PDA

View Full Version : The Aints and the Draft

TexasLidig8r
3/17/2006, 10:43 AM
Haven't seen a thread about this (or too lazy to find it).. but... it was widely believed the Aints would take Matt Leinart with the second pick of the draft.

However, with their signing in the last few days of Drew Brees to a 6 year contract... it creates an interesting conundrum.

Do the Aints keep the second pick and draft the stud defensive end from NC State... or do they keep the second pick and take DBrickashat Whatever from Virginia... or...

Do they trade down for more picks and/or players?

The J-E-T-S.. Jets Jets Jets at No. 4 would love to have Leinart.. but.. what are they prepared to give up to jump up to the number 2 pick.

Thoughts? Ideas?

SCOUT
3/17/2006, 10:46 AM
They should use the second pick to draft JD Runnels

Rhino
3/17/2006, 10:55 AM
They'd be stupid not to trade down.

Mjcpr
3/17/2006, 10:57 AM
They'd be stupid not to trade down.

Yep. Especially if JD is taken with the first pick.

:D

Harry Beanbag
3/17/2006, 11:02 AM
I think the top two picks are gonna get traded. It'll be interesting.

Big Red Ron
3/17/2006, 11:23 AM
I don't see a scenerio where Vince is a top five pick anymore. He may slide out of the top ten.

BTW, the titans are salivating at the possibilty of reuniting Matt and Chow, while other NFL scouts are starting to question Matt's arem strength and mobility while questioning Vince's uhm brain.

Should be interesting...

TexasLidig8r
3/17/2006, 11:27 AM
I don't see a scenerio where Vince is a top five pick anymore. He may slide out of the top ten.

Care to place a gentlemen's wager? Perhaps a bottle of Maker's Mark?

NickZeppelin
3/17/2006, 11:37 AM
Aints will either draft defense(Williams NC State) or they will trade down. I think if they trade down they would trade down the middle stages of the draft because the higher teams looking for Young/Cutler/Leinart will still get him if they are in the top 10. There are only so many teams looking QB. Titans, maybe the Jets, Arizona, off the top of my head. Those teams dont' need to trade up if they want one of the QBs.

colleyvillesooner
3/17/2006, 11:45 AM

If there are no trades, Vince will most likely be a Raider. If there are trades, who knows.

1stTimeCaller
3/17/2006, 11:48 AM

A fifth of Maker's Mark says Vince is not picked in the top 5

The VIIIth
3/17/2006, 11:53 AM
Haven't seen a thread about this (or too lazy to find it).. but... it was widely believed the Aints would take Matt Leinart with the second pick of the draft.

However, with their signing in the last few days of Drew Brees to a 6 year contract... it creates an interesting conundrum.

Do the Aints keep the second pick and draft the stud defensive end from NC State... or do they keep the second pick and take DBrickashat Whatever from Virginia... or...

Do they trade down for more picks and/or players?

The J-E-T-S.. Jets Jets Jets at No. 4 would love to have Leinart.. but.. what are they prepared to give up to jump up to the number 2 pick.

Thoughts? Ideas?

I was in houston last week and heard an interesting scenario...Texans trade their #1 to the Jets who promptly take Leinart. Texans get a 2nd round or some other compensation as well as the #4 pick from the Jets with which they take Reggie Bush. They get the same player they wanted, plus a compensation pick.

TexasLidig8r
3/17/2006, 11:56 AM
A fifth of Maker's Mark says Vince is not picked in the top 5

Are you a gentleman? ;)

I believe we have reached an accord.

A Fifth of Maker's Mark it is....

And no carpet urination allowed!

1stTimeCaller
3/17/2006, 11:58 AM
Are you a gentleman? ;)

That's how I seal the deal. Like signing in blood or a spit handshake.

mrowl
3/17/2006, 12:01 PM
Vince slides to the 7th with Oakland.

Aints should trade to 4.

