PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions Regarding The Latest Bomar Incident

FaninAma
3/15/2006, 11:43 AM
Should the panther **** they sell at public events in Oklahoma even be considered beer?

If you were one of Bomar's parents how you would handle his latest faux paux?

mdklatt
3/15/2006, 11:45 AM
If you were Bomar's parents how would handle his latest faux paux?

Blame it on the coaching staff for making him compete with ENA for playing time during Spring practice.

jk the sooner fan
3/15/2006, 11:46 AM
if i were his dad, i'd chew on his ear long and hard and tell him how close he is to ****ing away the opportunity of a lifetime.......then i'd shut up about it and never mention it again

picasso
3/15/2006, 11:47 AM
I'd explain to him his responsibility as a public figure in Oklahoma and in the national media. I'd tell if he's going to have a cold one on occasion, do it in private and do it when it's legal. Don't drink and drive.
I'd tell him it's ok to run out of bounds on occasion.
I'd apologize again for naming him Rhett.

Hatfield
3/15/2006, 11:50 AM
i guess i haven't heard anything about this.

Pieces Hit
3/15/2006, 11:50 AM
Why do you hate Brett Romar?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/1998/bowls/fiesta/news/1999/01/03/keith_jackson/jackson_ap.jpg

Tear Down This Wall
3/15/2006, 11:51 AM
My dad and I discussed this over the weekend. He thought Bomar should have been left alone. I reminded him that the QB is the team leader, and that Huepel, Hybl, and White were never caught in similar public situations.

My first semester of college, I got a minor in possession because I was sitting in a car with an empty beer bottle behind the passenger seat. :D But, I wasn't the QB at Oklahoma, so no one knew about it or cared. Sure, in the scheme of things it's no big deal. However, Bomar and all athletes in big time programs have to be aware that little things they do in public are going to be nitpicked.

mdklatt
3/15/2006, 11:52 AM
Let's see...our most recent "Blue Chip" QB prospects have been Bomar (worrisome), Grady (gone), Rawls (enough said), and the dude that got arrested for breaking into a house and then told the police he was only trying to get his marijuana back. This is why recruiting is so overrated. I'd prefer "nobodies" like Heupel and White.

picasso
3/15/2006, 11:54 AM
Let's see...our most recent "Blue Chip" QB prospects have been Bomar (worrisome), Grady (gone), Rawls (enough said), and the dude that got arrested for breaking into a house and then told the police he was only trying to get his marijuana back. This is why recruiting is so overrated. I'd prefer "nobodies" like Heupel and White.
White wasn't a nobody.

Frozen Sooner
3/15/2006, 11:55 AM
It was a knuckleheaded entitled brat sort of thing to do.

Seriously.

Kid's a heck of a quarterback, don't get me wrong. But the event staff had warned him a couple of times ALREADY about it, and he just kept doing it.

I don't understand how alcohol becomes such a big part of someone's life that they just HAVE to have it everywhere they go. Drink a damn soda or some water.

mdklatt
3/15/2006, 11:55 AM
White wasn't a nobody.

Compared to Bomar, Grady, and Rawls he was, right?

Mjcpr
3/15/2006, 11:57 AM

I wouldn't say that.....he chose between OU and Miami.

Pieces Hit
On the other hand, if the alcohol allows his bones to stay as flexible as last year, I'm all for it.

picasso
not sure, I'm no recruiting nerd but I know Miami U somehow found him in small town Tuttleville.

mdklatt
3/15/2006, 12:04 PM
It was a knuckleheaded entitled brat sort of thing to do.

Seriously.

Kid's a heck of a quarterback, don't get me wrong. But the event staff had warned him a couple of times ALREADY about it, and he just kept doing it.

This is problem with giving young kids so much attention. First, every college is treating you like a king, and then once you get to campus things get even better for you--especially when you start winning games. Most people that age have no concept of consequences, and that's only magnified when you're BMOC.

mdklatt
3/15/2006, 12:06 PM
I wouldn't say that.....he chose between OU and Miami.

I don't remember all the hype for White that there was for Grady and Bomar.

