PDA

View Full Version : So here's my question:

GottaHavePride
3/19/2006, 11:57 PM
I found out the Berlin Philharmonic (arguably one of the best orchestras in the world) is looking for a second trombone. I'm going to send them a letter and a copy of my resume for giggles, safe in the knowledge that they will never, ever ask me to come audition.

The question is: if they actually DO invite me to audition, do I blow the money to go to Berlin and audition? While the requested audition repertoire is stuff I know backwards and forwards, German orchestras tend not to hire non-Germans. Except that their conductor is now a British man, and the entire orchestra is very young and much less stuffy. Hmmmm.

Jimminy Crimson
3/20/2006, 12:00 AM
Three words: Hot. German. Babes. :cool:

OUinFLA
3/20/2006, 12:01 AM
I would say go just for the experience of being in Germany. Write it off your taxes. You do pay taxes dont you?
Besides, you might actually get the position. Unless you have umbilical cord ties here, why not give this experience a shot, you might never get another convenient time in your life for it to occur.

OUinFLA
3/20/2006, 12:03 AM

Claudia Schiffer:

http://www.glacombe.com/images/gschiffer4.jpg

GottaHavePride
3/20/2006, 12:03 AM

Oh, believe me, I know. I'm just saying, would it be worth a $900 flight plus hotel and food to most likely not get a job?

GottaHavePride
3/20/2006, 12:04 AM
I would say go just for the experience of being in Germany. Write it off your taxes. You do pay taxes dont you?
Besides, you might actually get the position. Unless you have umbilical cord ties here, why not give this experience a shot, you might never get another convenient time in your life for it to occur.

that's kind of the way I would lean (although even getting invited is a big if) but I'd probably have to open a whole other credit card to afford that trip. ;)

BajaOklahoma
3/20/2006, 12:16 AM
We could start a send GHP to Germany collection. I'd donate because I would hate for you to get to be my age and wonder what would have happened with your life if you had tried out.

And this way, I might have a place to stay if I ever get to visit Germany. ;)

GottaHavePride
3/20/2006, 12:22 AM
Pfffff. None o' that, now. Heck, let's wait and make sure they don't just send my resume back with a big "VERBOTEN" stamp on it. ;)

BajaOklahoma
3/20/2006, 12:25 AM
You just don't want me to visit you in Germany. *sob*

Note: that is sob, not SOB. Though not wanting me to visit may qualify you as a SOB........

GottaHavePride
3/20/2006, 01:18 AM
Hey, if I get a job in Germany all you SOBs are welcome to visit. Even 1tc, so long as he doesn't pee in the floor.

nmsoonergirl
3/20/2006, 02:13 AM
Maybe they will be so impressed with your resume they will pay your expenses. Seriously, I think you go--it's a fine tax write off, and you never know when you'll get the chance again.

Chuck Bao
3/20/2006, 06:40 AM
Definitely, go for it!

I agree with Baja. Some of us would like to chip in.

Anyway, I would like to read your posts about the experience.

AlbqSooner
3/20/2006, 07:37 AM
When is the last time you went to Germany? When, other than this possible audition, is the next time you have plans to go?

Okay, take the trip. Somehow, someway, you will earn that money back before you are my age. But by my age you probably won't find a way to deduct any portion of it.

swardboy
3/20/2006, 07:42 AM
Ha, our own version of the Japanese school teacher: " the Sooner 'jah'bone ist"

crawfish
3/20/2006, 08:33 AM
Oh, believe me, I know. I'm just saying, would it be worth a $900 flight plus hotel and food to most likely not get a job?

I'd think the experience would be worth the cost.

Plus, you could hit some of those hot German trombone groupies! ;)

Mjcpr
3/20/2006, 08:34 AM
If costs more than $43.60 tell them you'll take the job but you'll soon be looking for something else.

TUSooner
3/20/2006, 08:47 AM
GO FOR IT.
GO FOR IT.
GO FOR IT.