Harry Beanbag
3/17/2006, 12:08 PM
Aints will either draft defense(Williams NC State) or they will trade down. I think if they trade down they would trade down the middle stages of the draft because the higher teams looking for Young/Cutler/Leinart will still get him if they are in the top 10. There are only so many teams looking QB. Titans, maybe the Jets, Arizona, off the top of my head. Those teams dont' need to trade up if they want one of the QBs.

The Cardinals may draft a QB later on, but not in the first round. They just resigned Warner so they're not going to spend a bunch of money on a backup.

colleyvillesooner
3/17/2006, 12:28 PM
I was in houston last week and heard an interesting scenario...Texans trade their #1 to the Jets who promptly take Leinart. Texans get a 2nd round or some other compensation as well as the #4 pick from the Jets with which they take Reggie Bush. They get the same player they wanted, plus a compensation pick.

If that happened, there's no way the Aints don't take Bush.

oufan1
3/17/2006, 12:35 PM
nm

oufan1
3/17/2006, 12:35 PM
If there are no trades, Vince will most likely be a Raider. If there are trades, who knows.
Do they need a reciever?;)

swardboy
3/17/2006, 12:39 PM
I'm puzzled by N.O. signing of Brees...the Chargers basically showed him the door because of the shoulder injury. Oh well, it means I get to see Phillip Rivers finally get a shot. He was more highly regarded than Roethlisberger in the draft....

Big Red Ron
3/17/2006, 02:46 PM
I'm puzzled by N.O. signing of Brees...the Chargers basically showed him the door because of the shoulder injury. Oh well, it means I get to see Phillip Rivers finally get a shot. He was more highly regarded than Roethlisberger in the draft....No, his shoulder is fine. He's a free agent and could have gone pretty much anywhere. Rivers is going to be a massive bust. Brees is easily a better QB than anyone in this year's draft.

Harry Beanbag
3/17/2006, 02:53 PM
The Saints need to take D'Brickashaw Ferguson. Bookends of Ferguson and Jamaal Brown means a worry free O-line for the next 10 years.

NickZeppelin
3/17/2006, 02:56 PM
The Cardinals may draft a QB later on, but not in the first round. They just resigned Warner so they're not going to spend a bunch of money on a backup.

If Cutler or Young are there at 10 they'll take a QB

LSUdeek
3/17/2006, 03:18 PM
If we draft another defensive end i will ****. We are desperately in need of offensive linemen, cornerback, linebacker, and wide receiver depth.

The moves to get Brees and Michael Bennett are showing me more than I've seen out of the Saints front office in years.

Scott D
3/17/2006, 03:25 PM
The draft in general is getting interesting. Right now the way things look, two quarterbacks are looking foolish at the moment, Leinart for not coming out last year and being a top 5 pick, and Young for coming out this year and slipping down the draft board...it's quite possible that he won't even be a top 10 pick at this point.

Texans say they won't take a QB because they believe in Carr. Saints sign Brees, Titans still in the hunt for a QB for now. Jets traded for Patrick Ramsey today, so scratch them out of the Leinart/Young/Cutler dance.

Word is the Raiders are looking more at Jay Cutler than Vince Young.

Right now the most likely scenario would probably be the Saints trading down to the Titans spot with the assurances that they would be able to get Williams from NC State in that spot.

I do agree with your assessment of the defensive line though deek, they'd be better off taking Ferguson from Virginia with their pick.

oumartin
3/17/2006, 05:24 PM
VY will go to whichever teams needs a kick returner.

colleyvillesooner
3/17/2006, 05:58 PM
The draft in general is getting interesting. Right now the way things look, two quarterbacks are looking foolish at the moment, Leinart for not coming out last year and being a top 5 pick, and Young for coming out this year and slipping down the draft board...it's quite possible that he won't even be a top 10 pick at this point.

Texans say they won't take a QB because they believe in Carr. Saints sign Brees, Titans still in the hunt for a QB for now. Jets traded for Patrick Ramsey today, so scratch them out of the Leinart/Young/Cutler dance.

