PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Sooner Men on a GREAT season.

oumartin
3/16/2006, 02:43 PM
Once again they have accomplished what all OU basketball fans want.
They won 20 games and earned a trip to the NCAA tourney.

Once again.
Congratulations

OUstud
3/16/2006, 02:43 PM
Meh.

IronSooner
3/16/2006, 02:46 PM
blerg.

snp
3/16/2006, 02:51 PM
Returning the 3 best starters and adding an incredible shooter and still flopping doesn't get a congratulations from me.

Thanks for holding me over until football.

colleyvillesooner
3/16/2006, 02:52 PM
<yawn>

ouradu
3/16/2006, 02:52 PM
and if the sunshine pumpers have it their way, we'll just sit on this great success and not get any better.

ouflak
3/16/2006, 02:54 PM
and if the sunshine pumpers have it their way, we'll just sit on this great success and not get any better.

If we have it our way, the women are going to win the National Championship.

oumartin
3/16/2006, 02:55 PM
If we have it our way, the women are going to win the National Championship

oh hell yeah!

ouradu
3/16/2006, 02:58 PM
wow, don't even remember we have a men's team?

Go women, but I checked, and they don't play until Saturday, which is when the men should be playing, but aren't. Why is that? Should we not have been one of the 32 best teams this year with the talent we had?

kelloggOUballa
3/16/2006, 03:08 PM
sunshine pumper is better than criticism....there's enough criticism from UT fans and such, why don't you root for the Longhorns? Sure we all want to win, and a lot of the time we should, but regardless, they wear Oklahoma on their jerseys, Congrats on a great season Sooners!

boomersooner28
3/16/2006, 03:09 PM
When do the men play?

NormanPride
3/16/2006, 03:15 PM
Man, you'd think martin likes this, with the way he lights up every time we lose.

oumartin
3/16/2006, 03:17 PM
I am not happy with a loss, not happy with the idea of a coaching change.
I would be happy though if present coach would change up his philosophy.
this is not the way to win a N.C.

Maybe I'm more negative than I should be but this crap thats on the court...er.. was on the court makes me sick.

milwsport
3/16/2006, 03:17 PM
I'm a UWM Fan from Milwaukee, who dropped by to say that OU fans have nothing to be ashamed of.

You faced a very talented, veteran team that has great quickness and really great chemistry. Complain about your game plan if you want but you don't change your style of play in a tourney. Our style matched up well against yours. It wasn't the refs, or your coach or your players. It was two good teams playing each other and one was better today than the other one was.

I read some of that long thread and I was just amazed and somewhat saddened by all the rips on your team, coach and players. Those guys are doing something that few if any of the naysayers have ever done, they are playing Divison I basketball, and playing it well.

Beyond that they are wearing Oklahoma uniforms. That alone should merit some respect from OU fans. To be honest if i was a potential recruit after reading some of the comments, I'd go elsewhere.

Best of luck to you all and I hope that despite this loss you'll ease up on the people playing their hearts out to make you proud.

PS Thanks to the OU fans who came by our fan forum. I hope you'll continue to visit us.

Tiptonsooner
3/16/2006, 03:18 PM
When do the men play?

Not today:mad:

Soonerborn03
3/16/2006, 03:22 PM
If we have it our way, the women are going to win the National Championship.Here here! The band is flying out to Denver early tomorrow morning, and I can't freakin' wait. The weather sucks in Denver right now, but being in San Antonio next week should make up for it ;)

colleyvillesooner
3/16/2006, 03:25 PM
I'm a UWM Fan from Milwaukee, who dropped by to say that OU fans have nothing to be ashamed of.

You faced a very talented, veteran team that has great quickness and really great chemistry. Complain about your game plan if you want but you don't change your style of play in a tourney. Our style matched up well against yours. It wasn't the refs, or your coach or your players. It was two good teams playing each other and one was better today than the other one was.

I read some of that long thread and I was just amazed and somewhat saddened by all the rips on your team, coach and players. Those guys are doing something that few if any of the naysayers have ever done, they are playing Divison I basketball, and playing it well.

Beyond that they are wearing Oklahoma uniforms. That alone should merit some respect from OU fans. To be honest if i was a potential recruit after reading some of the comments, I'd go elsewhere.

Best of luck to you all and I hope that despite this loss you'll ease up on the people playing their hearts out to make you proud.

PS Thanks to the OU fans who came by our fan forum. I hope you'll continue to visit us.

Odds this is a real UWM fan?

IF so, awesome, congrats on the win.

If not, wow.

boomersooner28
3/16/2006, 03:28 PM

Yes you are correct..but you must realize that we are spoiled A-hole hillbillies. We expect to win everything, at all times...just part of being a Sooner fan. And if recruits can't handle the pressure than we don't want them anyhow...sorry if I come accross arrogant.

OU4LIFE
3/16/2006, 03:28 PM
I think the women winning it all might be a bit of a stretch, not that they can't, but I'd consider anything after the sweet 16 a huge success for these girls. Where they came from to where they are now is light years difference.

and not to bag on Sampson too much, but look at Coale and Stoops, they continually get more out of their teams than Kelvin seems to.

sooneron
3/16/2006, 03:33 PM
I think the women winning it all might be a bit of a stretch, not that they can't, but I'd consider anything after the sweet 16 a huge success for these girls. Where they came from to where they are now is light years difference.

and not to bag on Sampson too much, but look at Coale and Stoops, they continually get more out of their teams than Kelvin seems to.
More out of their team?
I would say that the football season at 8-4 is equivalent to 20 wins, it's too bad we can't go out with a win in a bowl game in basketball. Coales has had two really good classes in here. Not taking anything away from them, but when Sherri has the #1 player in the country (Inarguably) they'd better step up.

Scott D
3/16/2006, 03:33 PM
to be fair 4life, Coale and Stoops can also recruit the top players in their respective sports in the nation.

milwsport
3/16/2006, 03:35 PM
Odds this is a real UWM fan?

IF so, awesome, congrats on the win.

If not, wow.

Thanks and yes I'm a real UWM Fan. Born and raised in Milwaukee and still live there.

Season ticket holder who bleeds black and gold.

Some of your guys, real classy fans by the way, came by our board earlier in the week and we've been posting to each other. I just thought I'd return the favor.

NormanPride
3/16/2006, 03:40 PM
Thanks and yes I'm a real UWM Fan. Born and raised in Milwaukee and still live there.

Some of your guys, real classy fans by the way, came by our board earlier in the week and we've been posting to each other. I just thought I'd return the favor.

I was gonna chew you out for coming over and trying to talk sense. But I can't be mad at you guys, all you did was win.

No, I'm mad at the team. We've seen them play much, much better, and it's really frustrating to go out like this. No offense to you guys, as you played very, very well.. but we expect more.

OU4LIFE
3/16/2006, 03:47 PM
to be fair 4life, Coale and Stoops can also recruit the top players in their respective sports in the nation.

I agree, and Kelvin has recruited ok, but Bob and Sherri sure seems to get more out of the role players than Kelvin does. But that's just my opinion.

oumartin
3/16/2006, 03:49 PM
I agree, and Kelvin has recruited ok, but Bob and Sherri sure seems to get more players to stay than Kelvin does. But that's just my opinion.

fixed ;)

OUthunder
3/16/2006, 03:50 PM

Once again.
Congratulations

Heh. Heh.

:D

oumartin
3/16/2006, 03:51 PM
Thunder, why u gotta turn all my posts into sarcasm?

;)

colleyvillesooner
3/16/2006, 03:51 PM
fixed ;)

Wrong, see OL.

sooneron
3/16/2006, 03:52 PM
I agree, and Kelvin has recruited ok, but Bob and Sherri sure seem to get more of their players to stay, sans OLinemen, than Kelvin does. But that's just my opinion.
double fixed!

sooneron
Wrong, see OL.
Bastard you beat me to it the cheap way!:texan:

oumartin
damn you both to hell!

GrapevineSooner
3/16/2006, 03:53 PM

First off, congrats on the win.

Secondly, you have to understand the magnitude of the expectations our team had coming into this season. We had come off a regular season Big 12 championship the year before and with the core of our team (Bookout, Gray, Everett, and Godbold) still in tact, we were expected to accomplish even more this season (read Frozen's post from just a few moments ago).

From the way this season has gone, our loss to you guys hardly qualifies as an upset. Compared to last season's success, however, we should have accomplished much, much more IMO.

Good luck in the rest of the tourney.

Scott D
3/16/2006, 03:55 PM
I agree, and Kelvin has recruited ok, but Bob and Sherri sure seems to get more out of the role players than Kelvin does. But that's just my opinion.

Kelvin hasn't had role players since the final four season.

Jimminy Crimson
3/16/2006, 03:55 PM
BOOMER SOONER!

Thanks for the memories Taj, Relly Rell & Book!

sooneron
3/16/2006, 03:56 PM
damn you both to hell!
heh

ouradu
3/16/2006, 03:58 PM
Beyond that they are wearing Oklahoma uniforms. That alone should merit some respect from OU fans. I show them respect by watching every game, being at every home game and screaming my brains out, and cheering like heck for them to win every game. And I went crazy with every 1 point victory. But the reality is this team super underachieved and it's not based on getting outplayed by other teams including milwaukee today, we beat ourselves with stupid, stupid play and a philosophy that makes it more difficult for this team to win than it should be.

sooneron
3/16/2006, 04:04 PM
Beyond that they are wearing Oklahoma uniforms. That alone should merit some respect from OU fans. \
You can't say that to a bunch of angry drunk hillbillies!

btw - good luck in the rest of the tournament. Give'em hell!

milwsport
3/16/2006, 04:05 PM
First off, congrats on the win.

Secondly, you have to understand the magnitude of the expectations our team had coming into this season. We had come off a regular season Big 12 championship the year before and with the core of our team (Bookout, Gray, Everett, and Godbold) still in tact, we were expected to accomplish even more this season (read Frozen's post from just a few moments ago).

From the way this season has gone, our loss to you guys hardly qualifies as an upset. Compared to last season's success, however, we should have accomplished much, much more IMO.

Good luck in the rest of the tourney.

Thanks we will need it playing if we play Florida in Jacksonville. (which we probably will)

I understand expectations. We also expected great things from our team. We returned four starters from last year's team which beat Big East champ, Boston College and SEC Champ in the Big Dance before finally falling in a hard fought game to NCAA finalist Illinois. At times this year, it didn't look like we'd win our conference but I never saw comments like the ones here on our board.

We're not a football school, (we have the Wisconsin Badgers for that) but we are emerging on the national scene as a basketball power (our soccer team is nationally ranked, year in and year out and we do well at times in baseball too so it's not like we aren't used to success too.

Some of your fans need to remember these are kids. I'm sure they wanted to keep playing and did all they could, unfortuantely for them, our guys did all they could too.

NormanPride
3/16/2006, 04:10 PM
Thanks we will need it playing if we play Florida in Jacksonville. (which we probably will)

I understand expectations. We also expected great things from our team. We returned four starters from last year's team which beat Big East champ, Boston College and SEC Champ in the Big Dance before finally falling in a hard fought game to NCAA finalist Illinois. At times this year, it didn't look like we'd win our conference but I never saw comments like the ones here on our board.

We're not a football school, (we have the Wisconsin Badgers for that) but we are emerging on the national scene as a basketball power (our soccer team is nationally ranked, year in and year out and we do well at times in baseball too so it's not like we aren't used to success too.

Some of your fans need to remember these are kids. I'm sure they wanted to keep playing and did all they could, unfortuantely for them, our guys did all they could too.

Stop cheering me UP!

Seriously, though. If you'd seen all the tough losses and bad play, you'd understand. We've been positive, even when barely squeaking by at home against bad teams. This is just the end of a frustrating season, and we need to let it out.

Good luck to you guys. As I'm watching the Fla game, I'm thinking we may have been beaten by a Sweet 16 team. :D

sooneron
3/16/2006, 04:12 PM
Stop cheering me UP!

Seriously, though. If you'd seen all the tough losses and bad play, you'd understand. We've been positive, even when barely squeaking by at home against bad teams. This is just the end of a frustrating season, and we need to let it out.

Good luck to you guys. As I'm watching the Fla game, I'm thinking we may have been beaten by a Sweet 16 team. :D
Positive??? C'mon Pinocchio your nose must be sore pressed up against the screen the way it is right now.

sooneron
3/16/2006, 04:14 PM
I miss Hollis.

MojoRisen
3/16/2006, 04:15 PM
Some of your fans need to remember these are kids. I'm sure they wanted to keep playing and did all they could, unfortuantely for them, our guys did all they could too.[/QUOTE]

My friend, some poeple are ready for change, no rephrase it- everybody is ready for change- some see it in a new coach and some hold out hope that Kelvin will adjust his style. We have lost some good players over the years to transfers- and the style of basketball is less than desired for OU tradition.

I have no hard feelings for our players other than they just didn't have it- the lack of focuss- all year. You can not expect a good fan to take it and swollow pride because the kids did thier best- We know that they did not all year long- I respect them all and wish them the best in the future. I would look to the leader of this team for the let downs and frustration/lack of focuss and style of play that is fading quickly in its ability to win.

Regards,

TopDawg
3/16/2006, 06:50 PM

If all OU basketball fans want 20 wins and a trip to the NCAA tourney

and...

oumartin wants more than 20 wins and a trip to the NCAA tourney

then...

oumartin is not an OU basketball fan.

I KNEW IT!!!

Soonerus
3/16/2006, 07:52 PM
Congratulations ??? Congratulations on totally embarrassing all of us the last three games...

Boffingham
3/16/2006, 07:57 PM
When does football season start?

Boffingham
3/16/2006, 07:57 PM
maybe we'll get Mike Davis

garland sooner
3/16/2006, 09:09 PM
When do the men play?

Not on Saturday and not on April 3!

*sigh* I was pumped up for the season this year. As the season went along, I just realized that the women's game is much more exciting.

(maybe Sherri could hold 2 jobs? ...meh. I could dream.)

jdsooner
3/16/2006, 09:11 PM
Congrats on losing to Missouri, barely beating lousy non-conference opponents, getting smoked by West Virginia at the All College, losing the last three games in a row, and being one and done in the tourney by losing to a school most of us have never heard of.

Congrats on a very disappointing year and a record inflated by a weak Big 12.

TopDawg
3/16/2006, 09:27 PM
, and being one and done in the tourney by losing to a school most of us have never heard of.

Now this is a true OU fan. After we were eliminated last year, he stopped watching basketball all together, so he didn't see UWM in the Sweet 16 last year.

Scott D
3/16/2006, 09:29 PM
Now this is a true OU fan. After we were eliminated last year, he stopped watching basketball all together, so he didn't see UWM in the Sweet 16 last year.

or the fact that UWM has consistently put quality teams in the tournament for the last decade or so.

Newbomb Turk
3/16/2006, 09:31 PM
Congrats boys - you deserve better fans than you have.

OKC-SLC
3/16/2006, 10:08 PM
oumartin may be a slut, but i agree with him.

i feel skanky.

jdsooner
3/17/2006, 01:56 AM

Yeah, I don't know basketball. Congrats to UWM on winning the Horizon League. This was a powerful team that lost to Tennessee Tech, Wisconsin Green Bay, Wright State, Butler, Illinois-Chicago, and Missouri State. The last two losses were at home. But hey, they were a dangerous #11 seed.

We shouldn't be disappointed, we should just be glad we didn't lose by more!:rolleyes:

Sooner in Tampa
3/17/2006, 09:10 AM
This team flat out under achieved. The blame belongs to the coach.

recemp
3/17/2006, 02:28 PM
Congrats UMW...but I'm getting kind of tired of being a good loser.
This was the first Sampson team that I remember that didn't get better as the season went on. All it takes to make this drunk hillbilly happy is that the teams play up to their ability with heart. Kind of like Paul Newman's character in Cool Hand Luke.
I don't think we should fire Sampson. We are a football school and we aren't going to out recruit Duke, but I'd like to feel that we were doing the best we can with what we got.
Does anybody think that the NCAA sanctions had a toll on the coach this year?

oumartin
3/17/2006, 03:30 PM
oumartin may be a slut, but i agree with him.

um, i'm not, my wife is ;)

bigdsooner
3/17/2006, 03:32 PM

:D

OKC-SLC
3/18/2006, 03:03 PM
you can say that again.

RacerX
3/18/2006, 03:12 PM
Congrats boys - you deserve better fans than you have.

:rolleyes:

MojoRisen
3/18/2006, 03:24 PM
Congrats UMW...but I'm getting kind of tired of being a good loser.
This was the first Sampson team that I remember that didn't get better as the season went on. All it takes to make this drunk hillbilly happy is that the teams play up to their ability with heart. Kind of like Paul Newman's character in Cool Hand Luke.
I don't think we should fire Sampson. We are a football school and we aren't going to out recruit Duke, but I'd like to feel that we were doing the best we can with what we got.
Does anybody think that the NCAA sanctions had a toll on the coach this year?

Basketball is 5 on 5 - I would not worry about out recruiting Duke- and now that North Carolina has passed them up- them too.

I think we can focuss on getting our 5 every year- no problem in recruiting.