PDA

View Full Version : In Case Nobody Noticed....

Mjcpr
3/17/2006, 10:33 AM
....or cared, Team USA was eliminated from the WBC. :rolleyes:

We're going to have to start inventing more sports to dominate in because we're getting our asses kicked in all of our old ones.

mrowl
3/17/2006, 10:36 AM
When is the OPSaBtYPSC or "Our Pot Smokers are Better than Your Pot Smokers Classic"? also known as "snowboarding"

Scott D
3/17/2006, 11:35 AM
Why is it a surprize? How many top players in the Majors are from countries other than the USA? The favorite in this had to be the Dominican Republic and the dark horse Cuba.

For some reason it would amuse me a lot if Cuba wins it. And Canada went over 50 years between winning gold medals in Hockey in the Olympics for what it's worth.

OUthunder
3/17/2006, 11:44 AM

We're going to have to start inventing more sports to dominate in because we're getting our asses kicked in all of our old ones.

But they don't play for the money.:rolleyes:

jk the sooner fan
3/17/2006, 12:22 PM
Why is it a surprize? How many top players in the Majors are from countries other than the USA? The favorite in this had to be the Dominican Republic and the dark horse Cuba.

For some reason it would amuse me a lot if Cuba wins it. And Canada went over 50 years between winning gold medals in Hockey in the Olympics for what it's worth.

did you see the starting lineup for USA? some serious hard core talent from top to bottom, its pathetic that they had as poor as showing that they did

they scored one run against mexico??????

i hope baseball leaves this failed experiment in the past once its over

ChickSoonerFan
3/17/2006, 12:24 PM
WBC? :O

Mjcpr
3/17/2006, 12:26 PM
WBC? :O

Pfffft, chicks man.

World Baseball Classic.

jk the sooner fan
3/17/2006, 12:26 PM
world baseball championship...sort of like a world cup style baseball tournament

yermom
3/17/2006, 12:47 PM
did you see the starting lineup for USA? some serious hard core talent from top to bottom, its pathetic that they had as poor as showing that they did

is it failing in the rest of the world too? is it even on TV?

i thought they weren't going to let Cuba play?

BeetDigger
3/17/2006, 12:52 PM
Next year: WSGVC World street gang violence classic.

Although, some countries, like many in South America, will probably dominate in this. Man, we suck at everything.

oumartin
3/17/2006, 12:53 PM
Baseball, the big who gives a flying crap about this once proud pastime sport.

I loved playing it growing up but I absolutely hate the game at the major league level.

IronSooner
3/17/2006, 01:01 PM
Baseball, the big who gives a flying crap about this once proud pastime sport.

I loved playing it growing up but I absolutely hate the game at the major league level.

I couldn't have said it better. I still wish I could be out on the field on really nice spring days, but I can't stomach watching it. Can't say I have a lot of respect for the players these days either...

Pricetag
3/17/2006, 01:10 PM
This was a ruse to distract the rest of the world so we can win the World Cup this year.

Ike
3/17/2006, 02:02 PM
I'm not surprised that much. We needed a blown call (an absolutely terrible one too) to beat Japan. Of course, Japan made it to the Finals anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Korea, Japan, DR, and Cuba in the finals. East Asia vs. Latin America. interesting.

1stTimeCaller
3/17/2006, 02:04 PM
I agree with the comments about baseball where watching on TV is concerned but it's hard to beat going to the ballpark on a beautiful day to watch a game in person. IMO.

Ike
3/17/2006, 02:14 PM
I agree with the comments about baseball where watching on TV is concerned but it's hard to beat going to the ballpark on a beautiful day to watch a game in person. IMO.

I love watching any baseball in person. High School, College, Minor League, Major League, Indy Ball, hell, even Little League from time to time. You are right, you can't beat it. And to be honest, if all you hate is MLB baseball, for god sakes, don't let that keep you from taking in a game or 20 over the spring and summer. there are millions of ballgames played everywhere across the country. go find a team you can support and support em, at whatever level you want to. (this is where I put in my plug for my boys...if you are in the OKC area and want to see some good ballplayers, head on over to Oklahoma City University and pick up a baseball schedule...they are defending National Champions, and play in your own backyard.)

IronSooner
3/17/2006, 02:17 PM
I love watching any baseball in person. High School, College, Minor League, Major League, Indy Ball, hell, even Little League from time to time. You are right, you can't beat it. And to be honest, if all you hate is MLB baseball, for god sakes, don't let that keep you from taking in a game or 20 over the spring and summer. there are millions of ballgames played everywhere across the country. go find a team you can support and support em, at whatever level you want to.

This is what college ball is for. Kids who don't get paid, try to win, and (probably) go to the same school you graduated from. Much easier to watch. There is a difference between in person and TV. I don't understand how people can watch baseball on TV and the pro game still seems a little boring to me. If they could just go to wooden bats and get rid of that irritating "Ping!" the aluminum bats make in college they'd be golden.

Ike
3/17/2006, 02:19 PM
This is what college ball is for. Kids who don't get paid, try to win, and (probably) go to the same school you graduated from. Much easier to watch. There is a difference between in person and TV. I don't understand how people can watch baseball on TV and the pro game still seems a little boring to me. If they could just go to wooden bats and get rid of that irritating "Ping!" the aluminum bats make in college they'd be golden.

I agree 100%. Believe it or not, there are some college conferences that have done this. I can't remember which ones, but I know there is at least one midwestern NAIA conference that has gone all wood.

sooneron
3/17/2006, 02:20 PM
I was going to fire bomb the commish's office if they had called up Bonds in the next round.

Scott D
3/17/2006, 03:08 PM

Personally I don't think the players were as into it as they tried to lead the public to believe (the US team). There were probably a handful of guys who took it personally (Jeter and Clemens among them) the rest probably saw it as an excuse to 'get out of' spring training for 2 weeks.

Offensively, no team in this tournament holds a candle to the Dominican lineup, and that was without Manny Ramierez for the whole tourney, and Vladimir Guerrero for the first round. Pitchingwise, I thought that Venezuela was as good if not better than the US team at least as far as starters go, however their offense wasn't good enough.

If anything, this is a sign of how baseball has declined in public view in this country, and why despite relatively high turnout for little league. It's more of a distraction today for kids than the primary sport of enjoyment.

oumartin
3/17/2006, 03:25 PM
you guys may be right. I've never taken in a major league game in person and its probably alot of fun. But the money and the trades just get to be to much for my little brain to take in. oh, and the attitudes and lack of english being spoke by players.

Palermo10
3/20/2006, 10:19 AM

At least we can beat Mexico in other things... (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=341643&root=us&cc=5901)

TUSooner
3/20/2006, 10:39 AM
I hope Japan beats Cuba.