PDA

View Full Version : Four QBs vie for starting job at Oklahoma State

sooner_champak
3/21/2006, 11:37 AM
Do you guys think this should be the attitude of a football coach.

They were 4-7 last year and he says "If we limit the turnovers, you put yourself in a position to win two or three more games," Gundy said.

It still makes 7-4 and not good enough. If the attitude of the coach is to have 7-4 season then you have lost the game and the season even before it starts.

Thank god we have a coach who feels we should win all games and give a fight.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2377466

Harry Beanbag
3/21/2006, 12:00 PM
Well, it is OSU. 7-4 is a great season for them.

The Consumate Showman
3/21/2006, 12:08 PM
They might hang a banner in G-IBA for a 7-4 season........

Widescreen
3/21/2006, 12:28 PM
Remember when they started the season 3-0 last year? Good times.

yermom
3/21/2006, 12:30 PM
well, if they were saying the could go undefeated and win a crystal football we'd say they were delusional

they are lucky to get to, let alone win a bowl game ;)

of course at a couple points in last season, we were kinda worried if we'd make one...

FlatheadSooner
3/21/2006, 01:02 PM
Well, it is OSU. 7-4 is a great season for them.

Goals should be realistic.
:D

The Consumate Showman
3/21/2006, 01:13 PM
For Gumby's purposes, realism should be limited to a 5-6 record this year IMO......

I think it's hilarious that Bobby Reid, Mr. Universe (as one of my colleagues put it to me), is having to fight Al PenaColida and two frosh for the strating job......

sooneron
3/21/2006, 01:26 PM
Face it, 1-11 , with a win over OU, is a great season for them!

JohnnyMack
3/21/2006, 02:07 PM
How Gundy handled the Woods/Reid/Pena situation to me speaks volumes as to what kind of coach he is. Clueless.

Not putting Reid in and letting him become the leader in a trial by fire manner a la Brett Rhomar could end up costing him his job.

The Mullet should have put Reid out there as the starting QB and let him have the team. They weren't good enough to contend for much last year and Reid needed the season to learn, get some experience and solidify himself as the unquestioned leader of the team.

The Mullet instead decides to scuttle Reid's confidence and go with the Mexican Interception Machine. Nice job sh*thead.

Reid is hands down the most talented player at the QB position, he's raw, but the d00d oozes talent.

RiddlerOK
3/21/2006, 02:21 PM
Too much hype went Reid's way last year. He was at best, a major dissapointment. If he really has the talent and capability, it will surface this year.

snp
3/21/2006, 02:36 PM
Isn't it funny how the two most talked about players OSU has gotten in the past few years, XLK and Bobby Reid haven't amounted to sh*t?

Swing and a whiff.

JohnnyMack
3/21/2006, 02:39 PM
Isn't it funny how the two most talked about players OSU has gotten in the past few years, XLK and Bobby Reid haven't amounted to sh*t?

Swing and a whiff.

I don't think Bomar looked any better than Reid did at the outset of last season. Difference is our coaching staff didn't panic and the Mullet did.

snp
3/21/2006, 02:39 PM
I didn't watch enough of Reid to juidge how he progressed, but at least you could see Bomar was getting better. And he didn't get pulled in favor of Reid. Maybe there was no progression and that's why the Mexican Interception Machine took over.

Soonerwake
3/21/2006, 02:51 PM
I watched Reid last year at the OSU-Baylor game(went with the Aggie father-in-law). First, what a pathetic display of football. No offense to SicEm, but the atmosphere was similar to a UCO game. Second, Reid is lost. And by lost, I mean can't find his a** with both hands lost. Wow, he can't read defenses, can't make a simple throw to a wide-open man in the flats, throws it right to Baylor defenders inside his own 20 twice. If he's the starter to begin the season, they are in trouble.

