PDA

View Full Version : for all you hillbillies upset about our boys in the basketball tournament

Ike
3/19/2006, 12:15 AM
I come bringing an alternative that some of you may have overlooked.

the NAIA mens basketball tournament is down to the final four, and TWO Oklahoma teams have made the cut. #7 seeded Oklahoma City will face unseeded Texas Weslyan to determine one of the slots in the national title game, while on the other side of the bracket, #8 seeded Oklahoma Baptist will square off against #3 seed Robert Moriss tomorrow. It's entirely possible that we will can see an all-hillbilly national title game. Pick a side and pull for em. In other words, pull for OCU, and first year coach Ray Harper...Although I do miss Win Case...there was never a better name for a coach.

afs
3/19/2006, 12:29 AM
I gotta root for the baptists, as I dated the coach's daughter back in college

Frozen Sooner
3/19/2006, 12:37 AM
Mike Neal used to play for OCU, right?

Ike
3/19/2006, 02:39 AM
Mike Neal used to play for OCU, right?
If you are talking about OU's Mike Neal, then how about a big fat Nooooo. ;)

or at least as far as I can tell. OCU is a 4 year university, and it's not very often that players leave for other schools. It does happen, just not often.

Frozen Sooner
3/19/2006, 03:44 AM
I think the story went that he enrolled at OCU, got the brain infection, had the surgery, and when he got better the new coach didn't want him.

Ike
3/19/2006, 04:43 AM
I think the story went that he enrolled at OCU, got the brain infection, had the surgery, and when he got better the new coach didn't want him.

ahh, that could be. I haven't been paying attention to any basketball at all lately, but from what I could tell from my cursory searches, he came from a juco in texas.

Frozen Sooner
3/19/2006, 12:28 PM
Yep. He ended up transferring from his original school to Lon Morris then to OU.

oumartin
3/19/2006, 12:53 PM
so what you are saying is not only can ORU probably beat OU right now but at least two NIAI teams could to? :D

Who does Terry Evans coach for?

Ike
3/20/2006, 09:50 PM
OK, so apparently I got the pairings wrong, but no matter.

OCU today beat Robert Moriss(Ill) 94-92 to advance to the title game where they face the winner of OBU and Texas Weslyan.

OBU is currently up 38-30 with 2 minutes left in the first half.

Ike
3/20/2006, 10:39 PM
oh, and I forgot mention, you can find links to follow the games here (2 auto-updating web-stats gametracker thingies, and a PPV internet TV broadcast that costs 10 bucks per game).
http://naia.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/030806aad.html

IronSooner
3/20/2006, 10:41 PM
Beat Texas!

Ike
3/20/2006, 10:42 PM
Beat Texas!
heh. doesn't look that thats gonna happen, OBU is down 79-65 with a minute and a half left. they've laid an egg in the second half.

Jimminy Crimson
3/21/2006, 10:33 AM
Go Chiefs! :D

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/21/2006, 10:55 AM
Go Chiefs! :DThat would be Stars. . .

Jimminy Crimson
3/21/2006, 11:04 AM
That would be Stars. . .

I still call them the Chiefs! :mack:
Stupid PC mascot crap!

FaninAma
3/21/2006, 11:27 AM
I gotta root for the baptists, as I dated the coach's daughter back in college

I'll go with the Baptists over the Methodists, too.

Ike
3/21/2006, 01:25 PM
I still call them the Chiefs! :mack:
Stupid PC mascot crap!

I still call them Chiefs when I am around others familiar with OCU....but Stars otherwise cause it just confuses people.

BTW, I was one of 'The Last Chiefs' to ever play at OCU. The year after I graduated, the name was retired for Stars, and the last spring sport to finish was the baseball team, so literally, I was one of the last 25 guys to put on the Chief's uniform. the nice part about it was that I got to keep my jersey, which I had signed by every member of the team.

Ike
3/21/2006, 01:27 PM
I'll go with the Baptists over the Methodists, too.
unfortunately, you are too late. OBU lost last night, so instead of an all-okie title game, we have an all-methodist final game.

sooneron
3/21/2006, 01:36 PM
I'll go with the school that allows dancing. Go OCU!

