PDA

View Full Version : Question: what if OK made people who had DUI/DWI convictions...

Okla-homey
3/16/2006, 06:45 PM
put a sticker over the indian shield on their car tag so we could all steer clear of them on the weekends? Also, the cops could keep a special look out for them.

I think it might be a good idea.

round green sticker for first - third convictions.

round yellow sticker for third - fifth convictions

round red sticker for >5 convictions.

what say you?

Frozen Sooner
3/16/2006, 06:49 PM
I think you'd be better served to be paying attention to the road and your own driving rather than a little sticker on some dude's license plate.

Okla-homey
3/16/2006, 06:51 PM
I think you'd be better served to be paying attention to the road and your own driving rather than a little sticker on some dude's license plate.

methinks thou dost protest too much.;)

Frozen Sooner
3/16/2006, 06:59 PM
Heh. I don't have a little indian dreamcatcher thing on my license plate. Wouldn't apply to me. ;)

Okla-homey
3/16/2006, 07:05 PM
Heh. I don't have a little indian dreamcatcher thing on my license plate. Wouldn't apply to me. ;)

okay, we'll just make you wear a hat in the appropriate color.;)

VeeJay
Don't most places give you a five year suspension for the 2nd offense, and a lifetime suspension after three?

Something like that...

I just know if I had been collared every time I've driven intoxylyzed, I'd have been executed long ago.

mdklatt
round red sticker for >5 convictions.

Wouldn't these people be locked up already? :eek:

Since drunk drivers pose more of a threat to me personally than sex offenders I'm all for it. However, it needs to be done in a way that identifies the driver and not the vehicle.

MojoRisen
3/16/2006, 07:07 PM
Ohio already does it- they make your entire license plate orange. Now I feel that is a little too much- b/c it can really have an effect on peoples lives to the point of getting fired etc etc. and with the law being .8 you don't have to be lit up to get a DUI- you know 3-4 beers in a short period of time could do it ie. 6.0 beers.

If you want people who make a mistake to pay the fine- do probation etc and or jail time I agree- but don't make it where they can't reform and end up going off the deep end- and start being a real criminial because the lost their job and can't pay their bills and stuff- and that is happening out there so- I say NAY - 10 days in Jail- and 2500 min in fines and lawyer cost and court cost is likely pretty steep for a DUI.

Okla-homey
3/16/2006, 07:08 PM
I dunno stats about repeat offenders on the road, but you see stuff in the paper about "Joey Bagadonuts who killed a family of six from Oolagah was driving on a suspended license and had 17 DUI's" etc.

MojoRisen
3/16/2006, 07:11 PM
Yeah- I think if you get two or three in less than 5 years it is a Felony know and you will most certainly will go to Jail....

But if they get one- I don't think you should make it too the point that they can function in society because people see their scarlot letter- Also I think the Breathilizers to start your car are much more effective than a scarlet A.

What are you thoughts on that. It can also be more discreet- ultimately we still want people to pay taxes and be good citizens even if they get in trouble. Correct?

Frozen Sooner
3/16/2006, 07:11 PM
To be fair, if they were from Oolagah they probably had it coming.

Okla-homey
3/16/2006, 07:12 PM
If you want people who make a mistake to pay the fine- do probation etc and or jail time I agree- but don't make it where they can't reform and end up going off the deep end- and start being a real criminial because the lost their job and can't pay their bills and stuff- and that is happening out there so- I say NAY - 10 days in Jail- and 2500 min in fines and lawyer cost and court cost is likely pretty steep for a DUI.

but repeat offenders? I mean...sheesh. Okay, you get one freebie, then the sticker goes on after the second. How about that?

MojoRisen
3/16/2006, 07:13 PM
but repeat offenders? I mean...sheesh. Okay, you get one freebie, then the sticker goes on after the second. How about that?

That is fair.

Okla-homey
3/16/2006, 07:13 PM
Yeah- I think if you get two or three in less than 5 years it is a Felony know and you will most certainly will go to Jail....

