PDA

View Full Version : New car advice

Norm In Norman
3/18/2006, 11:29 AM
It looks like I'm probably going to need a new car pretty soon. The POS Taurus is on it's last legs. Well, not really but I don't want to put any money in a car that hasn't much resell value. Hopefully I can change the spark plugs or something and the engine light will go off.

Anyway, I'm thinking about looking at a (2006) Camry, Accord, Altima, and Sonata. Sonata wasn't on my list before, but dang it's getting awesome reviews. I was surprised. It's mainly going to be for my wife to drive back and forth to school in. I'm trying to stay around or less than 20k and I'm looking for good gas mileage, so I'll probably get a 4 cylinder. I hear the 4 cylinders now are pretty peppy.

I imagine that the prices should be pretty good now since the 2007s are coming out. Is there anything I've left off the list? I've even thought about looking at the new rav4 or ford escape, but I'm not too sure I like them or want a small SUV. The 6 cylinder rav4 is supposed to get good gas mileage though and they are bigger this year.

Frozen Sooner
3/18/2006, 11:33 AM
Camrys are solid solid cars. There's a reason they were the best-selling car in America for a while (it may be that they still are.)

Any one that I know that's owned an Accord never talks about their car-which is a good thing. They don't break down.

I'd have a hard time driving anything with "Hyundai" on the nameplate, but a good car is a good car.

Basically, I've given you no advice whatsoever. I don't think you'll be disappointed with either an Accord or Camry.

Stanley1
3/18/2006, 11:38 AM
I've got an Accord, and love it. I put about 20k per year on it, and I've done nothing but change the oil and brakes after almost 3 years. It runs a little loud, ie, lets road noise in, but other than that, I can't complain.

oumartin
3/18/2006, 11:39 AM
I love Honda! But the hyundai are; like you said; getting great reviews and I know someone(I'll not say who to protect him from ridicule) that absolutely loves his hyundai.

mrowl
3/18/2006, 11:43 AM
a 4 cylinder will never be peppy out of the factory. I will NEVER have one again after trying to merge onto 35 in Moore.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/18/2006, 11:45 AM
would you like me to scan the consumer reports used car page for you?

Frozen Sooner
3/18/2006, 11:48 AM
a 4 cylinder will never be peppy out of the factory. I will NEVER have one again after trying to merge onto 35 in Moore.

Ride around in yermom's 4-cylinder and you'll change your mind.

mrowl
3/18/2006, 12:05 PM
Ride around in yermom's 4-cylinder and you'll change your mind.

if aftermarket stuff added, then yes, much faster.

handcrafted
3/18/2006, 12:13 PM
Don't buy a new car. Terrible investment.

Find a good reliable used car with maybe 20k to 40k miles on it and pay cash for it.

Hatfield
3/18/2006, 12:33 PM
i drive a saturn l200 and haven't had any problems with it. Can drive to dallas and back on 1 tank of gas...which is a huge plus

Frozen Sooner
3/18/2006, 12:33 PM

Not a bit of aftermarket stuff added.

Well, I don't know that for sure on HIS ride. But yermom's 4-cylinder pushed near 300 hp right off the showroom floor.

jk the sooner fan
3/18/2006, 12:36 PM
jkm - i'd love to see a link to the consumer report you're talking about

i've been looking for a new car as well....dont know that i want a 2d car payment right now, and not sure that i want "new"........used may well be the way to go

just cant decide what it is that i want, so i keep looking

RacerX
3/18/2006, 12:37 PM
jkm - Norm hates consumer reports. I gave him access to my online subscription.

Norm In Norman
3/18/2006, 12:40 PM
If I could get a hell of a deal on a used car then I'd do that. I want something with a factory warranty though. The Hyundai has a 5 year factory warranty on it. With a used car, I'd have to save enough to add a warranty to it and still come out better.

Or maybe I'll get a big SUV someone is dumping for really cheap and use the extra money to pay for gas.

And ... cash? HA! Having cash would take future planning, and planning is for losers.

Norm In Norman
3/18/2006, 12:41 PM
jkm - Norm hates consumer reports. I gave him access to my online subscription.
I don't really hate it, it's just every time I look for a review it's of something that is 3 years old.

RacerX
3/18/2006, 12:42 PM
planning is for losers.

Word.

