PDA

View Full Version : Hey Okla-homey

OUHOMER
3/19/2006, 07:10 PM
was working around an old window and pulled up the window seal. found some old new papers..

Sunday May 2,1982

front page headlines

British jets attack Falklands,

Warships shell Argentine army positions

Business section

Penn Square bank " banks Oil lending gets into it big time" (if they only knew)

Sports

Sun CAT 22-1 long shot comes from last to first to win Kentucky Derby

advertisments

Atari on sale for 144.95 extra games $31.95 each (wow)

Otasco lawn mower $129.76

Stock

IBM $ 64.00
walmart $50.00

Anyway thought it was interesting

Okla-homey
3/19/2006, 07:20 PM
was working around an old window and pulled up the window seal. found some old new papers..

Sunday May 2,1982

front page headlines

British jets attack Falklands,

Warships shell Argentine army positions

Business section

Penn Square bank " banks Oil lending gets into it big time" (if they only knew)

Sports

Sun CAT 22-1 long shot comes from last to first to win Kentucky Derby

advertisments

Atari on sale for 144.95 extra games $31.95 each (wow)

Otasco lawn mower $129.76

Stock

IBM $ 64.00
walmart $50.00

Anyway thought it was interesting

Pretty cool. That Falklands Islands fandango was all about a great British PM (Maggie Thatcher) with strength of will and principle refusing to sell-out a small group of British subjects and a few thousand British sheep halfway around the world. It was also one of the best examples of the decisive difference that resourceful and innovative logisticians can make in amilitary campaign.

Although he's Labour and not a Conservative like Thatcher, I greatly admire Tony Blair for the way he has stood by this country. We have no better friends in the eastern hemisphere than the Brits.

OUHOMER
3/19/2006, 07:37 PM
I thought it was pretty cool. i almost hate to throw it out

Okla-homey
3/19/2006, 07:39 PM
I thought it was pretty cool. i almost hate to throw it out

Well don't. It ain't eating anything. Just stick it in ziplock bag and cram it somewhere. It could make an interesting show-n-tell for a OUHomer kiddo someday.:D

OUHOMER
3/19/2006, 07:40 PM
lol Kiddos are grown and gone..

Okla-homey
3/19/2006, 07:41 PM
lol Kiddos are grown and gone..

OUHomer grandkiddo's?

TUSooner
3/19/2006, 11:05 PM
Pretty cool. That Falklands Islands fandango was all about a great British PM (Maggie Thatcher) with strength of will and principle refusing to sell-out a small group of British subjects and a few thousand British sheep halfway around the world. It was also one of the best examples of the decisive difference that resourceful and innovative logisticians can make in amilitary campaign.

Although he's Labour and not a Conservative like Thatcher, I greatly admire Tony Blair for the way he has stood by this country. We have no better friends in the eastern hemisphere than the Brits.
Anybody know of a good book on the Falklands war? I was in undergrad nite skool at Tulane, and some guy walked into class wearing a t-shirt that said something like "Las Malvinas (the Argies name for the Falklands) est Argentinas!" I must say I found his "argument" bereft of moral force and just another anti-Anglo blurb. Ahhm but Maggie was a fine one; now THERE's a woman who could have gotten elected POTUS . . . maybe without even being American ;)

Okla-homey
3/19/2006, 11:15 PM
Anybody know of a good book on the Falklands war? I was in undergrad nite skool at Tulane, and some guy walked into class wearing a t-shirt that said something like "Las Malvinas (the Argies name for the Falklands) est Argentinas!" I must say I found his "argument" bereft of moral force and just another anti-Anglo blurb. Ahhm but Maggie was a fine one; now THERE's a woman who could have gotten elected POTUS . . . maybe without even being American ;)

The Battle for the Falklands by Max Hastings, Simon Jenkins, Paperback, September 1984 - Amazon.com...it's Brit of course, so not completely objective, but I used it to develop a course I taught at Leavenworth on post-WWII air campaigns. Its quite well written.

TUSooner
3/19/2006, 11:17 PM
The Battle for the Falklands by Max Hastings, Simon Jenkins, Paperback, September 1984 - Amazon.com...it's Brit of course, so not completely objective, but I used it to develop a course I taught at Leavenworth on post-WWII air campaigns. Its quite well written.
Thanks, bud. I'll look it up. Looks like it could be good motel-room reading on an upcoming soccer road trip.