Hatfield
3/15/2006, 12:10 PM
uhmmm/....what did he do

picasso
3/15/2006, 12:11 PM
well you can't complain about getting high profile recruits. some pan out, some don't. I'd say Bomar is approaching his hype on the field.
that Bradford kid we got in the latest class wasn't hyped too entirely much.

Tear Down This Wall
3/15/2006, 12:13 PM
White was being recruited by Miami, Florida State, and Tennessee. Huepel was the true diamond in the rough. Hybl and White were known entities and expected to do well no matter where they went.

Along the lines of what Frozen said, years ago Kim Mitchell would have told Bomar, might as well go for a soda, it's better than slander, it's better than lies.

1stTimeCaller
To try to answer the first question it's pretty tricky in Oklahoma. I could be dead *** wrong here but I don't think I am. In OK 3.2% beer is by legal definition a non-intoxicating beverage. It's not 'non-alcoholic' but it is 'non-intoxicating'. I'm not sure how you can be charged with public intoxication when drinking a non-intoxicating beverage. The MIP I can see. Any of you legal beagles out there know and understand how that can be?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
uhmmm/....what did he doHe got busted drinking beer at the Hornets game last Friday. At least he didn't fall up the stairs like I did before I drank any beer. My knee is shot.

mdklatt
3/15/2006, 12:17 PM
well you can't complain about getting high profile recruits. some pan out, some don't.

I'd like to know if they pan out at a different rate than the nobodies. I think the nature of recruiting makes it more likely for stuff like this to happen to the Blue Chip guys. When you're a scrub just trying to make the team you're damn sure going to keep your act together off the field.

I'd say Bomar is approaching his hype on the field.

Which won't matter if he pulls a Rawls. I hope this is just an isolated incident, except that it's already not so isolated.

nmsoonergirl
3/15/2006, 12:23 PM
I'm agreeing with Froz here. It would never have ocurred to be to walk around a public place with a beer when I was under 21, and I'm an absolute nobody. I would never have done it because 1. I was terrified of my mother, and she made it clear that if I ever got into legal trouble she'd kick my *** and 2. I would have preferred to to run around the North Oval naked than disappoint my family.
If I were Bomar's mom, I'd definitely try to make him feel some pain from this--maybe taking his car back for a year or something.

KABOOKIE
3/15/2006, 12:24 PM
Mmmmm. He was drinking beer responsibly as an adult and got busted for a petty rule. I think I'd tell him to wait it out to drink in public and blame it on those 99.97%'ers that wouldn't know true crime and how to handle it.

Stanley1
3/15/2006, 12:30 PM
I'm agreeing with Froz here. It would never have ocurred to be to walk around a public place with a beer when I was under 21, and I'm an absolute nobody. I would never have done it because 1. I was terrified of my mother, and she made it clear that if I ever got into legal trouble she'd kick my *** and 2. I would have preferred to to run around the North Oval naked than disappoint my family.
If I were Bomar's mom, I'd definitely try to make him feel some pain from this--maybe taking his car back for a year or something.

Agreed 100%. I had one mixed drink, and like 2-3 sips of alcohol before I turned 21. Pops would have beat my ***.

Stanley1
3/15/2006, 12:31 PM
Mmmmm. He was drinking beer responsibly as an adult and got busted for a petty rule. I think I'd tell him to wait it out to drink in public and blame it on those 99.97%'ers that wouldn't know true crime and how to handle it.

It is a true crime. Just b/c YOU don't agree with the law, doesn't mean it shouldn't be inforced.

I don't like paying taxes, but I'll be damned if I'm not going to do it.

Pieces Hit
3/15/2006, 12:32 PM
When I was a kid - beer drankin was legal at 18 and you could buy cigarettes at any age and if you didn't have sex by 16 you were queer or something.

I'm a mank.

MojoRisen
3/15/2006, 12:46 PM
People, Rhett broke the law.. Only in Oklahoma and this is important- would someone be so recognized at an NBA game with 18 K people.