Howzit
3/18/2006, 12:44 PM
Is there a Carmax in OKC? Some people don't care for Carmax, but I have had good experiences with them. Their online site lets you search by make/year, maybe it would at least give you some pricing to compare other used cars against.

You would be surprised at the number of people that trade in cars with only a year or two and low mileage.

TopDaugIn2000
3/18/2006, 12:45 PM
once again, I'm dying for an '07 camry, have a great '06 right now. only 8K mikes on it, and it has the extended 7 yr 90K warranty

doesn't have many extras though, just the standard stuff (4 cyl, cd, pwr wind & locks, keyless, pwr driver's seat, etc). Added to it is side/curtain air bags, alloy wheels, and an iPod hookup.

Norm In Norman
3/18/2006, 12:46 PM
once again, I'm dying for an '07 camry, have a great '06 right now. only 8K mikes on it, and it has the extended 7 yr 90K warranty

doesn't have many extras though, just the standard stuff (4 cyl, cd, pwr wind & locks, keyless, pwr driver's seat, etc). Added to it is side/curtain air bags, alloy wheels, and an iPod hookup.
I'll give you 8000 for it.

Norm In Norman
3/18/2006, 12:47 PM
You would be surprised at the number of people that trade in cars with only a year or two and low mileage.
That sort of scares me. Did they trade it in because it sucks, or did they trade it in because they are always trading crap in?

TopDaugIn2000
3/18/2006, 12:48 PM
and if you wanna go look at any toyotas let me know. I have a good friend at Fowler. He's in the used part, but he can sell new ones too. Great guy, will take good care of ya.

I was looking at used ones after my wreck, but the 03-05's had more miles than my crashed '02 and were only about 3-4K less in price than a certified NEW one. My decision was easy then. They have such a high resale value that used ones aren't much less than new.

TopDaugIn2000
3/18/2006, 12:49 PM
I'll give you 8000 for it.

HA! DREAM. ON.

Howzit
3/18/2006, 12:49 PM
That sort of scares me. Did they trade it in because it sucks, or did they trade it in because they are always trading crap in?

I hear you, and you don't know for sure, but that's true of any used car. Carmax, I think, does a pretty good job of going over the cars it sells, and if it is new enough it should still be under factory waranty.

TopDaugIn2000
3/18/2006, 12:50 PM

my grandpa gets a new one just before the warranty goes out (might be 3 or 4 years, depending on the vehicle). He just sold his 2001 ford ranger pickup that had less than 8K miles on it. His brother in law bought it and LOVES it. People that end up with his are just lucky.

I'd only buy used if I knew the person I was buying from and knew it had been taken care of.

But, I know that Toyota and Honda have "certified" used ones, they will give you the history of the car, maintenance records, etc. If you can't get that on one, I'd stay away from it.

Norm In Norman
3/18/2006, 12:50 PM
Maybe I should get an 05 mustang GT? I hear it's pretty good for hauling around kids. The wife could drive my pickup. I wonder if I can fit in the drivers seat...

Norm In Norman
3/18/2006, 12:53 PM
I hear you, and you don't know for sure, but that's true of any used car. Carmax, I think, does a pretty good job of going over the cars it sells, and if it is new enough it should still be under factory waranty.
Looking at it, the closest one is in Ft worth. Of course if I could get an awesome deal on one then that would be OK. It would have to be an awesome deal.

Norm In Norman
3/18/2006, 12:54 PM
HA! DREAM. ON.
OK, how much? 8500? Is it orange? I won't buy orange.

Scott D
3/18/2006, 01:37 PM

you'd be surprized how many people up here live off of leasing cars.

TopDaugIn2000
3/18/2006, 02:01 PM
OK, how much? 8500? Is it orange? I won't buy orange.

Still dreaming huh?

It's bright white with tan interior

Cam
3/18/2006, 02:06 PM
My rental car last week was a Sonata. I was pretty darned surprised at how well it handled. I'd consider one if I didn't love my Passat.

jk the sooner fan
3/18/2006, 02:14 PM
i rented the nissan maxima 3.5 when i was in georgia a few weeks ago, LOVED that car

Stoop Dawg
3/18/2006, 03:38 PM
A state worker that makes enough money to buy a new car? What is this world coming to? Is nothing sacred anymore?

My wife as a Camry and loves it.

