PDA

View Full Version : Question for you Landman/Oil and Gas people...

Triumph
3/21/2006, 07:58 PM
I have a question for Land people. How great is the need for land people right now. The reason I ask is my wife has several years experience as an Abstractor and has a degree from OU. We were talking the other night and she mentioned that she would like to get into the Oil and gas land thing. We live in Edmond and she would love to get something maybe part time.

I guess I want to know what type of jobs are available for someone like her.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jerk
3/21/2006, 08:14 PM
My grandmother did that for years and years, and she is just now retiring. She also kept the books, paid the bills, etc, for a small exploration company. I believe she made anywhere from 40K to 60K, but she did not have a degree- and probably would have made more if she did. I'll ask her about it next time we talk - she recently moved to Mexico de'norte to relax and take life easy in those east texas pines.

I worked for Stewart Abstract and Title for a few years. Based on this experience, and what I saw my grandma do at her oil & gas co., I'd say the work is tedious and boring, but something that women excel at and men suck at (mainly because we can't multi-task as good as fems do)

Has she thought about going into law school and getting into title law? Lawyers are paid pretty well to look at a property and rubber stamp it as "okay" (make sure the title is good, no liens, etc)

IB4OU2
3/21/2006, 08:33 PM
Check companies like Marathon Oil, or Sampsons in Tulsa. I worked for Amoco now BP back in the eighties and worked with many Landpersons back in the day while designing and developing seismic equipment for oil exploration.

Triumph
3/22/2006, 10:25 AM
My grandmother did that for years and years, and she is just now retiring. She also kept the books, paid the bills, etc, for a small exploration company. I believe she made anywhere from 40K to 60K, but she did not have a degree- and probably would have made more if she did. I'll ask her about it next time we talk - she recently moved to Mexico de'norte to relax and take life easy in those east texas pines.

I worked for Stewart Abstract and Title for a few years. Based on this experience, and what I saw my grandma do at her oil & gas co., I'd say the work is tedious and boring, but something that women excel at and men suck at (mainly because we can't multi-task as good as fems do)

Has she thought about going into law school and getting into title law? Lawyers are paid pretty well to look at a property and rubber stamp it as "okay" (make sure the title is good, no liens, etc)

Lol, no law school is out of the question. We were looking for something just part time.