PDA

View Full Version : Texas police arrests people at bars....for being drunk.

Hatfield
3/22/2006, 11:12 AM
Bar Sweep Sparks Controversy
Comedian Weighs In On Public Intoxication Arrests

The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission sent a message to bar patrons last week.

TABC agents and Irving police swept through 36 Irving bars and arrested about 30 people on charges of public intoxication. Agency representatives say the move came as a proactive measure to curtail drunken driving.

North Texans interviewed by NBC 5, however, worried that the sweep went too far.

At one location, for example, agents and police arrested patrons of a hotel bar. Some of the suspects said they were registered at the hotel and had no intention of driving. Arresting authorities said the patrons were a danger to themselves and others.

"Going to a bar is not an opportunity to go get drunk," TABC Capt. David Alexander said. "It's to have a good time but not to get drunk."

Dallas comedian Steve Harvey agreed with the Texas residents who said the arrests infringed on individual rights.

"If a guy's got a designated driver, go ahead and let him get toasted," Harvey told NBC 5.

Texas law states that inebriated individuals could be subjected to arrest anywhere for public intoxication. Harvey and other North Texans called the measure extreme.

"That seems to be an extreme case," one man said. "You are self-contained, in the hotel, you're not going in the streets, it seems a little ridiculous."

TABC officials said the sweep concerned saving lives, not individual rights. Harvey and others interviewed by NBC 5 said they believe drunken driving to be unacceptable, although Harvey wanted to confirm that the United States remains a free country.

"Freedom of drinking should always be allowed, and it is only American to let a guy get drunk where he wants to get drunk," Harvey said.

crawfish
3/22/2006, 11:33 AM
I hear that next they're going to break into a Weight Watcher's meeting and arrest fat people. :)

NormanPride
3/22/2006, 11:34 AM
Wow. Can we kick those guys in the nuts? What man would honestly do this to another man? Isn't that a castration-worthy offense in the Man Code?

Harry Beanbag
3/22/2006, 11:34 AM
Why does the TABC hate America?

NormanPride
3/22/2006, 11:43 AM
We should have a drink-in to protest.

Rhino
3/22/2006, 11:46 AM
How ridiculous.

He's right. I don't go to a restaurant to eat either. I just go to have a good time.

Beef
3/22/2006, 11:48 AM
My roommate got arrested and had to get TABC re-certified for over-serving a regular customer who had a designated driver and wasn't being in the least bit obnoxious. A bar is technically not supposed to serve anyone more than 2 drinks in a day. I don't think any bars in Texas would be in business if they abided by the TABC's law to the letter...and the state would lose an insane amount of revenue.

NormanPride
3/22/2006, 11:50 AM
Don't these people have better things to do? Like making sure that crazy people don't kill me?

sooner_born_1960
3/22/2006, 12:01 PM
I'd say TABC has too much money and too many employees if they can expend resources doing crap like that. That is stupid.

Rhino
3/22/2006, 12:03 PM
Don't these people have better things to do? Like making sure that crazy people don't kill me? Or making sure that crazy people don't die in mud?

Octavian
3/22/2006, 12:08 PM
it coulda been a lot worse...when dealing w/ authoritive figures in the State of Texas, you're lucky just not to get shot...

Harry Beanbag
3/22/2006, 12:11 PM
"If drunk driving is such a big deal, why do all bars have parking lots?"

-George Carlin

Tear Down This Wall
3/22/2006, 12:20 PM
It's all true, drunkenness is only allowed in private places, like a private club (i.e., a country club) or your own home. Restaurants, bars, etc. that are not private are fair game for TABC agents...unfortunately.

TUSooner
3/22/2006, 01:38 PM
That's just F***ing stupid.
OTOH, I found something that Louisiana is the BEST STATE at:
letting people drink!!

Dio
3/22/2006, 02:02 PM
"I was drunk in a bar- you threw me into pub-lick"

Taxman71
3/22/2006, 02:07 PM
It's no big deal. In a few years, everyone will meet up on Myspace and head straight to the chick's house for booze and booty. Singles bars will be obsolete.

KABOOKIE
3/22/2006, 02:54 PM
99.97% of 'em.

But of course they're just enforcing the law. :rolleyes:

FaninAma
3/22/2006, 03:48 PM
I think it's time we vote some liberals back into office. They only hate smoking.

Hamhock
3/22/2006, 03:51 PM
I have a friend that is a cop. A few of the pr*ck cops do this. He always goes to lunch or finds a kitten to rescue when they do this.

Even most cops think this is a sorry move.

jk the sooner fan
3/22/2006, 04:07 PM
most cops dont "hawk" bar parking lots, much less actually go inside the damn bar and arrest them inside....thats just nuts

the TABC has limited police authority....they're easily bored

3/22/2006, 04:08 PM
Jk, you seem like the "good" .03%.

jk the sooner fan
3/22/2006, 04:10 PM
i was fair, and i treated everybody with respect.....always

i kept my personal feelings to myself until later ;)

1stTimeCaller
3/22/2006, 04:11 PM
Jk, you seem like the "good" .03%.
it's because he's retired. The retired cops make up the .03% ;) :D

jk the sooner fan
3/22/2006, 04:14 PM
heh......i can actually say that i'm probably one of the few cops i know that got a christmas card from a guy he put in jail.......dude at fort hood capped his wife when she was 9 mos pregnant (they saved the baby).......he gets 20, and sends me a card thanking me for the way i treated him

mmmmmmkay

Beef
3/22/2006, 04:16 PM
I would let jk arrest me
NTTAWTT

1stTimeCaller
3/22/2006, 04:18 PM
NTTAWTT

it was frisk me, damnit get it right ;)

jk the sooner fan
3/22/2006, 04:19 PM
you remember the frisk that Matt Dillon's character did in crash?

memories......

Harry Beanbag
3/22/2006, 04:20 PM

memories......

Is that what you're dreaming of doing to 1tc?

1stTimeCaller
3/22/2006, 04:21 PM

memories......

I haven't seen the movie but it sounds like fun!!

jk the sooner fan
3/22/2006, 04:22 PM
they dont call it "cop a feel" for nothing

Jerk
3/22/2006, 04:25 PM
Sounds to me like an operation to justify some government employees' job.

"Sir, you're drunk"

"No sh**, I'm in a bar"

3/22/2006, 04:49 PM
heh......i can actually say that i'm probably one of the few cops i know that got a christmas card from a guy he put in jail.......dude at fort hood capped his wife when she was 9 mos pregnant (they saved the baby).......he gets 20, and sends me a card thanking me for the way i treated him

Did someone cue the pron music?

jk the sooner fan
3/22/2006, 04:51 PM
there was nobody there to help me read my mail!

mrowl
3/22/2006, 04:55 PM
I f'ing hate the TABC... and the alcohol laws in texas.

The state has a budget crisis, and they waste money on **** like this.

Cam
3/22/2006, 07:13 PM
Ghey, nothing but.