PDA

View Full Version : yeah, about tearing up those credit card applications...

Ike
3/15/2006, 10:13 PM
the smaller the pieces, the better. maybe burning it would be a better idea.

http://www.cockeyed.com/citizen/creditcard/application.shtml

chriscappel
3/15/2006, 10:20 PM
hmmm...goin to wal-mart now!

slickdawg
3/15/2006, 10:26 PM
I was in Office Depot in July, they had a closeout on a nuclear strength
shredder - 20 pages, CDs, and credit cards. It's a beast. Normally
$300, closeout $75

I feel really good about that purchase now.

afs
3/15/2006, 10:32 PM
$300 is all? I use shredders at work that cost $5000. 1/32 of an inch by 1/8 of an inch crosscut. turns sheets of paper into dust.

slickdawg
3/15/2006, 10:41 PM
We've got one that turns it into a flour-like substance at work, but
that's a bit much for home use.

yermom
3/15/2006, 10:55 PM
I was in Office Depot in July, they had a closeout on a nuclear strength
shredder - 20 pages, CDs, and credit cards. It's a beast. Normally
$300, closeout $75

I feel really good about that purchase now.

what model is this?

proud gonzo
3/15/2006, 11:23 PM
the only problem is that to put the application together they'd have to search through your trash to find all the pieces, unless you're silly enough to put them in one big clump.

my shredder gets emptied into our kindling basket, though we don't use the fireplace much. generally i don't toss all pieces of ripped up stuff into the same trashcan, they get scattered. sometimes i even flush them.

Sooner_Bob
3/15/2006, 11:29 PM
whoa

Frozen Sooner
3/16/2006, 12:45 AM
And, of course, for that to have proved what he was attempting to prove (i.e. that it is easy for someone to get a fake credit card using a pieced-together application from the trash) he would have to assume that an identity thief would have his social security number and birthdate.

Because, you know, it's so much easier to tape a credit card application together than it is to just go online and fill out a fake application if you already know someone's social security number.

Jimminy Crimson
3/16/2006, 12:52 AM
If I don't shred applications etc. I put the pieces in different trash bags and or different trash cans.

Back in the day when we could light fires, I'd used applications to get the chiminea fired up. :texan:

Jimminy Crimson
3/16/2006, 12:53 AM
And, of course, for that to have proved what he was attempting to prove (i.e. that it is easy for someone to get a fake credit card using a pieced-together application from the trash) he would have to assume that an identity thief would have his social security number and birthdate.

Because, you know, it's so much easier to tape a credit card application together than it is to just go online and fill out a fake application if you already know someone's social security number.

I wonder what a CC company would do if they received an application that was torn into pieces and taped back together. ;)

Stoop Dawg
3/16/2006, 01:08 AM
You can also get a credit card for the tree in your front yard. Hooray!

http://www.snopes.com/business/bank/treecard.asp

Frozen Sooner
3/16/2006, 01:15 AM
I wonder what a CC company would do if they received an application that was torn into pieces and taped back together. ;)

Heh. Well, I'd hope that the person inputting the application would be smart enough to reject the application.

Basically, the credit card company is going to end up taking a loss on the deal if it's fraudulent. Burden of proof is on them to prove they issued the card to the right person.

olevetonahill
3/16/2006, 04:06 AM
Heh. Well, I'd hope that the person inputting the application would be smart enough to reject the application.

Basically, the credit card company is going to end up taking a loss on the deal if it's fraudulent. Burden of proof is on them to prove they issued the card to the right person.
Tru dat
but even so ya got to fight em till ya win !
I shred all that shat and then burn it ( in a very controlled type burn )
thats just me ;)

chriscappel
3/16/2006, 04:09 AM
You can also get a credit card for the tree in your front yard. Hooray!

http://www.snopes.com/business/bank/treecard.asp

I wonder if i can get one for Jack N. Mehofe.........