PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Wrestling Championships

MiccoMacey
3/17/2006, 12:32 AM
Not too shabby after the first two rounds. We're in a three way tie for second with Edinboro and Iowa, with OSU in a large lead, but this isn't including the last consolation round.

125 - Sammy is awesome. Beat his first kid, and pinned his second. He's a two seed and might be our first finalist.

141 - Teyon looked gassed in his first match, but it may have been nerves and pressure. He does just enough to win, and he advanced to the quarterfinals pretty easily.

149 - Storniolo looks good. He's a fourth seed and has looked impressive in his two wins. He should meet Dustin Sclatter in the semis if he can get past the 5 seed tomorrow morning.

157 - Willie Rowe beat the 12th seed from Michigan, but lost to the 5th seed after that. He has a tough draw, I believe in the next round (don't remember who...I don't have the brackets in front of me and I'm going off memory only).

174 - Roberts has looked good, but lost in the second round to Askren 6-4. He ALMOST put Askren on his back (probably should have been two nearfall) after an early first period takedown and I thought for a second he was going to get him. But he just didn't have the gas.

184 - Dyer looked pathetic in getting pinned his first match, but won his second.

197 - Flaggert looked good in his two wins, but faces Rosholt tomorrow morning.

HWT - Hagar looked good in his first two wins, but faces Mocco tomorrow morning.

All in all, not too bad. I'll try to post after the semi's late tomorrow night.

ouflak
3/17/2006, 06:05 AM
Hmmm... Could do some damage here...

stonecoldsoonerfan
3/17/2006, 06:45 AM
125 - Sammy is awesome. Beat his first kid, and pinned his second. He's a two seed and might be our first finalist.

141 - He (teyon) does just enough to win, and he advanced to the quarterfinals pretty easily.

agree with both of these. with a liiiiittle bit of luck, we'll have 2 national champs. teyon seems to do just enough to win sometimes. i hope that someone trips up nate gallick from iowa state that's in his bracket. fat chance, though. for those of you who didn't see it, the match they had in the big 12 finals was verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry close. verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry close indeed. i'm sure it will be a war if they meet in the finals. i would think that gallick would be HIGHLY motivated after losing to ware last year if they met. i think that that was the only time that ware has beaten gallick ever. i think he's like 1-8 against him. of course, the one time he beat him was for an ncaa championship. :D

Jay C. Upchurch
3/18/2006, 09:19 AM
Ware Reaches NCAA Finals
OU earns five All-American honors

OKLAHOMA CITY — Two-time National Champion Teyon Ware advanced once again to the finals of the 141-pound bracket at the 2006 NCAA Championships Friday evening inside the Ford Center. The Sooners also gained five All-Americans on the day with Sam Hazewinkel, Ware, Matt Storniolo, Joel Flaggert and Jake Hager all garnering the honor.

Hazewinkel now becomes a three-time All-American, Ware a four-time All-American, Storniolo a two-time All-American, Flaggert a two-time All-American and Hager receives the recognition for the first time in his career.

Ware (141 pounds) defeated Cory Cooperman in the semifinals to advance to the championship match. Ware defeated Cooperman by a decision of 2-1, winning by his riding time at the end of the match. Ware has now defeated Cooperman twice this season.

Ware will now wrestle Nate Gallick of Iowa State in the finals on Saturday. Ware and Gallick have met three times this season with Gallick taking all three matches. Their first match came at the NWCA All-Star Classic in Stillwater with Gallick winning by a decision of 3-1. The duo met again in Norman in January with Gallick winning again by a decision of 4-3. The two last met in the finals at the Big 12 Championships two weeks ago with Gallick once again coming out on top by a decision of 5-3.

Gallick leads the all-time series with Ware with a 7-1 lifetime record. Ware’s lone victory came in the 141-pound NCAA final last season with Ware taking a 3-2 decision to claim his second NCAA title.

Sam Hazewinkel and Matt Storniolo both lost their semifinal matches at 125 pounds and 149 pounds, respectively.

Hazewinkel was defeated by Joe Dubuque of Indiana by a decision of 2-1 with riding time being the deciding factor. Hazewinkel will now face Chad Mendes of Cal Poly Saturday morning in the consolation bracket.

Dustin Schlatter of Minnesota defeated Storniolo by a decision of 5-1. Storniolo will now wrestle Jonathan Masa of Hofstra in the 149-pound consolation bracket. Storniolo defeated Masa by a decision of 6-1 in February.

Joel Flaggert won two matches in the consolation bracket at 197 pounds. Flaggert first defeated Dallas Herbst of Wisconsin by a decision of 5-1 and then Ryan Bader of Arizona State by a decision of 9-4. Flaggert will now face Jerry Rinaldi of Cornell on Saturday morning. Flaggert lost to Rinaldi by a decision of 2-1 at the National Duals in January.

Jake Hager defeated Tyler Shovlin of UNC-Greensboro, 9-4, then was defeated by Bode Ogunwole of Harvard by a decision of 3-1 in sudden victory. Hager faces Kirk Nail of Ohio State for seventh place Saturday morning.

Saturday’s action begins at 10 a.m. inside the Ford Center with consolation matches. Championship finals begin at 6 p.m.

Team Scores
1. Oklahoma State - 106
2. Minnesota - 72.5
3. Oklahoma - 64.5
4. Iowa - 61.5
5. Arizona State - 56

Individual Results Session One
Weight-By-Weight Results
125: Joe Dubuque (Indiana) dec. 2-1 Sam Hazewinkel (OU)
141: Teyon Ware (OU) dec. 2-1 Cory Cooperman (Lehigh)
149: Dustin Schlatter (Minnesota) dec. 5-1 Matt Storniolo (OU)
197: Joel Flaggert (OU) dec. 5-1 Dallas Herbst (Wisconsin)
197: Joel Flaggert (OU) dec. 9-4 Ryan Bader (Arizona State)
HWT: Jake Hager (OU) dec. 9-4 Tyler Shovlin (UNC-Greensboro)
HWT: Bode Ogunwole (Harvard) dec. 3-1Jake Hager (OU) SV

For more information on OU wrestling, visit www.SoonerSports.com

OU SID

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/18/2006, 08:22 PM
Gallick just beat Ware.

Duke o Brewery
3/18/2006, 08:43 PM
Holy God. Did you see 'ol Danny Hodge just CRUSH an apple with only his bare hand?! In his seventies! Imagine the power he must have had on the mat!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/18/2006, 09:02 PM
Well the ref just handed the 167? title to the aggy, only gave 2 back points to Michigan, when I thought there was a pin, and gave the aggy an out of bounds takedown.