And - it's the perfect get-a-way car. Imagine the police bulletin: "I've got a APB out for a silver Toyota Camry". They'd have to stop half the cars on the road.

BeetDigger
3/18/2006, 04:01 PM
Norm - the Sonata's are getting great reviews and seem to be terrific values. I don't know how the resale will be on them. If you buy one, it might be wise to plan on driving it into the ground. I think that if I were in your shoes, I would look at the cheapest new Maxima that I could buy or a low milage used one. The accords and camry's are great cars, but what I don't like about them is that they change them like clockwork every four years. Therefore, you buy a new one and in about three years it looks dated. Maxima's seem to change less frequently and they have bigger motors and they look good.

pb4ou
3/18/2006, 04:10 PM
Norm, real men drive pickups. :P

Jimminy Crimson
3/18/2006, 04:38 PM
Is there a Carmax in OKC? Some people don't care for Carmax, but I have had good experiences with them. Their online site lets you search by make/year, maybe it would at least give you some pricing to compare other used cars against.

Opening @ Broadway Ext. & Memorial Rd. shortly. I'd say within 1-2 months.

Over.

Howzit
3/18/2006, 04:40 PM
Norm - the Sonata's are getting great reviews and seem to be terrific values. I don't know how the resale will be on them. If you buy one, it might be wise to plan on driving it into the ground. I think that if I were in your shoes, I would look at the cheapest new Maxima that I could buy or a low milage used one. The accords and camry's are great cars, but what I don't like about them is that they change them like clockwork every four years. Therefore, you buy a new one and in about three years it looks dated. Maxima's seem to change less frequently and they have bigger motors and they look good.
In the last couple of years the Maxima has been upgraded to compete with the Acura TL and lower end Lexus, hence they ain't cheap anymore. The bottom end Maxima runs high 20's and you can get up into the 30's without even trying. They are nice cars, but I'm not sure they rate with the TL or Lexus.

The Altima has also been upgraded with the intent of filling the niche that the upgraded Maxima was upgraded from. I have rented Altimas, and while ok, was not impressed with the interior/options. They seemed kind of cheap and did not strike me as being durable.

GottaHavePride
3/18/2006, 05:02 PM
Norm, look at a 2-3 year old Impala. The bottom-line brand new ones are running about 20 grand.

Stoop Dawg
3/18/2006, 08:08 PM
The Altima has also been upgraded with the intent of filling the niche that the upgraded Maxima was upgraded from. I have rented Altimas, and while ok, was not impressed with the interior/options. They seemed kind of cheap and did not strike me as being durable.

But if your father-in-law wanted to give you one, would you take it?

These are the questions that plague the SO.

AMSooner
3/18/2006, 08:57 PM
Norm, I bought a brand-new 2006 Camry last May for $17,200. I looked at used ones first and the one they wanted to sell me was going to be $15K with 30K miles on it. It was a no-brainer to go with the new one since I got such a good deal. It's a basic model and doesn't have anything fancy on it and I love it so far. It's a 4 cylinder, but seems to have plenty of power. I've had two Accords and so far I like the Camry better.

yermom
3/18/2006, 09:01 PM

yeah, like Froz said, it's just like it came from the factory

turbo'ed 4-cylinder's shouldn't really count though :D

i drove an Impala in LA for the UCLA game, it wasn't bad, i actually kinda enjoyed the size of it

i'd love to find a V6 that got 30+ MPG, my buddy says his Malibu gets up to like 38, that is kinda tempting

GottaHavePride
3/18/2006, 09:16 PM
i'd love to find a V6 that got 30+ MPG, my buddy says his Malibu gets up to like 38, that is kinda tempting
VW Passat.

TopDaugIn2000
3/18/2006, 09:17 PM
and the 07 V6 camry gets 31 on the hwy. only 3 less than the 4 cyl.

Cam
3/18/2006, 09:20 PM
VW Passat.
Mine gets 27-29 in town.

yermom
3/18/2006, 09:30 PM
VW Passat.

i've kinda soured on VW, maybe if there was a dealer in Norman

Cable hasn't exactly lived up to expectations, the building is cool though

GottaHavePride
3/18/2006, 09:33 PM
Mine gets 27-29 in town.