It really depends on your lawyer, or lack thereof.;)

Okla-homey
3/16/2006, 07:15 PM
The other good thing about it would be you'd be able to pull into any parking lot and immediately spot the partyers...which is a plus.:D

MojoRisen
3/16/2006, 07:16 PM
If your a copper :)

mdklatt
3/16/2006, 07:17 PM
If your a copper :)

Or looking for drunk chicks to nail. :texan:

SicEmBaylor
3/16/2006, 07:19 PM
What exactly is the difference between a DUI and a DWI?

OklahomaTrombone
3/16/2006, 07:22 PM
For a while the TPD was putting orange stickers on car tags outside some bars/clubs that way they knew to try to pull them when they saw them on the road.

Okla-homey
3/16/2006, 07:23 PM

DWI (driving while intoxicated) worse than DUI (Driving under the influence)

Jimminy Crimson
3/16/2006, 07:25 PM
For a while the TPD was putting orange stickers on car tags outside some bars/clubs that way they knew to try to pull them when they saw them on the road.

Law.

suit.

:mack:

royalfan5
3/16/2006, 07:28 PM
In Nebraska DWI is old offical term, and DUI is new offical term.

SicEmBaylor
3/16/2006, 07:28 PM
DWI (driving while intoxicated) worse than DUI (Driving under the influence)

Well I know that but I mean what's the practical difference.

A DUI is when you're just over the legal limit and DWI means you're totally sloshed?

mdklatt
3/16/2006, 07:32 PM
A DUI is when you're just over the legal limit and DWI means you're totally sloshed?

The way I've heard it explained before, they can get you for DUI if you've had any alcohol (or any other drug) and it's effecting your driving ability. DWI is once you've crossed the limit.

I've also seen "DUI" insteadof "DWI" and vice versa, depending on the state. (See Royalfan's post about Nebraska).

:confused:

GottaHavePride
3/16/2006, 07:37 PM
Well I know that but I mean what's the practical difference.

At least some places they can drag you in on a DUI for any suspicion, and it'll stick if you're over .08, but if you test over (usually) .15 they can bump it up to DWI and crazy-higher fines.

skycat
3/16/2006, 08:48 PM
Would there be any kind of time limit? If somebody got 2 or 3 in college, would they still have the sticker when they were 40? 60?

I always feel uneasy about things like this. I guess I feel like there aught to be some way for people to pay their debt to society and put the past behind them.

On the other hand, I certainly understand the desire for things like this.

In other words, I'm not sure how I feel one way or the other.

Ike
3/16/2006, 10:41 PM
a sticker that sticks with a person for life? no, I think thats patently wrong, regardless of how many a person has had. I belive in paying your debt to society and then being back to 'even' as it were. Permanent stickers don't allow a person to get back to even.

MojoRisen
3/16/2006, 10:43 PM
Even a year- can be detrimental- discreet is the answer- breathilizers- for mutliple offenders.

skycat
3/16/2006, 10:43 PM
Ike's convinced me. Put me down for a no.

SicEmBaylor
3/16/2006, 10:54 PM
Okay just for clarification I asked my blood sucking lawyer friend the difference.

With a DUI you can be UNDER the legal alcohol limit but can be pulled over if the cops think that the alcohol has affected your ability to drive.

A DWI means you're over the legal limit.

MojoRisen
3/16/2006, 10:57 PM
They are ussually one in the same...

royalfan5
3/16/2006, 10:58 PM
Okay just for clarification I asked my blood sucking lawyer friend the difference.

With a DUI you can be UNDER the legal alcohol limit but can be pulled over if the cops think that the alcohol has affected your ability to drive.

A DWI means you're over the legal limit.
How do they determine your guilty of a DUI then if your below the legal limit?

Also a side note, I didn't realize how non-chalant about alcohol we are up here before learning about all your extra rules.

MojoRisen
3/16/2006, 11:03 PM
They ussually don't if you are under the legal limit in a field test - they dont bother- if you are stumbling drunk and don't take the field test - could be the difference.

Sometimes- they will say when did you have your last beer- and if it was 45 minutes ago and you blow a .06- they bust you and see if you can get a lawyer.

Hope that helps

Okla-homey
3/17/2006, 05:20 AM
a sticker that sticks with a person for life? no, I think thats patently wrong, regardless of how many a person has had. I belive in paying your debt to society and then being back to 'even' as it were. Permanent stickers don't allow a person to get back to even.

okay, 3 years w/out a DUI/DWI conviction would mean your car tag's indian shield thingy could be sticker-free. zat okay?

