PDA

View Full Version : Need Sattelite HELP!! Moving to Kansas City - OKC TV

Black Diamond
3/15/2006, 12:43 AM
Fellow Sooners,
My company has decided to transfer me to Kansas City. I was wondering what would happen if I bought a sattelite system in Oklahoma City and brought it to KC. I can use my Mom's house in OKC as my billing address and as long as I have the right coordinates I should be able to get all the OKC channels there.
Does anyone know if this will work? I sure hate leaving Oklahoma, but more importantly, I hate missing out on OU news.
BOOMER SOONER!!!!!

olevetonahill
3/15/2006, 01:32 AM
billing addy AND phone #
should work
luck to you in the armpit of America ;)

Vegas Sooner
3/15/2006, 01:56 AM
billing addy AND phone #
should work
luck to you in the armpit of America ;)...thast Nebraska. KC kills OKC, trust me---I have lived in KC, but Cable is better now. I get stoops/sampson show in Vegas--just make sure to get a DVR box so you can record the showa, b/c most are early AM

starclassic tama
3/15/2006, 02:09 AM
i'm not sure if this will work or not. i worked for a directv call center awhile back and they make it sound like the local channels are beamed down directly to that neighborhood, like a spotlight from the sky. so you can't get locals out of your area.

SoonerBorn68
3/15/2006, 03:42 AM
I don't think so. OKC's locals are on a spot beam & can only be picked up within a localized area. I've got locals from OKC & set up my dish when I'm out on location. I have no trouble picking up OKC locals here in Pampa, TX, but couldn't in Puduca, TX (about 90 miles N & E of Lubbock). I could pick up only channels 34, 43, & 62 when I was near Russellville, AR., but had no trouble down by Gainsville.

I went round and round with DTV over this. One of the guys I was working with has his locals out of Dallas and can pick up his anywhere. The explanation I got was that Dallas is on Satellite 101 (the main sat) that only requires a single LNB dish and OKC is on Satellite 119 (spot beamed) which requires the triple LNB and the "tilt".

I was having quite a delimma over this very subject a year ago. I suggest getting the DTV NCAA package. That way you'll get the games played on ABC & the regular dish package will pick up the games on FSN, ESPN, & TBS.

But, if you wanted to try it the easiest way is to just do away with your paper bill (there's an option on directv.com) and pay through the website. That way they'll never know you moved--and don't plug in the phone. It works, I know 'cause I'm doing it.

Good luck!

SoonerShark
3/15/2006, 08:41 AM
Fellow Sooners,
My company has decided to transfer me to Kansas City. I was wondering what would happen if I bought a sattelite system in Oklahoma City and brought it to KC. I can use my Mom's house in OKC as my billing address and as long as I have the right coordinates I should be able to get all the OKC channels there.
Does anyone know if this will work? I sure hate leaving Oklahoma, but more importantly, I hate missing out on OU news.
BOOMER SOONER!!!!!

You can watch OKC tv remotely on your computer wherever you are in the world with proper equipment.

SoonerShark
3/15/2006, 08:47 AM
Fellow Sooners,
BOOMER SOONER!!!!!

Get a Tivo Unit and a Slingbox, have it set up with an uninterrupted power supply back up to prevent temporary power loss, have somebody in OKC's area hook it up to their basic cable and broadband internet and through a broadband router and set it aside. You can watch and control anything you record on Tivo through your computer. I watched things about OU football from OKC TV stations on my laptop in San Diego when I was out there for the bowl game. I also had the game recorded to watch it when I got back after the game via computer and the OKC hook-up.

The slingbox unit is $50 off this week at Best Buy, if I remember correctly.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7250299&type=product&id=1115366460216

www.slingbox.com
www.slingmedia.com

3/15/2006, 09:04 AM
You can say THAT again.

opksooner
3/15/2006, 02:26 PM
Here's a phone # for ya. Mebbe they can give you an answer.

Direct TV of Kansas City
1242 Howell St
N.Kansas City, MO 64116-4006
816-471-8880

KC//CRIMSON
3/15/2006, 08:27 PM
Fellow Sooners,
BOOMER SOONER!!!!!

If it's just games your worried about, don't. We get almost all the OU games with just the local cable service. They had all the games last year and the year before and so on.....

SoonerInKCMO
3/15/2006, 09:07 PM
Annnd... we also get the Stoops, Sampson and Coale shows on MetroSports.

If you think you're going to miss Gary England's weather geeking on 9, just tune to 41 to catch Gary Lezak.

Blitzkrieg
3/15/2006, 09:14 PM
spot beaming. won't work. That said, you'll love KC.

snp
3/16/2006, 02:16 AM
You just don't want to miss out on Fowler and Big Red commercials, do you.

mrowl
3/16/2006, 07:11 AM
the internet isn't good enough for ya?

Soonervol
3/16/2006, 09:23 AM
i'm not sure if this will work or not. i worked for a directv call center awhile back and they make it sound like the local channels are beamed down directly to that neighborhood, like a spotlight from the sky. so you can't get locals out of your area.
Try visiting http://www.dbstalk.comyou might be able to find how much the spot beam reaches out. Just don't at DirectTV look @ Dishnetwork too.

Landthief 1972
3/16/2006, 02:27 PM
You just don't want to miss out on Fowler and Big Red commercials, do you.

Geez, somebody tell the guy from Big Red this for me:

YOU ARE NOT 20 YEARS OLD, GOING TO COLLEGE. CUT THAT HAIR AND DRESS LIKE SOMEONE YOUR AGE.

Oh, and the yellow construction boots you're wearing went out of style when I went to college back when OU still sucked in football.

soonerboomer93
3/16/2006, 02:44 PM
Try visiting http://www.dbstalk.comyou might be able to find how much the spot beam reaches out. Just don't at DirectTV look @ Dishnetwork too.

spotbeams are only big enough to cover the dma (designated market area) for individual local markets. the okc spotbeam will not reach KC.

There's also alot of rules and regulations on local markets and who can receive them. If a company had cause to believe that you were using a different billing address to get out of market locals, they'd have to remove the locals. (just an fyi)

the person who can get dallas locals anywhere (probably just the big 4 networks) is probably because dallas can be used as distant networks with direct tv.