PDA

View Full Version : So is the Meltdown overwith now?

ouflak
3/17/2006, 04:18 PM
It's just that we still have some good basketball coming up. It would be nice to not have every thead about the women's games pot-marked with posts about the men's team. Maybe we could change focus for a bit and support our team?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/17/2006, 08:28 PM
I think once the women start playing, the sting of the men imploding will be put on the back burner, as it should be.

MojoRisen
3/17/2006, 08:30 PM
Im in- nobody likes misery- and that would help!

oumartin
3/17/2006, 08:37 PM
i've decided the majority of so called OU basketball fans are happy with the state of the program so what the hell does it matter

sooneron
3/17/2006, 08:39 PM
Boomer fuggin Sooner

Let's kick some *** ladies!!!

RacerX
3/18/2006, 12:58 AM
I don't think there was melt down.

It wasn't necessary.

Octavian
3/18/2006, 01:14 AM
I have real mixed feelings on Sampson.

It seems ludicrous to be calling for the head of the coach w/ the most wins in BigXII history...at the same time, you can't deny that Kelvin's teams are increasingly falling short of expectations and there has never been the same flare in the Sampson Era as there was w/ Billy Ball.

I want to win a national championship. I'm spoiled, I admit that. I'm starting to lean into the camp that believes OU basketball has gone as far as it will ever go under Kelvin.

That said, how many times did the majority say the same thing about a Roy Williams team? Or a Tom Osborne team? Bowden? Mack Brown? Who knows....but at this point, we seem to be in a slump.

Of course, none of that should take away from the ladies

My personal oppinion is: A little more than five months till football :D

wishbonesooner
3/18/2006, 11:58 AM
I read somewhere Kelvin has made it past the first round three times in 12 tries. Any ideas why an otherwise solid coach has a tourney record like that?

OUstud
3/18/2006, 02:50 PM
I read somewhere Kelvin has made it past the first round three times in 12 tries. Any ideas why an otherwise solid coach has a tourney record like that?

Self could in a few years.

JohnnyMack
3/19/2006, 01:44 AM

Cause he can't develop an offense that can outwit a zone defense?

the_ouskull
3/19/2006, 10:18 AM
He's never really had a penetrate-and-score and / or kick-it-back-out quality point guard. The closest thing he's had to a dual-threat type guard has been Quannas White. In order to beat a zone you have to collapse a zone. It order to collapse a zone, you have to have the aforementioned point guard or a dominant post player that demands at least a double team.

Also, we've managed to play some pretty good teams early, and have some pretty bad luck against them. (like that cat biting Hollis Price in 2001) Kelvin is a great coach, and I think that, if we start looking to replace him, we'll be hard-pressed to find a better one that will leave where they already are.

Sweet 16. Elite 8. Final 4. USA Basketball medals. 3 Conference Championships.

How many other coaches 1) have that kind of resume, and 2) would leave their current job for Oklahoma...?

It's a short list. I can think of zero.

the_ouskull

Big Red Ron
3/19/2006, 10:37 AM
He's never really had a penetrate-and-score and / or kick-it-back-out quality point guard. The closest thing he's had to a dual-threat type guard has been Quannas White. In order to beat a zone you have to collapse a zone. It order to collapse a zone, you have to have the aforementioned point guard or a dominant post player that demands at least a double team.

Also, we've managed to play some pretty good teams early, and have some pretty bad luck against them. (like that cat biting Hollis Price in 2001) Kelvin is a great coach, and I think that, if we start looking to replace him, we'll be hard-pressed to find a better one that will leave where they already are.

Sweet 16. Elite 8. Final 4. USA Basketball medals. 3 Conference Championships.

How many other coaches 1) have that kind of resume, and 2) would leave their current job for Oklahoma...?

It's a short list. I can think of zero.

the_ouskullI think you over-estimate Kelvin and under-estimate our Program (Money, Conference & History).

BTW, Kelvin has one conference championship and he shared it with KU. Bill self managed to tie him in his first year, what took Kelvin elevin.

TopDawg
3/19/2006, 10:42 AM

He doesn't.

1995 - 4 seed, lost in first round
1996 - 10 seed, lost in first round
1997 - 11 seed, lost in first round
1998 - 11 seed, lost in OT first round
1999 - 13 seed, made it to Sweet 16
2000 - 3 seed, lost in second round
2001 - 3 seed, lost in OT first round
2002 - 2 seed, made it to Final Four
2003 - 1 seed, made it to Elite Eight
2004 - NIT
2005 - 3 seed, lost in second round
2006 - 6 seed, lost in first round

That's 5 times in 11 tries. Still not stellar, but better than 3 out of 12. Maybe you read "first weekend." That would be 3 out of 11.

MojoRisen
3/19/2006, 12:43 PM
Kelvin, has had 12 years to get it done at Oklahoma, after his final four year and an Elite 8, we should have had a spike in the program talent wise.

I see too many transfers- and Kelvin can only RAH RAH an overachieving team to play his style of ball- the stars I don't think he can coach them.

Whichata St. Coach is someone that will be making a move somewhere.

Or do you think Wichata St has better facilities and pays more money? or can recruit better kids to the MVC..

oumartin
3/19/2006, 12:48 PM
boy, I sure hope we can keep Kelvin, I really want a coach here that obviously doesn't wanna be here.

C&CDean
3/20/2006, 09:35 AM
Give it a ****ing rest martin.

And if you're not gonna post about the women, stay the **** outta this thread. Go play in all the other whining, gnashing of teeth, hate Kelvin threads please.

TopDaugIn2000
3/20/2006, 10:14 AM
from soonersports.com about the WOMEN
"On Monday, the Sooners will have their sights set on reaching the Sweet 16. A win would put OU into it fourth Sweet 16 and first since 2002. OU has reached the second round of the NCAA Tournament seven times in nine NCAA appearances. A Sweet 16 trip would be the Sooners fourth since the 2000."

just a nice little tidbit.