PDA

View Full Version : Really good Chinese Restaurants

handcrafted
3/17/2006, 10:51 AM
Panda Garden in Brookhaven. Mongolian BBQ = greatness. Buffet = good stuff, especially the chicken on a stick.

Mjcpr
3/17/2006, 10:53 AM
I'd like to see some Tulsa versions on the list. Everywhere I go is the typical chinese restaurant/buffet type places.......except for PF Changs.

mdklatt
3/17/2006, 10:54 AM
Panda Garden is okay by Oklahoma standards. There are many places in Dallas that pwn anything I've had around here, and Houston pwns Dallas.

TopDaugIn2000
3/17/2006, 10:55 AM
Panda Garden in Brookhaven. Mongolian BBQ = greatness. Buffet = good stuff, especially the chicken on a stick.

that's usually where we go unless we get takeout from Golden Chef.

and yes, their "rat on a stick" is quite tasty

handcrafted
3/17/2006, 10:55 AM
Panda Garden is okay by Oklahoma standards. There are many places in Dallas that pwn anything I've had around here, and Houston pwns Dallas.

Well, the more Chinese people you have living in a given location, the more the restaurants pwn. I had some great Chinese in D.C. when I lived there.

TopDaugIn2000
3/17/2006, 10:57 AM
I'd like to try some of those down on 23rd but they scare me.

mdklatt
3/17/2006, 10:58 AM
Well, the more Chinese people you have living in a given location, the more the restaurants pwn.

True. But the best Chinese food I've had in awhile was in Wabasha, MN (pop. 2600). It is the only Chinese restaurant in town, as you can imagine.

OklahomaTrombone
3/17/2006, 10:58 AM
I'd like to see some Tulsa versions on the list. Everywhere I go is the typical chinese restaurant/buffet type places.......except for PF Changs.

The place at 51st adn Harvard is good.

51st ane Memorial as well.

Pei Wei and TK's

handcrafted
3/17/2006, 10:59 AM
that's usually where we go unless we get takeout from Golden Chef.

and yes, their "rat on a stick" is quite tasty

Okay, you really made the list this time.

Mjcpr

51st ane Memorial as well.

Pei Wei and TK's

Enough with the specifics. :D

TopDaugIn2000
True. But the best Chinese food I've had in awhile was in Wabasha, MN (pop. 2600). It is the only Chinese restaurant in town, as you can imagine.

there's only one in Pauls Valley too. SKIP. IT.

OklahomaTrombone
3/17/2006, 11:00 AM
heh.

I don't remember their names.

LilSooner
Lido's is awesome down town although they are more vietmenese. Also awesome is New China in Newcastle. It just a little take out place but its crab rangoon is greatness.

TopDaugIn2000
Okay, you really made the list this time.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

LilSooner
3/17/2006, 11:01 AM
TK's is awesome as well.

TopDaugIn2000
If you're ever in the Ft. Smith area go to Lin's Garden. YWIA.

Best Crab Rangoons EVAR

Rhino
China House (http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypMap.py?Pyt=Typ&tuid=23062776&ck=28475750&tab=B2C&ycat=8227499&city=Oklahoma+City&state=OK&zip=73120&uzip=73120&country=us&msa=5880&cs=5&ed=C1Gdsq1o2TyoEXuTMRaMpPUfN8NChvqP0wNF_6FFLp1x&stat=:pos:0:regular:regT:5:fbT:1), north of May on 122nd in OKC, is the best takeout I've ever had.

I wish I still lived over there just so I could eat there every week.

handcrafted
:confused: :confused: :confused:

The "rat on a stick" comment. Now I'm gonna wonder every time I eat there.

Thanks a lot.

mdklatt
3/17/2006, 11:02 AM
Moon Wok in Cedar Hill, TX is pretty good, plus it's close to a frozen custard place. Score!

TopDaugIn2000
3/17/2006, 11:02 AM
The "rat on a stick" comment. Now I'm gonna wonder every time I eat there.