IF he had just decided to go to Miami- he could get tatoos and hang out on the beach drinking 6.0 beer and looked at Arse all day long. Sorry people but Oklahoma is starting to look pretty lame- and we should all back off of Rhett for his 5 beers at 3.2. If not- what kind of message are we sending to people- if you want to run a robot program it will not be long before we are back in the tank.

KABOOKIE
3/15/2006, 12:55 PM
Black people owning land and drink alcohol period was illegal too. :rolleyes:

Spend my tax dollars elsewhere.

Pieces Hit
3/15/2006, 12:57 PM
Next thing you know he'll be smoking a bong in the huddle.

mdklatt
3/15/2006, 12:58 PM
Next thing you know he'll be smoking a bong in the huddle.

This is a Bomar thread, not a Ricky Williams thread. Quit trying to threadjack it.

FaninAma
3/15/2006, 12:59 PM
I wondered about this because even though you might disagree with the law(which I do) Bomar's parents have to get the message across that you have to be smarter than that and sometimes you have to play the game(ie. don't drink until your 21) in order to achieve the goals you've set for yourself.

I certainly wouldn't be disappointed in my son because he had a beer at 20 years of age, but I would be disappointed that his judgement(or lack of) placed him in a position of being vulnerable to people who may have an agenda that might be counterproductive to his best interests. BTW, I'd give the same advice to my daughters.

Bottom line....don't give people reasons to mess with you. Stay focused.

And the crap they sell in Oklahoma(ie the 3.2 beer) doesn't qualify as beer and it's an insult they charge beer prices for it.

1stTimeCaller
3/15/2006, 01:00 PM
It is a true crime. Just b/c YOU don't agree with the law, doesn't mean it shouldn't be inforced.

I don't like paying taxes, but I'll be damned if I'm not going to do it.

Have you lived in TX longer than 30 days? Do you have a TX driver license? TX plates? Those are also 'true crimes' if the answers are yes, no, no.

The point being, everyone breaks the law. Speeding is one that 99% of you have done. In OK the max punishment for speeding is 30 days in jail, underage drinking, not so much. Therefore in the State of Oklahoma's eyes, speeding is a greater crime than underage drinking.

Pieces Hit
3/15/2006, 01:00 PM
Brett's a good lookin kid though.
He gets a pass for that.

If I were him reading this, I would change my ways and represent us hayseeds better.

mdklatt
3/15/2006, 01:02 PM
Black people owning land and drink alcohol period was illegal too. :rolleyes:

Spend my tax dollars elsewhere.

It's not the beer drinking that's the problem, it's the incredible lack of judgement and maturity that Bomar showed by doing it. When you're a star player on a star football team you lose your right to civil disobedience. Is it so hard to sit through a basketball game without drinking, especially when you're well aware of the consequences if you do?

KABOOKIE
3/15/2006, 01:06 PM
It's not the beer drinking that's the problem, it's the incredible lack of judgement and maturity that Bomar showed by doing it. When you're a star player on a star football team you lose your right to civil disobedience. Is it so hard to sit through a basketball game without drinking, especially when you're well aware of the consequences if you do?

And that's why I would say as a parent to wait it out a few months to drink in public. And then do so very responsibly.

Stanley1
3/15/2006, 02:02 PM
Have you lived in TX longer than 30 days? Do you have a TX driver license? TX plates? Those are also 'true crimes' if the answers are yes, no, no.

The point being, everyone breaks the law. Speeding is one that 99% of you have done. In OK the max punishment for speeding is 30 days in jail, underage drinking, not so much. Therefore in the State of Oklahoma's eyes, speeding is a greater crime than underage drinking.

Last time I checked, I wasn't the starting QB for OU though.

Of course, I haven't checked today, maybe I should. :cool:

MojoRisen
3/15/2006, 02:07 PM
Somebody negged me for this post- Why don't you step up and leave a name!

I am just an oposing view- girly man..

People, Rhett broke the law.. Only in Oklahoma and this is important- would someone be so recognized at an NBA game with 18 K people.

