PDA

View Full Version : Samspon throwing his team under the bus

soonermaticsam
3/22/2006, 07:36 PM
KS was on the radio in Kansas City today, to me it sounded like he was blaming the players for the loss, he made several comments about how "it's a players game" and players have to do their job. I'm trying to get a transcript of the interview but I was pretty angry after hearing the interview, I know the players have to play but they gotta have a plan. If a team struggles with certain aspects of the game over most of the season is that because the players aren't performing or because the coach can't adjust or get his team to understand what he wants them to do? Every one has a bad night but our offense made me scratch my head every game. How many games this year did we have huge offensive droughts in? I just couldn't believe KS said the things he said, has anyone else heard similar things from KS recently?

PDXsooner
3/22/2006, 07:39 PM
maybe he's right. at the end of the day it's hard for a coach to make a shot from the sideline.

however, calling players out is not normally considered classy.

FroggyStyle22
3/22/2006, 07:43 PM
How many years has Sampson been at OU?

And how many of his teams have underachieved?

Maybe it was the players......just sayin'

CtheB
3/22/2006, 08:27 PM
KS was on the radio in Kansas City today, to me it sounded like he was blaming the players for the loss, he made several comments about how "it's a players game" and players have to do their job. I'm trying to get a transcript of the interview but I was pretty angry after hearing the interview, I know the players have to play but they gotta have a plan. If a team struggles with certain aspects of the game over most of the season is that because the players aren't performing or because the coach can't adjust or get his team to understand what he wants them to do? Every one has a bad night but our offense made me scratch my head every game. How many games this year did we have huge offensive droughts in? I just couldn't believe KS said the things he said, has anyone else heard similar things from KS recently?

Well I distinctly remember last year that KS publicly blamed Lavender for all of the team's troubles midway through last season, then wondered why the kid felt so alienated afterwards.

That being said, as more starts to open up from inside the program, it sounds like the team and coaching staff were in complete dissension. It actually may be a good thing to "start over" with new faces, and I mean players.

william_brasky
3/22/2006, 08:33 PM
check the Tramel Article thread I posted earlier. In the article there were a few "under the bus" type comments.

OUGreg723
3/22/2006, 08:35 PM
You guys are still talking about last season?? That was SOOO one week ago!;)

william_brasky
3/22/2006, 08:40 PM
I'm trying to get a transcript of the interview but I was pretty angry after hearing the interview

I would like to see that transcript. If you find it, post it please. Thanks.

oumartin
3/22/2006, 08:43 PM
Who in the world is Kelvin Sampson?
I thought OU was coached by Calvin Simpson. and I want that guy fired.

MojoRisen
3/22/2006, 08:52 PM
Clearly, it is not his fault... To me that shows little class- he can call it a contradiction of words it is a players game and players have to do their jobs- what he really means is I can't manage players and they won't get excited about my system.

He should take some fault in this- if people want to believe we didn't have talent that is fine- if they want to believe the talent didn't want to play in Kelvins system- that is bad- if they players didn't understand their jobs that is bad, if they just did a bad job of understanding thier jobs- with the highest GPA we have ever had on the basketball team- that is a lie.

Sorry Kevlin- I see through your BS

chriscappel
3/22/2006, 09:09 PM
You guys are still talking about last season?? That was SOOO one week ago!;)

:D

RacerX
3/22/2006, 09:28 PM
Well I distinctly remember last year that KS publicly blamed Lavender for all of the team's troubles midway through last season, then wondered why the kid felt so alienated afterwards.

That being said, as more starts to open up from inside the program, it sounds like the team and coaching staff were in complete dissension. It actually may be a good thing to "start over" with new faces, and I mean players.

Yeah, so coach has new players to alienate.

Good plan.

CtheB
3/22/2006, 09:32 PM
Yeah, so coach has new players to alienate.

Good plan.

Racer, I've been hard on KS for the past three months, and maybe its the fact that spring football has started :) , but I am starting to get in the "give him one more chance" camp. If he doesn't change for the kids coming in, IF they come in, then we can fully evaluate what he will and will not do.

Fair assessment?

oumartin
3/22/2006, 09:36 PM
it doesn't matter what we want.
he's here so we might as well get used to it. doesn't mean we can't pick on him.

