PDA

View Full Version : Number of 2006 D1 recruits by state

The VIIIth
3/16/2006, 04:16 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Special Report: Origins of DIA Talent

Brett Brackett By FOS Staff
www.FightOnState.com
Date: Mar 14, 2006

For the past six years, Front Range, a mainstay of PSU's online community, has conducted the Annual Recruiting Survey, which breaks down the origins of football talent across the nation. This year Texas regained the national title as leading producer of DI football players, ahead of California. See where the rest of the states ended up, including Pennsylvania.

The compilation is complete for the 2006 recruiting season and the biggest producer of talent this year was, again, Texas. The total Division 1A recruits for the Lone Star State increased by 30 from last season, to 355. California was again in second place with 316 recruits, just one more above last year's count. Florida closed the gap, with 39 more this season than last, up to 290 recruits.
See the 2005 Annual Recruiting Survey

The top 10 was shaken up somewhat this season, with Mississippi and North Carolina replacing Louisiana and New Jersey. The drop-off for Louisiana recruits was interesting (62 to 50), very possibly reflecting the dispersal of recruits by Hurricane Katrina. It’s very possible that some former Louisianans appear as recruits from some other state, as the research couldn’t display this phenomenon.

In general, even more so than last year, the availability of data on the Internet has made the sixth annual survey the most reliable yet. Only one recruit – a product of the Fork Union Military Academy - could not be attributed to a high school. All junior college transfers were assigned to a high school with the resources available online, such as individual team profiles and junior college team rosters.

The same exceptions apply this year as in the past. The service academies are not included because their recruits are not announced. As in the past, the Sun Belt Conference is not included for three main reasons. First, the conference generally does not compare with the other D1 conferences competitively (admittedly a value judgment on the part of the author). Second, every year a number of Sun Belt teams report recruit lists that include upwards of 32 or 33 recruits. Third, it hasn’t been done before so we now have a database consistency without that conference. The omission of the Sun Belt keeps the survey consistent with those done in previous seasons.

One notable observation is the addition of two Florida programs to that conference which has undoubtedly increased the total for the state of Florida.

Here is a list of the total number of commitments per state for the Class of 2006:

1. Texas 355
2. California 316
3. Florida 290
4. Georgia 138
5. Ohio 126
6. Alabama 78
7. Pennsylvania 71
8. Illinois 64
9. Mississippi 61
10. North Carolina 53
11. Virginia 52
11. Oklahoma 52
13. New Jersey 50
13. Louisiana 50
15. Michigan 49
16. Tennessee 43
17. Maryland 37
17. Arizona 37
19. New York 36
20. Colorado 35
21. South Carolina 33
22. Hawai’i 30
23. Missouri 27
23. Washington 27
25. Indiana 26
26. Utah 24
27. Kentucky 21
28. Wisconsin 18
29. Minnesota 17
30. Nevada 16
31. Arkansas
31. Connecticut 14
31. Massachusetts 14
34. Kansas 12
35. Nebraska 9
35. New Mexico 9
35. Oregon 9
38. Idaho 8
38. Iowa 8
40. Distric of Columbia 4
41. Delaware 3
41. Wyoming 3
43. New Hampshire 2
43. West Virginia 2
45. Alaska 1
45. South Dakota 1
47. Maine 0
47. Montana 0
47. North Dakota 0
47. Rhode Island
47. Vermont

Six Year Rankings

The rankings of our Annual Recruiting Survey have been relatively consistent through the years. With six years worth of data, it’s interesting to see how the states rank over that period of time.

Here is how the top 14 states have stacked up over the past six years:

1. California 1900
2. Texas 1878
3. Florida 1373
4. Ohio 758
5. Georgia 696
6. Pennsylvania 423
7. Alabama 422
8. Michigan 390
9. Louisiana 377
10. Illinois 354
11. Mississippi 330
12. New Jersey 320
13. North Carolina 306
14. Virginia 284

BASSooner
3/16/2006, 04:27 PM
I am not a bit surprised of Texas having the most D1 players. I live there. I've seen a lot of those guys play. They're amazing. The state of texas takes the sport of football very seriously. People down here go to high school football games and treat it as an NFL game. Texas is just a football state. Even though I am a sooner fan, I do love the state of texas very much, just not any of the teams down here.

sooneron
3/16/2006, 04:35 PM
Over 6 years, I am amazed that Fla doesn't have more.

