PDA

View Full Version : So, I got another dog...

colleyvillesooner
3/19/2006, 02:58 PM
Moved in with the girlfriend about a month ago to a townhome with a yard. We had been talking about getting a puppy to go along with her dog (half pug/half boston terrier, 10 months) now that we have more room. We wanted to get one soon so they would be close in age. Well, we looked in the paper yesterday and the first one we called had one girl left. It was really close to where we were, so we thought, "let's go check it out." Well, we walk in and first thing we notice, the people are Sooners. Big plus right there. :D The dog was cute and lots of energy, perfect for the crazy dog we have now. Didn't take long before we decided to get her.

(and no Stanley, she didn't talk me into it, I was just razzing her the other night about it. ;))

P.S. Any good potty training tips?

Mable:
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/1143/thdsc028037nu.jpg

ChickSoonerFan
3/19/2006, 03:13 PM
Too cute. What kind is it?

Best potty training tip I know: Get one that is already potty trained. :D

I had a friend that every time the dog pee'd in the house, she would ring a bell. Then she would ring a bell when she took it outside to pee. Eventually, she would just ring the bell throughout the day and put the dog outside to pee....it seemed to work. The dog would to outside to pee when she rang the bell.

I may be missing a detail or two though...

nevermind.

BeetDigger
3/19/2006, 03:15 PM

For you or Mable?

boomersooner28
3/19/2006, 03:28 PM
Go buy the smallest crate possible and crate train the puppy...most of them now have great tips attached about how to get the pup used to the crate. You want a small crate so that the puppy doesn't have a lot of extra space. They will not "go" in their own bed, this is why crate training is the best method...of course you don't want to leave her in their for a long period of time if possible.

We got a new puppy last week, and she is doing great. You have to make sure they go outside every hour. HAVE FUN!

Stanley1
3/19/2006, 03:29 PM
(and no Stanley, she didn't talk me into it, I was just razzing her the other night about it. ;))

Whatever. Sucker. :D

jk the sooner fan
3/19/2006, 03:54 PM
take the dog out as often as possible, and by "as often", i mean ALL THE TIME

reward Mable when she potties and not when she doesnt

be patient and consistent

the crate training works as well, but when you're home...take her outside

cute dog by the way!

colleyvillesooner
3/19/2006, 04:08 PM
I'm thinking about trying the bell method. My parents used that with their first dog and it worked like a charm. Where would i get said bell?

It's a Boston Terrier by the way.

ChickSoonerFan
3/19/2006, 04:13 PM
I'm thinking about trying the bell method. My parents used that with their first dog and it worked like a charm. Where would i get said bell?

A bell? I would think you could get one anywhere like Target or wal-mart.

If they are hard to find, maybe an office supply would have those desk top kind you tap and they ding...you know what I mean?

Cute...makes me want a puppy. :)

jk the sooner fan
3/19/2006, 04:54 PM
those bells are tougher to find than you'd think

they work though! but be uber patient on that, just when you'r ready to give up on it, the dog will figure it out

colleyvillesooner
3/19/2006, 05:26 PM
those bells are tougher to find than you'd think

they work though! but be uber patient on that, just when you'r ready to give up on it, the dog will figure it out

yeah, patience is the key. All she does now is sleep though :)

I think Wal-mat might have bells in the craft area.

jk the sooner fan
3/19/2006, 05:28 PM
i think i found mine at michaels or hobby lobby

olevetonahill
3/19/2006, 05:37 PM
Cute pup
I trained Knothead it was easy , he was around 10 nts old when i found him at the dump . Brought him home , he pooped in the floor that nite , Got up saw it chewed his *** a little and let him out . dam dumb dog has never messed in the house since ;) Black lab stray by the way . best dogs Ive ever had were dump dogs or pound dogs .
Good luck with her

BajaOklahoma
3/19/2006, 05:41 PM
Rule of thumb is the puppy can only be in a crate for one hour per month of age before needing to go outside.
We were told to take the puppy outside, on its leash, to go potty. And it is supposed to be done that way for the first 6 months. If the dog doesn't potty, take it back in and crate it for 15 minutes. Then try again. If the puppy does her thing, then take the leash off and play outside for a few minutes. Use the same phrasing to indicate that it is time to go potty so you don't confuse the puppy.
It is a pain, but it works. You can also count on the older dog to help train the puppy on this. Our little one likes to do what the others do.

