PDA

View Full Version : Mizzou interviewing Steve Alford

william_brasky
3/21/2006, 11:56 PM
just mentioned on ESPN

oumartin
3/22/2006, 12:01 AM
Good, I was worried they might get a good coach and pass OU by.
now we'll be on equal footing.

william_brasky
3/22/2006, 12:07 AM
It kinda shocks me that Mizzou would go after another ex-pretty boy shooter to be their head coach. Majerus was being mentioned early on, but it seems to have faded.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/22/2006, 10:05 AM
Well they decided that Bob Huggins,Jim Harrick and Ray Nagin wouldn't work so they went a different direction. Right now though I think Iowa might drive Alford to the airport. I think Alford could probably help MU a lot more by playing for them instead of coaching them.

AllAboutThe'O'
3/22/2006, 04:06 PM
And I've also heard that Indiana isn't really interested in bringing Alford "back home." In hindsight, I think it's a smart move by them.
You know the saying about sometimes the superstars don't make the greatest coaches or managers? Well, I would lump Alford into that category. Not saying he's not a good coach, which he is, but he's not a great coach.
I'm sure a change of scenery might do him good, but I don't think Missouri is that place for him right now.

Collier11
3/22/2006, 04:34 PM
Well they decided that Bob Huggins,Jim Harrick and Ray Nagin wouldn't work so they went a different direction. Right now though I think Iowa might drive Alford to the airport. I think Alford could probably help MU a lot more by playing for them instead of coaching them.

Nagin still might get an interview but only if he drops his request to make columbia a "chocolate columbia"

SUPERFAN
3/22/2006, 05:47 PM
What would be scary is if they went after a coach like Mike Anderson at UAB...

Collier11
3/22/2006, 05:51 PM
Mizzou is a goldmine, if they get a GOOD coach watchout

OUstud
3/22/2006, 09:26 PM
One of my friends is an Iowa fan, and his dad has called him on numerous occasions Steve "I can't win a damn game" Alford. Warrents mentioning.

william_brasky
3/22/2006, 10:27 PM
Mizzou is a goldmine, if they get a GOOD coach watchout

No kidding. I'm glad to see Huggins considering K-State and not Mizzou. If Huggins were at Mizzou, there would be an immediate new power in the Big 12. There may be one in Manhattan if Huggins takes the deal. A few top players in the nation have stated that if Huggins is to become head coach at any school, they'll follow him there.

oumartin
3/22/2006, 10:31 PM
I'm concerned. Mizzou looks like they are fixing to miss but K-state hit a home run if they landed him. so that means.
kansas, k-state, texas, texas A&M, possibly OSU, are looking to leave OU in the dust.

Collier11
3/23/2006, 12:13 AM
Mizzou just got permission to speak with Uab's coach and pitts coach, look out

william_brasky
3/23/2006, 12:57 AM
Mizzou just got permission to speak with Uab's coach and pitts coach, look out

With either coach they'll be really good. With the Pitt Coach, watch the F out.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/23/2006, 12:42 PM
Guys, MU is literally a train wreck right now. Mike Alden the AD is less popular than John Blake was after Nebraska hung 77 on us. MU has spent more energy in the last month trying to determine whether Alden sent Gary Link to fire Snyder than actually getting a new coach. There best player, albeit most selfish Gardner is going pro and they have a mediocre recruiting class coming in. It is going to take a good coach several years to turn that program around and right now candidates can't say no fast enough. MU won't turn the corner until their AD is fired and possbily tarred and feathered and the house is cleaned.

Now Huggins at KSU could make them good fairly quickly. I don't think he will have the success he had at Cincy but they could be a tourney team and certainly a contender for conf titles in a couple years especially with the power void at MU.

Collier11
3/23/2006, 03:19 PM
With a good coach such as Anderson or Dixon and a good recruiting class, mizzou could be back easily, theyre sanctions are over so thats not a problem

AllAboutThe'O'
3/23/2006, 03:21 PM
I'm concerned. Mizzou looks like they are fixing to miss but K-state hit a home run if they landed him. so that means.
kansas, k-state, texas, texas A&M, possibly OSU, are looking to leave OU in the dust.
The way things are going, even Baylor could also leave us in the dust sometime down the road.

Collier11
3/23/2006, 03:35 PM
Ive got a question guys. Recently in the Daily Oklahoman, Kelvin said that he is looking to change his offense to more of a uptempo offense to better suit the athletes that he has recruited, but hasnt he said this in the off-season for about the past 3 or 4 years and done nothing to change the offense??

