PDA

View Full Version : Am I being a prick?

Stanley1
3/20/2006, 11:54 AM
So I'm out at a new client this week. Sitting up in a storage room with two females, my staff, and my manager. Never met either before this morning. So the manager had been downstairs talking with the controller, when she returns, she says to the staff "Christine, show Jeremy the drill". I'm thinking WTF? So then the manager turns to me and says "I've got to pump, and the other empty office isn't empty today".

So basically Christine and I had to unhook our laptops and go sit/work in the Controller's office for 20-30 minutes so this woman can pump her breasts.

I'm thinking I shouldn't have to suffer for her to do this. She could go to her car, or a bathroom stall, or HOME, or where the F ever.

Thoughts?

1stTimeCaller
3/20/2006, 11:57 AM
Tell her that it doesn't bother you that she pumps in front of you. When she gets all irate mention the bathroom or her car.

OklahomaTrombone
3/20/2006, 11:57 AM
here we go again....

crawfish
3/20/2006, 11:58 AM
Yes.

Now, I'm going to read the post.

Scott D
3/20/2006, 11:59 AM
Why do you hate pumpers? ;)

IB4OU2
Your'e just ****ed you didn't get your share of the nu-nu........;)

achiro
Yes

oumartin
3/20/2006, 12:01 PM
ah, moving your laptop too what? 30 seconds boo hoo! ;)

crawfish
3/20/2006, 12:01 PM
Yep, you still are.

Tell her you find the soft buzz of the breast pump relaxing. Ask if you can stay.

TopDaugIn2000
3/20/2006, 12:03 PM
I can't stand that. AT ALL.

One time I walked in just before church started and one of the ladies was up on the STAGE right behind the PIANO singing along with a group, BREAST FEEDING. I just can't imagine. I mean, COME ON.

Hatfield
3/20/2006, 12:03 PM
tell her you are a bit parched and could use a sip.

yermom
3/20/2006, 12:05 PM
yeah, i can't see making everyone else leave for that. go find a closet or bathroom or something

TopDaugIn2000
3/20/2006, 12:05 PM
bring in your weenis pump tomorrow and join her.

Stanley1
3/20/2006, 12:06 PM
bring in your weenis pump tomorrow and join her.

I usually just pump it with my hand. :O

yermom
3/20/2006, 12:08 PM
I usually just pump it with my hand. :O

just tell them to leave for 2-3 minutes and it should be ok

Stanley1
3/20/2006, 12:11 PM
just tell them to leave for 2-3 minutes and it should be ok

2-3 minutes?

Pfft.

30 seconds tops.

RacerX
3/20/2006, 12:12 PM
Yes.

Now, I'm going to read the post.

Damn, beat me to it.

RacerX
3/20/2006, 12:14 PM
Oh, and lighten up people.

Breast feeding isn't a crime or disease. We shouldn't treat it with such disdain.

Move your laptop wuss!

mrowl
3/20/2006, 12:17 PM
bathroom.

nmsoonergirl
3/20/2006, 12:17 PM
yeah, i can't see making everyone else leave for that. go find a closet or bathroom or something

Pumping is really more complicated than you would think. It is really hard to do in a stall not only because of space considerations, but also cause mom needs to be a little relaxed to get the milk flowing. Hard (but not impossible) to get relaxed enough in a bathroom stall.

It is a shame her company doesn't provide better pumping space, but lots of women don't have the luxury of staying home until their babies are weaned. It is pretty hard to keep breastfeeding after returning to work, and I really admire women who do it (because they have to deal with a bunch of pricks who give them a hard time when they have to pump;) ). It's not like she whipped her tittay out in front of you or anything...

Plus, if she hadn't been able to pump, her boobies would have gotten all engorged and painful, meaning she would have suffered more than you "suffered" by having to move to a different room. In my mind, she wins:D

RacerX
3/20/2006, 12:21 PM
meaning she would have suffered more than you "suffered" by having to move to a different room. In my mind, she wins:D

He's not suffering. He's in the other office thinking about the fact that there are bare breasts near by.

yermom
3/20/2006, 12:23 PM
Pumping is really more complicated than you would think. It is really hard to do in a stall not only because of space considerations, but also cause mom needs to be a little relaxed to get the milk flowing. Hard (but not impossible) to get relaxed enough in a bathroom stall.

