PDA

View Full Version : The official V for Vendetta "non-politics edition" thread

Norm In Norman
3/20/2006, 01:15 PM
No mentioning of politics in this thread, or Dean will come to your house in the middle of the night and kill you. Ok, you can talk about the politics in the movie, but none of the "my party is better than your party" or whatever crap. There is a perfectly ruined thread for that stuff to be talked about.

I thought the movie was good. I might even buy it when it comes out on DVD so I can pick up on some of the stuff I think I missed.

So, is the US really disbanded in the movie, or is this something that the government brewed up to make the people believe England is superior?

Boy, that was sort of a let down. I don't really have much to say about the movie. I can't believe it's so controversial.

Octavian
3/20/2006, 01:26 PM
I was really surprised that V was her captor...I expected him to knife 5 or 6 dudes behind the chemical shed...took me a sec to put together how it all went down after she was "freed"

oh. and Natalie is the hottest bald chick I could evar imagine

royalfan5
3/20/2006, 01:27 PM
I enjoyed the movie as well. I'll probably buy it too. I found it interesting, but then again I don't need my entertainment to match my politics. If I did finding good politically aware pron would probably be hard. Also I enjoy seeing British stuff get destroyed and cool knife fighting. Did I mention explosions are rad.

yermom
3/20/2006, 01:53 PM
I was really surprised that V was her captor...I expected him to knife 5 or 6 dudes behind the chemical shed...took me a sec to put together how it all went down after she was "freed"

oh. and Natalie is the hottest bald chick I could evar imagine

i kinda half expected it, i can't quite place why, although i did notice the gloves and the flowers, which i thought were going to tie to something else

was all the gay stuff in the comic?

royalfan5
3/20/2006, 01:58 PM
i kinda half expected it, i can't quite place why, although i did notice the gloves and the flowers, which i thought were going to tie to something else

I'm not sure, but Alan Moore's wikipedia bio indicates that he was quite active in promoting gay rights.

Hatfield
3/20/2006, 02:04 PM
when the flick spoke specifically to gay rights, that was the only real part of the movie that I felt was forced...seems they left the flow and dwelled on that. Not a big deal but it was kind of distracting from the overall movie.

C&CDean
3/20/2006, 02:06 PM
WTF are y'all talking about?

royalfan5
3/20/2006, 02:06 PM
when the flick spoke specifically to gay rights, that was the only real part of the movie that I felt was forced...seems they left the flow and dwelled on that. Not a big deal but it was kind of distracting from the overall movie.
I agree, they could of replaced some of that with more killing and blowing **** up. I suppose the transgendered Wachkowski wanted to make a point.

mdklatt
3/20/2006, 02:07 PM

I think it's the latest Harry Potter movie or something.

skycat
3/20/2006, 02:07 PM

Yeah, they certainly pushed those connections to V. But I thought they were going to show that V had been a government employee or something, and still used some of the wardrobe.

Overall, I liked it.

Oldnslo
3/20/2006, 02:09 PM
The comic is teh awexome. It's one of those comics that you've got to have in your collection if you're a collector. Alan Moore also did "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" which kicks the snot out of the movie. There's also a single volume comic book which collects a bunch of Moore's "one shot" books, and it's a great way to get back into reading comics, if you're of a mind to do that.

n8v_ndn
3/20/2006, 02:09 PM
I thought it was great.

I didn't think America's storyline was fabricated, but a way to shift focus to England and how the UK was left to stand alone in this new world.

That Prothorow talking head character, he had certain Bill O'Reilly/Rush Limbaugh what-if elements within him, like how they *could* be in a world given over to zealotry and nationalist fervor.

I could tell it was V that captured her the first time the suit spoke to her in her cell--mainly by his voice. It was when he said something like "I can't believe you'd protect someone that doesn't care about you".

I wonder how this movie will be received in England. My understanding was that Guy Fawkes was/is considered a traitor/terrorist. He was a converted Catholic who was unhappy with the persecution and bigotry going on in England by the Protestants. He was thought to want to kill the Protestant English king and to incite an uprising in the gunpowder plot.

Norm In Norman
3/20/2006, 02:25 PM
Yer here for killin', not thinkin'. When I need someone killed I'll let you know.

IronSooner
3/20/2006, 03:08 PM
I was wondering about its British acceptance as well. Although the post-apocalyptic movie is hardly new, so you'd expect that they'd take it in stride by now.

I thought it was interesting that they didn't give more background on things. They never say how America wound up decrepit, only noting and showing a little footage of "America's War" that you conclude ran it dry somehow. I liked how they didn't say with whom, just that it seemed to be a bogged down ridiculous war.

