PDA

View Full Version : Houston man goes Chuck Norris

Jerk
3/22/2006, 09:17 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'I ... have no remorse now for killing a man'

Bill Harvey can't explain why he's alive to tell how he wrestled a gun from a robber, shot the man and then survived a barrage of bullets from the suspect's three accomplices.

The violent scene unfolded about 6 p.m. Saturday inside Harvey's west Houston home in the 2200 block of Woodland Park Drive while his wife and five children watched.

"I don't know what to think," Harvey, 34, said Sunday. "I absolutely have no remorse now for killing a man, and I'm trying to figure out if that's right or wrong."

Police said Harvey would not face criminal charges. He was shot in the neck, side and lower back. The wound to his neck barely missed his carotid artery.

The name of the intruder Harvey shot has not been confirmed. He wasn't carrying any identification http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_bandit.gif but investigators said they found an electronic hotel door key in his pocket.

"We're trying to see who he might have been with," said Houston Police Sgt. J.T. Wyers.

Harvey gave this account of the night of the gunfight:

The men showed up at his house posing as customers to the family's shipping business, which transports goods to Honduras. Hondurans living in Houston often use the service to send goods back to family and friends, Harvey said.

Demanded money -

Before the men arrived at his home, someone called Harvey to ask if he had any shipping boxes. Though an unusual request on a Saturday, Harvey told the caller he had some at his home.

Four Spanish-speaking men seeking boxes arrived outside Harvey's home about 15 minutes later. While showing the men boxes in his garage, they pulled out guns and ordered Harvey and his wife to give them money. Inside, the men rounded up the couple's five children in the living room and stood guard over them.

The men repeatedly pointed their weapons at the heads of family members as they demanded money. One man vaguely threatened Harvey by telling him not to worry because he would be sleeping after they left.

"I knew he was going to kill me," Harvey said.

As one man stood guard over Harvey in the kitchen, another took his wife into another room to seek her jewelry.

"After they took my wife I knew I had to do something," he said. "I felt I had to react."

He wrestled the gun out of his captor's hands then shot him dead before the other three men ran back toward the kitchen. A shootout followed as the men fired their weapons at Harvey. He was struck three times as he returned fire until emptying the gun in his hand. His wife and children were unharmed.

"They came out spraying bullets at me," he said. "I wasn't trying to dodge the bullets. I was walking right up to the men to shoot them because I thought I was gonna be killed."

Description of car -

After Harvey left the hospital Sunday, he and his family returned home to gather some belongings before spending the night with family members. Crime scene investigators marked 21 bullet holes and casings.

"It was a miracle to walk in that house and see all those bullets," Harvey said. "I don't know how my family wasn't grazed and I didn't get hit more than three times."

Police believe at least one of the other men was shot before they fled the home in a late-model gray or silver Honda Accord with temporary license plates.

Harvey's wife later told police she thought the intruders might be from Honduras. "They all spoke Spanish — she thought it was a Honduran accent," Wyers said.

Although the investigation into the armed robbery is continuing, Wyers said police believe Harvey's account.

Can we all pitch in for a fundraiser to buy this man his own gun?

Hatfield
3/22/2006, 09:57 AM
his own gun wouldn't have been helpful in that situation.

(just saying)

Czar Soonerov
3/22/2006, 10:29 AM
Reminds me of that movie History of Violence.

SoonerWood
3/22/2006, 11:06 AM

(just saying)

It would have if he kept one properly tucked in his belt.

Hatfield
3/22/2006, 11:15 AM
or in his hands cocked and loaded at all times....can't believe that guy wasn't packing heat while conducting business.

SoonerWood
3/22/2006, 11:20 AM
or in his hands cocked and loaded at all times....can't believe that guy wasn't packing heat while conducting business.

Seeing how things turned out, I guess he didn't need to. :D

Hatfield
3/22/2006, 11:27 AM
yes, the story left out the part where as a small child he was trained as a ninja aboard a pirate ship.

jrsooner
3/22/2006, 01:18 PM
(just saying)Texas has right to carry laws and license. If he had his own gun and license...yep...it would have mattered.