Thanks a lot.
ohhhhhhhhh, yeah. you're welcome.

that's what all my coworkers used to say when we'd go the the place on 50th and Shartel.

Mjcpr
3/17/2006, 11:04 AM
Probably in this part of the country, there aren't that many "authentic" Chinese food places. I ate at one (at least that's what I'd call it) in Phoenix once and it was goooooood, except I stayed away from the really weird stuff. Actually, I think it was technically in Mesa but whatever.

handcrafted
3/17/2006, 11:06 AM
There are, however, some authentic Vietnamese places over in Little Saigon. Pretty good, but watch out for the beef salad. Unless, of course, you're constipated. :D

yermom
3/17/2006, 12:15 PM

i miss Egg Roll Express :(

Mjcpr
3/17/2006, 12:16 PM
i miss Egg Roll Express :(

That's one of the ones I was talking about. Meh.

yermom
3/17/2006, 12:21 PM
i wouldn't call it typical... but i generally hate the buffet and takeout places, that place the the stuff isn't all dried out and stuff, although it seems to have gone downhill a bit in the last 10 years...

one buffet place that isn't too bad is Oriental Pearl in Owasso off 169 and 96th

Harry Beanbag
3/17/2006, 12:21 PM

Heh. That's where Grumpy Old Men was supposed to be.

I've laid more pipe in this town than Wabasha Plumbing.

mdklatt
3/17/2006, 12:29 PM
Heh. That's where Grumpy Old Men was supposed to be.

Yep. And they don't let you forget it. :D

Your fine dining options in Wabasha are pretty much limited to the aforementioned Chinese restaurant and Slippery's, which is a takeoff of the bar/restaurant in the movie. The "country club" restaurant has a pretty good fish fry on Friday nights, too. The AmericInn (which I strongly recommend if you're ever in the area) has several Grumpy Old Men theme rooms, and both movies avaialble for checkout of course.

Pricetag
3/17/2006, 01:33 PM
I always have to laugh when I go to a Chinese restaurant and see that the cooks are all Mexicans.

BeetDigger
3/17/2006, 01:50 PM
There are some very good chinease restaurants in Richardson, just east of beltline road off 75.

1st Chinese BBQ is greatness. They have the ducks with the heads on them as you walk in, along with the pancreas and other assorted chinese delicacies. The white board menu is written in chinese. Thankfully, the menu that they hand out has english (sort of) on it. The place if full of chinese folk up until about 11:45 when the Mericans come in for lunch. They then skeedaddle out of there.

$10 says that one can find Beef's roommate in there every once in a while.

PrideTrombone
3/17/2006, 01:51 PM

Not Chinese, but there's a Vietnamese place on 91st and Yale called Ri-Le. Go there. Now.

Mjcpr
3/17/2006, 01:56 PM
Not Chinese, but there's a Vietnamese place on 91st and Yale called Ri-Le. Go there. Now.

I like my Americanized Chinese food. They don't have weird **** do they?

Pricetag
3/17/2006, 02:33 PM
Ri-Le kicks butt. It used to be right by my old house, at 31st and Yale. It moved right before I moved in there, though.

My dad used to take us there when we were still semi-finicky kids, so I think any adult ought to be okay there.

PrideTrombone
3/17/2006, 02:38 PM
I like my Americanized Chinese food. They don't have weird **** do they?

Nah, it's all beef, chicken, pork, and tofu, with the veggies and stuff.

Mjcpr
3/17/2006, 02:47 PM
Okay, I've got 3 places to try now.

I'll report back in the next few months. Or not.

King Crimson
3/17/2006, 02:51 PM
vietnamese or thai are almost always better. there was a vietnamese noodle bowl place in Denver (it's gone now) that was open til 1 AM......beef noodle bowl with fresh cilantro and hot sauce, a couple spring rolls.....for like 5 bucks. great for late night. the guy who owned it was kind of jerk, though.

i went to a really good Korean place in Midwest City with a Korean friend of my Dad's.

