PDA

View Full Version : Great coaching is hard to get for OU BBall

NickZeppelin
3/20/2006, 03:51 PM
Unlike in football. I've given the stat that from 1947-1982 that we've had one NCAA Appearance and 2 NITs. But if you take out the last 2 great coaches that's 4 NCAA Apearances and 2 NIT appearances.

If you fire Kelvin Sampson guys get your way I doubt we have a coach that's half as good he is. Good coaching is just hard to come by for basketball.

Oh and if you don't believe me without Oklahoma State's best 2 coaches(Iba and Sutton) they have 1 NCAA and 2 NIT appearances all time.

Newbomb Turk
3/20/2006, 04:15 PM
this could get interesting.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/20/2006, 04:16 PM
But Billy Tubbs once went to a National Championship game!!!!!!! The GREATEST coach EVAR!!!!!!

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/20/2006, 04:21 PM
If I remember right, Kelvin signed a basketball for Nick one time and he's been sitting with a boner ever since. Then Stoops broke his boner and he hasn't been able to get one since.

Enough Sampson love already.
Enough Stoops hate already

fixed it for you ;)

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/20/2006, 04:21 PM
Unlike in football. I've given the stat that from 1947-1982 that we've had one NCAA Appearance and 2 NITs. But if you take out the last 2 great coaches that's 4 NCAA Apearances and 2 NIT appearances.

If you fire Kelvin Sampson guys get your way I doubt we have a coach that's half as good he is. Good coaching is just hard to come by for basketball.

Oh and if you don't believe me without Oklahoma State's best 2 coaches(Iba and Sutton) they have 1 NCAA and 2 NIT appearances all time.

Nick

I can't bring myself to say that I totally agree with you, especially given the fact that you mentioned football and you are way off base with Stoops. But, I don't totally disagree with you either so that is something.

I don't know that it Sampson leaves that we don't get a coach just as good or better but I do agree the chances are better that we don't.

Feel free to print this out and frame it Nick. This is a big day for you.

soonervegas
3/20/2006, 04:23 PM
Why all the Kelvin hate?

If we are bashing Kelvin let's do it for soemthing he deserves (i.e. potential probation)

Fact is, the last 5 years we have:

NCAA Tourney
NCAA 2nd round
NIT
Elite 8
Final Four

I bet not too many schools can claim 8 NCAA wins in the past 5 years. (Outside of National Champions) Fact is, we underachieved big time this year. But I would say most of Kelvin's teams have actually overachieved (especially some of his teams the 1st 5 years). So I am going to give him a passs on this year.

Does anyone here doubt that if Kelvin stays another 10 years that we see another Final Four? I don't.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/20/2006, 04:28 PM
Why all the Kelvin hate?

If we are bashing Kelvin let's do it for soemthing he deserves (i.e. potential probation)

Fact is, the last 5 years we have:

NCAA Tourney
NCAA 2nd round
NIT
Elite 8
Final Four

I bet not too many schools can claim 8 NCAA wins in the past 5 years. (Outside of National Champions) Fact is, we underachieved big time this year. But I would say most of Kelvin's teams have actually overachieved (especially some of his teams the 1st 5 years). So I am going to give him a passs on this year.

Does anyone here doubt that if Kelvin stays another 10 years that we see another Final Four? I don't.

The potential probation is my main concern. I think it could saboatage what could be a potentially very good team in the next 2-3 years. I hope any penalties are minor and KS stays though I do acknowledge that not all the complaints are without merit.

NickZeppelin
3/20/2006, 04:34 PM
Ok, this is the 3rd message board I've seen this silliness on.

Nick, quit making your case for Kelvin. He'll probably be here next year.

Your wearing us out kid, stop it!

The standards for basketball shouldn't be as high for football. Football we should be competing for championships ever year. If we had the same standards for football as every other sport that we have at OU then we wouldn't have very many coaches for a long period of time. The only year least productive then this year over the past 5 years was the 2003-2004 season when we had 7 guys practicing some of that season

RacerX
3/20/2006, 04:47 PM
Dear Lord, I don't think I understood any of that.:confused:

When it comes to bball, Nick has lowered expectations.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/20/2006, 04:48 PM
When it comes to life, Nick has lowered expectations.