Ah, they keep advertising the new Passat as having great mileage; maybe they mean the 4-cylinder version.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/18/2006, 09:33 PM
Maybe I should get an 05 mustang GT? I hear it's pretty good for hauling around kids. The wife could drive my pickup. I wonder if I can fit in the drivers seat...

if you are going to get a mustang, get an 04 cobra or an 06 gt 500. limited production cars actually keep their value pretty well.

if you get a hyundai, prepare yourself to drive it until it dies as the thing won't be worth anything in 5 years

jk, i'll scan it tonight if i don't forget.

yermom
3/18/2006, 09:35 PM
Ah, they keep advertising the new Passat as having great mileage; maybe they mean the 4-cylinder version.

or the TDI

Zbird
3/18/2006, 10:15 PM
I have a 4 cyl Honda Accord LX bought @ 30K miles - Now has 123K - Only in shop oil changes every 3K, for Tires at 75K, and brakes at 90K -- Still gets 30+ mpg on road. It was bought for a family car and now is my work roadie. I fully expect it to go another 150K to 175K before I even consider replacing it

Cam
3/18/2006, 10:17 PM
Mine is a 2002 w/41K miles.

Stoop Dawg
3/18/2006, 10:24 PM
But if your father-in-law wanted to give you [an Altima], would you take it?

These are the questions that plague the SO.

Hello??? Is this thing on???

Noobs.

Mongo
3/18/2006, 10:30 PM
Depends what your father-n-law expects from you. With my inlaws, I have to question is it a gift, or is it leverage. With me, I think its the latter.

GottaHavePride
3/18/2006, 10:46 PM

Noobs.

New? Good condition? Yeah, I'd take it. I'd offer him a reasonable amount for it, though. Then he's free to refuse.

Jimminy Crimson
3/18/2006, 10:54 PM

Noobs.

Attn2Detal spek!

:D

BeetDigger
3/19/2006, 08:11 PM
In the last couple of years the Maxima has been upgraded to compete with the Acura TL and lower end Lexus, hence they ain't cheap anymore. The bottom end Maxima runs high 20's and you can get up into the 30's without even trying. They are nice cars, but I'm not sure they rate with the TL or Lexus.

I didn't realize that the Maxima's had gone so far up market. I haven't shopped for cars in a while. I have heard good things about the Altima, but I have never driven one so you are speaking from first hand knowlege.

Norm In Norman
3/21/2006, 08:56 PM
Step 1 is done. We drove an Accord tonight. I was planning on driving all 3 or 4 of my choices tonight, but we ran out of time after one. i guess we'll drive the camry tomorrow and maybe the altima on thursday. Possibly the sonata on friday. Boy, I really liked that accord.

The specific one we drove was 100% made in japan. Do you think that makes a difference? My theory is the quality control in japan is probably better than here in the US.

Harry Beanbag
3/21/2006, 09:03 PM
As far as cars go, I love the Accord that I bought last year. It fit my tastes and preferences better than the Camry. It was sportier and I didn't feel like a grandpa when driving it like I did the Camry.

I didn't look at Altimas, mainly because I heard that their 4 cylinders sucked. Since my main goal, and only reason really, of buying a car was to save money on my new long commute, V-6's were out of the picture.

I did drive a Sonata just on a whim. I wasn't really seriously considering it due to the old keeping it's value question, but I stopped by anyway. It looked nice and appeared to be pretty well built, but I hated the way it drove. The steering was very loose, and it hesitated when I jammed my foot on the accelerator. Those two things would have kept me from buying it if I was interested.

JohnnyMack
3/21/2006, 09:03 PM
I drove the new V6 Accord a couple of weekends ago. Pretty amazing set of options on that car for the money. Crash test ratings are great. CR loves it.

I'm a big Honda pimp.

IB4OU2
3/21/2006, 09:05 PM
Step 1 is done. We drove an Accord tonight. I was planning on driving all 3 or 4 of my choices tonight, but we ran out of time after one. i guess we'll drive the camry tomorrow and maybe the altima on thursday. Possibly the sonata on friday. Boy, I really liked that accord.

The specific one we drove was 100% made in japan. Do you think that makes a difference? My theory is the quality control in japan is probably better than here in the US.

Can't beat a Honda, my wife has one. They don't deflect deer that well though......