IF he had just decided to go to Miami- he could get tatoos and hang out on the beach drinking 6.0 beer and looked at Arse all day long. Sorry people but Oklahoma is starting to look pretty lame- and we should all back off of Rhett for his 5 beers at 3.2. If not- what kind of message are we sending to people- if you want to run a robot program it will not be long before we are back in the tank.

yermom
3/15/2006, 02:12 PM
Last time I checked, I wasn't the starting QB for OU though.

Of course, I haven't checked today, maybe I should. :cool:

not this again :rolleyes:

:D

Stanley1
3/15/2006, 02:17 PM
not this again :rolleyes:

Should I tell the story again? :D

1stTimeCaller
3/15/2006, 02:22 PM
That bear in your avatar looks like the QB from Tulsa. :D

FaninAma
3/15/2006, 02:24 PM

I tend to agree. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong but i don't think I've read of athletes in any other state being harrassed over MIP like they are here in OKlahoma. If I were a HS recruit I would seriously look at this as a negative.

MojoRisen
3/15/2006, 02:25 PM
I tend to agree. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong but i don't think I've read of athletes in any other state being harrassed over MIP like they are here in OKlahoma. If I were a HS recruit I would seriously look at this as a negative.

Thank you- right or wrong- that is all I am saying in a bit of a harsh way.

Stanley1
3/15/2006, 02:26 PM
That bear in your avatar looks like the QB from Tulsa. :D

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/15/2006, 02:31 PM
notes:

jason white was recruited as a safety by miami and tennessee. we were his only offer at QB.

rhett was warned 2x and cited once. that means that our ratio was probably closer to 10-1 as the event staff probably ignored it the first 5 or so times he did it. when i talked about the possibility of this happening in the halzle thread 3 or so months ago, it was based on the fact that rhett seems to act like cale gundy did when i was at OU. this isn't a judgement on him, it just makes his behavior fairly predictable.

personally, i don't care about the arrest. everyone has their vices and i'm not going to judge him for his. what i do care about is the impact this has on the program and the team. if rhett wants to throw his career away that's his choice. if he wants to take OU down with him, well that's personal.

OklahomaTrombone
3/15/2006, 02:33 PM

Probably not...since he got cut.

MojoRisen
3/15/2006, 02:35 PM
notes:

jason white was recruited as a safety by miami and tennessee. we were his only offer at QB.

rhett was warned 2x and cited once. that means that our ratio was probably closer to 10-1 as the event staff probably ignored it the first 5 or so times he did it. when i talked about the possibility of this happening in the halzle thread 3 or so months ago, it was based on the fact that rhett seems to act like cale gundy did when i was at OU. this isn't a judgement on him, it just makes his behavior fairly predictable.

personally, i don't care about the arrest. everyone has their vices and i'm not going to judge him for his. what i do care about is the impact this has on the program and the team. if rhett wants to throw his career away that's his choice. if he wants to take OU down with him, well that's personal.

I hear you but why don't we save that comment for something like- what Dusty did...

starclassic tama
3/15/2006, 02:40 PM

so you don't think we should have recruited that one guy that plays running back for us, #28?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/15/2006, 02:40 PM
why? i didn't care about that one either.

OklahomaTuba
3/15/2006, 02:43 PM
Aso Pogi.

Not sure why I just typed that.

mdklatt
3/15/2006, 03:08 PM
so you don't think we should have recruited that one guy that plays running back for us, #28?

Two words: Quentin Griffin.

It seems to me that Blue Chips become busts at the same rate as the scrubs. Bringing in top talent only does you any good if that ends up in results on the field. Going after talent is not a bad thing, but I don't lose any sleep if some HS kid we've been recruiting goes somewhere else. There's a good chance he's a punk.

Didn't everybody here see Miracle? Best line in the movie: "I don't want the best players, I want the right players."

MojoRisen
3/15/2006, 03:09 PM
Two words: Quentin Griffin.

It seems to me that Blue Chips become busts at the same rate as the scrubs. Bringing in top talent only does you any good if that ends up in results on the field. Going after talent is not a bad thing, but I don't lose any sleep if some HS kid we've been recruiting goes somewhere else. There's a good chance he's a punk.

