PDA

View Full Version : SO Advice

Mongo
3/18/2006, 01:41 PM
If one's wife is pregnant over mothers' day, is it the fathers duty to get her something for mothers day? Technically she is not quite a mother, yet she is a mother to be.

Discuss.

BajaOklahoma
3/18/2006, 01:45 PM
Answer this question, which will also answer your question:
Do you want to stay married?

Howzit
3/18/2006, 01:50 PM
Look at it this way, if your wife doesn't expect it and you buy her a gift, you'll score points. On the other hand, if she expects it and you don't, you are in deep ca ca.

My guess is she expects it. 'Cause she's a she. She is a she? ;)

And congrats.

VeeJay
3/18/2006, 01:51 PM
Better safe than sorry, fer sure.

I don't think the expectee would be upset since she more than likely is looking forward to becoming a Mom. Yeah, I'd get something.

She may already consider herself a Mom since there's a package in the mailbox.

In both my experiences, I just happened to place my orders where this wouldn't be an issue. #1 was born on May 5, and #2 was born in Feb.

Congrats, Pops!

OUHOMER
3/18/2006, 01:58 PM
How long you been married son. Thats kinda like beeing asked does my *** look big in this dress>. You must buy the mothers day gift

85Sooner
3/18/2006, 01:59 PM
How long you been married son. Thats kinda like beeing asked does my *** look big in this dress>. You must buy the mothers day gift

Absotively. That shouldn't even be a question. GO SHOPPING and make it special.

Mongo
3/18/2006, 02:08 PM
Sh#t! My wife alone is enough overhead cost, now her being with child is going to double! I guess I am a cheapskate looking to save a nickel. And yes I am fairly new at being a husband and now a father.

Mongo
3/18/2006, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the Congrats!

Costanza: My boys can swim! My boys can swim!

VeeJay
3/18/2006, 02:13 PM
Sh#t! And yes I am fairly new at being a husband and now a father.

You must be better at it than you give yourself credit for. Marrying prospects aren't looking for a cheapskate. Surely you bought her a nice toaster or leaf blower or somethin' when you were courtin.'

bigdsooner
3/18/2006, 02:31 PM
Answer this question, which will also answer your question:
Do you want to stay married?

:D

olevetonahill
3/18/2006, 02:36 PM
since your a cheapskate just buy her a nice rod an reel YWIA

Mongo
3/18/2006, 02:38 PM
I bought her a white lab, thats it. I kind of knew we would get married so in turn the lab is also mine. We only dated 5 months before we got married so I didnt have to shell out gifts.

Mongo
3/18/2006, 02:42 PM
She is a hillbilly from Ardmore. She doesnt need a reel, she noodles :D

Al Gore
3/18/2006, 02:57 PM
goonie goo goo

Okla-homey
3/18/2006, 03:07 PM
build her a cake.

Okla-homey
3/18/2006, 03:08 PM
She is a hillbilly from Ardmore. She doesnt need a reel, she noodles :D

Watch it buster. It is a well established fact that the brightest Okies are all from Carter County.

Tailwind
3/18/2006, 03:17 PM
Seriously, did this question even need to be asked?

Newbomb Turk
3/18/2006, 03:19 PM
Be nice to her - maybe she'll buy you a new wallet.

Mongo
3/18/2006, 03:22 PM
I have nothing against Carter County, in fact the hillbilly lifestyle is one that I prefer. And yes the question had to be asked, I'm a guy, I still dont know how a woman thinks!

Mongo
3/18/2006, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the green stuff whoever sent it

Newbomb Turk
3/18/2006, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the green stuff whoever sent it

You're welcome - mine was for the port-a-john story. :D

Mongo
3/18/2006, 03:29 PM
;) For sale: slightly used wallet with minor damage:D

Newbomb Turk
3/18/2006, 03:31 PM
;) For sale: slightly used wallet with minor damage:D

I'll pass.

slickdawg
3/18/2006, 03:36 PM
slickdog says your wife is giving you the greatest thing in the world - a child,
and you should get her something nice for mothers day.

Mongo
3/18/2006, 03:41 PM
Great Advice Slick

slickdawg
3/18/2006, 03:43 PM
I'm here to help. :D

I've got megaspek for the ladies, they give up and go through a lot to
give us our babies.