AlbqSooner
3/19/2006, 07:00 PM
You can also count on the older dog to help train the puppy on this. Our little one likes to do what the others do.
I had a 2 year old cocker when I got my dalmation. I hardly had to do any training. The cocker would growl and push her into the room where we had paper down to pee anytime she started to squat. It was amazing to watch. Kinda like he was telling her "We got a great thing here and I am willing to let you stay. Don't screw it up."

Scott D
3/19/2006, 07:09 PM

Teach her to pee on Stanley's floors only and you'll be fine. ;)

then her nickname can be 2tc

Stanley1
3/19/2006, 08:10 PM
Teach her to pee on Stanley's floors only and you'll be fine. ;)

then her nickname can be 2tc

I've never invited CVS over, let alone CVS and his puppy. :texan:

jrsooner
3/19/2006, 08:40 PM
Go buy the smallest crate possible and crate train the puppy...most of them now have great tips attached about how to get the pup used to the crate. You want a small crate so that the puppy doesn't have a lot of extra space. They will not "go" in their own bed, this is why crate training is the best method...of course you don't want to leave her in their for a long period of time if possible.Another vote on crate training. Our Aussie is doing great, and took to it like a champ. The breeder even told us to crate train her. Now my wife's new pomeranian, after about 6 months she's 50% there. Though I don't think pom's have lick of sense about them. :)

sooner n houston
3/19/2006, 09:31 PM
Here is a link to my new puppy! Cannot get it to post the pic?

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/bc/2b0d8611/bc/My+Photos/Star+sitting+2.jpg?bfWahHEBDSwGqodW

colleyvillesooner
3/20/2006, 10:29 AM
Update: Woke up twice last night to go to the bathroom. She's gone in her kennel both nights. Hope that stops. We do take her out all the time, and she goes almost everytime. Biggest problem so far is getting the older dog to let her have a toy every once in a while. Big dog takes it, so puppy retaliates with bites on the lip or belly. She then is sent flying. :D

Thanks for all the help.

Norm In Norman
3/20/2006, 11:00 AM
Maaaaaan, I've been wanting another puppy, but I probably won't do it. I don't know how the cat will react. We were dog sitting my mom's dog this weekend and the cat spent the whole time waiting to attack. Mom's dog would run by and BLAMO the cat would jump on his back. The cat loves our Boston Terrier though. he cleans her face very night.

Norm In Norman
3/20/2006, 11:01 AM
Oh, and i've seen that look on my BT's face, and that face means TROUBLE.

Beef
3/20/2006, 11:03 AM
I got my puppy housebroken by 10 weeks old using crate training. It works.

MamaMia
3/20/2006, 11:07 AM
Your new puppy is adorable. :D

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/20/2006, 11:12 AM
I love Bostons.

JohnnyMack
3/20/2006, 11:28 AM

The bell works. My woman hung some bells on the back door at Christmas for decoration and kinda by accident it became our dog's way of telling us he wanted out. Works great. Except when he gets bored and thinks it's funny to ring the bell and run off. :mack:

JohnnyMack
3/20/2006, 11:28 AM
I love Bostons.

Why do you hate Rudy Giuliani?

colleyvillesooner
3/20/2006, 11:32 AM
The bell works. My woman hung some bells on the back door at Christmas for decoration and kinda by accident it became our dog's way of telling us he wanted out. Works great. Except when he gets bored and thinks it's funny to ring the bell and run off. :mack:

That's when you shoot it with the BB gun, right? ;)