Baja will reimburse you.

3/20/2006, 09:16 AM
Only if you blast "BOOMER SOONER" at the end of your audition.

OUinFLA
3/20/2006, 11:15 AM
If costs more than $43.60 tell them you'll take the job but you'll soon be looking for something else.

nothin subtle about you, is there?

Stanley1
3/20/2006, 11:22 AM
Hey, if I get a job in Germany all you SOBs are welcome to visit.

Would you take that sister of yours with you? Please?

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/20/2006, 11:25 AM
Go for it, GHP.

You just have to...

TopDaugIn2000
3/20/2006, 11:25 AM
Go. Even if you don't think you have a chance, the trip alone is well worth it. Trust me.

Okla-homey
3/20/2006, 11:39 AM
Berlin is unlike anywhere else in Germany. I believe it is a carry-over from their situation as an island surrounded by Commie East Germany and the fact they had the crap pounded out of them in WWII. The folks are just kinda wierd. You remember Mike Myers' old "Sprockets" dealio on SLN? Its a parody but there is an element of reality in it. I always found the place depressing in a techno-granite and superficial way. I'd pass.

Now, if an opening w/the Munich Phil. opens up, I'd be on that big time.

OklahomaTuba
3/20/2006, 11:41 AM
Only if you blast "BOOMER SOONER" at the end of your audition.
Why play anything else???

And I would end with an Ok Oklahoma, but thats just me.

TopDaugIn2000
3/20/2006, 12:22 PM
yes, I agree with that too. But use the audition as an excuse just to go. While you're there, grab a eurorail pass and see the sights (N & S). WELL WORTH IT. You can eat cheap, stay cheap (stayed in plenty of youth hostils while I was there) and get around cheap (public transportation). GO!!!!

OU Adonis
3/20/2006, 12:24 PM
Definitely, go for it!

I agree with Baja. Some of us would like to chip in.

Anyway, I would like to read your posts about the experience.

Lets cut to the chase. We want pics of hot German women.

BeetDigger
3/20/2006, 12:26 PM
I'd donate because I would hate for you to get to be my age and wonder what would have happened with your life if you had tried out.

I'd consider it a blessing just to make it to your age. :D

<runs and hides>

mdklatt
3/20/2006, 12:41 PM
I found out the Berlin Philharmonic (arguably one of the best orchestras in the world) is looking for a second trombone.

Pfft. You'd think one of the best orchestras in the world would already have more than one trombone player.

apusooner
3/20/2006, 01:16 PM
if you have the money you better do it. then you could get into the german brass, and next time they release a dvd, i can say i went to school with the tbone player. if you don't do it for yourself, at least do it for everybody else.

BajaOklahoma
3/20/2006, 10:12 PM
I'd consider it a blessing just to make it to your age. :D

<runs and hides>

You just think you can run and hide! I may be slower, but I know all of the good hiding places.
Heck, I even know where you got your name......

Key in the Jaws music..

GottaHavePride
3/20/2006, 10:20 PM
if you have the money you better do it. then you could get into the german brass, and next time they release a dvd, i can say i went to school with the tbone player. if you don't do it for yourself, at least do it for everybody else.

Heh.

GottaHavePride
3/20/2006, 10:21 PM
Oh, and I've put the resume together and wrote a very short letter stating my interest in the job and why they ought to hire me. Next stop, mailing it to Berlin.

BeetDigger
3/20/2006, 11:22 PM
Next stop, mailing it to Berlin.

I think it takes extra postage to get to Berlin. YWIA.

proud gonzo
3/20/2006, 11:34 PM
Would you take that sister of yours with you? Please?
:mad:

...wait a minute, I take that back! :D :O

3/20/2006, 11:44 PM
Dude, you really MUST go for this deal. I mean, what's the worst that could happen? Sure, you could die over there. But it isn't like you aren't going to die over here at some point.

proud gonzo
3/20/2006, 11:47 PM
Dude, you really MUST go for this deal. I mean, what's the worst that could happen? Sure, you could die over there. But it isn't like you aren't going to die over here at some point.
he could get himself into a REALLY FREAKING BIG DEBT!