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/23/2006, 03:56 PM
With a good coach such as Anderson or Dixon and a good recruiting class, mizzou could be back easily, theyre sanctions are over so thats not a problem

I wouldn't say easily but a good coach could bring them back. I don't see why Dixon would want to leave Pitt for MU. That isn't really a step up. Anderson might and that could be a pretty good fit.

Whatever coach takes over at MU next year is going to have a tough time winning more than 12-13 games with the (lack of) talent coming back and an average class coming in. Of their returning players, unless Gardner comes back Marshall Brown looks like the only player good enough to start for almost any other Big 12 teams. A very good class and a couple good jucos in a year might have them back. MU will be back strong eventually but I think they are going to have to settle for a 7th or 8th choice at coach and struggle for a few more years.

As for changing OU's offense, I don't think much will change or really need to change. Two things could up the tempo and take advantage of a quicker team. 1. Improving pressure defense in the halfcourt and getting more break opportunities off of steals and bad shots. 2. On made shots, inbounding the ball faster and getting down the court quicker and starting the offense earlier as opposed to crossing halfcourt with 27 seconds on the shot clock and starting the offense at 24-25 sec. The better we do option 1 the less we need option 2 but they both can work.

oumartin
3/23/2006, 03:58 PM
Don't know if Kelvins said it or not. but he better get his stuff together or they'll be in the bottom third of the big 12 very quick.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/23/2006, 04:50 PM
Don't know if Kelvins said it or not. but he better get his stuff together or they'll be in the bottom third of the big 12 very quick.

If we are on probation it may happen but otherwise we will still be one of the better teams in the conference. I don't see MU,Colo,Neb,TT,ISU and OSU looking too terribly scary right now. Huggins should make KSU a good team but I put about a 1/3 chance that he puts the program in 3-4 years in so much trouble that Jim Harrick would look like a good hire and Gillespie will not be at A&M very long. Baylor looks to be improving but we still look better.

I know you are tired of KS but I don't think a 1st place and 3rd place finish coupled with a top 5 recruiting class = an 8th place finish, barring probation causing us to lose some players.

The question is though if you think OU will be in the bottom 3rd of the Big 12 next year and they finish 3rd or 4th did KS overachieve?

oumartin
3/23/2006, 05:03 PM
if they finish in the top of the big 12 I'll give it up to him.
Its not that I'm tired of him.
I wanted him to change his style. then with the rumor of him saying some things about wanting out then I wanted him to leave. I dont' want someone coaching at OU if they don't wanna coach here.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/23/2006, 05:40 PM
My take on comment about whether he wanted out or not is that it is probably something that his agent, (presumably with permission) floated out there as potential leverage. Usually it helps getting a raise/extension but it could have been in order to get the "vote of confidence" statement. Not to say that it worked with Joe C. I think even in the case of coach Stoops that often when his name comes up in connection with other jobs that it is an agent just trying to create a little more demand. In Stoops case I think coupled with his success it has helped make him a lot of $. I don't think it is uncommon. In some cases like Gary Barnett I think it happened about every other week. It could have been just rumor though.

I do think most DI programs would have KS on their short list of coaches if they had a job available and he was seeking one. I don't think he was really looking to leave right when he has his best class ever coming in.

I don't know how much the style will change a lot. When we had Bookout and Gray on the floor I don't see how playing up and down the court was the best idea. We will see how good Williams, James, Crocker, etc are as far as scoring and how much Griffin and Longar progress. I think there is no question though that we should have a much quicker line-up on the floor next year and we should at least have the personnel to run.

soonermaticsam
3/23/2006, 07:15 PM
Guys, MU is literally a train wreck right now. Mike Alden the AD is less popular than John Blake was after Nebraska hung 77 on us. MU has spent more energy in the last month trying to determine whether Alden sent Gary Link to fire Snyder than actually getting a new coach. There best player, albeit most selfish Gardner is going pro and they have a mediocre recruiting class coming in. It is going to take a good coach several years to turn that program around and right now candidates can't say no fast enough. MU won't turn the corner until their AD is fired and possbily tarred and feathered and the house is cleaned.

True Dat! This is why I hate MU, they run their football and bball programs like a bunch of losers, when the bar that hosts the ADs radio program says your not welcome here anymore, you know your in trouble, I would be shocked to see a great coach go to MU, they might be able to bring up a promising mid-major coach who could surprise people, I think that's the only chance they have to start rebuilding, they are in a deep dark hole right now, (and somehow that makes me happy).

Collier11
3/23/2006, 07:37 PM
Alden is gone pretty soon guys, I would count on it...after the bad handling of the football program, the bad handling of the coach snyders firing, and the sanctions...He is rather unpopular and Mizzou loves their bball program