It is a shame her company doesn't provide better pumping space, but lots of women don't have the luxury of staying home until their babies are weaned. It is pretty hard to keep breastfeeding after returning to work, and I really admire women who do it (because they have to deal with a bunch of pricks who give them a hard time when they have to pump ). It's not like she whipped her tittay out in front of you or anything...

Plus, if she hadn't been able to pump, her boobies would have gotten all engorged and painful, meaning she would have suffered more than you "suffered" by having to move to a different room. In my mind, she wins

i can understand that, i don't think it's a crime or heinous or anything, i just think if she wasn't management it probably wouldn't fly

it's not the act that i think is weird, it's just inconveniencing the people around you, it's not like Stan was asked if it was ok or something and they came up with a compromise, it was just forced on him.

it's like telling everyone in the room to leave so you can smoke or something ;)

SoonerBK
3/20/2006, 12:29 PM
Say what you want about S1, but you always know exactly what is going on in his work/personal life.

NormanPride
3/20/2006, 12:29 PM
He's in the other office thinking about the fact that there are bare breasts near by.

That's not suffering?! :eek:

;)

Mjcpr
3/20/2006, 12:38 PM
Tomorrow tell her you need some alone time because you're a sperm donor.

RedstickSooner
3/20/2006, 12:44 PM
Tomorrow tell her you need some alone time because you're a sperm donor.

Dude. You seriously need to talk to your pediatrician about what you're feeding your kids.

Now, as to the whole "let's just ship the woman off to the bathroom" thing:

Yes, a bathroom is precisely where she should have to go.

After all, that's where you prepare all YOUR meals, right?

Especially a public restroom. That's a GREAT place to whip up dinner.

I'd like to believe that we're all part of a larger community -- and that as part of that larger community, we'd all do everything we could to help one another with the essentials of life, when possible. Like feeding children. That not only wouldn't we mind having to move rooms so someone could provide for her kids -- we'd consider it the least we could do as part of bringing the next generation up in the world.

But, yeah, unplugging that laptop can be a real pain :D

Oldnslo
3/20/2006, 12:46 PM
People, give the preggies/new mommies a break.

Consider letting it be no big deal. You were mildly inconvenienced so that she didn't have to be inconvenienced. Do you carp when you open a door for a lady? Of course not. It's just part of being a gentleman. Same here.

yermom
3/20/2006, 12:49 PM
i'll grant you the bathroom thing, but i'm thinking displacing people is a bit self-important

Okla-homey
3/20/2006, 12:49 PM
Its official, the SO verdict is in. Stanley is a pr1ck. :D

yermom
3/20/2006, 12:50 PM
as for Stanley being a prick... at least he is just griping on here, sounds like he was polite to the yainch ;)

KABOOKIE
3/20/2006, 12:50 PM
And we wonder why this guy is single and picks up 14 year olds? ;)

Stanley1
3/20/2006, 12:55 PM
And we wonder why this guy is single and picks up 14 year olds? ;)

I'm single?

skycat
3/20/2006, 12:55 PM
"The other empty office isn't empty today."

In other words, there are normally two spaces that don't have people in them where she can pump. Today however, some dorky auditor guy is filling one of them, and who knows who else is in the other one. Give the poor woman a break and give her some privacy.

It's no bid deal.

Stanley1
3/20/2006, 12:56 PM
as for Stanley being a prick... at least he is just griping on here, sounds like he was polite to the yainch ;)

Nah, I slapped her before leaving the room. :D

Yes I was polite. Not as big a deal as I am making it out to be, but like yermom said, to not even ask is a bit rude.

yermom
3/20/2006, 12:59 PM
"The other empty office isn't empty today."

In other words, there are normally two spaces that don't have people in them where she can pump. Today however, some dorky auditor guy is filling one of them, and who knows who else is in the other one. Give the poor woman a break and give her some privacy.

It's no bid deal.

i must have glazed over that part, i just saw "the drill"... if this is a once in a while kinda thing, i don't think i'd have much of a problem with it, if it was the norm :norm: i'd be more bothered by it

sooner_born_1960
3/20/2006, 12:59 PM
Why do you have to move your laptop? Just take a break for however long.

yermom
3/20/2006, 01:00 PM
Why do you have to move your laptop? Just take a break for however long.

that was my next thought :D

Mjcpr
3/20/2006, 01:03 PM
Dude. You seriously need to talk to your pediatrician about what you're feeding your kids.