GottaHavePride
3/20/2006, 11:48 PM
Heh. I'm sending it. But just so you hillbillies don't get your hopes up too far, keep in mind that so far - even auditioning places like the East Texas Symphony - I'm 0-for-7 on even making it out of the first round of what is usually a three-round process. ;)

And they say that on average it takes a person three auditions before they win one... Although now that I look at the list, the other six have all been fairly big jobs I've auditioned for. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

proud gonzo
3/20/2006, 11:50 PM
ah, let me correct my previous statement:

he WILL get himself EVEN MORE into REALLY FREAKING BIG DEBT!

3/20/2006, 11:52 PM
PG, you clearly don't understand the idea of debt vs. dead. One TOTALLY negates the other.

GottaHavePride
3/20/2006, 11:54 PM
Heh. Compared to the other conducting grad student at OU, who is finishing a doctorate and carrying $25,000+ in debt, I'm small potatoes.

Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew...

proud gonzo
3/20/2006, 11:54 PM
PG, you clearly don't understand the idea of debt vs. dead. One TOTALLY negates the other.
only for him! somebody'll still have to pay off the debt. PLUS the funeral costs! And the cleanup. I mean, there's no way his body would fit into one suitcase. :eek:

3/21/2006, 09:19 AM
It depends what you do with the body.

mdklatt
3/21/2006, 11:06 AM
he WILL get himself EVEN MORE into REALLY FREAKING BIG DEBT!

Then you should encourage him return the grill he bought you for your birthday.

OU4LIFE
3/21/2006, 11:13 AM
I think the real question here is, if you ARE asked to audition, how do you NOT go?

OU4LIFE
3/21/2006, 11:14 AM
Dey haf ways ov making you audition herr.

GottaHavePride
3/21/2006, 11:52 AM
This reminds me - I need to renew my passport anyway.

proud gonzo
3/21/2006, 01:25 PM
Then you should encourage him return the grill he bought you for your birthday.
my DAD bought GHP the grill for HIS birthday last week. :P

Oldnslo
3/21/2006, 02:28 PM
Pfft. You'd think one of the best orchestras in the world would already have more than one trombone player.
Yeah, but GHP knows how to play the "rusty trombone", and that should go over HUGE in Berlin.

GottaHavePride
3/22/2006, 12:42 AM
Oh, and apparently my trombone prof knows the principal bone in Berlin. And our trumpet prof knows the principal trumpet over there, too.

Jimminy Crimson
3/22/2006, 12:56 AM
Oh, and apparently my trombone prof knows the principal bone in Berlin. And our trumpet prof knows the principal trumpet over there, too.

Looking better and better.

Remember - hot german beyonces! blonde beyonces, at that.

GottaHavePride
3/22/2006, 12:58 AM
Nothing against blondes, but I like dark-haired chicks better. Or redheads.

soonerbrat
3/22/2006, 01:32 AM
i'm 1/4 German :D

GottaHavePride
3/22/2006, 01:53 AM
Hey now, I've already used one "How you doin'?" post on you tonight. ;)

Oh, and same here - my grandmother's from Berlin, oddly enough.

Cam
3/22/2006, 04:41 AM
The worst they can say is no, so go for it.

You'll get to go to Germany, write off the trip, and drink some real beer. Not to mention the hotties.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/22/2006, 07:15 AM
Interesting...

Do you go knowing you're probably a token interviewee and then disgrace them by playing really bad.

Or do you do it as a network builder and hopefully get a couple of free dinners out of the deal in Berlin and enjoy a couple of large mugs of the fine national beverage...

