PDA

View Full Version : Huggy Bear to K-State?

GottaHavePride
3/22/2006, 10:44 PM
http://www.mofolandia.com.br/starsky_hutch/4sh.jpg

KStatePike
3/22/2006, 11:29 PM
Heads up Big 12!

IronSooner
3/23/2006, 12:06 AM
It's always more fun when you get the sportscenter guys talking about huggy bear.

Sooner04
3/23/2006, 12:21 AM
This is no good.

NickZeppelin
3/23/2006, 12:21 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/5437328

Looks like ISU and KSU have upgraded their coaches. Mizzou will have an upgrade at coaching with any hire.

OUGreg723
3/23/2006, 12:36 AM
This disappoints me...

skycat
3/23/2006, 12:58 AM
Wow.... just.... wow.

If the guy can keep his nose clean, us K-State fans are going to be in for a hell of a ride.

Half a Hundred
3/23/2006, 01:40 AM
...keep his nose clean... K-State...

Wait, when has this ever been necessary?

skycat
3/23/2006, 01:43 AM
Wait, when has this ever been necessary?

Any word from the NCAA?

MojoRisen
3/23/2006, 10:06 AM
Not happy to have to play huggins- year in year out-

Huggins- is intense, he is a great recruiter, he is a good in game adjustments coach, has a final 4 and elite 8 and 14 straight NCAA apearences- not to mention 10+ CUSA regular and tourney tittles.

K-STATE will be very much in the mix next year

Newbomb Turk
3/23/2006, 10:29 AM
Not happy to have to play huggins- year in year out-

Huggins- is intense, he is a great recruiter, he is a good in game adjustments coach, has a final 4 and elite 8 and 14 straight NCAA apearences- not to mention 10+ CUSA regular and tourney tittles.

K-STATE will be very much in the mix next year

He was a good recruiter at Cincy. There was a ton of basketball talent in that part of the country. Let's see if he can pull the same thing off at K-State.

I think the guy's a prick and trouble - wouldn't want him anywhere near OU basketball.

49r
3/23/2006, 10:35 AM
Yet another mid-major coach making the jump to a big time league. Those ALWAYS work out...

(and, yes, I'm kidding about the mid-major thing....sorta)

MojoRisen
3/23/2006, 10:43 AM
He was a good recruiter at Cincy. There was a ton of basketball talent in that part of the country. Let's see if he can pull the same thing off at K-State.

I think the guy's a prick and trouble - wouldn't want him anywhere near OU basketball.

His players always liked him though- even when he was down their throats.

He is going to be tough to play against- he is already bringing in a 7-1 center from Flroida.

MojoRisen
3/23/2006, 11:56 AM
looks like Huggins- just landed two of the best players in the country for Kstate as a package deal. How does he do that before he even gets a job?

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Bob Huggins is a coach without a college team, but he could end up with two of Ohio's top basketball players no matter where he lands.

O.J. Mayo, Ohio's two-time Associated Press Mr. Basketball, said Tuesday that he and Cincinnati North College Hill teammate Bill Walker - both juniors - may go wherever the former University of Cincinnati coach goes.

''That could be right,'' Mayo said of the rumor that he and Walker would go with Huggins as a package deal. ''That could be a possibility. At the same time, we don't want to go to a raw program.''

Mayo is a 6-foot-5 swingman and Walker is a 6-6 power forward for North College Hill, the defending Division III state champions in Ohio and ranked as one of the top teams in the nation by several publications.

NBA rules prevent players from making themselves available for the draft until they are at least a year out of high school.

Mayo averaged 28.8 points, 8.8 rebounds, 5.8 assists and 5 steals during the regular season for the Trojans (24-1), who defend their title this weekend in Columbus. Walker averaged 22.4 points against a schedule that included teams such as national powerhouse Oak Hill (Va.) Academy, which gave the Trojans their only loss, and defending Ohio big-school state champion Canton McKinley.

''It could be a great thing to happen,'' Mayo said of going to play for Huggins. ''At the same time, we have to see where he ends up, what the school's fan base is like, see what the fans think about him and make sure everything is great.''