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/21/2006, 09:07 PM
2006 accord - recommended
reliability = great
satisfaction = great
depreciation = good

sonata -> no data as its new, looks like its average for used cars

altima -> recommended
reliability -> average
satisfaction -> average
depreciation -> above average

any other vehiculars?

Harry Beanbag
3/21/2006, 09:08 PM
Can't beat a Honda, my wife has one. They don't deflect deer that well though......

Or tire retreads. I found that out the day after I put my new license plate on it. :mad: :mad: :mad:

But I didn't cross the median and crash into a semi-truck like a Camry would have though. ;)

mrowl
3/21/2006, 09:08 PM
the inside of the camry seems a lot bigger than the accord though.

TopDaugIn2000
3/21/2006, 09:15 PM
Or tire retreads. I found that out the day after I put my new license plate on it. :mad: :mad: :mad:

But I didn't cross the median and crash into a semi-truck like a Camry would have though. ;)

:mad: :mad: :mad:

The fact that I walked away and lived to tell about it is the reason I'll drive a Camry from here on out. I have nothing against accords, but I now put all faith in the Camry after what I went thru.

Norm, if you go to Fowler ask for Ed (he's over in the used car section but can help you with anything). Tell him Lori "crash" sent you. He'll take GREAT care of you.

Norm In Norman
3/21/2006, 09:17 PM
2006 accord - recommended
reliability = great
satisfaction = great
depreciation = good

sonata -> no data as its new, looks like its average for used cars

altima -> recommended
reliability -> average
satisfaction -> average
depreciation -> above average

any other vehiculars?
Yeah, i stole someone's account and looked at that stuff today. I swear, some of their reviews are way too old to be paying for.

TopDaugIn2000
3/21/2006, 09:21 PM
the 07 camry has a Driver's Knee airbag. boy THAT would have been nice.

They also come with standard side/curtain airbags, something I didn't have on my '02 and had to pay $650 extra for on my '06.

Norm In Norman
3/21/2006, 09:21 PM
The only thing about the accord is the steering wheel doesn't come up as much as I'm used to and the seat didn't go as far back as I'm used to. It wasn't really uncomfortable or anything, but it just felt different. According to the stats, the camry is slightly smaller.

That 4 cylinder felt pretty peppy though. Being able to crack the windows with the keyless entry is sorta neat.

Norm In Norman
3/21/2006, 09:23 PM
the 07 camry has a Driver's Knee airbag. boy THAT would have been nice.

They also come with standard side/curtain airbags, something I didn't have on my '02 and had to pay $650 extra for on my '06.
Speaking of safety, the side curtain airbags on the camry are optional but standard on the accord. The camry is a little cheaper though. I think CS said the side impact rating is bad without the side curtain airbags.

TopDaugIn2000
3/21/2006, 09:27 PM
Speaking of safety, the side curtain airbags on the camry are optional but standard on the accord. The camry is a little cheaper though. I think CS said the side impact rating is bad without the side curtain airbags.

yes, CS says they are bad for side impact crashes w/o the airbags, but mine seemed to do pretty damn well if you ask me (if you remember, the front and driver's side is where I hit the semi). It's an option in the 05 & 06 models, costs an extra $650 for 6 additional airbags - never gave paying that much more a 2nd thought after the wreck. Comes standard on the 07 models now though.

TopDaugIn2000
3/21/2006, 09:29 PM
once again, WALKED AWAY. Only had the 2 standard airbags on this one.

http://img486.imageshack.us/img486/5745/im0018321rm.jpg

Norm In Norman
3/21/2006, 09:34 PM
I'm not dogging the camry. I'm just putting that info out there. I think the camry will end up being cheaper even if I add that (if I can).

TopDaugIn2000
3/21/2006, 09:36 PM
oh I know you aren't. I've read the same CS report about side impact ratings. From personal experience though, I think it held up great.

when I bought the '02 I went with the best deal b/t the camry and accord. Either is a good choice IMO.

are you looking at new or used?

Norm In Norman
3/21/2006, 09:37 PM
new.

TopDaugIn2000
3/21/2006, 09:38 PM
since the '07s are just coming out, they are probably starting to really discount the '06 to make room. You might be able to get a great deal for that reason. If not now, then really soon.

