PDA

View Full Version : CFN: Ranking BigXII Coaches

Octavian
3/22/2006, 12:13 PM
http://collegefootballnews.com/2006/Columnists/RC/RankingCoaches_Big12.htm

Best Coach – Bob Stoops, Oklahoma and Mack Brown, Texas – If you plotted the careers of Stoops and Brown on graph paper, they’d be intersecting right about…now. Stoops has been on a tapered decline since winning the BCS Championship in 2000. Bedlam upsets in 2001 and 2002, title game losses in 2003 and 2004 and last year’s brush with mediocrity were all signs he’s not quite ready to be beatified. Stoops has, however, won 68 games and three Big 12 titles in six years, so it’s way premature to jump off his bandwagon. Brown, on the other hand, could not be any hotter than he is today. It took a couple of Rose Bowl wins and a national championship of his own, but he’s finally getting the recognition and props he deserves. With a gun to your head and one game to play, Stoops is still the choice…provided VY isn’t within 10 miles of the stadium. Don’t be shocked if new Colorado coach Dan Hawkins joins the debate in a couple of years.

Most Underrated – Dan McCarney, Iowa State – Kirk Ferentz’s ascent into the college coaching Pantheon seems to have silenced McCarney’s achievements over in Ames. Too bad because he’s doing a bang-up job with a program that had rigor mortis when he inherited it in the mid-1990’s. McCarney almost didn’t make it out of the decade, but the administration stuck with him, and he’s paid them back with interest, winning at least seven games and earning a bowl invitation in five of the last six seasons.

Most Overrated – Dennis Franchione, Texas A&M – Franchione’s return to the state of Texas was supposed to narrow the gap between A&M and Texas and Oklahoma, but after three seasons, the opposite has happened. The coach is 0-6 versus the ‘Horns and Sooners, and has drifted way behind Texas Tech on the Big 12 South totem pole. The play of the once-proud Aggie D has been the main culprit in the program’s malaise, forcing Franchione to turn to Gary Darnell, a former Longhorn assistant, who had limited success in Austin. Season-ending wins over Colorado and Michigan earned Bill Callahan some breathing room, but he still has plenty to prove at Nebraska.

Coach on the Hot Seat – Dennis Franchione, Texas A&M – One more season like last year’s 5-6 debacle, and you can see the headlines now: Fran Canned or Fran Told to Scram. Franchione took his most talented A&M team, and promptly guided it off a cliff over the season’s final month. He’s now an unacceptable 16-19 in College Station and has had as many sub-.500 seasons in three years as the program had in the three decades before he arrived. And he had Reggie McNeal, maybe the best quarterback to ever play for the Aggies. And don’t think back-to-back Rose Bowl wins mean Mack Brown is out of the woods. Just kidding, ‘Horn fans.

Bucking for a Promotion – Mark Mangino, Kansas – It’s taken a while to get the engine started, and the transformation has not been overnight, but Mangino is gradually building a solid foundation in Lawrence. He’s begun to author some firsts that have made the Jayhawks a topic of discussion for reasons other than basketball. Last year’s winning season and Houston Bowl victory were the first time the program accomplished either in a decade. And the shocking 40-15 blowout of Nebraska last November was the first time that’d happened in 37 years. People—read: recruits—are taking notice, which will help the resurrection provided Kansas can keep others schools from luring away its coach.

Best Offensive Coordinator – Mike Leach, Texas Tech – In a league short on great offensive minds, Leach prevails in a landslide. He coordinates his own offense, which is clearly working when you consider the Red Raiders have now scored more than 400 points and ranked among the nation’s leaders in passing five years running. So fine-tuned is Leach’s system that he’s been able to plug in an average, first-year starter at quarterback for three straight years, yet still churn out points as if he’s calling plays with a joystick.

Best Defensive Coordinator – Gene Chizik, Texas – Chizik’s days as a coordinator are dwindling. The red-hot assistant riding a personal 28-game winning streak won the Broyles Award in 2004 as a member of unbeaten Auburn and helped guide Texas to a perfect season and a national championship in his first season in Austin. Chizik is an aggressive, high-energy type, whose personality has been adopted by all of the units he’s coached. Very quietly, Bill Young is doing good things with the Kansas defense.

Sooner in Tampa
3/22/2006, 12:18 PM
Seems like a pretty fair assessment to me.

Sooner47
3/22/2006, 01:30 PM
Good analysis but I'm guessing NickZepp would have some problems with it. He'd have Stoops ranked as the most overrated and on the hotseat. But that's just Nick.

Sooner in Tampa
3/22/2006, 01:45 PM
Good analysis but I'm guessing NickZepp would have some problems with it. He'd have Stoops ranked as the most overrated and on the hotseat. But that's just Nick.HEH...like anybody REALLY gives a $h!t was NickDipStick has to say.

oumartin
3/22/2006, 02:11 PM
Nick aint off the school bus yet. give him time to reply

OUDoc
3/22/2006, 02:14 PM
Stoops is still the choice…provided VY isn’t within 10 miles of the stadium.
Yup, Stoops never beat him. :rolleyes: People forget too quickly.

KStatePike
3/22/2006, 02:25 PM
I'd say they pretty much nailed it. As much as I don't like the man or the program, Mangino has done a pretty good job.

BoomerJack
3/22/2006, 04:13 PM
"Yup, Stoops never beat him. People forget too quickly."

This is a bit of a technicality don't you think? I know VY didn't start the '04 game but played a lot of minutes and was responsible for a turnover or two that put a few nails in the UT coffin.

boomersooner28
3/22/2006, 04:43 PM
Oh Nickie.......where art thou??????

yermom
3/22/2006, 05:06 PM

This is a bit of a technicality don't you think? I know VY didn't start the '04 game but played a lot of minutes and was responsible for a turnover or two that put a few nails in the UT coffin.

i think you mean '03 here

sitzpinkler
3/22/2006, 05:07 PM

Vince did start the '04 game. You're thinking of the '03 game.