Impressive for OK considering population and the company we're in.
We're tied with VA, yet we have less than half the pop. that they have.

The VIIIth
3/16/2006, 04:43 PM
KS surprised me, especially with only 12 players this signing period.

In some ways it doesn't come as a shock. The old adage what you emphasize is what you accomplish rings true here. Kansas kids are still playing flag football in the 7th grade, Texas kids are playing YMCA six man tackle ball in the 4th grade.

It's a bad precedent to set, reaching for a flag instead of blowing someone up.

SoonerInKCMO
3/16/2006, 08:45 PM
OK - I'm too lazy to get the table I had look right... anyway, here are the states ordered by population/recruit... just trust me on the numbers.

Hawai’i
Mississippi
Florida
Alabama
Texas
Georgia
Oklahoma
Louisiana
Ohio
Utah
California
South Carolina
Colorado
Nevada
Tennessee
Virginia
Arizona
DC
Maryland
North Carolina
Idaho
Wyoming
New Jersey
Pennsylvania
Arkansas
Nebraska
Kentucky
Illinois
New Mexico
Michigan
Missouri
Washington
Kansas
Indiana
Connecticut
Delaware
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Iowa
Oregon
Massachusetts
New York
New Hampshire
Alaska
South Dakota
West Virginia
Maine
Montana
North Dakota
Rhode Island
Vermont

CatfishSooner
3/16/2006, 10:24 PM
i don't trust you...

IB4OU
3/17/2006, 03:31 PM
[QUOTE=The VIIIth]Texas kids are playing YMCA six man tackle ball in the 4th grade.[QUOTE]

I'm not sure if it's state wide or not but I know in the Tulsa area Kids can play 11 man tackle with Indian Nations Football starting at 1st grade.

In order to be a coach, INF made us take a class to get certified. They made a big deal about how starting tackle football so early was a big factor with the level of Oklahoma football (Jenks and Rocky Calmus to be more specific). So it's been available at least since Rocky was in 1st grade.

In Skiatook, it was a big debate between Indian Nations and the Booster club. The Booster club plays flag for 1st and 2nd grade and then tackle starting 3rd grade. Booster club supporters said that it was way too early to start tackle and that Flag was the best way to learn the fundamentals. The only problem with that theory is that tackling is one of the most important fundamentals of the game...

TXBOOMER
3/17/2006, 04:28 PM
[QUOTE=IB4OU][QUOTE=The VIIIth]Texas kids are playing YMCA six man tackle ball in the 4th grade.[QUOTE]

When I went to school we started full pad school sponsored football in the 5th grade, in Oklahoma. I'm pretty sure they play little league football much younger (full pads) now. I watch high school football a bunch on both sides of the river and I think if anything my fellow Okies take it at least as serious as the texans.

No matter when you start, talent is more about genetics than anything. There are plenty of examples of people starting to play football as Seniors in high school or even in college. I started playing in 5th grade, had a big heart and good work ethic and was nothing more than an average football player.

william_brasky
3/19/2006, 07:03 AM
IMO the big things are coaching, money, and just volume of kids.

Alot of FB Coaches in TX make a sh1tload of money, don't have to teach, and only run their respective FB programs. Many of these coaches played D1 ball. Most of the bigger school facilites are incredible. Jenks and Union's facilites may be comparable. I said "may." 2 schools versus about 100.

The kids train year round. They receive great coaching. These kids are very well-schooled in football. They know technique and terminology. They're lifting and running year round.

You can't tell me there aren't kids in Vermont and South Dakota with just as much natural ability as kids in Texas.

None of this post is based in fact. Just ramblin'.

soonerboy_odanorth
3/20/2006, 10:56 AM
I thought the very most surprising was Nebraska. Only 9? I would have thought there would be more than twice that in just the Omaha area with as seriously as they take football. And what the heck happened to all those scores of big 'ol farm-boy linemen that state used to churn out?

That's a head scratcher.