I've still got that GENTLY used one though ;)

yermom
3/21/2006, 09:50 PM
oh I know you aren't. I've read the same CS report about side impact ratings. From personal experience though, I think it held up great.

when I bought the '02 I went with the best deal b/t the camry and accord. Either is a good choice IMO.

are you looking at new or used?

take it to Sooner Swap!

JohnnyMack
3/21/2006, 10:18 PM
http://automobiles.honda.com/images/banners/2006/accord_sedan/interior_gallery/large1.jpg

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/21/2006, 11:44 PM

looks like your tread is a little worn

GottaHavePride
3/22/2006, 01:15 AM

Crap, I can't decide if I should make the "heh - I BET you had two "airbags" in the car" post or the "TEHRE'S A TIRE In YOOUR'E FRONT SAET!" post.

soonerbrat
3/22/2006, 01:21 AM
i gotta say..i LOVE my Mazda 3. it really does zoom zoom

i had a 2000 protege with 123K miles and still going strong when it was totaled last september. new tires, brakes, oil changes were the only reasons it was ever in the shop.

stonecoldsoonerfan
3/22/2006, 07:27 AM
DON'T get a hyundai. my bro. in law had one. long story short, he eventually traded it back in for another car. had NOTHING but problems with it. was CONSTANTLY taking it back for repairs and he bought it brand new.

honda, toyota, and nissan are the way to go, imo.

TopDaugIn2000
3/22/2006, 09:55 AM
looks like your tread is a little worn

thanks.

and those were NEW TIRES! :mad:

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/22/2006, 10:02 AM

Shouldn't make that much difference. The QA/QC methods are the same - only the people building the cars are different. They're very strict about stuff like this. Design, testing, FMEAs, DOEs, reliability testing etc. are all the same and applied across all factories.

I love my Camry. Just turned to odometer to 195K this morning...I'm gonna drive it until it falls apart. :eddie:

TopDaugIn2000
3/22/2006, 10:06 AM
Shouldn't make that much difference. The QA/QC methods are the same - only the people building the cars are different.

Sony, cause American's are just too damn tall.

(spek to the one that gets it)

NormanPride
3/22/2006, 10:22 AM
I drive an Altima, and I love it. I was torn between the Altima and the Accord, and chose the Altima for its handling and acceleration. The Accord was good, but getting on the Highway it felt like the power drained out of it at about 40mph. The Altima I have doesn't have that problem.

Also, the drive was a lot smoother in the Altima (again, my opinion). And I was driving it in a rougher area...

Personally, I'm a Nissan guy anyways. My family has driven them for years, and we've always had good results. Maximas are the win.

Hamhock
3/22/2006, 10:23 AM
Don't buy a new car. Terrible investment.

Find a good reliable used car with maybe 20k to 40k miles on it and pay cash for it.

Handcrafted is really Dave Ramsey.

Norm In Norman
3/22/2006, 02:35 PM
I think I'm in love:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/498000-498999/498913_173_full.jpg

Hamhock
3/22/2006, 02:35 PM
Sony, cause American's are just too damn tall.

(spek to the one that gets it)

Volvo, Boxy but good?

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/22/2006, 02:40 PM
I think I'm in love:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/498000-498999/498913_173_full.jpg

'Stunta In Norman'?

RacerX
3/22/2006, 02:48 PM
That 4 cylinder felt pretty peppy though. Being able to crack the windows with the keyless entry is sorta neat.

Norm will do that, by accident, in a downpour.

Book it!

BeetDigger
3/22/2006, 02:55 PM
The only thing about the accord is the steering wheel doesn't come up as much as I'm used to and the seat didn't go as far back as I'm used to. It wasn't really uncomfortable or anything, but it just felt different. According to the stats, the camry is slightly smaller.

My wife had a civic when we go married. What I determined with that car is that Honda, despite their engineering genius, cannot get the pedal-seat-steering wheel relationship correct for guys. If you are good with the seat and pedals, the wheel is too far away. If the seat is set to where you are comfortable with the wheel, the pedals are too close. I got into a Honda accord a few months back and it was the same deal. But now, it is worse as I am used to my BMW, which fits like a glove.

Norm In Norman
3/22/2006, 02:56 PM
It takes a special person to drive a car with 22" wheels.

And I wouldn't be surprised if my wife forgets and leaves them open.