Ummm, I've seen it done both ways...

proud gonzo
3/22/2006, 07:06 PM
1) why would anyone want to go play really badly for an audition with arguably the best orchestra in the world?

2) I'm not seeing how free dinners factor in.

GottaHavePride
3/22/2006, 07:12 PM
Yeah, I don't think they'd be paying for anything. And if I went I would be fully intending to win that job. Playing badly would disgrace me, not them.

49r
3/22/2006, 07:46 PM
heh

"Rusty Trombone"

TheHumanAlphabet
3/22/2006, 11:00 PM
1) why would anyone want to go play really badly for an audition with arguably the best orchestra in the world?

As a sarcastic joke because the premise was that you wouldn't get the job...(or that's how I interpreted it...)

2) I'm not seeing how free dinners factor in.

Don't know about you, I always like free dinners. I saw one interviewee I sponsored just took the interview trip to eat expensively and stay in a nice hotel in Houston on our dime. Used was a good word for it. IF this person was interested in the job after I interviewed her, she wasn't going to get it, I blackballed her as she was pretty transparent about her interest...

proud gonzo
3/22/2006, 11:02 PM
Don't know about you, I always like free dinners. I saw one interviewee I sponsored just took the interview trip to eat expensively and stay in a nice hotel in Houston on our dime. Used was a good word for it. IF this person was interested in the job after I interviewed her, she wasn't going to get it, I blackballed her as she was pretty transparent about her interest...
that's not how orchestras work.

GottaHavePride
3/22/2006, 11:03 PM
Yeah, when an orchestra has a job like that open they accept resumes and allow about 80 people to come audition. And they don't pay for anything unless you're one of the top 3 at the end, and then they might reimburse you for travel or hotel.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/22/2006, 11:06 PM
Damn! you all are slaves to your profession...

Mrs. THA sounds like she got more as a local musician and studio player back in the day.

GottaHavePride
3/22/2006, 11:11 PM
Heh. The day I stop enjoying this is the day I quit. I don't care as much about where I wind up doing this sort of thing so long as I have a good time and get a steady paycheck.

Of course, if I wind up somewhere cool like Berlin or Vienna (hell, even Boston or Chicago) that's worth serious bonus points.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/23/2006, 09:16 AM
Well, GHP, if you like beer as I do, you're okay by me...You're a 'bone player right? Know Kent Kidwell? Mrs. THA is good friends with their daughter. Cool that his brother played trumpet on "The Waltons" theme...

OUinFLA
3/23/2006, 09:24 AM
Interesting...

Do you go knowing you're probably a token interviewee and then disgrace them by playing really bad.

Or do you do it as a network builder and hopefully get a couple of free dinners out of the deal in Berlin and enjoy a couple of large jugs of the fine national babes...

Ummm, I've seen it done both ways...

fixed that perspective for ya.

BeetDigger
3/23/2006, 10:12 AM
Of course, if I wind up somewhere cool like Berlin or Vienna (hell, even Boston or Chicago) that's worth serious bonus points.

We'd miss you. I don't think Berlin or Vienna have access to the innerweb.

GottaHavePride
3/23/2006, 10:32 AM
Well, GHP, if you like beer as I do, you're okay by me...You're a 'bone player right? Know Kent Kidwell?

Yes and yes. Kidwell is a great guy - and some of his stories about his time in Baltimore are a riot.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/23/2006, 08:11 PM
Most definitely! They have a great family, I know the kids quite well by way of Mrs. THA as she and Mary were contemporaries in all musical aspects at UCO...

TUSooner
3/23/2006, 08:18 PM
Heh. The day I stop enjoying this is the day I quit. I don't care as much about where I wind up doing this sort of thing so long as I have a good time and get a steady paycheck.

Take it from a middle aged guy with a regret: Go 'head on, baby. Your attitude is 100% on the money. I wish I had never quit playing; every time I pass pawn shop I walk in to see if they have any decent trombones. (They only have beginner models, if any. :mad: )

BTW, I remember Kidwell as the principal in the OKC orch. What's he doing now?