Fixed;)

MojoRisen
3/20/2006, 04:50 PM
Right Nick, that is why we paste Bomar- and TE gets busted with a QP and we don't even say a damn word that Kelvin let him play knowing damn well he would test postive for MaryJane-

You guys make complete sense to me- Kelvin is not lighting the world on fire-is he a bad coach- no. I just don't see Kelvin as a prodigy like the rest of ya- and he is starting to make some dumb decisions.

picasso
3/20/2006, 05:28 PM
The standards for basketball shouldn't be as high for football. Football we should be competing for championships ever year. If we had the same standards for football as every other sport that we have at OU then we wouldn't have very many coaches for a long period of time. The only year least productive then this year over the past 5 years was the 2003-2004 season when we had 7 guys practicing some of that season
belch.

colleyvillesooner
3/20/2006, 05:47 PM
Right Nick, that is why we paste Bomar- and TE gets busted with a QP and we don't even say a damn word that Kelvin let him play knowing damn well he would test postive for MaryJane-

You guys make complete sense to me- Kelvin is not lighting the world on fire-is he a bad coach- no. I just don't see Kelvin as a prodigy like the rest of ya- and he is starting to make some dumb decisions.

The first thing I said was he shouldn't have played. What we don't know is, did the AD know before the game on thursday.

MojoRisen
3/20/2006, 05:50 PM
I don't know- you would have to think so- but I will be willing to give benefit of the doubt- but if you think about how fast we heard about Bomar- that getting busted with a brick of dubie that they definitely knew about it. They had 5 days to find out.

RacerX
3/20/2006, 06:04 PM
I don't know- you would have to think so- but I will be willing to give benefit of the doubt- but if you think about how fast we heard about Bomar- that getting busted with a brick of dubie that they definitely knew about it. They had 5 days to find out.

Agreed.

TopDawg
3/20/2006, 06:25 PM
I don't know whether or not they found out about it. I have no idea. They did have 5 days, but those are probably the 5 most hectic days of the athletic department's year (making hotel and transportation arrangements for both men's and women's teams, media and donors).

The weird part is that the story didn't come out for so long.

william_brasky
3/20/2006, 08:04 PM
Great coaching is hard to get for OU BBall?

I bet the athletic department has some money to spend that says otherwise.

KC//CRIMSON
3/20/2006, 08:36 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highneg.gifhttp://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highneg.gifhttp://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highneg.gifhttp://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highneg.gifhttp://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highneg.gifhttp://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highneg.gif Nickzeppelin is off the scale retarded.......one retarded dude.

william_brasky
3/20/2006, 08:41 PM
The mods need to change his username. It sickens me that Led Zeppelin is associated with him.

I wouldn't oppose NickLeppard.

http://www.wrong-keyhole.org/cover-art/Def_Leppard/Monsters_Of_Rock_1986/Def_Leppard-Monsters_Of_Rock-Tray.JPG

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/21/2006, 11:39 AM
How about Nick Rivers....of Top Secret fame.

Nick would give his left arm to play in Def Leppard.....

Uh....sorry....

Harry Beanbag
3/21/2006, 11:50 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of NickWinger.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/21/2006, 02:48 PM
How about NickSync'

Harry Beanbag
3/21/2006, 02:49 PM
How about NickSync'

Okay, you win. :D

snp
3/21/2006, 03:07 PM

I bet the athletic department has some money to spend that says otherwise.

Exactly. We could easily go after one of those Midmajor coaches, or my man crush Glypsie.

And over the past 25 years, we have had loads of success. No tradition my ***.

stoopified
3/21/2006, 03:55 PM

I bet the athletic department has some money to spend that says otherwise.That is football money dude and will not be used on b-ball by royal decree of BIG MONEY.