PDA

View Full Version : Gentlemen, Choose Your weapon

Czar Soonerov
3/22/2006, 06:59 PM
Nail Gun vs Baseball Bat (http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2006/03/20/man_31_dies_after_assault_with_bat/)

Man, 31, dies after assault with bat
Neighbor charged; cites confrontation

By Ralph Ranalli, Globe Staff | March 20, 2006

A Roxbury man who allegedly brandished a nail gun during a fight last week died yesterday of head injuries allegedly inflicted by a neighbor who wielded a baseball bat in the confrontation, police said.
Article Tools

Frederick Montgomery, 31, died at Brigham and Women's Hospital of head trauma suffered when he was struck ''more than once" in the head with an aluminum baseball bat on March 12, said a spokesman for the Boston police, Officer Michael McCarthy, yesterday.

Police found Montgomery lying face down in the entryway of the Roxbury three-decker where he lived.

A resident of a different apartment in the Wigglesworth Street building, 39-year-old John Conley, told police he struck Montgomery with the bat during a fight, police said.

Conley told police that Montgomery came at him with a nail gun after an argument.

A nail gun was found on the floor at the scene, Suffolk County prosecutors said.

Conley was arraigned last week on a charge of assault with intent to murder, and was ordered held on $500,000 cash bail.

An autopsy was being conducted yesterday, and the results will help determine whether Montgomery's death will be ruled a homicide, McCarthy said.

If the death is ruled a homicide, it would be the city's ninth of 2006.

There were 12 homicides in Boston by this date last year, McCarthy said.

A former resident of the apartment building, who asked that his name not be used, said yesterday that Montgomery had lived in the first-floor apartment for about a year and that he had seemed to be personable.

''He was friendly. I would say hello to him every so often," the former neighbor said. ''It's just unbelievable that this happened and now he's dead."

The former neighbor, who moved out of the building in the fall, said that he did not know Conley.

Conley is scheduled to be back in court early next month, McCarthy said.

mrowl
3/22/2006, 07:01 PM
internal memo: never use a nail gun or stapler of any kind when someone is approaching with a bat.

mdklatt
3/22/2006, 07:05 PM
How can you fail to take somebody down with a nail gun? What a loser.

crawfish
3/22/2006, 07:07 PM
That's a bunch of baloney. I've played "Quake"...

GottaHavePride
3/22/2006, 07:13 PM
Peanut butter jelly with a baseball bat?

yermom
3/22/2006, 07:15 PM
How can you fail to take somebody down with a nail gun? What a loser.

i'm thinking that unless it hits you in the eye, all it's gonna do is **** you off

mdklatt
3/22/2006, 07:19 PM
i'm thinking that unless it hits you in the eye, all it's gonna do is **** you off

A stream of high-velocitiy nails? It's got to do more than that, especially if you aim for the head or the groin. It would certainly put the bat wielder into a defensive position.

mrowl
3/22/2006, 07:22 PM
A stream of high-velocitiy nails? It's got to do more than that, especially if you aim for the head or the groin. It would certainly put the bat wielder into a defensive position.

I think this should be tested on Mythbusters.

yermom
3/22/2006, 07:23 PM
i guess a shot to the face or groin would be bad, but anywhere else and adrenaline takes over and the bat guy wins, i'm not sure how many shots he'd get off, i guess it depends on the distance between them

it will suck later though :eek:

GDC
3/22/2006, 07:34 PM
Penis prank gains world honour
20 February 2006
By YVONNE MARTIN

A former Christchurch student who set his penis aflame in order to win a $1000 pub promotion has been awarded a dubious world honour.

Nearly seven years on, Thomas Hendry's bizarre feat has gained a special mention in the Darwin Awards – recognising those who have improved the human gene pool by leaving it.

To qualify for the cult-status United States awards, nominees must have lost their reproductive capacity by killing or sterilising themselves.

Hendry stopped short of the ultimate sacrifice, but features in the latest book on the awards for illustrating the innovative spirit of candidates.

"I'm tickled pink, actually," said Hendry, now 29 and running a gothic nightclub in central Melbourne.

"I am still genuinely surprised at the stir it did create. I didn't think it was that big a deal at the time."

In 1999, as a cash-strapped, 23-year-old computer trainee, Hendry came up with a zany idea to outdo his rivals at the How Far Will You Go? promotion at Trader McKendry's Tavern in central Christchurch.

He stapled his penis to a crucifix, poured cigarette lighter fluid over it, and set it ablaze before a stunned crowd, including his mother.

Hendry won $500 cash, an equivalent bar tab and worldwide infamy.

He went to a free students' medical centre the next day and had his burnt and bruised member dressed.

The macabre act made headlines in The Press, the police stepped in and the pub lost its licence for a week over Christmas.

Television New Zealand was hauled before the Broadcasting Standards Authority after the Mikey Havoc show screened a rerun of the event.

