PDA

View Full Version : If you shrink legal tender

oumartin
3/22/2006, 11:29 PM
say a 5.00 bill is it still legal to use?

Okla-homey
3/22/2006, 11:31 PM
How did you manage to shrink a fiver?

IronSooner
3/22/2006, 11:35 PM
I always heard you could cut up a dollar bill, send it to the mint, and get a new dollar back. You should try mailing it to denver. In a little envelope.

KABOOKIE
3/22/2006, 11:38 PM
You can exchange a dollar bill at your local bank so long as one of either serial numbers on the bill are completely in tact.

oumartin
3/22/2006, 11:41 PM
oh, you can shrink bills pretty easy..

i was just wondering after you do this if you can still use it.

Hublah
3/22/2006, 11:42 PM
oh, you can shrink bills pretty easy..

i was just wondering after you do this if you can still use it.

as long as nothing else was altered you can use it...i take them at the bank all day long :)

picasso
3/22/2006, 11:43 PM
junior dollars. haven't you seen those Sonic commercials?

sanantoniosooner
3/22/2006, 11:43 PM
The bank doesn't mind shrunk nickels.

oumartin
3/22/2006, 11:44 PM
yep picasso, thats what got me thinking. I haven't shunk one in a couple years cuz anhydrous isn't readily available.

IronSooner
3/22/2006, 11:48 PM
What about tie-dyed dollars? Origami dollars?

proud gonzo
3/22/2006, 11:49 PM
yep picasso, thats what got me thinking. I haven't shunk one in a couple years cuz anhydrous isn't readily available.
anhydrous what?

oumartin
3/22/2006, 11:50 PM
ammonia,

I no longer work in a facility that uses it.

Jimminy Crimson
3/23/2006, 12:12 AM
How did you manage to shrink a fiver?

Money laundering?
Buh-dum-bum

:texan:

olevetonahill
3/23/2006, 12:23 AM
You can exchange a dollar bill at your local bank so long as one of either serial numbers on the bill are completely in tact.
So if I have a dollar, tear it in 1/2 ,go to 2 banks and swap. I get 2 dollars ?Greatness Im gonna get rich and share with you :cool:

Ike
3/23/2006, 12:47 AM
this reminds me of a situation I was in once....it's not entirely related, but it has to do with money.

I went to a local store around here and paid for my goods with a couple of 20s. The lady ringing me up makes a mark on each of the 20's with one of those 'counterfiet checking' pens. I told her that those things don't work. She emphatically told me I was wrong, and began showing me by making a mark on a regular sheet of paper which was a different color. I told her 'thats nice, but try it on a piece of newspaper. It'll be the same as if you used a dollar, cause the pen reacts with the starch.' she tried it on a piece of newspaper that was behind the counter, and of course, I was right.

apparently, it didn't hit her that I could have just passed her counterfiet notes until after I had walked out. As I was driving away, I saw her taking down my license plate number...

olevetonahill
3/23/2006, 12:55 AM
this reminds me of a situation I was in once....it's not entirely related, but it has to do with money.

I went to a local store around here and paid for my goods with a couple of 20s. The lady ringing me up makes a mark on each of the 20's with one of those 'counterfiet checking' pens. I told her that those things don't work. She emphatically told me I was wrong, and began showing me by making a mark on a regular sheet of paper which was a different color. I told her 'thats nice, but try it on a piece of newspaper. It'll be the same as if you used a dollar, cause the pen reacts with the starch.' she tried it on a piece of newspaper that was behind the counter, and of course, I was right.

apparently, it didn't hit her that I could have just passed her counterfiet notes until after I had walked out. As I was driving away, I saw her taking down my license plate number...

So id need to starch my phoney money ? Damn I love the S O now I got 2 ways to get rich, and you will get your share to .:D

picasso
3/23/2006, 01:02 AM
ya know those Sonic guys work at the Improv in Chicago. Tulsa TV did a gig on them. they said Sonic is opening up in Chicago soon and their cover will be blown.
I used to date a chick from Scottsdale. her brother had opened up 2 of those in the area and was already a millionaire.:mad:

Ike
3/23/2006, 01:05 AM
ya know those Sonic guys work at the Improv in Chicago. Tulsa TV did a gig on them. they said Sonic is opening up in Chicago soon and their cover will be blown.
I used to date a chick from Scottsdale. her brother had opened up 2 of those in the area and was already a millionaire.:mad:

I've seen sonic comercials around here lately, and have always had a WTF kind of reaction...cause there arent any here...guess there will be soon.

