PDA

View Full Version : Izzo's sentiments after his first round loss

Spartan(Sooner at Heart)
3/22/2006, 09:08 PM
"A good job is not good enough here," Izzo said. "A good job is 18, 19 wins. Twenty-two wins is a very good job. But we're looking for championships and Final Fours and that didn't change, and that's not going to change until the day I get thrown out of here. Good is not good enough."

"I'm not satisfied with where we ended up this year," Izzo said. "I'm going to publicly say I'm going to do something about it, I'm going to privately say I'm going to do something about it, and I'm going to do something about it.

I'm gonna address it from here on out. This was one of the worst defensive teams I've had. I question myself.

"That's why I'm blaming myself," he said. "I think I went a little soft on this team. Some of it wasn't my fault and some of it wasn't their fault, with our lack of depth and injuries. If there's one part about this that's good, it's that you better not change, you are what you believe in. It's my job to mold people and change people, not accept things that aren't acceptable.

"It's not acceptable to me to say, that's just somebody's personality. In life, we change everything about somebody. If we don't like his jump shot, we change it. If we don't like the way he dribbles, we change it. … It's my program, and players should take on the personality of their coach. So maybe my personality hasn't been right. I've got to tweak some things."

Is it fair to say that Kelvin's reaction has been quite different than this? It would be nice to see this sense of urgency from the OU program.

OUstud
3/22/2006, 09:12 PM
I'm glad to see Izzo, who I thought was Sampson's clone, blame himself. That's a good coaching move, not blaming the players (though Paul Davis could have taken a lot of the blame, given his shortcomings).

oumartin
3/22/2006, 09:18 PM
but he doesn't miss shots and have defensive lapses! izzo that is

OUGreg723
3/23/2006, 12:47 AM
Reminds me of Stoops after a big loss. Stoopsie is a little more calm though..

william_brasky
3/23/2006, 12:55 AM
It's refreshing to hear a BBall coach take the heat and point the finger at himself.