Didn't everybody here see Miracle? Best line in the movie: "I don't want the best players, I want the right players."

I am sure USC and Texas feel the same way :rolleyes:

Mjcpr
3/15/2006, 03:11 PM
I am sure all of the perennial CFB powerhouses feel the same way :rolleyes:

Yep.

mdklatt
3/15/2006, 03:21 PM
I am sure USC and Texas feel the same way :rolleyes:

OU was apparently the only school that recruited Jason White as a QB. Nobody else wanted Josh Heupel or Quentin Griffin at all. What have Brent Rawls or Tommy Grady done for us? Recruiting is a crap shoot. Do you disagree with that?

MojoRisen
3/15/2006, 03:32 PM
OU was apparently the only school that recruited Jason White as a QB. Nobody else wanted Josh Heupel or Quentin Griffin at all. What have Brent Rawls or Tommy Grady done for us? Recruiting is a crap shoot. Do you disagree with that?

No- but don't think OU didn't recruit those guys because we didn't think they were talented- know what I mean.

You can't let a couple of bad apples- discount 20-30 athletes a year that are extremely talented- and these days- you are not going to be able to compete unless you have some athletes- Q may not have been heavily recruited - but he is also in the NFL- and an incredible athlete.

If you are saying these HIGHLY recruiting guys everyone knows about are bad ussually- I think that is an overstatement-

colleyvillesooner
3/15/2006, 03:36 PM

Only if you want it to suck again.

NormanPride
3/15/2006, 03:41 PM
This seems to be going into one of about 5000 "Blue Chips suck" threads on the Football board. Every time, it comes down to jkm talking about coaches not recruiting well or extenuating circumstances, and everyone shuts up.

In the QBs case, I remember him saying that Long always recruited who Leach recruited. I don't think Leach wanted Grady or Rawls... So there you go.

Mjcpr
3/15/2006, 03:43 PM
In the QBs case, I remember him saying that Long always recruited who Leach recruited. I don't think Leach could've landed Grady or Rawls in a million years... So there you go.

That's more like it.

NormanPride
3/15/2006, 03:44 PM
That's more like it.

Well, I'm not saying he could. That's why we can recruit the same guys with confidence that we'll get them. We're Oklahoma. :D

mdklatt
3/15/2006, 03:47 PM
If you are saying these HIGHLY recruiting guys everyone knows about are bad ussually- I think that is an overstatement-

Going after Blue Chip recruits is a necessary evil. They obviously don't all turn up bad, but is their overall track record better than everybody else? Somebody should take a look at that. I disagree with the fan/media/pundit obsession with recruiting. As soon as you step foot on campus what you did in high school is irrelevent; that's true for every college student, including football players. Ironically, I think the fetishization of big-name recruits probably encourages attitude problems. You can't lavish that much praise on an immature HS kid without expecting it to go to his head.

(I'm not saying that's the case with Bomar.)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/15/2006, 03:52 PM
This seems to be going into one of about 5000 "Blue Chips suck" threads on the Football board. Every time, it comes down to jkm talking about coaches not recruiting well or extenuating circumstances, and everyone shuts up.

recruiting is an inexact science, however the types of recruits that guys get seems to be pretty consistent. this isn't any different than going into a new job and being able to "fit in" immediately with a certain kind of person. you see certain characteristics surface in all of the kids that long recruited through bomar. after bomar, they went a different track, first with chris todd and second with bradford. of course, now that we have a new QB coach we have to figure out who josh is going to find.

one interesting note about our recruiting is that there are certain coaches on our staff that you want to get their secondary targets. their primary guy tends to be a flake and their secondary guy tends to be an absolute stud. anyone want to guess which coach fits this profile?

In the QBs case, I remember him saying that Long always recruited who Leach recruited. I don't think Leach wanted Grady or Rawls... So there you go.

long didn't go after leach recruits until 2 years ago (chris todd and then bradford).

