PDA

View Full Version : iTunes help please

soonerbrat
3/22/2006, 01:13 PM
How do i move my itunes library to my external hard drive and can i run it from there? i need to get all my music off my laptop - it's taking too much space....but i still want to be able to use it and update my iPod...

TIA

sooneron
3/22/2006, 01:16 PM
My guess would be to create an alias of the itunes library on your laptop, then put the actual file on the external. You will only be able to listen to itunes when your laptop is connected to the external.

This is taking into a guess that you are on mac. Otherwise, I have no clue.

soonerbrat
3/22/2006, 01:22 PM
no..not a mac...

TopDaugIn2000
3/22/2006, 01:25 PM
I'd say just move your music folder over to the external and update the link to it (that specific folder) in iTunes. You will always have to be connected to your external to listen to any of them though.

just my guess.

and I hope you have a USB 2.0 or firewire link to your external.

soonerbrat
3/22/2006, 01:29 PM
how do i update the link to it? the itunes help thing said not to move the library to a new site, it will just automatically make a new one.

TopDaugIn2000
3/22/2006, 01:31 PM
I have all my songs under the "my music" folder and then have them sorted by artist name in subfolders. I would just move the entire "my music" folder over to the external, then in iTunes do an "add link" or "add folder" or something like that (I don't used it all that much, but can look tonight to find the exact wording) and make a path to the new location.

none of my songs are in an iTunes folder. all where I wanted/put them in the first place

Norm In Norman
3/22/2006, 01:32 PM
Delete your tunes from itunes. Move your files over to the external then add the directory from the external drive to itunes. I can't remember the exact menu names or anything, but I did something similar.

Beano's Fourth Chin
3/22/2006, 01:34 PM
did you use the option to let iTunes organize your music for you? In other words, is it in the itunes created directory or somewhere else?

Beano's Fourth Chin
3/22/2006, 01:39 PM
Here, I figured out how to do it:

link (http://www.google.com)

Beano's Fourth Chin
3/22/2006, 01:40 PM
just kidding

Here:

http://www.uneasysilence.com/how-to-backup-your-windows-itunes/

soonerbrat
3/22/2006, 01:40 PM
did you use the option to let iTunes organize your music for you? In other words, is it in the itunes created directory or somewhere else?

yes

do i need to undo that?

soonerbrat
3/22/2006, 01:44 PM
just kidding

Here:

http://www.uneasysilence.com/how-to-backup-your-windows-itunes/

i think that's just to back it up...i want to actually use itunes from there..

Beano's Fourth Chin
3/22/2006, 01:45 PM
yes

do i need to undo that?

Probably not.

Second question, how do you get your music? Do you mostly get it from ripped cds, buy it from iTunes or download it via Bit torrent or kazaa or something like that?

soonerbrat
3/22/2006, 01:49 PM
i found how to change the location..i'm all good :)

mostly ripped CD's but a few from itunes and a few from another source :)

Beano's Fourth Chin
3/22/2006, 01:54 PM
Ok, in all seriousness, you need to put down your laptop and slowly back out of the room. When you hit the door RUN! Don't look back. Ever.

Await our phone call at Echo point Hazel. I'll call E. He'll know what to do.

soonerbrat
3/22/2006, 02:04 PM
k