PDA

View Full Version : Shuffle vs. Random

Howzit
3/20/2006, 02:09 PM
On mp3 players is shuffle not the same as random? I realize it could vary by player brand, I just kind of figured shuffle MEANT random, but on my iRiver I find that on shuffle mode it ends up with the same order. Yes, it is shuffled from the order it was recorded, but it does not seem to be random.

mdklatt
3/20/2006, 02:13 PM
On mp3 players is shuffle not the same as random? I realize it could vary by player brand, I just kind of figured shuffle MEANT random, but on my iRiver I find that on shuffle mode it ends up with the same order. Yes, it is shuffled from the order it was recorded, but it does not seem to be random.

You need to seed the random number generator.

skycat
3/20/2006, 02:14 PM
You need to seed the random number generator.

That's just gross.

IB4OU2
3/20/2006, 02:15 PM
On my Ipod it's a random shuffle. Every time I hit shuffle it plays songs randomly and not in the same order as the last shuffle mode.:D

Howzit
3/20/2006, 02:16 PM
Did you have to seed the random generator first?

BeetDigger
3/20/2006, 02:17 PM
A debate about the differences between random and shuffle. I give the o/u on this thread 3 pages and predict that by post 7, we will be onto a completely different topic. Come on SO, don't let me down.

crawfish
3/20/2006, 02:18 PM
"Random" typically means it picks the next song at random.

"Shuffle" typically means it takes the entire playlist and rearranges it in some random order.

In a random playlist, you won't get predictable results when you use the "prev" button (it doesn't store the order), and it means that you may get a song more than once while another never gets played.

crawfish
3/20/2006, 02:18 PM
Did you have to seed the random generator first?

You should generate the seed randomly.

BeetDigger
3/20/2006, 02:20 PM
Ok, we missed my post 7 prediction (thanks Craw :D) but so far, this thread is playing out as I suspected.

Howzit
3/20/2006, 02:20 PM
You should generate the seed randomly.

That's what I was thinking when I saw the chicks hanging out at pimp-guy's pool. But Mrs. Howzit said no.

Beef
3/20/2006, 02:22 PM
Ok, we missed my post 7 prediction (thanks Craw :D) but so far, this thread is playing out as I suspected.
I don't know. Doesn't seem gay enough yet.

Beef
3/20/2006, 02:22 PM
That's what I was thinking when I saw the chicks hanging out at pimp-guy's pool. But Mrs. Howzit said no.
Mrs. Howzit can be such a bastard.

Howzit
3/20/2006, 02:23 PM
No Fun Lady. That's what NFL stands for with Mrs. Howzit.

;)