PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys About To Sign Biggest Cancer In Sports

SoonerMooner
3/18/2006, 07:38 AM
What next? Osama Bin Laden to coach the Cowboy's secondary?

Sources: Cowboys, Owens have deal in principle

06:23 AM CST on Saturday, March 18, 2006
By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – The Cowboys have reached an agreement in principle with star wide receiver Terrell Owens, two sources said Friday night.

The sources said a formal announcement regarding the free-agent receiver is expected in the next few days. The sources also said Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and coach Bill Parcells are scheduled to return to Dallas today.

Jones and club spokesman Rich Dalrymple could not be reached for comment. Owens' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, could not be reached for comment.

Owens, 32, spent the last two seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles and scored 20 touchdowns in 21 games. But the Eagles deactivated the 32-year-old receiver for the final nine games of last season for conduct detrimental to the team. He frequently criticized club officials and quarterback Donovan McNabb because he was unhappy with his contract.

Owens would give the Cowboys the type of dynamic receiver they have not had since a neck injury forced Michael Irvin to retire after the 1999 season. Until last season, Owens had caught at least 77 passes for at least 1,100 yards each of the last five seasons. He has played in the Pro Bowl five of the last six seasons.

Dallas hasn't had a Pro Bowl receiver since Irvin in 1995 and has had just one 1,000-yard receiver since 2000.

The addition of Owens should help an offense that struggled to score touchdowns at times last season. Dallas failed to score more than 14 points in six games, losing each of them. With Owens in the lineup drawing double coverage, it should create more one-on-one opportunities for receiver Terry Glenn and tight end Jason Witten.

And with Owens occupying at least one safety, that means one fewer defender in the running game that Julius Jones has to be concerned about, which should make him more productive.

Owens will be playing for his third team in four seasons because he can be toxic within a locker room. He has feuded with his last two quarterbacks – Jeff Garcia and McNabb – and each quarterback had a Pro Bowl on his resume.

Owens has thrown sideline temper tantrums when he doesn't think he's getting the ball enough, and those tantrums have been directed at coaches and teammates. However, there has never been any question about his work ethic or production.

The Cowboys are betting that Parcells can handle Owens and prevent him from becoming a problem in the locker room.

Owens' problems in Philadelphia began when he wanted his seven-year, $49 million contract restructured after he caught 80 passes for 1,200 yards and 14 touchdowns to help Philadelphia reach the Super Bowl in the first year of the deal.

Owens became Public Enemy No. 1 to many Cowboys fans in 2000, when as a member of the San Francisco 49ers, he sprinted to midfield and celebrated a touchdown on the star at Texas Stadium.

In 2004, Owens turned in one of the finest performances by a receiver against the Cowboys, when he caught six passes for 134 yards and touchdowns of 59, 27 and 16 yards in a 49-21 victory on Monday Night Football.

Since71ASooner4Life
3/18/2006, 07:51 AM
Yup, you got that title right - CANCER. And I'm so happy that contract jumping self absorbed coach is stuck with him. It will be great to see the winner of "who's the biggest whiner" contest between Owens and Keyshon

OklaPony
3/18/2006, 08:32 AM
I really, really hope this doesn't happen. I've been a lifelong Cowboy fan, even through the Jimmy Johnson years (although I had to hold my nose to do it) but I'll draw the line if they sign that prick Owens. It boggles the mind how anybody would want that s.o.b. on their team after witnessing the fustercluck he caused at Philly. R.I.P. Dallas and what little cohesion you currently have if this happens.

batonrougesooner
3/18/2006, 10:39 AM
I wonder if they will allow him to stomp on the midfield star.

OklahomaTrombone
3/18/2006, 10:41 AM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25

westcoast_sooner
3/18/2006, 11:10 AM
I saw this and thought it must be a joke, but April Fools Day is still a couple of weeks away. Terrell Owens has the talent to be a great receiver if he can just shut up and play football. But he hasn't shown that he can put team ahead of TO since he was with the 49ers. I'm not sure what Parcells thinks he'll be able to do with him. Jerry still thinks he can bring in anyone, no matter how big a head case, and turn them into a Ring of Honor player. Look at the list of players that have gone through Dallas since Jerry has been the owner.

This move makes no sense for the Cowboys. Since JJ has been there, he has let the players get away with nearly anything (remember Leon Lett, Michael Irvin and others). JJ and the Tuna won't be able to control TO, and he WILL be as big a cancer to the Cowboys as he was to Philly.