MojoRisen
3/22/2006, 09:38 PM
Only if the next years worst case produces as many hot Coaches as this year! if not well we all know timing is everything!

oumartin
3/22/2006, 09:43 PM
my concern is just that. OU will continue to get passed over and drop further back in the big 12.

TopDawg
3/22/2006, 09:48 PM
Wait, so are you worried that if we wait a year, there might not be a coach as good as Sampson available? ;)

oumartin
3/22/2006, 09:54 PM
exactly.!

sooner518
3/22/2006, 10:01 PM
maybe thats his way of saying that Terrell is an idiot for smoking weed.

Declan McManus
3/22/2006, 10:25 PM
I heard the team tried to throw Kelvin under the bus in retaliation, but they missed.

william_brasky
3/22/2006, 10:32 PM
I heard the team tried to throw Kelvin under the bus in retaliation, but they missed.

Then Kelvin held a press conference pointing out that the team doesn't have enough heart.

GottaHavePride
3/22/2006, 10:40 PM

Damn! YMSSRA...

Stoop Dawg
3/22/2006, 11:09 PM

I agree.

It ain't cool to blame players. However, I get the distinct impression that this team just didn't have "it". I'm with CtheB - some new faces will do this program good.

william_brasky
3/22/2006, 11:47 PM
I don't like it. You never hear "well, I got outcoached today," or "we've got to do a better job of coaching these kids."

The handling of the phone call infractions is another instance of this type of thing.

Is KS ever at fault for anything? It sure doesn't seem that way if you ask a certain someone with initials KS.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/23/2006, 12:05 AM
i'm for not even thinking about the men's basketball program until the women are finished with the season. It's all good there, with a rosy future most likely.

CtheB
3/23/2006, 07:07 AM
I agree.

It ain't cool to blame players. However, I get the distinct impression that this team just didn't have "it". I'm with CtheB - some new faces will do this program good.

Let me also add that I reserve judgment to change my opinion as the offseason plays out. NCAA meeting and the annual exodus of current players can make me move back to the "change now" camp.

Stoop Dawg
3/23/2006, 11:03 AM
I reserve judgment to change my opinion

Okay, Nancy! ;)

Crimsontothecore
3/23/2006, 11:35 AM
I don't like it. You never hear "well, I got outcoached today," or "we've got to do a better job of coaching these kids."

The handling of the phone call infractions is another instance of this type of thing.

Is KS ever at fault for anything? It sure doesn't seem that way if you ask a certain someone with initials KS.
My thoughts exactly. Ever listened to Stoop's after a loss? He always places full blame on himself and his staff for not preparing the team. Last time I checked, he couldn't throw, catch or make a tackle from the sidelines either, but he NEVER blames the players.

the_ouskull
3/23/2006, 12:03 PM
Well, given everything that's come to light since the season ended (ie - Terrell, et al...) I'd say that Kelvin may not be in the wrong here... I mean, anybody that watched Terrell try one of those floaters in traffic for the umpteenth time in a close game, only to get us further behind may have thought he was high... I know I did.

Everything boils down to the coach, but when he's being lied to and covered for by other players, he can only stretch so far. He expects more of his teams, and, before this year, GOT more from them... Next year, we'll be back to what we want out of a team. I guarantee it.

the_ouskull

MojoRisen
3/23/2006, 12:08 PM
NCAA does do drug testing etc, so the trainers would have know TE was postive for pot- period.

If he smoked after a devastating loss to NE that could have put us on the bubble and he is a Sr. and figured not to be tested again I am sure.

So to say he was high to cover for Sampson is another example of spinning anything we can to make KS look like he is special- and the rest of the players he recruited to OU were not good and stupid.

You go Kelvin...

LSUdeek
3/23/2006, 12:09 PM
Well, given everything that's come to light since the season ended (ie - Terrell, et al...) I'd say that Kelvin may not be in the wrong here... I mean, anybody that watched Terrell try one of those floaters in traffic for the umpteenth time in a close game, only to get us further behind may have thought he was high... I know I did.