Jimminy Crimson
3/23/2006, 01:16 AM
Anybody seen the blonde one in the Midas ad?

I was like 'WTF is Sonic guy doing working at Midas?' :D

IronSooner
3/23/2006, 02:45 AM
I've seen sonic comercials around here lately, and have always had a WTF kind of reaction...cause there arent any here...guess there will be soon.

We've got one in Champaign already. It's just a matter of time.

RacerX
3/23/2006, 07:39 AM
Anybody seen the blonde one in the Midas ad?

I was like 'WTF is Sonic guy doing working at Midas?' :D

That Barney Rubble, he's such a great actor.

jeremy885
3/23/2006, 09:30 AM
So if I have a dollar, tear it in 1/2 ,go to 2 banks and swap. I get 2 dollars ?Greatness Im gonna get rich and share with you :cool:

Kabookie is partially right. You can bring in torn money, but you have to have both serial numbers for them to take it. I worked at a couple of banks in college, and you wouldn't believe some of the bills people would bring in to exchange.

Frozen Sooner
3/23/2006, 11:26 AM
I sure as hell would. People expect the weirdest **** out of their bank.

"Hey, I've had this dollar bill buried in a peat bog then took it out and ran it through a combine. I'd like to exchange it for another dollar."

"Yeah, sorry, I can't take that."

"I want to speak to your manager! That's ridiculous!"

Got so bad that for a while we weren't taking ANY mangled or mutilated money. We'd just give people the address of the Treasury and tell them to work it out themselves.

jeremy885
3/23/2006, 11:29 AM

"Hey, I've had this dollar bill buried in a peat bog then took it out and ran it through a combine. I'd like to exchange it for another dollar."

Got so bad that for a while we weren't taking ANY mangled or mutilated money. We'd just give people the address of the Treasury and tell them to work it out themselves.

Lucky you. We tried to put limits on it, but were told that as long as it has both serial numbers we had to take to. Some days, my mutilated money was 10% of my drawer total.

Frozen Sooner
3/23/2006, 11:37 AM
I feel your pain. I had a .75MM vault and at one point I had a good $25k in mutilated money. The Fed wasn't taking it anymore unless it was strapped in 100-count.

olevetonahill
3/23/2006, 01:46 PM
I feel your pain. I had a .75MM vault and at one point I had a good $25k in mutilated money. The Fed wasn't taking it anymore unless it was strapped in 100-count.
Well you and jerimy just screwed up My get rich scheme dam ya :P

soonerbrat
3/23/2006, 01:47 PM

as long as there's 50+% of the bill.

KABOOKIE
3/23/2006, 01:52 PM
as long as there's 50+% of the bill.

Yes, I forgot the part where one serial number must be intact PLUS at least a partial serial number still on the torn note. Doh!

olevetonahill
3/23/2006, 03:02 PM
Yes, I forgot the part where one serial number must be intact PLUS at least a partial serial number still on the torn note. Doh!
Damn it man I was gonna make us both rich !;)

Newbomb Turk
3/23/2006, 04:24 PM

You don't want change, you don't want bills. Picky SOB! ;)

Frozen Sooner
3/23/2006, 09:40 PM
Basically, I want the elimination of all cash entirely.

I hate that crap.

Newbomb Turk
3/23/2006, 09:47 PM
Basically, I want the elimination of all cash entirely.

I hate that crap.

Barter system?

Frozen Sooner
3/23/2006, 10:02 PM
Debit cards, checks, credit cards, stuff like that.

oumartin
3/23/2006, 10:04 PM
oh, and you want us to have our bank info tatood on our hand? kinda like 666

Frozen Sooner
3/23/2006, 10:09 PM
Nah. Then you'd never be able to switch.

Henna'd be fine.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/24/2006, 12:02 AM
Well, you could alway cut the corners off and try to tape 'em on a lower bill and see if some yocal accepts it...

ouflak
3/24/2006, 05:55 AM
I do believe that technically it is illegal to purposely alter or otherwise destroy legal currency to a point where it can no longer be used as currency. In fact it is a federal offense. But I've never heard of any case of this law being enforced. I think the laws are relics of war/cold war days anyway, when there was a suspicion that an enemy might purposely go out to destroy large amounts of currency in order to screw the economy up or something like that. Never really looked into it.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/24/2006, 07:56 AM
Of course its illegal. A Federal offense I believe. I have seen people try to do it though...