Norm In Norman
3/22/2006, 02:58 PM
My wife had a civic when we go married. What I determined with that car is that Honda, despite their engineering genius, cannot get the pedal-seat-steering wheel relationship correct for guys. If you are good with the seat and pedals, the wheel is too far away. If the seat is set to where you are comfortable with the wheel, the pedals are too close. I got into a Honda accord a few months back and it was the same deal. But now, it is worse as I am used to my BMW, which fits like a glove.
The funny thing is the wheel tilts AND telescopes. If it ends up being a tossup between the two, the one that is most comfortable for me to drive is going to win.

Norm In Norman
3/23/2006, 12:16 AM
Oh man - we went to fowler toyota tonight. I've got a slightly humorous story, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Jimminy Crimson
3/23/2006, 12:23 AM
Oh man - we went to fowler toyota tonight. I've got a slightly humorous story, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Does it involve Chad Stevens? :mack:

Norm In Norman
3/23/2006, 08:49 AM
Nope.

Fowler Toyota and Fowler Honda have different environments I guess. The toyota place was more high pressure an the honda place was laid back. I figured they would be the same.

I started both places the same way - I told them I was looking at cars on the internet and i just wanted to test drive the cars now and make my decision later. The Honda guy went through and showed us every dern feature about the car. Even the little things. The Toyota guy didn't want to talk and I had to keep asking him questions. It was really getting on my nerves. The Camry has the LE and the Accord has the LX. I don't know if I was messing with him subconciously or not, but I kept calling the Camry the LX the whole time. In fact, to fill in the empty silence I kept telling him a lot about the accord and what the camry felt like compared to it.

So we get back and with impeccable timing my son had to go to the restroom. We're talking #2 here (come to find out). So I have to sit there and talk to the salesman. He started out asking me if I had a trade in, and then of course he tried to give me a sense that I would get nothing for my trade in so he could screw me. i finally told him I wasn't interested in talking about that right now and we somehow got on the subject of mustangs. i told him I used to drive a 67 mustang and guess what? HE bought his daughter a 67 mustang! Yeah right. I told him my dad and I used to fix the thing up and guess what? HE bought the thing so he could fix it up. Well, after asking him a few questions it was obvious he didn't know **** about old mustangs.

So FINALLY after 10 or 15 minutes of this brutality, my wife and son show back up and we get up to go. He nervously says "If you don't mind, before you go let me talk to my manager. i don't want him to think I've run you off." So after two minutes I send the wife and kid to the pickup and I stood by the front door waiting, just to be polite. A few minutes later (as I was reaching for the door handle) the manager comes out and asks me what the salesman did to scare me off. I said nothing, but i wasn't buying tonight and I had to go. He asked what else I had driven and what I was going to drive, I told him and he says "Well, let me warn you about these big rebates that are going on. Companies will try to fool you into one of their cars with a big rebate, but it's just to cover up the poor quality of the vehicle." So I blurt out "So you mean like the 1500 rebate you guys are giving on the camry?" "Um, well, um ... you were looking at an 06 Camry? Well, um, I mean like the other competitors..." And I tell him if I decide to get a Camry I would let them know and I leave.

Anyway, the driving experience was prety bad, but making the sales manager speechless for a couple of minutes was worth the price of admission. I told you this story was only slightly amusing.

Harry Beanbag
3/23/2006, 08:53 AM
I loathe car salesmen.

Norm In Norman
3/24/2006, 09:17 AM
So ... I think we're going to get the Altima. We drove one last night and not only was I more comfortable driving it, but it has more horsepower and more options and it was a bit cheaper. And honestly, we liked the looks of it a bit better. Maybe not as much on the exterior VS the Accord, but definitely on the interior. I'll be giving up a little gas mileage for some horsepower, but I'm OK with that. I feel that it is high quality and will last as long as the other japanese cars.

So the Dark Horse may have won. We'll see what price we can get before it's all over.

Harry Beanbag
3/24/2006, 09:34 AM
So ... I think we're going to get the Altima. We drove one last night and not only was I more comfortable driving it, but it has more horsepower and more options and it was a bit cheaper. And honestly, we liked the looks of it a bit better. Maybe not as much on the exterior VS the Accord, but definitely on the interior. I'll be giving up a little gas mileage for some horsepower, but I'm OK with that. I feel that it is high quality and will last as long as the other japanese cars.