TheHumanAlphabet
3/23/2006, 08:20 PM
As far as I know, I think he is involved in the UCO Jazz Lab in some way, but he is mostly spending time with the grand kids and roping.

3/23/2006, 08:25 PM
If you go to Germany, you might as well kiss your hopes of finding a decent chalupa goodbye.

proud gonzo
3/23/2006, 10:19 PM
Take it from a middle aged guy with a regret: Go 'head on, baby. Your attitude is 100% on the money. I wish I had never quit playing; every time I pass pawn shop I walk in to see if they have any decent trombones. (They only have beginner models, if any. :mad: )

he's still principal in the Phil

GottaHavePride
3/24/2006, 12:21 AM

Right now he's the trombone prof at UCO, is sort of in charge over at the UCO Jazz Lab, and principal bone in the Phil. He's about to retire from UCO, but he's still playing.

GottaHavePride
3/27/2006, 09:19 AM
So, latest update: the Berlin Philharmonic has thanked me for my application and said they will contact me again after reviewing my documents. Or something to that effect.

C&CDean
3/27/2006, 10:04 AM
he's still principal in the Phil

Listen to the band geekette. Gettin' all hip. An' ****.

"he still principal in da' Phil, yo"

:mack:

Oldnslo
3/27/2006, 10:13 AM
So, latest update: the Berlin Philharmonic has thanked me for my application and said they will contact me again after reviewing my documents. Or something to that effect.
"Uh, long distance, directory-assistance, area code 212",
I said, "Hey hey, man, this is Mr. Rhythm-and-Blues"
He said hello and put me on hold
To say the least, the cat was cold
He said, "Don't call us, child, we'll call you"
I said, "You got my number?"
He said, "Yeah, I got it when you walked in the door."

Don't call us...we'll call you
Don't call us...we'll call you

"I got your name from a friend of a friend
Who said he used to work with you
Do you remember the all-night preacher from Stereo-92?"
I said, "Could you relate to our quarter-track tape?
You know the band performs in the nude."
He said, "Uh-uh, don't call us, we'll call you."

"Listen kid, you pay for the call?
You ain't bad, but we 've heard it all before
Yeah, it sounds like John, Paul and George."

Anyway, we cut a hit and toured a bit,
With the song he said he couldn't use
And now he calls, and begs and crawls,
It's telephone Deja Vu
We got percentage points and lousy joints
And all the glitter we can use, mama,
So, huh, don't call us, we'll call you!

You may have heard this one before, too:
"Listen kid, you pay for the call
Well, you ain't bad but I've heard it all before."

Don't call us...we'll call you.
Don't call us...we'll call you.

SoonerBK
3/27/2006, 10:17 AM
Why don't you ask Brian Britt what he thinks you should do.:texan:

If you do audition and do not get in, you might have to put your time in one of those ooom-pah bands that wear lederhosen.

I think you should do it.

GottaHavePride
3/27/2006, 07:19 PM
Only if I could take dolemite along as the official lederhosen-wearing gangsta.

apusooner
3/27/2006, 08:27 PM
If you do audition and do not get in, you might have to put your time in one of those ooom-pah bands that wear lederhosen.

I think you should do it.

i second that notion. it would be worth it just for the picture. at least from where i stand.

proud gonzo
3/27/2006, 08:40 PM

I think you might have translated that wrong:

Allo GHP!

Ist hier ein Schlachthof in der N&#228;he, oder hast du dein Deo vergessen?? Wir haben geh&#246;rt, deine Mutter st&#252;lpt dir vor dem Gutenachtkuss eine T&#252;te &#252;ber den Kopf, weil du so h&#228;sslich bist!

Wir hassen dich. Der Schlag soll dich treffen.

Tsch&#252;ss!

;)