OUthunder
3/18/2006, 04:10 PM
NO!

OUWxGuesser
3/18/2006, 04:10 PM
my wife's grandparents get me a fathers day card every year and we aren't expecting... kinda creeps me out....

Cam
3/18/2006, 04:14 PM
My wife was pregnant for Mother's Day. She absolute refused to accept a gift. She said it just didn't feel right since the baby wasn't born yet.

Okla-homey
3/18/2006, 04:28 PM
my wife's grandparents get me a fathers day card every year and we aren't expecting... kinda creeps me out....

They prolly just think you have kids. "Is Rusty still in the Navy";)

MamaMia
3/18/2006, 10:47 PM
I think its sweet that you asked us if you should get her something on that day. It would be very appropriate for you to give her a gift on Mothers Day, since she is indeed the mother of the child she is carrying. Your wife is blessed to have you and you are to have her. Remind her of that with a Mothers Day gift. :)

Mongo
3/18/2006, 10:52 PM
:) Thanks mom! :) Was surprised that many people didnt call me an a$$hole for even asking. But I guess the SO can produce some decent advice.

Mjcpr
3/18/2006, 10:53 PM
:) Thanks mom! :) Was surprised that many people didnt call me an a$$hole for even asking. But I guess the SO can produce some decent advice.

I think MOM has only called 4 or 5 people *******s on here. 6 tops.

MamaMia
3/18/2006, 10:57 PM
I think MOM has only called 4 or 5 people *******s on here. 6 tops.If I did, they certainly were'nt Sooners. :D

Mongo
3/18/2006, 10:59 PM
Now another question to you SO'ers. Should I pony up the money and get her the baby bedroom suite she wants or get her something from me to her? And remember, we make good money, we just dont sh!t diamonds, so dont say both.

Jimminy Crimson
3/18/2006, 11:01 PM
I bet Hallmark has a card for your exact situation.

They have some funny 'occasion' cards these days. Divorce/odd relations/awkward situations. Some are funny enough to warrant a 'heh'.

slickdawg
3/18/2006, 11:17 PM
Now another question to you SO'ers. Should I pony up the money and get her the baby bedroom suite she wants or get her something from me to her? And remember, we make good money, we just dont sh!t diamonds, so dont say both.

That is, by far, the most thoughtful and caring thing you can do for her.

It deliveres nothing but positive messages and shows your excitement
in the upcoming baby.

When we got our Baby's furniture, it really brightened my wife up, and made
me feel good too.

I think you have your answer.

Mongo
3/18/2006, 11:22 PM
I guess as a dude, things like this dont really matter, but to a woman it means all the world. The student learns much from the teacher!

sooner_born_1960
3/18/2006, 11:22 PM
Another perspective... Some would be afraid of jinxing the deal, if you know what I mean.

Mongo
3/18/2006, 11:24 PM
explain sb1960

slickdawg
3/18/2006, 11:24 PM
I guess as a dude, things like this dont really matter, but to a woman it means all the world. The student learns much from the teacher!

Grasshopper, for it is a man's responsiblity to help his fellow man in this
journey in lilfe.

****ing off a pregnant wife is one thing we all must help each other with
in preventing.

slickdawg
3/18/2006, 11:26 PM
explain sb1960

I suspect he's talking about the possibility of miscarriage or such.

Don't even think that way, without exception.

We had one last summer, and it leaves a hole in your heart and soul.

Be optomistic and supportive, without exception!!!!

Mongo
3/18/2006, 11:29 PM
It was concieved by permission from above, and its outcome will come from above! Its not in my hands, and I trust whos hands it is in!

Mjcpr
3/18/2006, 11:30 PM
Has anyone seen Oprah?

Mongo
3/18/2006, 11:33 PM
:D Why do you hate sharing feelings?:D

slickdawg
3/18/2006, 11:34 PM
It was concieved by permission from above, and its outcome will come from above! Its not in my hands, and I trust whos hands it is in!

Brother, you are thinking the right way. My wife says "God gives you what you need".

We got a Christmas Day little girl. She is wonderful, and completely
pwnes her daddy.

No matter how crappy my day has been, I come home from work and
see her, and the world becomes a dramatically better place.

Keep your faith in God, and he will take care of you.