RacerX
3/15/2006, 03:57 PM
To try to answer the first question it's pretty tricky in Oklahoma. I could be dead *** wrong here but I don't think I am. In OK 3.2% beer is by legal definition a non-intoxicating beverage. It's not 'non-alcoholic' but it is 'non-intoxicating'. I'm not sure how you can be charged with public intoxication when drinking a non-intoxicating beverage. The MIP I can see. Any of you legal beagles out there know and understand how that can be?

Yeah, well animal fighting was illegal but ****-fighting was legal (still kind of is).

1stTimeCaller
3/15/2006, 03:59 PM
Yeah, well animal fighting was illegal but ****-fighting was legal (still kind of is).

yeah, rooster's aren't legally an 'animal' in OK. They are fowl. That's how they avoided animal cruelty cases for years.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/15/2006, 04:19 PM
Drinking alcohol was never banned at my house while I was underage (older teenager). However, I knew the legalities of being in public with an alcoholic beverage.

Frozen Sooner
3/15/2006, 04:53 PM
I wasn't trying to say that I agreed with the law whatsoever.

My problem was with his behavior once he was asked to not drink beer in that venue.

Whether you think rules are reasonable or not, you don't get to disobey them just because you don't agree with them. When you're breaking them and the representative of the person who makes the rules asks you to stop, then you either stop or leave.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/15/2006, 04:59 PM
I wasn't trying to say that I agreed with the law whatsoever.

My problem was with his behavior once he was asked to not drink beer in that venue.

Whether you think rules are reasonable or not, you don't get to disobey them just because you don't agree with them. When you're breaking them and the representative of the person who makes the rules asks you to stop, then you either stop or leave.Exactly. I don't like driving 35 on Janeway in Moore on my way to and from home everyday. I think the speed limit is too low. I've been pulled over in the same spot three times in 4 years. I drive the speed limit through there now

Scott D
3/15/2006, 04:59 PM
frozen quit trying to blind mojo with logic.

MojoRisen
3/15/2006, 05:17 PM
frozen quit trying to blind mojo with logic.

You guys are fun to mess with- Logic says nobody warned Bomar and especially the cops- becuase if they had- he would not have done that.

I don't need too much logic on this one- Bomar will start in Spring. Thank you and carry on!

If he doesn't it will be because Hazle is a superstar!

Tear Down This Wall
3/15/2006, 05:22 PM
Krikey! Gild this thread! I agree 100% with everything mdklatt and Frozen have said!

mdklatt
3/15/2006, 05:42 PM
You guys are fun to mess with- Logic says nobody warned Bomar and especially the cops- becuase if they had- he would not have done that.

This is where Bomar's judgment comes into play. Does he reallly need to be warned that it's a bad idea to drink in public when everybody knows who he is and that he's probably underage? Does Stoops need to follow him around and tell him not to be a dumbass?

MojoRisen
3/15/2006, 05:56 PM
This is where Bomar's judgment comes into play. Does he reallly need to be warned that it's a bad idea to drink in public when everybody knows who he is and that he's probably underage? Does Stoops need to follow him around and tell him not to be a dumbass?

Just like Stoops takes his finals for him right- Surely you can make an argument that this was dumb-

What you can not do- is tell me what stoops is going to do about it- and as well- what the actual circumstances were.

This is not a huge deal man- and if you were going to make it one- I would hope that Bomar would transfer to a non police state in the future.

QUit being such a pussssy

Frozen Sooner
3/15/2006, 06:19 PM
Krikey! Gild this thread! I agree 100% with everything mdklatt and Frozen have said!

I may have to reconsider my position. ;)

Frozen Sooner
3/15/2006, 06:21 PM
Some things that need to be said here:

There is a huge difference between a "police state" and a place where someone acting as security at a venue asks someone to stop drinking beer while underage twice before finally issuing a citation.

Bomar is going to be the starter next year and will more than likely do a great job.

Punk-*** kids who act like rules don't apply to them irritate the **** out of me. The off-duty cop who was acting as venue security was trying to do his job and it sounds like Rhett was being a penis about it. That's OK, I don't need our starting QB to be a nice guy.

