PDA

View Full Version : wasn't there a discussion about asparagus...

fadada1
3/20/2006, 05:09 PM
and the subsequent odor of one's bladderly discharge????

i seem to remember someone(s) saying that it made your pee smell good. i'm sad to say that this simply isn't the case. not only does asparagus smell bad going in... it smells TERRIBLE after your body has processed it into a liquid waste product.

NASTY!!!!!

Mongo
3/20/2006, 05:41 PM
Agreed, Stinky, very stinky

TopDaugIn2000
3/20/2006, 05:48 PM
yes, makes it stinky, and that was my thread

alberton's had asparagus on sale last week for $1/lb. I had it 3 nights last week and will have it another 3 this week. heh.

Mjcpr
3/20/2006, 06:42 PM
How do you all cook it? I like it grilled.

mdklatt
3/20/2006, 06:57 PM

Grilled marinated asparagus is awesome, but I'm not sure what the best marinade for it is.

BeetDigger
3/20/2006, 07:27 PM

Steamed. Although the wife bakes it with some parmsean on top and it tastes pretty good.

TopDaugIn2000
3/20/2006, 07:41 PM
I'll only eat it grilled

Olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic.

squeeze a little fresh lemon juice over it when you take it off the grill

WONDERFUL

soonerbrat
3/20/2006, 08:00 PM
wrap it with bacon or prosciutto and bake it.

GDC
3/20/2006, 08:22 PM
I was once in Germany at the time of the asparagus harvest. Those people go ape**** over it, especially the white.

TopDaugIn2000
3/20/2006, 08:45 PM
I was once in Grmany at the time of the asparagus harvest. Those people go apesit over it, especially the white.

oh yes, they take it VERY seriously. I was there during that time too. went to some little farming community and had FRESH white asparagus, picked that morning and MUST BE COOKED before noon for "freshness".

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/21/2006, 11:34 AM
The Soonerovs and I ate it fried on Friday

TopDaugIn2000
3/21/2006, 11:43 AM
where did you have that???? I've never tried it fried.

I was lazy and put it in the oven last night, cause it was REALLY windy and cold last night to be using the grill. I used the usual seasoning and just baked it in a glass dish until done, but still crispy. It was good, but not AS good.

KaiserSooner
3/21/2006, 11:49 AM
Grilled asparagus is the best. All you need to do is lather it with some melted butter, then grill. Great stuff.

And yeah, it definitely makes yer urine smell. I think I read somewhere that it's the excess amino acid in asparagus that's responsible for it.

Harry Beanbag
3/21/2006, 11:55 AM
wrap it with bacon or prosciutto and bake it.

You can wrap anything in bacon and it'll be good.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/21/2006, 11:57 AM
where did you have that???? I've never tried it fried.

Mickey Mantles. They put some crab and bearnaise sauce on it too, just a little bit. Delish!

LoyalFan
3/21/2006, 01:15 PM
The "fragrance" factor is mentioned in "Love in The Time of Cholera" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez...just sayin'.
Mine sorta smells like a blend of Tanqueray and Maker's Mark, with a hint of olive. We are, after all, what we imbibe.

LoyalFan

proud gonzo
3/21/2006, 01:21 PM
My german grandma loves asparagus.

I've never tried it.

Mjcpr
3/21/2006, 01:22 PM
My german grandma loves asparagus.

I've never tried it.

You're probably allergic to it anyway.

:D

proud gonzo
3/21/2006, 01:24 PM
You're probably allergic to it anyway.

:D
actually, you might be right.... I don't remember :D (I really should get a copy of that list of stuff i'm allergic to... :O )

BeetDigger
3/21/2006, 01:59 PM
(I really should get a copy of that list of stuff i'm allergic to... :O )

You might not want to do that, it may mean that one of you has to move out of the house. :eddie:

NormanPride
3/21/2006, 02:20 PM
You might not want to do that, it may mean that one of you has to move out of the house. :eddie:

Yeah, and it's a GREAT way to get out of things.

GHP: Do the dishes.
PG: I'm allergic to dishwashing.

Music Instructor: Play this etude.
PG: I'm allergic to Wagner.

See? You're set for life.