BoogercountySooner
3/17/2006, 06:46 AM
That would be OK. I think that lawyers should put stickers on there vehicles that say "Crook on Board"! ;)

1stTimeCaller
3/17/2006, 08:50 AM
point of order here.

In Oklahoma there are three alcohol offenses you can commit while driving, assuming you don't hurt/kill anyone. DWI is greater than .06 but less than .08. DUI is .08 to .1499999 and aggravated DUI is .15 and above.

DWI < DUI < Aggravated DUI - in Oklahoma

Beef
3/17/2006, 10:09 AM
I dunno stats about repeat offenders on the road, but you see stuff in the paper about "Joey Bagadonuts who killed a family of six from Oolagah was driving on a suspended license and had 17 DUI's" etc.
The stories about the thousands of people who get a DUI and never do it again are rather boring.

Veritas
3/17/2006, 10:23 AM
point of order here.

In Oklahoma there are three alcohol offenses you can commit while driving, assuming you don't hurt/kill anyone. DWI is greater than .06 but less than .08. DUI is .08 to .1499999 and aggravated DUI is .15 and above.

DWI < DUI < Aggravated DUI - in Oklahoma
.06? Are you frickin' kidding me?

Ok, put me down as being against drunk driving, but "drunk" is the keyword there.

I need to dig up the stats I read somewhere on what bull**** it was to lower the standards from .10 to .08, how fatalities and accidents weren't related to drivers with BAC < .15, how they WERE related to, you know, actual "drunk" drivers (0.15 and greater). MADD gone wild, IMO.

Okla-homey
3/17/2006, 10:29 AM

Ok, put me down as being against drunk driving, but "drunk" is the keyword there.

I need to dig up the stats I read somewhere on what bull**** it was to lower the standards from .10 to .08, how fatalities and accidents weren't related to drivers with BAC < .15, how they WERE related to, you know, actual "drunk" drivers (0.15 and greater). MADD gone wild, IMO.

I've driven when sick and therefore at least as "influenced" as .06.:eek:

Pricetag
3/17/2006, 01:58 PM

Yeah. The .08 is a joke already, but .06 is just ludicrous. I don't think the police give out very many DWIs. In the paper, it lists the DUIs and DWIs, and the DWIs are few and far between.

1stTimeCaller
3/17/2006, 02:02 PM
Yeah. The .08 is a joke already, but .06 is just ludicrous. I don't think the police give out very many DWIs. In the paper, it lists the DUIs and DWIs, and the DWIs are few and far between.

I don't know the stats but a friend of mine did the field sobriety tests and 'failed' all three. He was cuffed and stuffed and taken to the Grady County jail where he proceeded to blow a .04 on the intoxilizer. He said that the cop was ****ed off when he had to take him back to his car.

Ike
3/17/2006, 02:11 PM
okay, 3 years w/out a DUI/DWI conviction would mean your car tag's indian shield thingy could be sticker-free. zat okay?

I don't know if 3 years is too long or not enough, and we don't want this to just devolve into a discussion of what time period is appropriate, but in principle, I wouldn't have a whole lot of argument against an expiring sticker. At least not right now. I do however reserve the right to change my mind about it after further contemplation.

1stTimeCaller
3/17/2006, 02:14 PM
On a side note, an insurance lady told me that the majority of people that get arrested for a DUI get another within 5 years. She didn't give me any %.
Also my insurance went up from $650/six months to $2100/six months. They stay on your insurance for three years.

sooneron
3/17/2006, 02:28 PM
:eddie::eddie::eddie::eddie::eddie::eddie::eddie:: eddie::eddie::eddie::eddie::eddie::eddie::eddie::e ddie::eddie::eddie::eddie::eddie::eddie::eddie::ed die::eddie::eddie::eddie::eddie::eddie::eddie::edd ie::eddie::eddie:
This should be the sticker

Nab'R
3/17/2006, 02:39 PM
If you know the consequences beforehand, you'll be less likely to do the crime. Bring on the sticker. There's no excuse for driving after drinking.

Especially with all the free ride things around.