Hendry spent the prize money on his car, registering his bloodhound cross, Puss, and a one- way ticket to Australia.

Speaking from Melbourne, where he now lives with Puss, Hendry's only regret was that he did not get live footage of his winning act or even decent photographs.

He had been inspired by an earlier contestant who pierced his penis foreskin with a safety pin.

"I thought I could do better than that."

Fortifying himself with a bottle of wine, Hendry took a white pine crucifix and, with an industrial stapler, pumped 18 staples into his scrotum and foreskin.

Hendry earned a total $2600 for his efforts, including royalties from the re-enactment and photos.

But was the notoriety worth the pain?

"Absolutely. It's a fun story to have up your sleeve," Hendry said.

"I usually keep quiet about it at work when I've got a new job. But eventually something leaks out or I might let slip to someone, accidentally on purpose, just for fun.

"It's not something I have dropped into any dinner conversations with girlfriends' parents or anything like that. You have to pick your moment for sure."

As for the wooden crucifix used in his act, it is still getting him into strife.

On a visit to Christchurch last April he retrieved it from his mother's wardrobe. But on his return trip Melbourne custom officers found traces of borer and refused to let the crucifix into the country.

"It cost me $A30 ($NZ33) to fumigate it and then they released it a month later and now it is sitting in my lounge on the sideboard.

"I'll chuck it up on (internet auction site) eBay one day."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3578626a4560,00.html

IronSooner
3/22/2006, 07:50 PM
When one panda staples his furry little willie to the likeness of a crucified Jesus, that makes Jesus a saaaaaad panda.

sanantoniosooner
3/22/2006, 08:14 PM
Pinheads.

A framing nail gun has safety measures that prevent it from firing unless the tip is pressed against a target.

Unless you try to bypass that safety by holding the tip awkwardly by your second hand. Doing so while being pummeled by a bat might be difficult.

Many of these have a secondary safety that requires you to remove the gun from the target and reapply it to fire another shot.

The only nail gun that would have a chance would be one with all the safeties removed.

Mythbusters not even needed.

SoonerInKCMO
3/22/2006, 10:00 PM
Only nine homicides in Boston so far this year? Weak sauce.

sooneron
3/22/2006, 10:31 PM
Hells, we had a national honorable mention murder in NY!

KABOOKIE
3/22/2006, 10:36 PM
Pinheads.

A framing nail gun has safety measures that prevent it from firing unless the tip is pressed against a target.

Unless you try to bypass that safety by holding the tip awkwardly by your second hand. Doing so while being pummeled by a bat might be difficult.

Many of these have a secondary safety that requires you to remove the gun from the target and reapply it to fire another shot.

The only nail gun that would have a chance would be one with all the safeties removed.

Yeaaaaaaaaah. What is you people? Ignant?

LoyalFan
3/23/2006, 04:03 AM
Well, shoot! No wonder Fred died. What doofus EMT decided to take him to a hospital that only treats women and guys named Brigham? Jeebus!
St. Phisoderm's Hospital for Fred and Men was only two blocks past the other place...sad.

Sue 'em 'til they bleed, I say!

LF

GDC
3/23/2006, 09:01 AM
http://images2.jokaroo.net/images/nail-head3.jpg

http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_may2004/6_Nail_Head.htm

afs
3/23/2006, 09:26 AM
Pinheads.

This was discussed in...

detail on a CSI Miami episode

sanantoniosooner
3/23/2006, 09:30 AM
This was discussed in...

detail on a CSI Miami episode
what was their conclusion?

afs
3/23/2006, 09:34 AM
the gentleman had to rig the safety catch on the nail gun in order to use it in a murder. one lady took 3 to the chest and died, an agent took 1 to the eye and lived, but was incapacitated.

my conclusion is that if you don't know about the safety catch, the baseball bat wins but a couple of well placed shot can bring a person down.

sanantoniosooner
3/23/2006, 09:35 AM
They aren't exactly a precision tool at a distance.

Believe me. Anyone who has owned a few have played around with them.

GDC
3/23/2006, 09:37 AM
We used to work around some carpenters who had ongoing nail and staple gun battles, but this was in the seventies and early eighties so maybe they didn't have that safety feature then.

SoonerWood
3/23/2006, 09:43 AM
"An autopsy was being conducted yesterday, and the results will help determine whether Montgomery's death will be ruled a homicide, McCarthy said."

"After further investigation, we found that Montgomery's head had actually caved in on it's own, trying to figure out why the nailgun wasn't firing, before the aluminum bat had actually made contact."

sanantoniosooner
3/23/2006, 09:51 AM
We used to work around some carpenters who had ongoing nail and staple gun battles, but this was in the seventies and early eighties so maybe they didn't have that safety feature then.
Safeties USED to be designed where you could remove them easily.

Anymore they make it harder but not impossible.