Word is the Raiders are looking more at Jay Cutler than Vince Young.

Right now the most likely scenario would probably be the Saints trading down to the Titans spot with the assurances that they would be able to get Williams from NC State in that spot.

I do agree with your assessment of the defensive line though deek, they'd be better off taking Ferguson from Virginia with their pick.

If all that happens, VY would be a Cardnial at 10.

Flagstaffsooner
3/17/2006, 06:41 PM
VY will go to whichever teams needs a kick returner.YMSSRA:D

Big Red Ron
3/17/2006, 06:44 PM
If all that happens, VY would be a Cardnial at 10.Imagine how excited Fitzgerald is going to be.:D

GDC
3/18/2006, 03:35 PM
The title of this forum is Sooner football, and yet this thread, started by a stinking whorn, has no mention whatsoever of OU football. There is a general sports forum after all.

BASSooner
3/18/2006, 03:59 PM
Imagine how excited Fitzgerald is going to be.:D
Fitz won't have to worry about VY starting over him ;)

Big Red Ron
3/18/2006, 04:00 PM
Fitz won't have to worry about VY starting over him ;)heh..spek

TheGodfather889
3/18/2006, 07:38 PM
I would love to see Matt Leinart drop out of the top 10 it would be hilarious.Even though I honestly would love to see him get drafted by my Raiders.My Raiders aren't going anywhere anyway,might as well get a quarterback that has the potential to be a great player in the NFL.

TUSooner
3/18/2006, 08:29 PM
The title of this forum is Sooner football, and yet this thread, started by a stinking whorn, has no mention whatsoever of OU football. There is a general sports forum after all.
Lighten up, Herr Kapitan Thread Nazi. ;)
Hardly anybody looks at the General Sports forum.

The VIIIth
3/18/2006, 10:07 PM
Vince slides to the 7th with Oakland.

Aints should trade to 4.

I was listening to ESPN radio tonight, draft preview discussion and this exact scenario was talked about. VY's stock is slipping, there was nothing specific just numerous small things that are adding up. They also mentioned that the Jets are now coveting D'Brickashaw Ferguson...I now have no idea what the top five picks will look like. The texans, unlike their in state constituents, are keeping their mouths shuts.

RedstickSooner
3/20/2006, 11:27 AM
The Saints need to take D'Brickashaw Ferguson. Bookends of Ferguson and Jamaal Brown means a worry free O-line for the next 10 years.

Makes sense to me -- always figured once you commit to invest in an area, you should follow through to make sure you get your money's worth. Having only one-half of a good line is useless -- defenses will just tee up on the other side.

GDC
3/20/2006, 11:49 AM
I still haven't seen a single reference to OU football in this thread.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/20/2006, 11:50 AM
Well they did mention Jamaal Brown ;)

cjames317
3/20/2006, 11:54 AM
Are you a gentleman? ;)

Pray tell, why doth horn counsel quote the pirate?

Oldnslo
3/20/2006, 12:22 PM
I have been a Saints fan for almost all of my life.

Based upon my experience, despite the occasional drafting of an outstanding OU player, you can rest assured that whatever the Saints do...

... it will turn out wrong.

tbl
3/20/2006, 01:39 PM

Two things:

Leinart looks REALLY dumb b/c he would have been the #1 overall pick last year, no question.... plus he lost his final college game.

Vince looks dumb for many other reasons (namely because he IS dumb), but leaving this year was the smartest thing he could have done. Regardless of what happens this year in the draft, it wouldn't have been better for him next year.

JohnnyMack
3/20/2006, 01:48 PM
Imagine how excited Fitzgerald is going to be.:D

No worries.

http://www.charkbait.com/cs/images/boating/ProMar/LN-501B.jpg

Soonerwake
3/20/2006, 01:57 PM
GDC is the voice of reason, as usual. :P

Dio
3/20/2006, 02:48 PM
Johnny Mack, can you enlarge that pic a little bit? I can't really see it. ;)