So the Dark Horse may have won. We'll see what price we can get before it's all over.

Here are some quotes for the Oklahoma City area from carsdirect.com:

4 cyl S model
http://www.carsdirect.com/build/options?zipcode=73135&acode=USB60NIC041B0&restore=false

4 cyl SL model
http://www.carsdirect.com/build/options?zipcode=73135&acode=USB60NIC041Z1&restore=false

V6 SE model
http://www.carsdirect.com/build/options?zipcode=73135&acode=USB60NIC041C0&restore=false

V6 SL model
http://www.carsdirect.com/build/options?zipcode=73135&acode=USB60NIC041D0&restore=false

Mjcpr
3/24/2006, 10:08 AM
I could've sworn I said somewhere that I liked the look of the Altima but I don't see it anywhere. :confused:

Anyway....I'm sure it's a fine choice. There's nothing funner than getting a new car!

BeetDigger
3/24/2006, 10:09 AM

Nissan has resurrected itself over the past 5-6 years. The new CEO, the first non-Japanese CEO to run a Japanese car company, has really turned that company around. The Altima is a big part of the turnaround. Most people like it just for the reasons that you are stating. And the cars fit male American drivers, unlike the stupid Honda's.

My asshat neighbor, by coincidence, is the GM for Fowler Toyota, but not in OK. He is here in Dallas. They are not always the smartest people. I am not surprised that you could catch the manger talking down about rebates only to realize that his car has a rebate.

C&CDean
3/24/2006, 10:15 AM
I could've sworn I said somewhere that I liked the look of the Altima but I don't see it anywhere. :confused:

Anyway....I'm sure it's a fine choice. There's nothing funner than getting a new car!

If getting a new ride is as good as it gets, it would suck to be you.

Mjcpr
3/24/2006, 10:22 AM
If getting a new ride is as good as it gets, it would suck to be you.

Getting a new boat is 2nd.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/24/2006, 10:43 AM
norm, one thing about nissan is the maintenance costs. make sure that you can all the parts at your local oil change station and that they aren't dealer only items.

it looks like they've changed their tune with regards to upgrades though. used to, you had to buy the car sans everything and bolton everything from nothing. the base model would cost you about 16k but by the time you added on AC, PS, PB, a radio, etc it would be over 30k.

sooneron
3/24/2006, 10:52 AM
My Mom got an Altima back in 03, I think and loves it. No problems that I have been told of. She has the badazz 3.5 SL or whatever the hot rod is with the 5 sp man. transmission. She had a good experience with the people in Norman at the lot... for the most part.

Norm In Norman
3/24/2006, 11:34 AM
@ nancyboy - Actually driving back from the dealership will be fun. The idea of me spending a lot of money isn't fun. And I worry myself to death with research.

@ beet - I actially liked the accord's seat better, but I felt I could see the dashboard better in the altima. Also, I keep seeing their xterra as one of the recommended smaller SUVs. They really are turning it around.

@ jkm - what kind of parts? Right now they have a "Special Edition" package that gives you two $1650 packages for only $450 more. The salesman said they are doing that to compete with the hondas and toyotas.

sooneron
3/24/2006, 11:37 AM
Yeah, my Mom's car was loaded with the sports susp and 6 cd changer, power everything and under 28K

yermom
3/24/2006, 11:45 AM
Norm, i think he's talking about the filters, etc... that need to be replaced on a regular basis

which model you looking at? did i miss where you were talking 4 cylinder or V6?

that 3.5L has some punch... same basic engine as the G35 and Z

#1 SOONER FAN
3/24/2006, 11:58 AM
I'd put my money on another Accord, that's what I've got, best car on the road.

Norm In Norman
3/24/2006, 12:01 PM
Norm, i think he's talking about the filters, etc... that need to be replaced on a regular basis

which model you looking at? did i miss where you were talking 4 cylinder or V6?

that 3.5L has some punch... same basic engine as the G35 and Z
I'm going to get a 2.5S. It's plenty powerful and gets better gas mileage AND IT'S CHEAPER.

i guess i need to check out the filters and stuff.

sooneron
3/24/2006, 12:02 PM
I've never had trouble getting filters and stuff for my Frontier at other places.

TopDaugIn2000
4/7/2006, 09:15 PM
well Norm, what did you get??????