OUHOMER
3/18/2006, 11:54 PM
I have nothing against Carter County, in fact the hillbilly lifestyle is one that I prefer. And yes the question had to be asked, I'm a guy, I still dont know how a woman thinks!

been married 30 years and i still dont know how they think. i know just enough to keep me out of trouble.:D

AlbqSooner
3/19/2006, 07:26 AM
Given what pregnancy hormones do to a woman's thinking I would suggest you get the gift. Otherwise, this pregnancy will do more damage to your body than hers.

Okla-homey
3/19/2006, 10:10 AM
Here's something else to consider. In the show dog breeding biz, most breeding contracts include terms which state the b1tch owner only pays the stud fee if the b1tch whelps at least one puppy who lives six days.

I don't know why I mentioned that but it seemed somehow remotely relevant.

Here's something else to remember which goes over well with both your wife and her mother. Send your mother-in-law flowers on Mothers Day (just from you). Write on the card how much you appreciate her bringing such a fantastic person (your wife) into the world.

I did that a couple of times over the years and my wife thought it was the "sweetest thing evar." It made me feel like Mr. Smoothy McSmoothe

Don't overdo it though. That sort of thing can quickly turn from a nice gesture to "The Graduate-esque" creepy.

Just trying to be helpful (married to my kid's mother for going on 24 years):D

Big Red Ron
3/19/2006, 10:16 AM
I say let it come and go without even a word. No need to raise future expectations. :D Remember, she's lucky to be having your baby. ;)

Mongo
3/19/2006, 12:44 PM
Homey, are you saying I have provided a "stud service" for my "bitch" and she owes me something?:D

Good call on the MIL. Event though I would like to choke her, I guess I could do something for her. But do I need to do something for my mom?

jrsooner
3/19/2006, 01:18 PM
If one's wife is pregnant over mothers' day, is it the fathers duty to get her something for mothers day? Technically she is not quite a mother, yet she is a mother to be. Heck, yes! And never stop buying something on Mother's day for her in the future. You'll never here the end of it if you don't.

ChickSoonerFan
3/19/2006, 01:24 PM
Getting the furniture is very generous, but not my idea of a Mother's Day present. Just my opinion. I mean you would get furniture for the baby's room even it it wasn't Mother's Day at some point in time. If you get the furniture, which I am sure she would love, I would also get her a small something, even it is is a small bouquet of flowers or something sweet for HER for Mother's Day. You do not need two large gifts. Truly, it will be the thought that counts in this situation.

And yes...you should send your mother something for Mother's Day.

Mjcpr
3/19/2006, 01:25 PM
Getting the furniture is very generous, but not my idea of a Mother's Day present. Just my opinion. I mean you would get furniture for the baby's room even it it wasn't Mother's Day at some point in time. If you get the furniture, which I am sure she would love, I would also get her a small something, even it is is a small bouquet of flowers or something sweet for HER for Mother's Day. You do not need two large gifts. Truly, it will be the thought that counts in this situation.

Like a vacuum cleaner?

olevetonahill
3/19/2006, 01:29 PM
Homey, are you saying I have provided a "stud service" for my "bitch" and she owes me something?:D

Good call on the MIL. Event though I would like to choke her, I guess I could do something for her. But do I need to do something for my mom?
How old are you ?
you have to ask about your Mother ? Hell yes get Mom an MIL something . get your wife a gift just for HER. then you both go and get the baby furniture :cool:
either that or do what I said earlier get her a fishing pole and tell her you want a nice fish dinner . then you wont have to worry about ever getting her anything again ( or the MIL either ) :eek:

ChickSoonerFan
3/19/2006, 01:30 PM
Like a vacuum cleaner?

If it is anything like your house, that would be a gift for the dad appearantly.

Mjcpr
3/19/2006, 01:30 PM
If it is anything like your house, that would be a gift for the dad appearantly.

Heh.

Oh, and Booooooo!!! :mad:

Okla-homey
3/19/2006, 01:38 PM

No, simply opining that she does not rate "official" motherhood status until she is delivered of a child into the world who shares her genetic material. To think otherwise might get you in dutch with the pro-choice folks.;)

ChickSoonerFan
3/19/2006, 01:43 PM
Heh.

Oh, and Booooooo!!! :mad:

Hey..that is just what I heard.

Don't nag the messenger. ;)

:D :D :D