Now, as to the whole "let's just ship the woman off to the bathroom" thing:

Yes, a bathroom is precisely where she should have to go.

After all, that's where you prepare all YOUR meals, right?

Especially a public restroom. That's a GREAT place to whip up dinner.

I'd like to believe that we're all part of a larger community -- and that as part of that larger community, we'd all do everything we could to help one another with the essentials of life, when possible. Like feeding children. That not only wouldn't we mind having to move rooms so someone could provide for her kids -- we'd consider it the least we could do as part of bringing the next generation up in the world.

But, yeah, unplugging that laptop can be a real pain :D

Glad to see your feminine side isn't being neglected.

:D

RacerX
3/20/2006, 01:05 PM
I'm single?

Are you married?

Stanley1
3/20/2006, 01:07 PM
Are you married?

Feels like it sometimes.

85Sooner
3/20/2006, 01:07 PM
So I'm out at a new client this week. Sitting up in a storage room with two females, my staff, and my manager. Never met either before this morning. So the manager had been downstairs talking with the controller, when she returns, she says to the staff "Christine, show Jeremy the drill". I'm thinking WTF? So then the manager turns to me and says "I've got to pump, and the other empty office isn't empty today".

So basically Christine and I had to unhook our laptops and go sit/work in the Controller's office for 20-30 minutes so this woman can pump her breasts.

I'm thinking I shouldn't have to suffer for her to do this. She could go to her car, or a bathroom stall, or HOME, or where the F ever.

Thoughts?

No your not. Thats what my wife did. Just think how they would act if you got SRH and needed to relieve yourself. You'd be arrested even in the bathroom or car.

JohnnyMack
3/20/2006, 01:12 PM
I think you're being insensitive. Seriously.

Wonder why breast feeding is so stigmatized? :rolleyes:

ChickSoonerFan
3/20/2006, 01:25 PM
Feels like it sometimes.

Really now? I take you mean that in the best possible way.

JohnnyMack
3/20/2006, 01:28 PM

Oooh, where's the popcorn?

TexasLidig8r
3/20/2006, 01:38 PM
Who's Jeremy? :confused:

Good thing this didn't happen to you Stanley. :D

RedstickSooner
3/20/2006, 01:52 PM
No your not. Thats what my wife did. Just think how they would act if you got SRH and needed to relieve yourself. You'd be arrested even in the bathroom or car.

Er... What is SRH?

Mjcpr
3/20/2006, 01:54 PM

Uh oh.

Oldnslo
3/20/2006, 02:11 PM
Is that my phone ringing? <tiptoeing away from this thread>

Howzit
3/20/2006, 02:14 PM
Large-scale grovelling is in-progress. For a while. Like days.

Partial Qualifier
3/20/2006, 02:20 PM
Oh give me a break. "Everyone vacate for awhile - Polly needs to pump her breasts"!? No, you're not being a prick Stanley. that's ridiculous.

Breast-pumping itself is borderline ridiculous in the first place; breast-feed (the old fashioned way) when you can, and use formula when you can't.

Stanley1
3/20/2006, 02:26 PM

I forgot the winky face. :O Like this: ;)

Mjcpr
If I could lactate, I would never have to buy coffee creamer again.

Mjcpr

You're going to have to come up with something a lot better than that I'll bet.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/20/2006, 02:27 PM
Oh give me a break. "Everyone vacate for awhile - Polly needs to pump her breasts"!? No, you're not being a prick Stanley. that's ridiculous.

Breast-pumping itself is borderline ridiculous in the first place; breast-feed (the old fashioned way) when you can, and use formula when you can't.I've never birfed a baby, so I don't know, but I think that winds up being problematic if she can't take care of it throughout the day. But what do I know.

BlondeSoonerGirl
PQ is such a prick.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
PQ is such a prick.Nice to know you won't have any privacy if you ever have a baby, huh?

Mjcpr
3/20/2006, 02:31 PM

Does that come in Hazelnut?

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/20/2006, 02:34 PM
Nice to know you won't have any privacy if you ever have a baby, huh?