Everything boils down to the coach, but when he's being lied to and covered for by other players, he can only stretch so far. He expects more of his teams, and, before this year, GOT more from them... Next year, we'll be back to what we want out of a team. I guarantee it.

the_ouskull

It's the coach's fault to an extent for recruiting and attempting to play headcases... especially ones with drug problems. Sometimes it can't be helped if all of your in-state talent goes elsewhere like the Landlord at Duke... JB at LSU had a number of questionable guys over the past 6 or so years, but it seems to finally be coming together.

Sampson is a class guy. He'll get it together if Joe Corleone gives him a chance.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/23/2006, 12:13 PM

I heard the same interview and I did think he was a little defensive when they brought it up but it was in the context of Bill Self and KU losing to Bradley and Sampson was defending Self and then went into an example of when we lost to Indiana in the Final 4 and when your best player is 1-12 from the field that there isn't much you can do but in that regard he is right. I don't think KU lost to Bradley because Self was an inferior coach. I think it absolutely comes down to how well the players play. He stuck up for the Big 12 pretty strong and cited how up until a few years ago the conference did't have any final 4 teams and then KU,OU,Tex,OSU all made the final 4. He also cited how Albany was taking it to UConn for 30 minutes before UConn kicked it into gear and how comes down to the players.

I wasn't upset after listening to the interview though. I could see how if you were in the anti-KS crowd you could be. I didn't think he threw OU's team under the bus any more than he just gave an honest answer to the question he was asked.

The 610 guys though are both KS fans. They interview him several times a year during hoops season.

Newbomb Turk
3/23/2006, 12:15 PM

no matter which side of the argument you are on, that's funny right there!

the_edge
3/23/2006, 12:49 PM
I'm sure it's the players' fault that the basketball program is about to be put on probation, too.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/23/2006, 12:55 PM
I'm sure it's the players' fault that the basketball program is about to be put on probation, too.

Nope. That would be squarely on KS and any other coach involved and if we get slapped hard then I think he should be gone.

But a team could go on probation and still win the year before. Look at KU.

Bourbon St Sooner
3/23/2006, 01:46 PM
I heard the same interview and I did think he was a little defensive when they brought it up but it was in the context of Bill Self and KU losing to Bradley and Sampson was defending Self and then went into an example of when we lost to Indiana in the Final 4 and when your best player is 1-12 from the field that there isn't much you can do but in that regard he is right. I don't think KU lost to Bradley because Self was an inferior coach. I think it absolutely comes down to how well the players play. He stuck up for the Big 12 pretty strong and cited how up until a few years ago the conference did't have any final 4 teams and then KU,OU,Tex,OSU all made the final 4. He also cited how Albany was taking it to UConn for 30 minutes before UConn kicked it into gear and how comes down to the players.

I wasn't upset after listening to the interview though. I could see how if you were in the anti-KS crowd you could be. I didn't think he threw OU's team under the bus any more than he just gave an honest answer to the question he was asked.

The 610 guys though are both KS fans. They interview him several times a year during hoops season.

So what you're saying is maybe we should listen to the interview ourselves rather than relying on one guy's interpretation of the interview.

Stoop Dawg
3/23/2006, 02:03 PM
So what you're saying is maybe we should listen to the interview ourselves rather than relying on one guy's interpretation of the interview.

Pfft. What fun is bashing if you have to take quotes in context?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/23/2006, 02:05 PM

Nah. Too much work. You can just take my opinion as gospel. :D

soonermaticsam
3/23/2006, 06:57 PM
Rock,
Thanks for the feedback, the interview wasn't like he was roasting the team, I guess I'm really frustrated with the way this team suffered from the same problems over and over, I still don't have a clue of what their offensive strategy was this year, I am not a KS hater, everyone has a ups and downs and I feel like this was one of KS's downs, if the players can't make your system work you gotta do some tweeking, I just didn't see that from where I sit. Insanity is doing things the same way and expecting different results. (No I'm not saying KS is insane) I wasn't initially as upset over the interview, but as I thought about the problems that didn't get worked out over the season I really felt KS shouldn't have said anything about the players. I hope KS stays at OU and kicks butt next year. I hope he finds a way to make adjustments that work, I also hope he's the first one to take a bullet for the team instead of loading the guns.

I've got no response from the radio station concerning the transcript, but I'm gonna try again. (If anyone still gives a rats arse)