Also interesting that they never filled in everything about who V was. You know how he was "made" into who he was, but nothing about his life before that. And props for never showing his face.

Hatfield
3/20/2006, 03:12 PM
who V was isn't as important as who he is. And I think they didn't really get into the plight of America because it wasn't relevant to the story.

and the guy that was originally supposed to play V backed out because they weren't going to show his face.

yermom
3/20/2006, 03:22 PM
who V was isn't as important as who he is. And I think they didn't really get into the plight of America because it wasn't relevant to the story.

and the guy that was originally supposed to play V backed out because they weren't going to show his face.

Hugo Weaving has to be the most prominent actor no one talks about :D

everyone knows Agent Smith and Elrond, but no one talks about the actor

it's still funny to think of him and Guy Pearce with General Zod in the drag queen movie 10 years ago, nobody knew anything about either of those guys back then

IronSooner
3/20/2006, 03:33 PM

All true. Still, it was refreshing that they took that stand and stuck to it. I was afraid they'd get into some gooey kiss scene or something stupid where he'd pull the mask up. Kudos for avoiding that.

The America part isn't that relevant, but does make a nice small omission that's fun to wonder about.

Hatfield
3/20/2006, 03:36 PM
movie did a great job of offering you as the audience several things to think about without telling you what to think.

i really applaud them for that.

SoonerInKCMO
3/20/2006, 04:42 PM
I thought it was interesting that they didn't give more background on things. They never say how America wound up decrepit, only noting and showing a little footage of "America's War" that you conclude ran it dry somehow. I liked how they didn't say with whom, just that it seemed to be a bogged down ridiculous war.

The text of one of the TV news clips said that it was a civil war. From that combined with the dialogue in the beginning of the movie, I'm thinking that they meant to imply that the U.S. had been in a situation much like the British were in at that time and that the people of the U.S. had revolted against the government.

I could be pullin' that outta my a$$ though.

royalfan5
3/20/2006, 04:57 PM
The text of one of the TV news clips said that it was a civil war. From that combined with the dialogue in the beginning of the movie, I'm thinking that they meant to imply that the U.S. had been in a situation much like the British were in at that time and that the people of the U.S. had revolted against the government.

I could be pullin' that outta my a$$ though.
In the beginning there was the refernce to the United States sending wheat and tobacco as a good will gesture, as well as the United States being short on medical supplies. The reference to the 2nd Civil War stated that the fighting was in the midwest. Perhaps this means that the war and the collaspe of the U.S wiped out the major metro centers but the Agrainian center was still intact, that's what competing forces were fighting over?

SoonerInKCMO
3/20/2006, 05:03 PM
Yeah, that's probably a better theory.

Too much dialogue for me to remember. ;)

skycat
3/20/2006, 05:08 PM
Here's what I want to know.

Who was the dude that cut Portman's hair?

It wasn't V, and he doesn't seem like the kind of cat with a load of friends.

Hatfield
3/20/2006, 05:10 PM
Here's what I want to know.

Who was the dude that cut Portman's hair?

It wasn't V, and he doesn't seem like the kind of cat with a load of friends.

yes it was.

skycat
3/20/2006, 05:15 PM
Dude's mask when he was talking to the policeman wasn't *this* good.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/03/17/arts/17vend.184.jpg

Hatfield
3/20/2006, 05:16 PM
but its supposed to be V...in the movie they don't show that guy's face right?

skycat
3/20/2006, 05:22 PM
I don't remember, maybe not.

But it was the first thing I thought about when the truth was revealed, and then I found this picture.

Frozen Sooner
3/20/2006, 09:42 PM
I thought it was very well executed. I too am very glad that they did not show V's face. I wish they had gone into more detail about how he manufactured the explosives in the camp (for what it's worth, they let him garden as part of his "therapy" and he was able to get fertilizer which he mixed with the ammonia from his own **** to make the explosives.)

I think they did explain what was going on in America-the virus which attacked St. Mark's got loose in the US and the government collapsed. It just wasn't given much detail.

I could have done without the scene at the end with all the masks. Dunno-just didn't do it for me.

Hugo Weaving kicks all sorts of *** as an actor.

Cool things to notice, by the way:

V speaks almost exlusively in iambic pentameter. Pentameter, of course, is five "feet" per line.

Beethoven's Fifth (Vth) symphony plays before he kills someone. The opening of Beethoven's Fifth (da da da DUM) is Morse code for "V".