MojoRisen
3/15/2006, 07:12 PM
Some things that need to be said here:

There is a huge difference between a "police state" and a place where someone acting as security at a venue asks someone to stop drinking beer while underage twice before finally issuing a citation.

Bomar is going to be the starter next year and will more than likely do a great job.

Punk-*** kids who act like rules don't apply to them irritate the **** out of me. The off-duty cop who was acting as venue security was trying to do his job and it sounds like Rhett was being a penis about it. That's OK, I don't need our starting QB to be a nice guy.

If the Security Actually warned him- I mean gave him a threat and let him off with a warning- and he continued to do it- then he is a PECKER HEAD-

I doubt they did man... but if they did- it is a different story- and yes it just means he isn't totally respectfull - and could use some extra wind sprints for that.

Scott D
3/15/2006, 08:50 PM

I don't need too much logic on this one- Bomar will start in Spring. Thank you and carry on!

If he doesn't it will be because Hazle is a superstar!

If your intent is to 'mess with' me, then I regret to inform you that none of your arguments, even the valid ones have swayed me in any possible manner.

Report is that he'd been asked not to do it before, report is that he continued to habitually do so. That goes contrary to your argument that he hadn't been warned at any given time about continuing said activity. Hell, he didn't even bother denying that he'd partaken in given activity.

The point has never been the activity itself, it's a known it's the wrong thing to do, hence why it seems to be so popular in this country these days. However, as a 'public figure' he has a certain standard to maintain.

A prime example of this would be the backlash there was over Jenna Bush's 'slightly excessive' partying during her father's first term in office. Any other kid her age then would have gone under the radar over that, but not the daughter of a public figure.

I haven't decided if you just choose to not get the point, or just feel the need to play devil's advocate in the entire matter.

As for the bearing on his future, I guess we'll find out if he'll reform his habits in public venues, or if he'll decide to really test the University policy on drinking.

MojoRisen
3/15/2006, 09:38 PM
Scott D- I get it with Rhett, I am sure he will not drink in public over the next 4 months.

What is your point- Who asked him not to do it? You guys will find out very soon- that you are totally over reacting & as well if you feel that after he is 21 he can't have a beer in Public- You can kiss my arse....

Clearly - all I have said is

A. Bad for recruiting if people were to see half this boards opinions on a good kid like Bomar who made a "little mistake" I call it that because one slap on the wrist may not have gotton his attention because that is why you slap someone on the wrist- because it is not a detrimental behavior.

B. He was recognized to be Rhett Bomar- his actions didn't draw attention at the game his stature did. He is 20 years old and may not completely grasp that yet & I respect him if he doesn't - If his grades are there and he works hard in practice this incident has no bearing on his future.

Frankly- at this point... All of the people who feel they have to challenge my point of view on this- clearly do not get what I have said- It was Dumb and it isn't the end of the world-

Rhetts Accomplishments far exceed his tendency to like to have some beers- if you think he should not do that in public because he is only 20 Years old-

You are correct- However it too me and a lot of people MOST LIKELY TOUNGE AND CHEECK THE COACHES- even though they won't openly admit it- Are not that ****ed at him.

What is wrong with this logic- or is it that you don't get it??

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/15/2006, 10:17 PM
Scott D- I get it with Rhett, I am sure he will not drink in public over the next 4 months.

oh, tater salad will be drunk in pubbbbbblicccccc again.

Scott D
3/16/2006, 03:29 PM

What is your point- Who asked him not to do it? You guys will find out very soon- that you are totally over reacting & as well if you feel that after he is 21 he can't have a beer in Public- You can kiss my arse....

Clearly - all I have said is

A. Bad for recruiting if people were to see half this boards opinions on a good kid like Bomar who made a "little mistake" I call it that because one slap on the wrist may not have gotton his attention because that is why you slap someone on the wrist- because it is not a detrimental behavior.

B. He was recognized to be Rhett Bomar- his actions didn't draw attention at the game his stature did. He is 20 years old and may not completely grasp that yet & I respect him if he doesn't - If his grades are there and he works hard in practice this incident has no bearing on his future.

