PDA

View Full Version : Vile Chinese Restaurants

Vaevictis
3/17/2006, 12:56 AM
I would like to congratulate Golden Palace just north of Tinker AFB for having the nastiest Chinese Buffet on the face of the planet. These people have raised nasty Chinese food to an art form. I take a bite of a spring roll. It tastes like fried hot dog. I take a bite out of what is supposed to be Crab Rangoon (labelled as it, and looks like it). It turns out to be something that tastes like deep fried hot dog.

I threw up in my mouth. Several times. My friend who was with me told me the Mongolian BBQ wasn't bad, so I'll have to try it the next time I never go back.

VILE VILE VILE VILE VILE.

(it was so damned busy that I didn't think it could be bad, but I guess there are a lot of people near the AFB who don't know the difference between Chinese food and pig slop.)

VeeJay
3/17/2006, 08:46 AM
I would like to nominate this for Post of the Week.

Harry Beanbag
3/17/2006, 08:56 AM
There really is nothing better than a deep fried wiener.

Okla-homey
3/17/2006, 09:01 AM
I bet the owners aren't even Chinese.

Taxman71
3/17/2006, 09:49 AM
Strange. The Golden Palace at NW 50th and Shartel is awesome. The mongolian BBQ is always better than the buffet since they make it right then. Their sesame chicken used to be the thing.

Mjcpr
3/17/2006, 09:51 AM
FYI - Pretty much ALL Chinese buffets suck it.

Skysooner
3/17/2006, 10:03 AM
Strange. The Golden Palace at NW 50th and Shartel is awesome. The mongolian BBQ is always better than the buffet since they make it right then. Their sesame chicken used to be the thing.

Agreed, the Mongolian stiry fry is fantastic. I learned a long time ago not to ask for extra hot on that stuff. I ended up drinking a pitcher of water that day.

Veritas
3/17/2006, 10:05 AM
Yeah they do.

I hate the places that don't want to accept credit cars unless you put more than $5.00 on it or something. Hey buttcrack, you either take Visa or you don't...no having your fortune cookie and eating it too.

mdklatt
3/17/2006, 10:30 AM
FYI - Pretty much ALL Chinese buffets in Oklahoma suck it.

Yes.

mdklatt
3/17/2006, 10:35 AM
There's a place in Norman at the SE corner of 12th and Alameda that was horrid the one time I went to it. I think it's called Golden Palace, too. They also charged me three dollars more than the posted price because I happened to go on "crab day". I don't like seafood, so I didn't even touch the damn crab legs. Do not go to this place. EVAR. It sucks in a great way. :mad:

TopDaugIn2000
3/17/2006, 10:47 AM
China Olive on the NW expressway just across from Baptist USED to be pretty good. The last couple of times I went were HORRID. NOT GOING BACK.

When I worked in OKC we'd go to The Golden Palace at NW 50th and Shartel for lunch occasionally cause it was close. NOT that great, could usually get the mongolian bbq down though, but that's about it. Also went to one somewhere around I40 and Meridian or so, wasn't too impressed with it either.

I prefer the take out joints where they cook it while you wait. Golden Chef on Robinson & I35 is really close and I like it. Also liked one on 63rd & May when I lived in OKC.

handcrafted
3/17/2006, 10:52 AM
I second Golden Chef on Robinson & I-35 for take-out. It rocks.

SoonerInKCMO
3/17/2006, 01:01 PM
I'll take fried-hot-dog-tasting spring rolls over real Chinese food any day.

Veritas
3/17/2006, 01:29 PM
Oh, yeah, real Chinese food (not the stuff we eat at Chinese restaurants) is repulsive.

slickdawg
3/17/2006, 01:33 PM
I would like to congratulate Golden Palace just north of Tinker AFB for having the nastiest Chinese Buffet on the face of the planet. These people have raised nasty Chinese food to an art form. I take a bite of a spring roll. It tastes like fried dog. I take a bite out of what is supposed to be Crab Rangoon (labelled as it, and looks like it). It turns out to be something that tastes like deep fried dog.

fixed that for ya'

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/17/2006, 04:08 PM
I went into a place once that was called Mai Dao (pronounced My Dog). It should have been a clue that the only people working there were white. I saw the buffet and immediately thought of that Chun King stuff. All I ate was white rice.

I think it was open about a week.

TopDaugIn2000
3/17/2006, 04:10 PM
went to one in Norman a few years called "A Wonderful Chinese Restaurant", think it was on E Alameda. It was anything BUT wonderful.

