PDA

View Full Version : I got a sweet new book today

royalfan5
3/16/2006, 08:07 PM
About the Battle of Jutland, the 20th centuries only gunnery battle between two legit naval powers top fleets. It pretty nifty and comprehensive.

TUSooner
3/16/2006, 08:36 PM
About the Battle of Jutland, the 20th centuries only gunnery battle between two legit naval powers top fleets. It pretty nifty and comprehensive.
Author? Title?

We used to play the Jutland game with the little carboard rectangles for ships and stuff. A combination of battleship and dice. Good times.

Okla-homey
3/16/2006, 08:42 PM
Let me know who the author thought won.

The krauts claim a victory and so do the Brits.

me? I say since the kraut fleet never again sallied forth to engage the RN, the Brits won.

Just saying.

Jerk
3/16/2006, 08:42 PM
I played, too, in a creek behind my house when I was a kid. I filled my little brother's aircraft carrier up with gunpowder and a few primers, and installed an improvised fuse.

It looked like a scene from the movie Midway! Well, no, not really, but it was cool. I should have filled it full of ants, too.

royalfan5
3/16/2006, 08:47 PM
Author? Title?

We used to play the Jutland game with the little carboard rectangles for ships and stuff. A combination of battleship and dice. Good times.
Jutland 1916: Death in the Grey Wastes by Nigel Steel and Peter Hart

TUSooner
3/16/2006, 08:50 PM

me? I say since the kraut fleet never again sallied forth to engage the RN, the Brits won.

Just saying.
I agree. (So you MUST be right.)

royalfan5
3/16/2006, 08:54 PM

Just saying.
I tend agree with that, and I am betting the book will say that too since it was written by Brits. I have another book on the Jutland coming too, I picked it up cheap on the used market. I always like to have two books on a subject to see the differences in perception. It always amazed me that the Brits had such trouble with the magazines blowing up do to design flaw, at Jutland and later when the Bismarck sent the Hood to the bottom. It should be noted the German Battle Cruiser's (In General I think the Battle Cruiser was a bad idea, European nations loved them more than the U.S. but we still commisioned a couple during WWII) had the same flaw but they caught it a Dogger Bank, when Seydiltz was hit but managed to flood the magazine in time.

TUSooner
3/16/2006, 08:54 PM
I played, too, in a creek behind my house when I was a kid. I filled my little brother's aircraft carrier up with gunpowder and a few primers, and installed an improvised fuse.

It looked like a scene from the movie Midway! Well, no, not really, but it was cool. I should have filled it full of ants, too.

I had an ME-109 that suffered a similar fate.-- crashed on a creekbank near the house. The pilot...well, he melted into a little bubbling black puddle. Very sad.
And the USS WASHINGTON exploded, capsized, burned and sank in the swimming pool. Ants would have been a nice touch; wish I'd thought of it.

TUSooner
3/16/2006, 08:58 PM
Oh yeah, last year or so KaiserSooner (I think) recommended a couple of books by Robert Massey: Dreadnought and Castles of Steel; both were excellent and had tons of background about the naval arms race etc.

SoonerProphet
3/16/2006, 09:01 PM
crossing the t.

Okla-homey
3/16/2006, 09:03 PM
Jutland lesson #1

armor > speed ... at least in ships of the line.

Jerk
3/16/2006, 09:06 PM
I had an ME-109 that suffered a similar fate.-- crashed on a creekbank near the house. The pilot...well, he melted into a little bubbling black puddle. Very sad.
And the USS WASHINGTON exploded, capsized, burned and sank in the swimming pool. Ants would have been a nice touch; wish I'd thought of it.

Ants would do well in simulating the "abandon ship" part. Kind of like in the movie Das Boot when those poor mariners are jumping off the burning ship.

TUSooner
3/16/2006, 09:10 PM
crossing the t.
Wrong century maybe, but good nonetheless.:)

royalfan5
3/19/2006, 10:51 PM
I started the book this afternoon. They way the set things up is intersting because they use first hand interviews from both SMS and HMS ships, and they do a good job using the interviews to tell story, and setting up those accounts with reseach. The account of 1 of the 2 survivors from the Indefatigable, and the reactions of the other British to it's loss it is very revealing.