PDA

View Full Version : I'm reading the book Jarhead, because I liked the movie, the guy who wrote it is full

usmc-sooner
3/18/2006, 11:17 AM
of shiite.

He seems like what we called ****bird. He absolutely hated the the Corps. He says everyone who joins hates the Marine Corps.

He tried by his admission to get thrown out of the Corps several times. He is one of those whiney babies who turned his DI in to the CO.

He also has several out and out BS stuff that just doesn't happen. He relies a lot on those old (urban legend) stories you hear in the military and passes it off as fact.

He never accepts any responsability for anything that happens to him. It's always someone else's fault.

He spends a lot of time in the front of the book talking about how many women he's had sex with and how good looking he thinks he is. He brags about sleeping with a Japanese girl he picked up in Oki, not that hard of a thing to do.

He refuses to capitalize to Marine, yet he tries to prove how Marine Corps hard he is.

I still have half the book to go so I'll let you guys know how it is.

One last thing he talks about he as LCpl would talk back and disobey orders from Sgt's, SSgts, and Col's. All I can say is it doesn't work that way.

oumartin
3/18/2006, 11:21 AM
and what do you know? ;)

Frozen Sooner
3/18/2006, 11:23 AM
You liked the movie? I've been thinking about renting it. Interesting that it's a good movie with such bad source material.

afs
3/18/2006, 11:29 AM
i'm watching it at the moment. interesting about like the book. don't really know what to take for real and exagerrated.

picasso
3/18/2006, 11:35 AM
he ain't no Marine. my Dad is 76 years old and still spits Marine blood.

usmc-sooner
3/18/2006, 11:36 AM
You liked the movie? I've been thinking about renting it. Interesting that it's a good movie with such bad source material.

it's not a bad book, just a lot of exaggerations and BS. It seems like he wrote it to "get back" at the Marine Corps.

usmc-sooner
3/18/2006, 11:37 AM

amen

Hatfield
3/18/2006, 11:37 AM
why do you hate america?

haven't read the book, but have heard many of the same criticisms you lay out.

thought the movie was well done...hard to do a movie about nothing happening..and so i could see how many wouldn't like it.

really thought the night fires in the oil fields were visually stunning.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/18/2006, 11:43 AM

mine is 58 and had enough helicopter blade in him to fly to guam

picasso
3/18/2006, 11:50 AM
mine is 58 and had enough helicopter blade in him to fly to guam
God blees him. My father got a pice of a mortar round in the back of his leg in Korea.

SoonerWood
3/18/2006, 02:22 PM
I've got enough radiation from my service in the USAF to glow in the dark.

GDC
3/18/2006, 04:14 PM
My b-i-l served in the first gulf war and said Jarhead was the worst war movie he has ever seen.

Mongo
3/18/2006, 04:22 PM
What got me not to like the movie was his resentment and anger for the Marines when it was his damn choice to go there in the first place.

usmc-sooner
3/18/2006, 04:39 PM
What got me not to like the movie was his resentment and anger for the Marines when it was his damn choice to go there in the first place.

yeah reading this book I was like man he doesn't even deserve the title of Marine.

According to him, he did everything in his power to get thrown out. He would take laxatives everyday to appear to be sick and dehydrated. But talks about how he manned up to do his job. I'm thinking how is faking ill and staying in a hospital while the other Marines are out there busting their assess manning up? The dude was a ****bird weasel.

GDC
3/18/2006, 04:41 PM
My b-i-l said no ground troops were anywhere near the "highway of death", at least for a long time after it happened.

usmc-sooner
3/18/2006, 04:46 PM
My b-i-l said no ground troops were anywhere near the "highway of death", at least for a long time after it happened.

there's a lot of stuff he's making up. He knows it because he tries to cover himself in the front of the book, by saying there is a lot of stuff he has forgotten so he has to rely on outside sources to tell him, where he was when he went and what he did.

I read that and I'm like WTF?

he is now a college proffessor.

KABOOKIE
3/18/2006, 04:52 PM
He never accepts any responsability for anything that happens to him. It's always someone else's fault.

He spends a lot of time in the front of the book talking about how many women he's had sex with and how good looking he thinks he is. He brags about sleeping with a Japanese girl he picked up in Oki, not that hard of a thing to do.

LosAngelesSooner was a Marine? Who knew? ;)

Sounds like a ****bird to me!

DeadSolidPerfect
3/18/2006, 07:38 PM
he ain't no Marine. my Dad is 76 years old and still spits Marine blood.My Dad is 70, still puts a crease in all his "covers". Wears it way down over his eyes, with a scowl on his face. Hates Sailors.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/18/2006, 10:23 PM
God blees him. My father got a pice of a mortar round in the back of his leg in Korea.

mine got shot out of 3 different helicopters. absolutely hates being around them. i'll get him to scan some pics for me and i'll put some up.

Sooner in Tampa
3/20/2006, 07:05 AM
it's not a bad book, just a lot of exaggerations and BS. It seems like he wrote it to "get back" at the Marine Corps.I just think that the dude knew what he was doing...he wrote a POS book that is sensationalized to sell copies...it is overblown so that they could make a movie.

I saw the movie ONCE...I will never watch that ****ty arse movie ever again. Some of the stuff in that movie just DID NOT happen...but oh well, most of us know the real deal.

And God Bless all of my Marine Brothers and Sisters...past, present, and future...SEMPER FI

TheHumanAlphabet
3/20/2006, 07:11 AM
Just saw Jarhead on the flight to Tokyo. It did seem rather stupid. Too much time spent about waiting to do something... Hello, that's the miltary. My father will never stand in line for anything...says he spent too much time waiting in lines in England during WWII. As a kid, I cried many a time when we couldn't see a movie because the line was long. You know what, he was right, I don't stand in lines either.

Seems after USMC's review, the guy either wanted to shoot up a lot of stuff and was ****ed because the war passed him by or he's ****ed because he had to do what others told him to do and he didn't like it...

Tear Down This Wall
3/20/2006, 09:15 AM
I haven't seen the movie or read the book because it seemed stupid. During the first Gulf War, the Air Force and Navy pounded the shi-ite out of Iraq from the air and sea until Saddam's "Elite" Guard (laugher) was decimated. Where's the f'n drama in that?

By the way, one of my best friends from high school is a Marine. Less than two years away from retirement, too. He tried to talk me into going in with him. I should have done it. But, in the spring of 1987, it just didn't look like much was going to be happening with Communism collapsing and all.

Sooner in Tampa
3/20/2006, 09:47 AM
By the way, one of my best friends from high school is a Marine. Less than two years away from retirement, too. He tried to talk me into going in with him. I should have done it. But, in the spring of 1987, it just didn't look like much was going to be happening with Communism collapsing and all.TDTW...Congrats to your buddy.

The retirement check ain't much, but damn it is nice to have little something to pay the mortgage.