Actually, we have private rooms in HR that new mommas use. They're really small conference rooms but we have signs that say 'PRIVATE: ROOM IN USE' or something like that.

We have them because women were pumping in the rest rooms so HR made it to where they had a place to go. We have the room so it wasn't that big of a deal.

I walked in a rest room one day and saw an electrical cord going from the wall to under a stall and heard a loud vibrating sound.

Disturbing, I tell you. :kelvin:

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/20/2006, 02:35 PM
Does that come in Hazelnut?

You carck me up, Pat...

Partial Qualifier
3/20/2006, 02:41 PM
Breast FEEDING, have all the privacy you want. And BTW I don't mind watching if you're cool with that ;)

Pumping your breasts for 45 minutes, at work, and expecting your co-workers to work around it... different deal

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/20/2006, 02:42 PM
Actually, we have private rooms in HR that new mommas use. They're really small conference rooms but we have signs that say 'PRIVATE: ROOM IN USE' or something like that.

We have them because women were pumping in the rest rooms so HR made it to where they had a place to go. We have the room so it wasn't that big of a deal.

I walked in a rest room one day and saw an electrical cord going from the wall to under a stall and heard a loud vibrating sound.

Disturbing, I tell you. :kelvin:Do you have special rooms for that too?

Mjcpr
3/20/2006, 02:42 PM

Disturbing, I tell you. :kelvin:

What does that have to do with breast pumps?

:confused:

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/20/2006, 02:44 PM
Breast FEEDING, have all the privacy you want. And BTW I don't mind watching if you're cool with that ;)

Would you pay admission?

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/20/2006, 02:45 PM
Do you have special rooms for that too?

Where do you think I've been for 4 months?

;)

ChickSoonerFan
3/20/2006, 02:49 PM

I forgot mine too... ;)

BeetDigger
3/20/2006, 02:59 PM
I forgot mine too... ;)

Get a room you two.

C&CDean
3/20/2006, 03:07 PM
1. Irregardless of the situation, you'd still be a prick Stan.

2. I'm all for breastfeeding/breastpumping.

3. It is up to the pumpee to find a private place to pump her mams. It is selfish and rude to expect your coworkers to leave their work so you can relieve yourself.

4. I fart and scratch myself in public. If you gotta pump, go ahead on. Tittays that look like some of my cows - on the verge of bustin' out - are not sexual. In. Any. Way.

BeetDigger
3/20/2006, 03:20 PM
2. I'm all for breastfeeding/breastpumping.

Me too!!!!!

ChickSoonerFan
3/20/2006, 03:36 PM
As posted earlier, breast pumping in the bathroom would be very hard to do. You need a table, a plug, a place to sit, it is much more involved than one might think. But I can't imagine that she couldn't find some private quiet

But yes, they should have ASKED not TOLD you guys to leave. Or at LEAST given the option to watch. :D

But seriously, there is not that much too sexy about a breastpumping woman, except maybe to the father of the baby who might think it is sweet.

OU Adonis
3/20/2006, 03:36 PM
I would breast feed if I could.

Hamhock
3/20/2006, 03:39 PM
Next time tell her you'll help her with manual expression.

If she is a professional and is working so that they can drive two BMW's instead of 1 or to satisfy some self-worth complex, tell her to go home where she belongs and give the kid a teet in person.

If she has to work, cut her some slack. Breast feeding is best for the kid and it is a huge pain to schlep the equipment to work, pump, freeze, thaw, etc. Mrs. Hamhock did it for 3 kids at home and it was a pain.

Tell her you'll leave for 10% of the crop. Breast milk is honey i tell ya....

Mjcpr
3/20/2006, 03:40 PM
If she is a professional and is working so that they can drive two BMW's instead of 1 or to satisfy some self-worth complex, tell her to go home where she belongs and give the kid a teet in person.

**** yeah!! Fix me a sammich, woman.

BeetDigger
3/20/2006, 03:43 PM
But seriously, there is not that much too sexy about a breastpumping woman, ...

Au contraire.

Oh wait, I just suddenly realized that I may be using different definitions of breastpumping and breastfeeding than the other posters. :D

BeetDigger
3/20/2006, 03:44 PM

You left off:

And fetch me a beer while you're in there!