If you do remove a safety, a tool repair shop will refuse to work on the gun without putting new safeties back on it.

I used to remove safeties from many tools, but I quit. I loan them out and I don't want to be responsible for somebody getting hurt.

Some allow bump firing, which means that you can hold the trigger and it will fire every time you bump the gun on the target. Others require you to reset both trigger and nosepiece.

ultimatesooner1
3/23/2006, 10:01 AM
I would rather have a weed eater to go against the baseball bat

sanantoniosooner
3/23/2006, 10:02 AM
I'd take him out with a lathe.

3/23/2006, 10:16 AM
I LOVE my nail gun.

Easily the coolest toy I own.

http://www.professional-power-tool-guide.com/Pictures/Dewalt%20Nail%20Gun.jpg

picasso
3/23/2006, 10:51 AM
I've got a brad nailer hooked up to an air compressor in my frame shop. I can pull the safety guard back and fire away all day baby.
my old business partner said a fella at his business back in the day accidentally shot himself in the heart with one. narrowly missed the aorta or something like that.

NormanPride
3/23/2006, 11:22 AM
sawz-all?

C&CDean
3/23/2006, 11:28 AM
And y'all wonder why I'm armed. A nail gun - or a bat - is no match for bang-foo.

SoonerWood
3/23/2006, 11:31 AM
huge chain saw

http://products.consumerguide.com/media/frontend/productImages/1/5/66611110062115-large-Homelite-Timberman-45-20-Inch-Chain-Saw.jpg

sanantoniosooner
3/23/2006, 11:41 AM
I LOVE my nail gun.

Easily the coolest toy I own.

http://www.professional-power-tool-guide.com/Pictures/Dewalt%20Nail%20Gun.jpg
Roofing nailer is OK because it makes a crappy job easier.

Trim nailers, brad nailers, framing nailers = fun

3/23/2006, 01:24 PM
My brad nailer is so much fun I didn't want to mention it in a family forumn.

mdklatt
3/23/2006, 01:31 PM
Trim nailers, brad nailers, framing nailers = fun

Nailing trim is fun, but I'm not into nailing Brads.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e4/BradHenry-Governer.jpg/200px-BradHenry-Governer.jpg

GDC
5/8/2006, 02:23 PM
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/060421/countdown_nailhead1_060421.hmedium.jpg

Oregon man survives 12 nails to the head
33-year-old meth user attempted suicide using nail gun, doctors say
The nails were not visible when doctors first examined the man an Oregon emergency room, so doctors were surprised when X-rays revealed six nails clustered between his right eye and ear, two below his right ear and four on the left side of his head.

Updated: 10:46 p.m. ET April 21, 2006
PORTLAND, Ore. - An Oregon man who went to a hospital complaining of a headache was found to have 12 nails embedded in his skull from a suicide attempt with a nail gun, doctors say.

Surgeons removed the nails with needle-nosed pliers and a drill, and the man survived with no serious lasting effects, according to a report on the medical oddity in the current issue of the Journal of Neurosurgery.

The unidentified 33-year-old man was suicidal and high on methamphetamine last year when he fired the nails — up to 2 inches in length — into his head one by one.

The nails were not visible when doctors first examined the man in the emergency room of an unidentified Oregon hospital a day later. Doctors were surprised when X-rays revealed six nails clustered between his right eye and ear, two below his right ear and four on the left side of his head.

The study did not say how long the nails were, and a hospital spokeswoman refused to release that information. A photo published in the study suggests the nails range from 1½ to 2 inches long.

No one before is known to have survived after intentionally firing so many foreign objects into the head, according to the report, written by Dr. G. Alexander West, the neurosurgeon who oversaw the treatment of the patient.

The man at first told doctors he had had a nail gun accident, but later admitted it was a suicide attempt.

The nails came close to major blood vessels and the brain stem but did not pierce them. The patient was in remarkably good condition when he was transferred to Oregon Health & Science University in Portland, where the nails were removed.

The patient was later transferred to psychiatric care and stayed under court order for nearly a month before leaving against doctors’ orders.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12425803/

yermom
5/8/2006, 02:51 PM
so wait, he did this a year before he got there???

and why not just OD on Meth?

Bone
6/5/2008, 11:17 AM
Should have brought the rocket launcher instead.

Fraggle145
6/5/2008, 11:38 AM
huge chain saw

http://products.consumerguide.com/media/frontend/productImages/1/5/66611110062115-large-Homelite-Timberman-45-20-Inch-Chain-Saw.jpg

weak. sauce.
http://www.americanlumberjacks.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/hotsaw06ccco.jpg

yermom
6/5/2008, 12:06 PM
q1D4IdO28JU

i'm going to guess that is something like 80 cubic inches of chainsaw right there

Bone
6/5/2008, 12:14 PM
This one looks bigger:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvAI7-Qa2Io