PDA

View Full Version : Gas prices.

SOONER44EVER
3/15/2006, 12:32 PM
Gas went from 2.19 to 2.37 overnight. Why can't the oil companies just admit they're screwing us instead of continually lying?

royalfan5
3/15/2006, 12:37 PM
It would help if Oil trader's were more like cattle trader's. Oil trader's run screaming at the hint of bad news, and that is why we have 15-20 dollar fear premium in the raw price of crude. Of course if oil came from more stable areas it would help. And once again it's refinery maintaince and switchover season. Gas always spikes this time of year because of tight supplies.

TopDaugIn2000
3/15/2006, 12:38 PM
Gas always spikes this time of year because of spring break.

FIXED

Pieces Hit
3/15/2006, 12:41 PM
http://me-arab-crude-oil.tripod.com/aziz_abdalla.jpg

Keep bitching infidel, and we raise it even higher.
Muahahahahaha.

yermom
3/15/2006, 12:43 PM
http://me-arab-crude-oil.tripod.com/aziz_abdalla.jpg

Keep bitching infidel, and we raise it even higher.
Muahahahahaha.

TRIPWN3D!1!

Muahahahahaha.

mdklatt
3/15/2006, 12:45 PM
Even at $2.37 gas is a lot cheaper now than it was six months ago. Oil companies should just raise their prices slowly and never lower them, like everybody else does. They would make even more money, and nobody would complain.

jk the sooner fan
3/15/2006, 12:45 PM
if there was one product that i wish the federal goverment would regulate pricing on, it would be gasoline

SOONER44EVER
3/15/2006, 12:47 PM
If the oil companies weren't making record profits in the billions every quarter the supply and demand thing would be easier to believe.

royalfan5
3/15/2006, 12:51 PM
If the oil companies weren't making record profits in the billions every quarter the supply and demand thing would be easier to believe.
Part of the record profits stems from the lack of capacity of exploration companies to explore, and thus Oil companies can't reinvest in further exploration because of that. The late 90's oil bust made alot of capacity go away the exploration industry, and that doesn't go away overnight. Companies in any commodity business will go through cycles like this.

slickdawg
3/15/2006, 12:52 PM
Oil trading is extremely speculative.

A camel can fart in Saudi Arabia and crude will go up $3 a barrell.

SOONER44EVER
3/15/2006, 12:55 PM
Oil trading is extremely speculative.

A camel can fart in Saudi Arabia and crude will go up $3 a barrell.
Saudi Arabia must be really stinky these days. :D

mdklatt
3/15/2006, 12:56 PM

Does Mrs. Baird's lower the price of bread every time there's a bumper crop of wheat? Nope. They take the money and run. Isn't it possible that the oil companies are making more money simply because they're selling more oil? Drive by a McDonald's today and see how many SUV's you see idling in the drive through line.

It's not the price of oil that makes people mad it's the price volatility. People only notice when the price goes up, not when it goes down again. Six months ago any gas station selling for $2.37 would have been mobbed, but now everybody sees that amount as exhorbitant.

SOONER44EVER
3/15/2006, 01:04 PM
Does Mrs. Baird's lower the price of bread every time there's a bumper crop of wheat? Nope. They take the money and run. Isn't it possible that the oil companies are making more money simply because they're selling more oil? Drive by a McDonald's today and see how many SUV's you see idling in the drive through line.

It's not the price of oil that makes people mad it's the price volatility. People only notice when the price goes up, not when it goes down again. Six months ago any gas station selling for $2.37 would have been mobbed, but now everybody sees that amount as exhorbitant.
So the oil companies suddenly started selling more gas immediately after the hurricane hit? Then the demand went UP in the winter when it usually goes down? Yeah right.

mdklatt
3/15/2006, 01:15 PM
So the oil companies suddenly started selling more gas immediately after the hurricane hit?

With millions of people from Lousiana, Mississippi, and Alabam getting in their cars and driving 500 miles in all directions? And then trying to return in addition to thousands of relief workers? Maybe.

Then the demand went UP in the winter when it usually goes down? Yeah right.

If gas had slowly gone up to $3/gallon since last summer you would have never started this thread. We would simply get used to the new price point and deal with it, just like we do with everything else. The oil companies would have even more money than they do now, but nobody would care. Gasoline is significantly cheaper than it was six months ago, but people are complaining. Why? Because it's more expensive that it was six days ago. Does that make a lot of sense? We prefer small but steady price increases to frequent up and down fluctuations, even the though frequent flucuations mean we're actually paying less money in the long run.

OU Adonis
3/15/2006, 01:19 PM
Cliff notes plz

Petro-Sooner
If oil companies set the prices like many think, why then would they allow them to go down so low during busts?

SOONER44EVER
Gas is the only thing I buy, that I know of, where the price changes every day, sometimes twice in a day. I don't remember it doing that in the past.

usmc-sooner
3/15/2006, 01:23 PM
People will pay $1.00 for a bottle of water, $2.50 for a 12 ounces of beer and bitch about a gallon of gasoline.

You think we got it bad you should live in Europe.

Petro-Sooner
3/15/2006, 01:26 PM
People will pay $1.00 for a bottle of water, $2.50 for a 12 ounces of beer and bitch about a gallon of gasoline.

Bingo! Think about what a gallon of eye drops would cost. $5.00 for a coke at the football game. Just sayin.

OU Adonis
3/15/2006, 01:28 PM

Americans in general and Oklahomans specifically are pretty lazy when it comes to alternative means of transportation. No one walks anywhere, regardless of how close it is. Only the real poor take a bus.