I think the Cowboys miss the playoffs again next year, and Parcells will be gone.

tbl
3/18/2006, 01:27 PM
Keyshawn has already been cut, so now there's only one. KJ is NOTHING compared to TO though... As a hardcore Cowboys fan, this one really irks me. The only way I'll accept it is if we get a Superbowl out of it. ;)

TexasLidig8r
3/18/2006, 01:48 PM
Press conference today, Saturday, at 2:30 to announce it.

mrowl
3/18/2006, 01:55 PM
general sports forum folks...

Big Red Ron
3/18/2006, 02:38 PM
general sports forum folks...Yeah, eff the cowboys and TO. They seem to be a perfect match!

BASSooner
3/18/2006, 03:12 PM
Jerry Jones has no clue what he is doing...

TheBigRedMachine
3/18/2006, 04:05 PM
Just think about it like this, if he mouths off or does something stupid, Roy Williams is there to break his leg again. They are trying to scare him straight!

CatfishSooner
3/18/2006, 04:33 PM
aright..

homerSimpsonsBrain
3/18/2006, 04:45 PM
This is GREAT news!!! Of course I'm a Redskins fan.

Flagstaffsooner
3/18/2006, 04:56 PM
Giggle, giggle. TO and JJ:D

OUthunder
3/18/2006, 05:28 PM
I give him ONE year before he starts the destruction of the Cowboys.

SoonerWood
3/18/2006, 05:34 PM
I hope Roy beats the living s**t out of him in the locker room at the first sign of any T.O. polyps.

ucosooner
3/18/2006, 05:54 PM
I hope Roy beats the living s**t out of him in the locker room at the first sign of any T.O. polyps.

Now that would be sweet.

Soonerus
3/18/2006, 05:56 PM
Is T.O. a cancer or a virus ????

SOONER44EVER
3/18/2006, 07:14 PM
Jerry Jones has no clue what he is doing...
I thought the same thing in 89 after the Cowboys went 1-15. After 3 Superbowl wins and a few sure HOFers I'll give Jerry the benefit of the doubt.

SoonerLB
3/18/2006, 07:14 PM
I'm not much of a Dallas fan, but I just saw that they signed the "Prick" T.O., and I absolutely cannot believe it. I've often thought Jerry Jones was the worst owner in the NFL, and now I am quite sure of it! OUthunder gives the Prick one year to ruin the team, I say it will be done before their fourth regular season game, based on past performance. Bad move Cowboys, but not surprising on the part of JJ. Sad day for football in general.

SOONER44EVER
3/18/2006, 07:21 PM
I agree about the TO thing, I hate the guy too, but why does everyone call Jerry Jones the worst owner in pro football. To me, he seems like one of the few who really wants and cares if his team wins.

TheGodfather889
3/18/2006, 07:34 PM
I'm glad Terrell Owens signed with the Cowboys and not the Broncos.I do like TO,I think he is funny and he's such a gifted player. I love to watch him.

East Coast Bias
3/18/2006, 09:15 PM
Why are you guys so down on TO, the man has mad skills, he can bring Dallas out of the depths of mediocrity. I really thought there would be some excitement, maybe its that whole dance on the star thing?? You can't argue his talent and it is a business not a popularity contest...Go easy on me now..

bigdsooner
3/18/2006, 09:19 PM
I agree about the TO thing, I hate the guy too, but why does everyone call Jerry Jones the worst owner in pro football. To me, he seems like one of the few who really wants and cares if his team wins.

bingo
im a 49er fan, and as much as i hate dallas, i respest the hell outta jerry. if im an owner, i try my damndest to sign him. i think hes a punk, but its hard to argue that he's one of the top 2 receiver's in the game

tulsaoilerfan
3/18/2006, 10:13 PM
bingo
im a 49er fan, and as much as i hate dallas, i respest the hell outta jerry. if im an owner, i try my damndest to sign him. i think hes a punk, but its hard to argue that he's one of the top 2 receiver's in the game
But you just have to wonder how long it will be before he alienates half the team; outstanding talent, not a team player by any means.

73Easting
3/18/2006, 10:16 PM
http://www.bpatnaude.com/misc/proof_01.jpg

TO is a Cowboy, from his own mouth to my friend Bruce (his wife in the pic). Shot today in Dallas. Rabbit ears courtesy of TO's brother-in-law.