Frankly- at this point... All of the people who feel they have to challenge my point of view on this- clearly do not get what I have said- It was Dumb and it isn't the end of the world-

Rhetts Accomplishments far exceed his tendency to like to have some beers- if you think he should not do that in public because he is only 20 Years old-

You are correct- However it too me and a lot of people MOST LIKELY TOUNGE AND CHEECK THE COACHES- even though they won't openly admit it- Are not that ****ed at him.

What is wrong with this logic- or is it that you don't get it??

Eh I get what you are saying, and I really don't think the matter is a big deal either. However, my point is that if the action itself is in a habitual chain, then it becomes a detrimental thing. As I last posted, how many MIP's will it take before he crosses the threshold of University policy. Will the coaches cover for him? Will he be forced out of the university like any 'regular' student?

The problem I have with the matter at all, is the fact that it appears to be another poor decision in a chain of poor decisions he's made over the course of the last year. I'd much rather see a major improvement in the decision making process than hear another story about him in a negative light...part of that process is knowing when and where to drink if he so feels the need to.

1stTimeCaller
3/16/2006, 03:32 PM
Scott, what were the other poor decisions in his 'chain of poor decisions'?

Scott D
3/16/2006, 03:41 PM
off the field? his previous MIP comes to mind (I think there are probably a few unreported instances of it as well by people who think they are 'protecting' him and the program, and actually are unintentionally encouraging said behavior)

on the field? the most glaring one is the spike. The problem with his poor decisions on the field is that most can be written off to youth and inexperience. Hopefully he's figured out by now that it's not a good decision to take on a linebacker head to head while running the ball because you see AD do it. ;)

1stTimeCaller
3/16/2006, 03:46 PM
so basically what you are saying is that he messed up off the field once and on the field once and that is a 'chain of poor decisions'?

Even though both were pretty dumb mistakes/decisions I would hardly call them a 'chain of poor decisions'.

Scott D
3/16/2006, 03:57 PM
so basically what you are saying is that he messed up off the field once and on the field once and that is a 'chain of poor decisions'?

Even though both were pretty dumb mistakes/decisions I would hardly call them a 'chain of poor decisions'.

not really a chain in regards to being connected links, but it doesn't take into account anything he may have done prior to setting foot on campus either.

1stTimeCaller
3/16/2006, 03:58 PM
OK, what did he do prior to setting foot on campus?

Mjcpr
3/16/2006, 04:00 PM
not really a chain in regards to being connected links...

I think that's what a chain is.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/16/2006, 04:07 PM
Seriously was underage drinking mentioned in the same breath as slavery or was I just mistaken ;)

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/16/2006, 04:08 PM
Plus rumor has it that Bomar may have drunk a beer in high school....OCPD is investigating.

Scott D
3/16/2006, 04:15 PM
I think that's what a chain is.

always count on Mj to point out the obvious ;)

technically two links is a chain as well :)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/16/2006, 04:25 PM
1tc, the problem is that there is correlation between rhett's behavior and the behavior of other QBs that long recruited both on the field and off. does anyone remember when rawls threw an INT to bassey (i think, don't quote me on that) and then ran off to tackle him and broke his finger? not only is it pretty weak to tackle a guy when you are wearing a blue jersey, but he got his finger broken in bassey's facemask when he pulled him down out of bounds by it.

is bomar exactly like rawls? nope. but the old saying rings true here - "everything is a poison, the only variable is the dose". bomar can be like rawls, just not as heavy of a dose.

as for me, i really don't care about off the field behavior unless it involves uzis. mainly because i think uzis are cool. my bet is that bomar's record against texas will be the single biggest factor in his legacy.

MojoRisen
3/16/2006, 04:25 PM
It was reported in a Chain of behavior that Rhett Bomar consistantly works harder than most on the OU football team, in a chain of behavior somehow accomplished a 3.0 grade point average for 2 full years at Oklahoma. Improved on the field tremendously, is a vocal leader on the team- and likes to drink a couple of beers and chase women on occasion. At his age he doesn't need viagra!