TopDaugIn2000
3/22/2006, 11:56 AM
MSN has an article titled: Season’s Eatings: The Top 10 Healthiest Foods for Spring
link (http://health.msn.com/dietnutrition/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100101296&GT1=7850)

Asparagus is #1
1. Asparagus. “Asparagus is the trumpet that announces spring has arrived,” says Gabriel Langholtz, special project manager of New York City’s Greenmarkets. Rich in vitamins A and C, calcium, iron and folate (the world’s most common vitamin deficiency), asparagus has been prized for its culinary and medicinal purposes since ancient times. Choose asparagus stalks that are rounded, with firm, thin stems and dark green or purplish closed tips. Just one cup of cooked asparagus provides 67 percent of the daily requirement for folate, essential for heart health and prevention of birth defects.

C&CDean
3/22/2006, 12:04 PM
Any ****in' hillbilly can grow asparagus. It's like weeds. It just takes off and goes. And it's GREAT. I had cream of asparagus soup yesterday. I like it raw, grilled, sauteed, baked, in soups/casseroles, any way you do it it's great.

Of course I like everything except guts and really fishy fish, so my opinion isn't really fair.

IB4OU2
3/22/2006, 12:34 PM
Any ****in' hillbilly can grow asparagus. It's like weeds. It just takes off and goes. And it's GREAT. I had cream of asparagus soup yesterday. I like it raw, grilled, sauteed, baked, in soups/casseroles, any way you do it it's great.

Of course I like everything except guts and really fishy fish, so my opinion isn't really fair.

Is it great with shrimp Bubba?

GDC
3/30/2006, 09:09 AM
WHY DOES YOUR PEE SMELL WHEN YOU EAT ASPARAGUS?
Asparagus contains a sulfur compound called mercaptan. It is also found in onions, garlic, rotten eggs, and in the secretions of skunks. The signature smell occurs when this substance is broken down in your digestive system. Not all people have the gene for the enzyme that breaks down mercaptan, so some of you can eat all the asparagus you want without stinking up the place. One study published in the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology found that only 46 percent of British people tested produced the odor while 100 percent of French people tested did..

opksooner
3/30/2006, 12:04 PM
WHY DOES YOUR PEE SMELL WHEN YOU EAT ASPARAGUS?
Asparagus contains a sulfur compound called mercaptan. It is also found in onions, garlic, rotten eggs, and in the secretions of skunks. The signature smell occurs when this substance is broken down in your digestive system. Not all people have the gene for the enzyme that breaks down mercaptan, so some of you can eat all the asparagus you want without stinking up the place. One study published in the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology found that only 46 percent of British people tested produced the odor while 100 percent of French people tested did.
I'm a "producer". :)

MamaMia
3/30/2006, 01:16 PM
Hers is my Asparagus Pasta recipe

1 lb. of fresh asparagus spears (I like the thin)
1 12 oz. package of fettuccine noodles
1 sm. onion, minced
3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup of melted butter
1/2 to 1 full lb. sliced fresh mushrooms (We love mushrooms so I use alot)
3/4 cup heavy cream or half and half
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 tsp dried whole basil or I use 3 tsp of the fresh
1/2 cup chopped red pepper
1 cup fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
salt and pepper, to taste
fresh Parmesan cheese for garnish, also grated

Snap off the woody ends of the asparagus if there are any.
Cut them diagonally into 1 inch pieces. Set aside.

Cook your fettucine; drain it and set that aside.

Saute onion and garlic in your melted butter in a large skillet over medium heat for 3 minutes.

Add your asparagus and mushrooms. Saute them for about 7 to 10 minutes.

Add chicken broth and basil. Cook that over medium to high heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until liquid is reduced by about 1/3rd. Reduce heat to medium/low.

Add your cream and red peppers Cook that for another 3 minutes.

Add the cooked fettucine along with about 1 cup of your favorite kind of Parmesan cheese. I like to add a little salt and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until heated through.

Sprinkle with some additional Parmesan cheese before serving.
This will serve 6 to 8 people. I serve it with a salad and some Italian bread that I have baked open faced, with a little butter and oregeno flakes on top.

You meat lovers can add some diced chicken breast if you like. My son use to like me to make it that way until he married that hussey. Now I dont see him anymore, but I love mine without.

Enjoy

GDC
4/6/2006, 02:04 PM
I had some the other night and it reeked badly later.