Mjcpr
3/18/2006, 10:25 PM
I thought Jerry made a great point (I heard it on ESPNews) that the problems TO had were because he believed he was underpaid (yes, bull**** I know but still.....) and that is not the case with the Cowboys.

He could still cause problems for them but I think it's worth a shot. Time will tell.

bigdsooner
3/18/2006, 10:27 PM
But you just have to wonder how long it will be before he alienates half the team; outstanding talent, not a team player by any means.

i know, i witnessed that first hand with san fran:mad: . but if anyone can work with to, its parcells. I HATE DALLAS

TripleOption14
3/19/2006, 12:21 PM
I give him ONE year before he starts the destruction of the Cowboys.

Yep!!! He's gonna shut up and just rip it up on the field for a year. He'll do this just to show everyone why he deserves whatever (in his mind) he demands. The poor Eagles are in some big time trouble when they play him. haha I'm calling it now 12 rec. 180 yds. 3TD's. IMO he had every right to demand a bigger contract but just wait until after 2 years. If he would have just waited one more year and put up the same stats the Eagles would have given him the key to the city. My god, give the team a chance to lock down some other key players and then go after yours.

On the flip side of that coin however.... who's gonna throw TO the ball?? Just something to think about.

73Easting
3/19/2006, 01:28 PM
I'd like to see the Cowboys pick up Favre....Would be a dream with the money they are putting into the O-line.

jdsooner
3/19/2006, 02:16 PM
Which of the three has the biggest ego: Bill Parcells, Jerry Jones, or TO??

TexasLidig8r
3/19/2006, 02:22 PM
On the flip side of that coin however.... who's gonna throw TO the ball?? Just something to think about.

Vince? :D

kelloggOUballa
3/19/2006, 02:28 PM
T.O. is the maaaaan, GO COWBOYS!

shavedmarmoset
3/19/2006, 04:12 PM
screw TO and anyone who looks like TO. sure hes a super athlete but he is detrimental to the cohesion of the players. if he gets a few catches so what? The only way to make up for his lack of character is if he single-handedly gets them to the Superbowl. He causes problems. We need somebody to solve problems. I'm callin the Wolf.

SoonerLB
3/19/2006, 05:30 PM
73Easting, I took the liberty of adding some realism to your pic. ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/barn9/TOatChumps.jpg

walkoffsooner
3/19/2006, 08:38 PM
People will tune into watch,they will buy tickets to watch,Dallas just got them a free ballplayer.Sounds like a sound business move. Maybe

SoonerMooner
3/19/2006, 10:04 PM
And that's my problem. To that country-fvck Jerry Jones, and his b@stard son, it is just a business. I'm not saying he shouldn't turn a profit, but this guy would hire Stalin, Hitler, and bin Laden as his coordinators if it would turn him a buck.

Kels
3/19/2006, 10:26 PM
JJ has manuevered the franchise into 3 rings since he bought the team. I swallowed my pride and cheered for "Hair" and the 'Boys to win 2 of them. I never liked Johnson after what he did to OU when he was at Miami, but he was a good football coach. Troy, Emmitt, and Jay were fun to watch anyway. Rooting for the King to win ring #3 was easy.

However, it always irked me the way JJ treated Laundry. This was a classy franchise that won often and looked good doing it. The front office and coaching staff back then were well respected in the NFL. It now seems that JJ would sell his soul to the devil and the image of "America's Team" to win at any cost. I think TO is bad for the game, and I don't think that this will work.

sanantoniosooner
3/19/2006, 10:38 PM
However, it always irked me the way JJ treated Laundry.
No softener?

Didn't fold properly?

Please elaborate.

FlatheadSooner
3/19/2006, 10:57 PM
No softener?

Didn't fold properly?

Please elaborate.

Ah Hah! No Bounce!

:D

Dio
3/20/2006, 11:22 AM
No softener?

Didn't fold properly?

Please elaborate.

Well, according to Boo Blake, Aikman was separating the colors, so that wasn't it. ;)

RiddlerOK
3/21/2006, 02:39 PM
This thread begs for a quick death.............

sanantoniosooner
3/21/2006, 05:51 PM
This thread begs for a quick death.............
It was dead for over 24 hours before you bumped it to say it should die.