Vaevictis
3/17/2006, 05:24 PM

I wouldn't. I've had real Chinese food before. And it ain't my favorite cuisine in general, but this was worse. Much worse. How is it worse? Because I can look at real Chinese food and know better. You see a bunch of chicken feet in a buffet pot covered in some brown sauce, and you know that you're in for trouble when you take it.

But fried hot dog spring rolls? There's no preparing for that. You take a bite, expecting yummy cabbage goodness, and you get pureed chicken lips and pig sphincter instead. Vile.

Harry Beanbag
3/17/2006, 06:13 PM
I want to thank you for reintroducing me to the word "vile". I had forgotten about it, and it's really too good of word to be ignored any longer.

SoonerInKCMO
3/17/2006, 07:19 PM
I wouldn't. I've had real Chinese food before. And it ain't my favorite cuisine in general, but this was worse. Much worse. How is it worse? Because I can look at real Chinese food and know better. You see a bunch of chicken feet in a buffet pot covered in some brown sauce, and you know that you're in for trouble when you take it.

But fried hot dog spring rolls? There's no preparing for that. You take a bite, expecting yummy cabbage goodness, and you get pureed chicken lips and pig sphincter instead. Vile.

I saw the chicken feet in the sauce and in one of my tablemates mouths the last time I was at a restaurant in Chinatown - that was enough to ruin the rest of the meal. :D

VeeJay
3/17/2006, 10:11 PM
I worked for an importing company a couple of years ago. I was scheduled for a trip to the Orient (mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong). I was briefed that the good people in the Orient offices take the new employees out drinking their rice wine. That's one night of being drunk out of your gourd, and that three or four of them literally carry you to your hotel room.

Another eventful night is spent at a place Westerners call "The Zoo." It's like a buffet line, but instead of checking out the prepared food and helping yourself or asking for a spoonful, there are live animals on display. The patrons point to the beast they wish to consume, then a worker culls the harvest from the roster and hauls it - whatever it is - from a live chicken to a raccoon - to the kitchen for slaughter and preparation.

I was told that when you walk in the joint the first thing you hear is the most bizarre mixture of screaming animal sounds from the backroom. Some undoubtedly know their fates.

I left the co. before my turn came up.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/18/2006, 11:05 AM
FWIW, I have been to all three of the Golden Palaces. The one on Meridian is the best of the three because of the way they cut the meat on the Mongorian BBQ

reevie
3/18/2006, 12:27 PM
The only Chinese Buffet I've found that I like was in Warrensburg, MO.

SOONER44EVER
3/18/2006, 12:31 PM
My wife told me a few years ago a Chinese place in Duncan got shut down for serving dog meat. Seriously! :eek:

SOONER44EVER
3/18/2006, 07:17 PM
My wife said the owner of the restaurant got pulled over for something and had 4 dead dogs in the back of his SUV. :eek:

bigdsooner
3/18/2006, 07:24 PM

what about china star in broken arrow (71st & 145th). i havent ate there in awhile, but i thought it was pretty good...either that or i like crappy chinese food

Mjcpr
3/18/2006, 07:33 PM
what about china star in broken arrow (71st & 145th). i havent ate there in awhile, but i thought it was pretty good...either that or i like crappy chinese food

Eh, it's about like most I'd say. To me, the buffets all taste the same. It's alright and it'll fill you up (shut it) but it's just meh. I've been looking for the good stuff for a while just because I'm getting tired of the buffet-type Chinese food. The last time I was at China Star/King or whatever, I thought it was dirty. The bathrooms, around the booths, it just wasn't that clean looking to me and that's a freakin' turnoff, man.

bigdsooner
3/18/2006, 08:50 PM
Eh, it's about like most I'd say. To me, the buffets all taste the same. It's alright and it'll fill you up (shut it) but it's just meh. I've been looking for the good stuff for a while just because I'm getting tired of the buffet-type Chinese food. The last time I was at China Star/King or whatever, I thought it was dirty. The bathrooms, around the booths, it just wasn't that clean looking to me and that's a freakin' turnoff, man.

maybe another place, china star bathrooms are away from seating, its been 6-8 months since i last ate there so they may have done some remodeling. this might sound nasty to you, or some others, but i like the japanese restaurant at woodland hills. they have the best bourbon chicken ive ever eaten..or kitty, whatever ya wanna call it

Mjcpr
3/18/2006, 10:18 PM
It's Bourbon Baby and it's quite good.

bigdsooner
3/18/2006, 11:17 PM
It's Bourbon Baby and it's quite good.

:D

yes it is