PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Hype on the women's team

ouflak
3/17/2006, 05:46 AM
ESPN article.

http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/ncw/2006/0316/photo/i_paris_412.jpg (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/womenbb/index)

They have been tooting our horn a lot lately, not that that isn't deserved. It's just strange to see this team the recipient of so much attention.

I was a student when the program was killed. The national response to that still impresses me. I thought coaches everywhere were going to stage a boycott at the time! Who knows? The thought might have crossed some minds.

FaninAma
3/17/2006, 11:54 AM
I think the reason The Sooners are getting so much press is because there are so many intriguing angles to this team. One is, as you pointed out, the fact that the program was already walking into the bright light and was called back by an outcry from the fans and the players at the time.

Another is how this team has bonded together and managed to bring together the 2 high profile twins from California to form not only a team but a family with players from Oklahoma, Arkansas, Texas and New Mexico. One of the most moving scenes in sports this year was Courtney's tearful tribute to Becky Preston on Senior night in Norman.

In short, the women's team is everything the men's team wasn't in terms of team chemistry and cohesiveness.

They may lose in the tournament but it won't be because they aren't playing up to the best of their abilities......it will be because a more athletic team like LSU played a great game against them.

NormanPride
3/17/2006, 02:38 PM
One of the most moving scenes in sports this year was Courtney's tearful tribute to Becky Preston on Senior night in Norman.

That, I think, was the coolest thing I've seen this year. I got choked up along with just about everyone else around me...

Cam
3/18/2006, 09:56 AM
Then there's the fact that the main players on this team will be back next year.

I think they're trying to set it up so that they don't ack like Johnny come lately next year when we start the season in the top 5.