Ike
3/21/2006, 01:39 PM
I'll go with the school that allows dancing. Go OCU!

its not only allowed...it's encouraged. 1 out of oh, 10 or so, of the undergrad women there are dance majors. It makes for some nice scenery.

OCU also gets to lay claim to 3 Miss Americas.

These were a big part of the reason I chose to go there instead of OBU. :D

Jimminy Crimson
3/21/2006, 02:00 PM
its not only allowed...it's encouraged. 1 out of oh, 10 or so, of the undergrad women there are dance majors. It makes for some nice scenery.

OCU also gets to lay claim to 3 Miss Americas.

These were a big part of the reason I chose to go there instead of OBU. :D

And because you can walk to Kamps and eat lunch.
But the hotties do rule!

Jimminy Crimson
3/21/2006, 02:05 PM
Oh, and as nice as the new gym is, I still miss the old barn. :(

You got any insight to the plans of movin' OCU up to D-I ranks? It would suck in the interim, due to no post season eligibility, but it'd be nice to have a D-I school in OKC. UCO needs to move up to I-AA, too, while we're on the subject...

Ike
3/21/2006, 02:13 PM
Oh, and as nice as the new gym is, I still miss the old barn. :(

You got any insight to the plans of movin' OCU up to D-I ranks? It would suck in the interim, due to no post season eligibility, but it'd be nice to have a D-I school in OKC. UCO needs to move up to I-AA, too, while we're on the subject...

I don't have any insight other than this.

last night I was talking to my dad who claims he has been hearing a lot about a potential move. We generally agreed that in order to do so, OCU would have to add a few sports. With the new Gym (I hope they have givin it a new name since I left...the wellness center was just pussified), we both agreed they would most likely add indoor sports, as they wouldn't have to build as much in the way of new facilities. I figured that the most likely to be added would be Wrestling and Volleyball. Then later last night I was looking over their athletics website, and Lo and Behold, they have announced that they have hired a wrestling coach and a volleyball coach. So I'd say its quite possible that they are looking to make the move. But I have no direct knowledge. Next time I vist OK (in may for my sisters graduation) I might have to pay the wookie a visit and ask him. If the baseball team is in town that is.

and yeah, the old barn was awesome. We (the baseball team) used to sit directly behind the west goal and taunt the living hell out of the opposition at basketball games. It wasn't uncommon for opposition players to start barking back at us, which just made it all the more fun.

Jimminy Crimson
3/21/2006, 02:23 PM
I don't have any insight other than this.

last night I was talking to my dad who claims he has been hearing a lot about a potential move. We generally agreed that in order to do so, OCU would have to add a few sports. With the new Gym (I hope they have givin it a new name since I left...the wellness center was just pussified), we both agreed they would most likely add indoor sports, as they wouldn't have to build as much in the way of new facilities. I figured that the most likely to be added would be Wrestling and Volleyball. Then later last night I was looking over their athletics website, and Lo and Behold, they have announced that they have hired a wrestling coach and a volleyball coach. So I'd say its quite possible that they are looking to make the move.

and yeah, the old barn was awesome. We (the baseball team) used to sit directly behind the west goal and taunt the living hell out of the opposition at basketball games. It wasn't uncommon for opposition players to start barking back at us, which just made it all the more fun.

Yeah, they hired the El Reno coach who is a pretty salty grappling coach, from what I hear.

I know the city and chamber are big proponents of the move.

I remember tossing paper airplanes on the court back in the day. :)

Ike
3/21/2006, 02:27 PM
Yeah, they hired the El Reno coach who is a pretty salty grappling coach, from what I hear.

I know the city and chamber are big proponents of the move.

I remember tossing paper airplanes on the court back in the day. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. They've really been investing a lot of money into the athletic department over there lately. And remember that they used to be a D1 school back in the 80s.

The only thing I wouldn't like about it is that it would actually make baseball recruiting more difficult for them I think, because it would reduce the number of baseball scholly's they can give out.