Octavian
3/22/2006, 07:28 PM

and I think you missed the sarcasm....

Doc was saying that Stoops won 2 out of 3 vs. VY

yermom
3/22/2006, 07:30 PM
but technically he's 1-1 against him as a starter

Octavian
3/22/2006, 07:36 PM
but technically he's 1-1 against him as a starter

you know better...

olevetonahill
3/22/2006, 07:37 PM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
see it now ?:D

Octavian
3/22/2006, 07:40 PM
you know better...

wait...maybe I missed the sarcasm :rolleyes:

:D

yermom
3/22/2006, 07:43 PM
you know better...

yeah, but Joe Montana might not have been able to save that game ;)

JW and Clayton were on fire that day

Jello Biafra
3/22/2006, 07:44 PM
what do you think the graph would look like that covers the head coaching careers of stoops and brown? heh. one is in its infancy and like the gimp in the article said borwn won't be hotter than he is right now.....rofl. the end is nigh steer hunchers

TheGodfather889
3/22/2006, 09:27 PM
Bob Stoops is by far the best coach in the Big XII. The argument for Mack Brown goes down with the simple fact that Mack isn't a coach,he's a recruiting coordinator.

SicEmBaylor
3/22/2006, 09:30 PM
I'd say GuyMo should be tied for most under-rated.

Jello Biafra
3/22/2006, 09:32 PM

is that the mean one from the three stooges?

goingoneight
3/22/2006, 11:21 PM
don't you all think the stoops commentary was a bit too harsh? So freakin what if he lost two national championships? Did we fail to realize that those two games were against the best teams in the country??? Hence the title... NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP...
They said he is steadily declining and struggling in mediocrity... I hope Bob goes on such a winning streak that people forget who smack brown is...

Readyfor8
3/23/2006, 04:16 AM

Not so fast my friend!!! /wretch

Lets let GuyMo take Baylor to a Bowl Game before we rank him above someone who turned a cellar dweller into a Bowl Winner. Baylor is a tougher job than Kansas no doubt, but still Baylor needs a couple more accomplishments than just beating out a down Ok State team for 5th in the Big XII South.

SicEmBaylor
3/23/2006, 04:27 AM
Not so fast my friend!!! /wretch

Lets let GuyMo take Baylor to a Bowl Game before we rank him above someone who turned a cellar dweller into a Bowl Winner. Baylor is a tougher job than Kansas no doubt, but still Baylor needs a couple more accomplishments than just beating out a down Ok State team for 5th in the Big XII South.

True. However, I'd point out that a 7-4 season was only 2 OTs away.
God, I wish we could have those two overtime losses back. It physically pains me to think back on it.

tbl
3/23/2006, 09:39 AM
Most Overrated – Dennis Franchione

I've said that for a long time. The only reason he was good at TCU was Ladanian Tomlinson in the backfield.

OUDoc
3/23/2006, 11:52 AM
God, I wish we could have those two overtime losses back. It physically pains me to think back on it.
You can't have one of them. I'll let you have the other though. :D

Octavian
3/23/2006, 12:01 PM
Season-ending wins over Colorado and Michigan earned Bill Callahan some breathing room, but he still has plenty to prove at Nebraska.

to me, this is the most intriguing question in the North. I think there's a lot of Huskers who were really happy to win their bowl game who still aren't sold on Callahan. The WCO needs to show some real progress in Year 3.

Flagstaffsooner
3/23/2006, 01:32 PM
Nick aint off the school bus yet. give him time to replyShhhhhh. It's nap time.
http://www.iss.k12.nc.us/schools/shepherd/klail/photos/set3/images/nap%20time_edited.jpg

TexasLidig8r
3/23/2006, 02:28 PM

Nice moral victory.. ;)

Sorry Sic.. I had to.

Flagstaffsooner
3/23/2006, 02:38 PM
Nice moral victory.. ;)

Sorry Sic.. I had to.Abbey Hoffman to Cindy Sheenan eras. A-holes pop up every 35 years. As do the whorns.

SicEmBaylor
3/23/2006, 03:39 PM
Nice moral victory.. ;)

Sorry Sic.. I had to.

Oh I don't consider them moral victories at all. I'm pretty tired of those when you've had a program like we've had. I'm not content to say, "Well we almost won and that's great!" I'm just saying we were two overtime losses away from a 7-4 season which no matter who you are is heart wrenching.

But moral victories? Huh uh..no more of those please.

Readyfor8
3/23/2006, 04:29 PM

I'm saying it hard to take away what Mangino has done for what Guy Morris has almost done. Thats all im saying.

SicEmBaylor
3/23/2006, 04:33 PM
I'm saying it hard to take away what Mangino has done for what Guy Morris has almost done. Thats all im saying.

I'm not taking away from what Mangino has done either. I'm saying in addition to Mangino being under-rated so to is GuyMo.

I wouldn't take Mangino out of the mix at all.

rainiersooner
3/23/2006, 06:14 PM
I guess you're only as good as your last movie.

Head to Head: Stoops 5 - Brown 2
Big XII Championships: Stoops 3 - Brown 1
BCS Champtionships: Stoops 1 - Brown 1
BCS Appearances: Stoops 3 - Brown 1

You decide.

yermom
3/23/2006, 06:59 PM
I guess you're only as good as your last movie.

Head to Head: Stoops 5 - Brown 2
Big XII Championships: Stoops 3 - Brown 1
BCS Champtionships: Stoops 1 - Brown 1
BCS Appearances: Stoops 4 - Brown 2

You decide.

;)