I work with a girl who gets in her car and drives to 7-11, even though its just across a parking lot. (Don't have to cross streets or anything). I am guessing its less than 100 yards from where we work. Lazy.

I live right by PC North. I can see the school from my driveway, yet there is a long *** line of cars in the street going to school every day. Hardly any of the kids walk to school.

yermom
3/15/2006, 01:29 PM
i can also pay like $.25 for a bottle of water, or $2.50 at a football game

that doesn't change every day either though, for water or beer you are paying for the process, not the whim of some camel's *** ;)

of course it would really suck to pay $10 a gallon on gameday or something too

SOONER44EVER
3/15/2006, 01:30 PM
Americans in general and Oklahomans specifically are pretty lazy when it comes to alternative means of transportation. No one walks anywhere, regardless of how close it is. Only the real poor take a bus.

I work with a girl who gets in her car and drives to 7-11, even though its just across a parking lot. (Don't have to cross streets or anything). I am guessing its less than 100 yards from where we work. Lazy.

I live right by PC North. I can see the school from my driveway, yet there is a long *** line of cars in the street going to school every day. Hardly any of the kids walk to school.
Some people pretty much have to drive.

mdklatt
3/15/2006, 01:32 PM
Gas is the only thing I buy, that I know of, where the price changes every day, sometimes twice in a day. I don't remember it doing that in the past.

But it goes down as well as up. In a month from now it might be even cheaper than it was last week. Name another commodity where the price ever goes down. The kind of bread I buy just went from $1.50 to $2 a loaf in one big jump, and it will ever go back down to $1.50 again.

sooneron
3/15/2006, 01:36 PM

That is one of the few things I like about living up here. When I am working (free lance) I walk a half mile to the train, then a half mile to the office as long as the weather is bearable ( I can bear quite a bit). It's actually too bad COL and fuel is so bad up here , due to the fact that so many people do as I do and actually conserve fuel.

mdklatt
3/15/2006, 01:37 PM

Or take the bus, in the case of the middle school I live by.

Grimey
3/15/2006, 02:01 PM
if there was one product that i wish the federal goverment would regulate pricing on, it would be gasoline

say hello to lines at all the gas stations

SoonerInKCMO
3/15/2006, 02:22 PM
Why do you commies hate capitalism? :texan:

FaninAma
3/15/2006, 02:42 PM

I would vote for beer.

OklahomaTuba
3/15/2006, 02:59 PM
Ugh, pricing controls on gas was a Jimmy Carter policy.
Thats what led to the gas lines JK. It would hurt a lot more people than it would help, and it wouldn't help many.

walkoffsooner
3/15/2006, 03:15 PM
Oil company's are making a killing I work for one my yearly bonus went from 2500 dollars to 15000 this year not bitching about bonus but my god how much our they making.

mdklatt
3/15/2006, 03:24 PM
Oil company's are making a killing I work for one my yearly bonus went from 2500 dollars to 15000 this year not bitching about bonus but my god how much our they making.

Then make sure you don't buy a $43,000 Yukon with your bonus.

Grimey
3/15/2006, 03:32 PM
SoonerinKCMO, who is that hideous monster in your avatar?

yermom
3/15/2006, 03:35 PM
SoonerinKCMO, who is that hideous monster in your avatar?

looks like a reallife version of Sideshow Bob

Grimey
3/15/2006, 03:42 PM
yeah it does..

scary to look at

Harry Beanbag
3/15/2006, 03:48 PM

Are you hiring?

sooneron
3/15/2006, 03:54 PM
Are you hiring?
Decent grammar doesn't appear to be a requisite.:D

Petro-Sooner
3/15/2006, 04:53 PM
walkoff, what do you at the company? geologist, engineer?

Skysooner
3/15/2006, 05:31 PM
I also work for an oil company, and our bonuses are up about the same. The main problem is that we have so much cash and only limited places to spend it. Right now, we are buying back stock as it is cheaper for those reserves than to buy another company. Bonuses are up big-time as they are trying to retain people, and there is an extreme labor shortage in oil companies. It is hard to spend capital when you don't have enough people to do the technical work or the equipment in the field to do the work.

BTW, Petro, I'm an engineer.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/15/2006, 05:31 PM
walkoff, what do you at the company? geologist, engineer?Stop salivating and go study so you can be my sugar daddy. ;)

Scott D
3/15/2006, 09:11 PM
The most amusing comment I've heard of late about gas prices was this morning on the radio when someone played the quote from the CEO of Shell when he commented that most of the people complaining about the price of gas, and the greed of the oil companies are the same people who do everything in their power to prevent the oil companies from using their newest technologies to drill in ANWAR.

OU-HSV
3/15/2006, 09:38 PM
Gas was up to 2.45 when I was coming home from work earlier.

ChickSoonerFan
3/15/2006, 09:44 PM
Too high. Ridiculous really.

Okla-homey
3/15/2006, 09:49 PM
Econ 101: This should not surprise anyone. Its capitalism and stuff and the price is based on demand. Its the Spring Break season. gosh.

walkoffsooner
3/15/2006, 10:42 PM
The money is in supply I'am an electrican for the oil company.heat and air plumbing ect. so many houses going up can't find skilled labor.That guy you see in the old plumbing truck with no degree is making 150,000 dollars plus.Sooneron you want good grammer get a thirty thousand grammer teacher.

usmc-sooner
3/16/2006, 12:22 AM
The money is in supply I'am an electrican for the oil company.heat and air plumbing ect. so many houses going up can't find skilled labor.That guy you see in the old plumbing truck with no degree is making 150,000 dollars plus.Sooneron you want good grammer get a thirty thousand grammer teacher.

Bruce?