NormanPride
3/21/2006, 03:02 PM
HAY GUYS REED WAS IMJURED LAST YEAR HE DIDNT PLAY HIS BEAST LAY OF[/idiot aggy]

C&CDean
3/21/2006, 03:07 PM
Maybe we should just start a no orange Tuesday. Who gives a **** about osu?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/21/2006, 03:13 PM
It will probably come down to who can best run that crazy-azz, hurry-up goal line offense...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/21/2006, 03:17 PM
man, you'd think he'd at least let the ponca city QB try out. he's pretty familiar with their practice facility.

CobraKai
3/21/2006, 03:28 PM
How Gundy handled the Woods/Reid/Pena situation to me speaks volumes as to what kind of coach he is. Clueless.

Not putting Reid in and letting him become the leader in a trial by fire manner a la Brett Rhomar could end up costing him his job.

The Mullet should have put Reid out there as the starting QB and let him have the team. They weren't good enough to contend for much last year and Reid needed the season to learn, get some experience and solidify himself as the unquestioned leader of the team.

The Mullet instead decides to scuttle Reid's confidence and go with the Mexican Interception Machine. Nice job sh*thead.

Reid is hands down the most talented player at the QB position, he's raw, but the d00d oozes talent.

In fairness to Gundy, his haircut is more of a polyurethane, badger-like skull cap than a mullet (kind of like the one Max Headroom wore). Everything else is right on though.

OUstud
3/21/2006, 04:57 PM
So now they have 4 suck QBs instead of just 2. This should be fun.

IronSooner
3/21/2006, 05:19 PM
As much as I hate talking about osu, there's some real gold in this thread.

SicEmBaylor
3/21/2006, 05:26 PM
No offense to SicEm, but the atmosphere was similar to a UCO game. Second, Reid is lost.

Our fanbase needs help.

Soonerwake
3/21/2006, 11:39 PM
Our fanbase needs help.

You just need more of them. Butts in the seats will cure almost anything. :)

goingoneight
3/21/2006, 11:59 PM
Do you guys think this should be the attitude of a football coach.

They were 4-7 last year and he says "If we limit the turnovers, you put yourself in a position to win two or three more games," Gundy said.

It still makes 7-4 and not good enough. If the attitude of the coach is to have 7-4 season then you have lost the game and the season even before it starts.

Thank god we have a coach who feels we should win all games and give a fight.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2377466

Mediocrity is not fun, in that same tone, I present KELVIN SAMPSON...
Let's get into the tourney, year in, year out... let a good lead go, and finish first round. Good enough to keep your job, but where is the greatness?

OU is built on excellence, nopt mediocrity.
OSU... they're growing, right? :O "Someday," they say... "someday."

goingoneight
3/22/2006, 12:00 AM
Remember when they started the season 3-0 last year? Good times.

not really, cuz we were 1-2, not cool... not cool.

goingoneight
3/22/2006, 12:12 AM
Were talking about a school who had one of the greatest coaches ever (Jimmy Johnson), the greatest RB ever (Barry Sanders), very weak schedules, an undying load of lucky breaks...

and they STILL haven't delivered anything more than a half-conference title years ago, and one Heisman winner. BCS??? no. MNC??? no. All Americans??? not any that stick out in my mind.

If Gumby is shooting for seven wins, may they be against

One High School Non-Conference opponents, Texass, Texass Tech, Texass A&M, and three north opponents every year.

Therefore, they are bowl eligible, blown away by OU, sent home crying after being swept in bowl, and rambling about next year.

This is all a Sooner can hope for, that they at least LOOK like competition. Although [OU 84 - OSU 16] doesn't look like much competiton.

Cam
3/22/2006, 04:52 AM
Face it, 1-11 , with a win over OU, is a great season for them!
And we'd never stop hearing about the 1...

SoonerDood
3/23/2006, 11:30 PM
HAY GUYS REED WAS IMJURED LAST YEAR HE DIDNT PLAY HIS BEAST LAY OF[/idiot aggy]
heez the bayest Athlete on thuh teem!!