Huggins was forced out last August after 16 years as Cincinnati's coach. He accepted a $3 million buyout after a public struggle with new Cincinnati president Nancy Zimpher, who disagreed with the way Huggins ran the Bearcats program.

He has denied that he has any kind of an agreement to have Mayo and Walker join him when he takes a college coaching job.

Speaking at a luncheon in Canton on Monday, Huggins said he hoped to return to college coaching.

Asked about Mayo and Walker, he said, ''They're as good as advertised.''

A message for Huggins was left Wednesday with his attorney.

Phil
3/23/2006, 12:21 PM
Huggins and Knight in the same league - ours. Joy. On the flip side, we might actually get to see a cranial artery spontaneously burst on the LNC sideline one day with these guys on the visiting bench.

Newbomb Turk
3/23/2006, 12:29 PM
Huggins and Knight in the same league - ours. Joy. On the flip side, we might actually get to see a cranial artery spontaneously burst on the LNC sideline one day with these guys on the visiting bench.

It'll be fun to watch when the teams face each other.

Salt City Sooner
3/23/2006, 01:52 PM
I'm honestly quite disappointed with this. He can win games, absolutely no doubt about that, but he is also slime defined. Wooldridge has more integrity in his little finger than BH has ever thought about having, but unfortunately, in big time college athletics, it's ALL about winning, & BH will have them doing that much in short order.

Taxman71
3/23/2006, 02:40 PM
I like it. It should improve the Big 12 and force other schools to work harder. I think there is alot of complacency in the league right now. Bill Self is probably the most upset over this since he is arguably the second most famous b-ball coach in Kansas now.

skycat
3/23/2006, 03:06 PM
Bill Self is probably the most upset over this since he is arguably the second most famous b-ball coach in Kansas now.

It's pretty effin cool that K-State has a Final Four coach and ku doesn't.

AllAboutThe'O'
3/23/2006, 03:15 PM
I like it. It should improve the Big 12 and force other schools to work harder. I think there is alot of complacency in the league right now. Bill Self is probably the most upset over this since he is arguably the second most famous b-ball coach in Kansas now.
Maybe third, behind Mark Turgeon of Wichita State. He's had more NCAA tourney wins the last two years than Self has.

Newbomb Turk
3/23/2006, 03:39 PM
I'm honestly quite disappointed with this. He can win games, absolutely no doubt about that, but he is also slime defined.

amen.

GottaHavePride
3/23/2006, 04:13 PM
I'm still shocked that this thread got more play than william_brasky's serious one.

Taxman71
3/23/2006, 04:19 PM
Maybe third, behind Mark Turgeon of Wichita State. He's had more NCAA tourney wins the last two years than Self has.

Yes, but I can't imagine Turgeon sticking around very long. The whole Shocker hand signal thing will be played out by late summer and he will be stuck listening to Gene Stephenson's drinking stories in the coaches' lounge. He will be in a power conference soon.

Half a Hundred
3/23/2006, 06:35 PM
Any word from the NCAA?

Nah, they never seem to return my calls. Bastards, I thought they were the one... :(

:P

skycat
3/23/2006, 06:41 PM
Yes, but I can't imagine Turgeon sticking around very long. The whole Shocker hand signal thing will be played out by late summer and he will be stuck listening to Gene Stephenson's drinking stories in the coaches' lounge. He will be in a power conference soon.

Unless a monster job opens up he should stick around another year. He's got just about everybody coming back, and should have a damn fine team next year.

The year after that... time to cash in.

soonermaticsam
3/23/2006, 06:43 PM
I think this is a great hire, I expect this to make all of the big 12 better. We need a few more strong teams. This hire sounds like a lot of fun to me. Can't wait to see what comes out of Manhattan next year.

MojoRisen
3/23/2006, 07:01 PM
Karl Hobbs is going to interview with University of Cincinatti- I guess he would never come to OU-

These guys are definitely looking at lateral moves for more Money!!!

OUstud
3/23/2006, 07:07 PM
I predict Bramlage becoming a hell of a tough place to play.

Newbomb Turk
3/23/2006, 08:28 PM
I'm still shocked that this thread got more play than william_brasky's serious one.

You do know what site you're on, don't you. :eddie: