PDA

View Full Version : Car problems....

OUTromBoNado
3/15/2006, 10:32 PM
So, two weeks ago I replaced a fuel pump on my car. Cost me $330. Luckily, my dad was on vacation and able to put it on himself saving me carpload of money.

I also get my tires rotated and balanced and the front-end aligned. They had to replace a ball-joint to do the alignment. Total cost = $200.

Get an oil change at Jiffy Lube. Cost = $30.

Current total = $560

Then, I find out my tranny is screwed. It's gotta be completely rebuilt. Quote was $1400-$1800 depending on the extent of the damage. Tomorrow they will have had my car for a flipping week. They said, I might get it back by Friday.

Oh well, and I still have an oxygen sensor to maybe replace. I think the wire got pulled off when my dad replaced the fuel pump, so that should be easily fixed.

This car is a 2000 model with only 81k miles. This sucks almost as bad as losing to the whorns.

chriscappel
3/15/2006, 10:37 PM
Realizing you need a new car= PRICELESS!

PrideTrombone
3/15/2006, 10:38 PM
So, two weeks ago I replaced a fuel pump on my car. Cost me $330. Luckily, my dad was on vacation and able to put it on himself saving me carpload of money.

I also get my tires rotated and balanced and the front-end aligned. They had to replace a ball-joint to do the alignment. Total cost = $200.

Current total = $560

Then, I find out my tranny is screwed. It's gotta be completely rebuilt. Quote was $1400-$1800 depending on the extent of the damage. Tomorrow they will have had my car for a flipping week. They said, I might get it back by Friday.

Oh well, and I still have an oxygen sensor to maybe replace. I think the wire got pulled off when my dad replaced the fuel pump, so that should be easily fixed.

This car is a 2000 model with only 81k miles. This sucks almost as bad as losing to the whorns.

What kind of car?

bigdsooner
3/16/2006, 12:03 AM
Realizing you need a new car= PRICELESS!

:D

RacerX
3/16/2006, 12:05 AM
What kind of car?

A crappy one.

GottaHavePride
3/16/2006, 12:13 AM
What kind of car?

Can I guess Subaru?

Jimminy Crimson
3/16/2006, 12:20 AM
Has to be a domestic or Euro job.

PrideTrombone
3/16/2006, 12:50 AM

Sounds like it. I love my Nissan.

Jimminy Crimson
3/16/2006, 12:54 AM
Sounds like it. I love my Nissan.

I'm about to get out of my euro job and into a Nissan or Acura. :mack:

PrideTrombone
3/16/2006, 12:56 AM
I'm about to get out of my euro job and into a Nissan or Acura. :mack:

I've got an 02 Altima, I know a guy with an Acura TL and he swears he won't ever buy anything else.

Stanley1
3/16/2006, 01:10 AM
I have never in all my days heard of a fuel pump costing that much.

Frozen Sooner
3/16/2006, 01:18 AM
Can I guess Subaru?

You'd probably be wrong. Used parts for Subarus are pretty cheap, as they're pretty interchangeable between models and years.

yermom
3/16/2006, 01:24 AM
Can I guess Subaru?

:mad:

if it's Japanese, i'd bet it's either Mazda or Mitsubishi

Jimminy Crimson
3/16/2006, 01:48 AM
I've got an 02 Altima, I know a guy with an Acura TL and he swears he won't ever buy anything else.

That'd be the Acura I'm looking at. I think there are a few TL drivers on board here, too.

Jimminy Crimson
3/16/2006, 01:49 AM
:mad:

if it's Japanese, i'd bet it's either Mazda or Mitsubishi

Tru dat!

olevetonahill
3/16/2006, 03:54 AM

Current total = $560

dude
they are Fu--ing ya hard !!!!!!!:eek: :eek:
pe em with details Ill help ya out, ;)

OUTromBoNado
3/16/2006, 04:02 AM
What kind of car?

2000 Mercury Mistake...I mean Mystique...no I mean Mistake....

I have never in all my days heard of a fuel pump costing that much.

It wasn't just the fuel pump...there were a couple of other things I think. The problem was complicated in the fact that just in the same model year, 4 different types of fuel pumps had been used (or something like that). We had to buy the pump straight from the dealer's part warehouse...so of course, we paid a boatload.

It acutally has a Mazda (owned by Ford) transmission. It's the same tranny in a Mazda 626, 929, late-model Ford Probes, and Ford Contours/Mercury Mystiques. I've been told by several that the tranny has an inherent design flaw that almost guarantees the thing to fail once you're about 60k miles. The place I took it to is pretty experienced with this...they've rebuilt over 100 of this same model transmission in the last month.:eek:

OU-HSV
3/16/2006, 08:36 AM
Man that sucks, one thing after another...break down and buy a toyota camry.

SoonerBorn68
3/16/2006, 08:40 AM
CD4E's are the succ, and expensive to work on.

yermom
3/16/2006, 09:08 AM
2000 Mercury Mistake...I mean Mystique...no I mean Mistake....

It wasn't just the fuel pump...there were a couple of other things I think. The problem was complicated in the fact that just in the same model year, 4 different types of fuel pumps had been used (or something like that). We had to buy the pump straight from the dealer's part warehouse...so of course, we paid a boatload.

It acutally has a Mazda (owned by Ford) transmission. It's the same tranny in a Mazda 626, 929, late-model Ford Probes, and Ford Contours/Mercury Mystiques. I've been told by several that the tranny has an inherent design flaw that almost guarantees the thing to fail once you're about 60k miles. The place I took it to is pretty experienced with this...they've rebuilt over 100 of this same model transmission in the last month.:eek:

i almost typed this when i saw the milage and transmission... everyone i know that had one of those cars had their transmission go out

Harry Beanbag
3/16/2006, 09:55 AM
A rule that I try to follow is: Buy domestic pickups and Japanese cars. Of course the Japanese are starting to catch on in regards to pickups now...

Norm In Norman
3/16/2006, 10:11 AM
Our POS 99 Taurus is dying a slow death right now. I'm looking at possibly a Nissan Altima, Toyota Camry, or Honda Accord for a repplacement. I doubt i will get another ford. I want something I can use or sell after 100k.

Harry Beanbag
3/16/2006, 10:15 AM
Our POS 99 Taurus is dying a slow death right now. I'm looking at possibly a Nissan Altima, Toyota Camry, or Honda Accord for a repplacement. I doubt i will get another ford. I want something I can use or sell after 100k.

Get an Accord if you want something that feels a little sporty. Get a Camry if you don't.

yermom
3/16/2006, 10:16 AM
A rule that I try to follow is: Buy domestic pickups and Japanese cars. Of course the Japanese are starting to catch on in regards to pickups now...

i'm guessing you mean full-size trucks here

Toyota and Nissan pickups have been good for a long time

Harry Beanbag
3/16/2006, 10:17 AM
i'm guessing you mean full-size trucks here

Toyota and Nissan pickups have been good for a long time

Yeah, full size. I've heard good things about the Titan and the new Tundras. I guess the Tundra isn't quite full size though.

Norm In Norman
3/16/2006, 11:08 AM
Get an Accord if you want something that feels a little sporty. Get a Camry if you don't.
It's funny how close the specifications are on both of those cars. I haven't driven either. i will say that it seems like you can't spit without hitting at least two toyota camrys. The styling is becoming a bit boring I guess (like the taurus got).

Ok, on my first attempt I hit the guy beside me instead of a car. But you get the idea.

TopDaugIn2000
3/16/2006, 11:11 AM
I have a nearly new '06 Camry that has less than 8K miles on it if you wanna get rid of your piece of crap.

(It's perfect, I just want an '07)

and as far as accord vs. camry, I drove and priced both back in '02. Toyota gave me a better deal and I liked the features better. For this one, I felt like the safety features in the Camry (as well as God) were the reason I walked away from my wreck, and didn't even look at any other brand.

Mjcpr
3/16/2006, 11:11 AM
It's funny how close the specifications are on both of those cars. I haven't driven either. i will say that it seems like you can't spit without hitting at least two toyota camrys. The styling is becoming a bit boring I guess (like the taurus got).

Ok, on my first attempt I hit the guy beside me instead of a car. But you get the idea.

Given your choices, I kind of like the Altima. The newer ones look like the older Maximas which I prefer to the newer Maxima body styles.......if that makes any sense. And I've always heard good things about the Altima.

Harry Beanbag
3/16/2006, 12:02 PM
I have a nearly new '06 Camry that has less than 8K miles on it if you wanna get rid of your piece of crap.

(It's perfect, I just want an '07)

and as far as accord vs. camry, I drove and priced both back in '02. Toyota gave me a better deal and I liked the features better. For this one, I felt like the safety features in the Camry (as well as God) were the reason I walked away from my wreck, and didn't even look at any other brand.

I drove and compared the '05 Accords and Camrys. The Camry seemed boxy, tin cannish, and felt like grandmas car. The Accord felt considerably more solid, was sportier and more fun to drive. The safety features were basically the same, but I "felt" safer in the Accord which was important to me since I had driven an SUV or truck for the previous 10 years. And I got a marginally better deal on the Accord.

They're both great cars, it's just personal preference as to which one you like better.

Norm In Norman
3/16/2006, 01:21 PM
Given your choices, I kind of like the Altima. The newer ones look like the older Maximas which I prefer to the newer Maxima body styles.......if that makes any sense. And I've always heard good things about the Altima.
I don't really like that thing behind the windows on the maxima.

We drove an Altima in 2000 when we got the taurus. I loved it. The only reason I didn't get it is because it had less features than the taurus we got and it cost 9000 more.

OUTromBoNado
3/16/2006, 01:56 PM
CD4E's are the succ, and expensive to work on.

i almost typed this when i saw the milage and transmission... everyone i know that had one of those cars had their transmission go out

That's what I'm finding out.

OUTromBoNado
3/18/2006, 02:01 AM
Just got word on the car today. Cost for the rebuilt tranny = $1764

I'm supposed to get it back Monday afternoon.

Mjcpr
3/18/2006, 02:12 AM
Not that I know of anywhere better but where did you take it?

olevetonahill
3/18/2006, 02:45 AM
Just got word on the car today. Cost for the rebuilt tranny = $1764

I'm supposed to get it back Monday afternoon.
any Vasilene or at least a reach around ?

OUTromBoNado
3/18/2006, 01:49 PM
Not that I know of anywhere better but where did you take it?

Aamco Transmissions. My dad claimed everyone on his mail route recommended them. Relatives had always taken their cars there and were pretty pleased with the quality of their work. Of course, no one told me whether or not they were more or less expensive than anyone else of course.

There were a couple of other places I called. I can't remember their names. One place quoted me at $1895 without even seeing the car, but they also said they didn't have anyone that had the expertise to work on a Mazda CD4E transmission. The other place was also in the $1300-$1700 range.

Apparently, this transmission is incredibly difficult to work on. So, it costs more.

OUTromBoNado
3/18/2006, 01:50 PM
any Vasilene or at least a reach around ?

Yeah, but they said it would be at least another $1000 charge. With probably another week's delay in getting the parts.:texan:

RacerX
3/18/2006, 03:35 PM
...break down and buy a toyota camry.

Sounds like he's half way there.