/23/2006, 09:58 AM
no sweat. i was gonna bust yer chops for being sandwiched by a dude.....jus sayin'.

sanantoniosooner
3/23/2006, 10:00 AM
I don't think I edited that part.

Nab'R
3/23/2006, 10:02 AM
Bison Witches. Delish. Not really like anything else.

TopDaugIn2000
3/23/2006, 10:10 AM
I like jason's deli on occasion. more for their chocolate soft serve ice cream than their sammiches though.

Taxman71
3/23/2006, 10:12 AM
Is this the place in the former Interurban?

That is now an italian place called Benvenuti's or something like that. Not sure if it is open yet.

mrssoonerhubler
3/23/2006, 10:00 PM
I say make a sandwich at home. I don't pay for people to do that. I pay for them to cook greasy crap like Long John Silvers or a Braums Bacon Cheese burger.

And how many points do you have on your subway card? BTW Hublah we have a Gandolfos in Riverdale...I LOVE it. My favorite is the south hampton :)

GottaHavePride
3/24/2006, 12:23 AM
Bison Witches. Delish. Not really like anything else.

I've only been to Bison Wiches once, and I wasn't all that impressed. Maybe I just ordered the wrong sandwich, though. My current favorite is Gourmet Deli.

Boomer.....
3/24/2006, 09:13 AM
I'm not real big on Gourmet Deli. There are 1000 choices and I never chose the right sandwich.

C&CDean
3/24/2006, 10:04 AM
The two best sammich places in Norman are:

Gourmet Deli
Penny Hill

And it depends on what kind of sammich you want as to which one you go to.

For a cheesesteak, it's Gourmet Deli. Get it with hot and sweet peppers, on french bread.

For an italian or turkey fag sammich (sprouts, avocado, etc.) it's Penny Hill.

Also, last week I had the Brooklyn Bomber at Penny Hill. It's an egg salad sub with pastrami. Pretty tasty.

In the also rans, its:

Jason's Deli (NYYankee is my favorite)
Bison Witches
Subway
All the other ****ty places like Goodcents, City Bites, etc.

Taxman71
3/24/2006, 11:11 AM
I am glad noone has mentioned Quizno's. I freakin hate that place. The food is fine, but the service and the price make me want to go postal.

Boomer.....
3/24/2006, 11:38 AM
For phillys, I go to Texadelphia or Penny Hill. Can't beat em!

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/24/2006, 11:55 AM
I have a Gourmet Deli in Nichols Hills so I never go there in Norman. My favorite sandwich place in Norman is Bison Witches. Plus their brocolli cheese soup is amazing. I also like the muffalettas at Jason's Deli.

I also really like the sandwiches at Mr. Goodcents.

sanantoniosooner
3/25/2006, 01:40 AM
I am glad noone has mentioned Quizno's. I freakin hate that place. The food is fine, but the service and the price make me want to go postal.
Quiznos rocks.

Stick to subway. I don't want to wait in line behind someone who can't appreciate Black Angus Sub.

soonerhubs
3/25/2006, 01:49 AM
Okay, Okay, I have to come clean. I love the Chicken/Bacon/Ranch sandwich from Subway.

sanantoniosooner
3/25/2006, 01:51 AM
Subway is adequate if a sandwich place isn't available.

jdsooner
3/25/2006, 02:08 AM
Texadelphia is great before or after the games. Lots of tvs, cheap food, and nobody goes there. Wait! Disregard what I said; it's terrible!

Sooner98
3/25/2006, 02:24 AM
I'm not real big on Gourmet Deli. There are 1000 choices and I never chose the right sandwich.

Have you tried the Grilled Chicken sammich there yet? Mmmmmm...

Get a bowl of soup there too, it's almost "Soup Nazi" good!