Mjcpr
3/17/2006, 02:59 PM
beef noodle bowl with fresh cilantro and hot sauce, a couple spring rolls.....for like 5 bucks. great for late night. the guy who owned it was kind of jerk, though.

No beef noodle bowl for you! Come back, one yeahr!

King Crimson
3/17/2006, 03:05 PM
No beef noodle bowl for you! Come back, one yeahr!

it was kind of like that. one time, somewhat totally hammered, i asked him for an extra spring roll and i thought he was going to kill me.

also, it's a good practice that if you are at a "chinese" place and they have teh standard menu of orange beef, general tao's chicken, etc.....and the back page is vietnamese or korean or something......order off the back page. we used to have a Mongolian BBQ place that had a side Korean menu. it was run by a korean family. teh mogolian BBQ was average, the Korean stuff was awesome.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/17/2006, 04:05 PM
Golden China on 12th in Moore. It is just east of Santa Fe. For a buffet place it's really good and fresh.

Chuck Bao
3/17/2006, 04:12 PM
I have never had good Chinese food in the US. Never. Not in SF or NY.

Okay, the dim sum in SF or NY is okay. The variety is lacking a bit.

I just don't get the courses of a Chinese banquet that I get in Asia. Dishes like:

Drunken chicken with sesame seed jellyfish
Giant prawn salad with pineapple, papaya and apples in mayonnaise sauce
Roast pigeon
Four vegetables in oyster sauce – giant black mushrooms, seaweed, asparagus and broccoli
Roast suckling pig
Shark fin soup
Peking duck
Steamed sea bass with ginger

The noodle and rice dishes served at the end of the banquet is just to make sure that everyone is full at the end of a 6-12 course meal.

The strange thing is that I get this great Chinese banquet feast much cheaper than you are paying for your rancid Chinese buffet.

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/chickenjellyfishresized.jpg

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/prawnsaladresized.jpg

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/friedpigeonresized.jpg

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/hotsoursoupresized.jpg

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/pekingduckresized.jpg

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/seabassresized.jpg

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/17/2006, 04:14 PM
What are they doing?

Chuck Bao
3/17/2006, 04:22 PM
What are they doing?

Roast pigeon and that's some very good hillbilly eatin'.

mdklatt
3/17/2006, 04:31 PM
Roast pigeon

I hear they eat rat in China, so it makes sense that they eat winged rat, too.

Chuck Bao
3/17/2006, 04:38 PM
I hear they eat rat in China, so it makes sense that they eat winged rat, too.

Yeah, I know. I've never ate a rat. Roast pigeon is 100% like fried catfish. I'm pretty sure that hillbilly people like catfish. What they (pigeon/catfish) eat is pretty much besides the point.

Mjcpr
3/18/2006, 03:14 PM
I hope you meant Lanna Thai because that's where we went for lunch today. Very, very good. Thanks for the recommendation.

My only complaint was that the restroom ceiling leaked on me. :O

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/18/2006, 05:21 PM
I hope youo meant Lanna Thai because that's where we went for lunch today. Very, very good. Thanks for the recommendation.

My only complaint was that the restroom ceiling leaked on me. :OThat wasn't water.

VeeJay
3/18/2006, 06:50 PM
Did anyone else ever think "Moo Goo Gai Pan" was code for "Cat Feces on a Nice Plate With Rice"?

Mjcpr
3/18/2006, 07:22 PM
That wasn't water.

Why do I smell like urine?

Boomer711
3/19/2006, 12:51 AM
Are there any good to decent Chinese restaurants in Norman?.....because all the ones I've tried have sucked 10 kinds of arse.

yermom
3/19/2006, 04:09 AM
Are there any good to decent Chinese restaurants in Norman?.....because all the ones I've tried have sucked 10 kinds of arse.

i like this place... even though it's next door to a vet's office that only treats cats :O

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/5326/vethunan8uc.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

it's in Robinson Crossing