Hamhock
3/20/2006, 03:49 PM

You're gonna get me in trouble.

I wasn't being chauvinistic. It is clearly best for a mom with teet sucking age children to be at home with said teet sucking children.

While she's there, she might as well fix me a sammich. ;)

TexasLidig8r
3/20/2006, 04:12 PM
You left off:

And fetch me a beer while you're in there!

Dean?

Jimminy Crimson
3/20/2006, 04:27 PM
Why didn't you offer to just suck it out and spit it into the bottle? :cool:

RedstickSooner
3/20/2006, 04:38 PM
I gotta say, the board has improved a lot over a few years. Wasn't all that long ago we had someone freakin' out over seeing a mother breastfeed on an airplane -- whereas now we seem to be having some qualms about pumping (which, I'll admit, is a disconcerting process -- and certainly not one to do in public).

Clearly, what the world needs is a better breastpump. Perhaps something which could be worn under the shirt, and which would appear (from the outside) to be two hands, one grasping each teat. Would make for a lovely conversation starter, at least ;)

Stanley1
3/20/2006, 04:51 PM
I gotta say, the board has improved a lot over a few years. Wasn't all that long ago we had someone freakin' out over seeing a mother breastfeed on an airplane -- whereas now we seem to be having some qualms about pumping (which, I'll admit, is a disconcerting process -- and certainly not one to do in public).

Clearly, what the world needs is a better breastpump. Perhaps something which could be worn under the shirt, and which would appear (from the outside) to be two hands, one grasping each teat. Would make for a lovely conversation starter, at least ;)

It is not the pumping, or the pumping in public. Its the fact that she EXPECTED me to stop working essentially, without even asking nicely, so she could squirt some.

I'm over it.

RacerX
3/20/2006, 04:54 PM
.. she EXPECTED me to stop working ...

Like he had started.

Hamhock
3/20/2006, 04:56 PM
You ain't seen nothing 'til you've seen the nipple being sucked into the little tube of the pump.

Freaky....

skycat
3/20/2006, 05:10 PM

American Inventor season 2, here I come!

BoogercountySooner
3/20/2006, 05:25 PM

What would you do if you were to Dictate?:)

JohnnyMack
3/20/2006, 05:36 PM
Like he had started.

Like she'd be able to tell.

Mjcpr
3/20/2006, 06:43 PM
What would you do if you were to Dictate?:)

I think I'd still have to buy coffee creamer.

Stoop Dawg
3/20/2006, 06:49 PM
without even asking nicely

There's the real problem. I'm all for women working and not taking off for a year after having a child (if they want). I don't think anyone can leave their job for an extended period then expect to pick back up where they left off. Therefore I have no problem making concessions to accomodate such situations. However, there is NEVER an excuse for being impolite about it.

OKC Sooner
3/20/2006, 07:02 PM
Just another example of The Man tryin' to keep you down.... ummm... nevermind.

Hublah
3/20/2006, 07:51 PM
Breastfeeding women have the right to pump when needed...and they shouldnt have to go to the car or closet to do it. The babies deserve to have the breast milk and if they have to pump they have the right to do it. There are laws that were passed this month to protect womens rights...Its ok Stanley...you are a prick...but dont think we hate you for it :)

Stanley1
3/20/2006, 08:05 PM
So.....I think the going opinion is that I am a prick, but not because of this, correct?

william_brasky
3/20/2006, 08:13 PM
1. Irregardless of the situation, you'd still be a prick Stan.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/84/I0238400.html

sanantoniosooner
3/20/2006, 08:26 PM
Am I being a prick?
I really don't have time to read 5 pages, so I'm just going to say YES on principle.

Al Gore
3/20/2006, 08:47 PM
bring in your weenis pump tomorrow and join her.Spek because I can't believe that this thread is not locked....

LoyalFan
3/21/2006, 04:42 AM
tell her you are a bit parched and could use a Nip.

Beautifully altered and thereby improved.
No charge.

L.Fan

LoyalFan
3/21/2006, 04:44 AM
Stanislaus,

You could have said "If I can watch you pump, you can watch ME pu..."

Never mind.

LF

mrssoonerhubler
3/23/2006, 10:05 PM
I really don't have time to read 5 pages, so I'm just going to say YES on principle.

Yes, What he said.