PDA

View Full Version : DE's thread in the cool kids forum reminded me of something

1stTimeCaller
3/21/2006, 05:25 PM
I saw on Mythbusters that a duck's quack does have an echo.

discuss.

Beef
3/21/2006, 05:27 PM
We do not discuss the other forum on this one.

1stTimeCaller
3/21/2006, 05:33 PM
we're not. We're discussing the fact that a duck's quack does echo.

Well, noone is discussing it I just threw it out there. The secret is still safe.

NormanPride
3/21/2006, 05:37 PM
How did they prove this? I want to see this episode.

1stTimeCaller
3/21/2006, 05:39 PM
super duper high tech sound equipment. Apparently the quack itself is shaped like an echo when recorded and displayed showing frequency or something. They had a hard time but the expert guy finally noticed the echo.

proud gonzo
3/21/2006, 05:40 PM
weird. I also missed that episode

NormanPride
3/21/2006, 05:42 PM
That is completely awesome. We spent hundreds of thousands of dollars developing awesome sound equipment so we can prove a quack has an echo. I love science. :D

And no, I'm not being sarcastic.

1stTimeCaller
3/21/2006, 05:46 PM
That is completely awesome. We spent hundreds of thousands of dollars developing awesome sound equipment so we can prove a quack has an echo. I love science. :D

And no, I'm not being sarcastic.

they went to some company that makes super high end speakers for concert halls and arenas and the like. Their staff engineer was doing the recordings and calculations.

C&CDean
3/21/2006, 05:47 PM
I don't know about quacks, but when you stand on my back porch and yell at night there's one hell of an echo. When you do it in the daytime, no echo.

Explain.

1stTimeCaller
3/21/2006, 05:50 PM
It's gotta be the power of the pink hat.

That and nighttime in the country rawks.

NormanPride
3/21/2006, 06:02 PM
I don't know about quacks, but when you stand on my back porch and yell at night there's one hell of an echo. When you do it in the daytime, no echo.

Explain.

Daytime sounds allow for interference?

TopDawg
3/21/2006, 06:06 PM

Explain.

You sure it's an echo and not just the voices in your head from drinkin one too many Natty Lites?

Howzit
3/21/2006, 06:26 PM

Explain.

More ambient sound waves during the day acting to cancel out your yell.

mdklatt
3/21/2006, 06:38 PM

Explain.

Temperature inversions on a cold, clear night probably create an excellent sound channel.

NormanPride
3/21/2006, 06:41 PM
You could use the Star Trek answer. Tachyons.

crawfish
3/21/2006, 06:44 PM
I hear an echo from every post in this thread.

IB4OU2
3/21/2006, 07:12 PM

Explain.

The nocturnal skunk ape's yelling back? :confused: