PDA

View Full Version : I am a human pincushion

proud gonzo
3/14/2006, 11:20 PM
I was tested for allergies today and I'll start allergy shots next week sometime.

They took 3 x-rays of my head, stole a syringe-full of my blood, poked my right arm once, my back probably a couple hundred times, and my left arm twice.

I'm allergic to peanuts, almonds, melon, shellfish, lobster, oysters, strawberries, corn, rice, wheat, oats, yeast, carrots, nuts, and some other things i don't remember. I'm allergic to basically every tree and grass that exists, along with almost every weed and mold they test for. (yes, har har, weed, i know. ironically, i'm not allergic to hemp :rolleyes: ) also, i'm allergic to dogs, cats, and birds.

thankfully most of the food allergies aren't very strong, so i can just ignore them. And most of the strong ones i don' tlike anyway, so it's not a problem to just avoid them. (seafood, melon, etc) Though the Dr. did tell me to avoid peanuts for two weeks and then try them again to see how i react.

it looks like somebody used my back as a dartboard.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/14/2006, 11:28 PM

did they get a bullseye?

[runs]

Czar Soonerov
3/14/2006, 11:41 PM
I'm allergic to....melon...

Dang, that SUCCS.

OklahomaTrombone
3/14/2006, 11:43 PM
I'd use the peanut allergy to **** people off on planes.

proud gonzo
3/14/2006, 11:45 PM
Dang, that SUCCS.
watermelon, cantaloupe.... i don't like them anyway. no big deal. :D

Czar Soonerov
3/14/2006, 11:46 PM
I love melons. :eddie:

SoonerBorn68
3/14/2006, 11:50 PM
Dang, that does suck. I went to the allegist when I was a teenager & basically got the same list as you, practically everything. Watch out 'cause they'll want to put you on some weird diet of some green mush or expensive "non allergetic" foods.

Did you ever try the local honey?

proud gonzo
3/14/2006, 11:53 PM
not yet--i'm in kansas now. the allergies that were bothering me last week were tree allergies anyway.

he didn't tell me to try non-allergenic foods. just to avoid the few i'm pretty allergic to. he knows i already know all the normal things to eliminate allergens from your environment. most of those i don't have to worry about too much. just the shots.

BajaOklahoma
3/15/2006, 12:18 AM
The tests for food allergies are not considered extremely reliable. That said, it is a great place to start and some people respond very well to changes in the diet.
What is more significant is that you are allergic to so many things. Restrict those foods so that you aren't having very many of them in a short amount of time. Peanut oil is in many of the prepared foods, so read the labels.
Also, if it is a bad time with the environmental allergies, don't make it worse by adding in the food allergens.
Good luck! Allergies suck.

Okla-homey
3/15/2006, 07:10 AM
I was tested for allergies today and I'll start allergy shots next week sometime.

They took 3 x-rays of my head, stole a syringe-full of my blood, poked my right arm once, my back probably a couple hundred times, and my left arm twice.

I'm allergic to peanuts, almonds, melon, shellfish, lobster, oysters, strawberries, corn, rice, wheat, oats, yeast, carrots, nuts, and some other things i don't remember. I'm allergic to basically every tree and grass that exists, along with almost every weed and mold they test for. (yes, har har, weed, i know. ironically, i'm not allergic to hemp :rolleyes: ) also, i'm allergic to dogs, cats, and birds.

thankfully most of the food allergies aren't very strong, so i can just ignore them. And most of the strong ones i don' tlike anyway, so it's not a problem to just avoid them. (seafood, melon, etc) Though the Dr. did tell me to avoid peanuts for two weeks and then try them again to see how i react.

Have mercy child. Its a good thing you live in modern times. If you lived a hundred years ago, you would shortly have been overcome by phlegm and died a horrible snotty death.

3/15/2006, 07:14 AM
A life without peanuts is not worth living.

sanantoniosooner
3/15/2006, 08:00 AM
Peanuts are the bologna of the nut family.

TopDaugIn2000
3/15/2006, 09:49 AM
wow. what CAN you eat????

out of that list I'm allergic to almonds. that's pretty much the only food allergy I know of.

slickdawg
3/15/2006, 09:54 AM
I love melons. :eddie:

HAW!!!!!!

:D

slickdawg
3/15/2006, 10:03 AM

Are we related? I don't have some of your food allergies, but I've got all
of your environmental allergies.

I do believe the shots will make a big difference with the environmental
allergies in 6-12 months, they did for me.

Some food allergies are just brutal and you can't shake them.

I am so allergic to barley and hops, I can't drink beer. People think it's
because I grew up baptist, I have to tell them no, I about choke to death.
:(

Mjcpr
3/15/2006, 10:04 AM
I am so allergic to barley and hops, I can't drink beer. People think it's because I grew up baptist, I have to tell them no, I about choke to death.
:(

You poor, poor man.

slickdawg
3/15/2006, 10:15 AM
You poor, poor man.

It sucks.

Mjcpr
3/15/2006, 10:17 AM
Peanuts are the bologna of the nut family.

Maybe, but Peanut Pony just doesn't have the same ring to it.

OUDoc
3/15/2006, 10:41 AM
I never thought Charlie Brown was all that funny.

Viking Kitten
3/15/2006, 10:46 AM
Had that done too PG.

I am likewise allergic to a lot of stuff, but some of it, like almonds, I just eat anyway because I love it so much. I'll just eat almonds til my tongue gets all mottled and funky looking. Then I'll stick my funky tongue out at Czar and say "Umm 'ere anth 'ive 'nme a gniss." I think it really grosses him out.

I have also always hated any kind of melon as well as cucumbers. I recently read that melon is a cousin of the ragweed family, to which I am really, really allergic, and that cucumbers are in the melon family. I am wondering if there is a connection.

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/15/2006, 10:49 AM
Heh.

You said 'Melon'...

Norm In Norman
3/15/2006, 10:58 AM
Is it worth getting the tests? I can imagine me paying $500 or however much for the test just for them to tell me to take flonase, which is what I'm doing anyway.

Viking Kitten
3/15/2006, 11:03 AM
Heh.

You said 'Melon'...

Yeah, I just find the taste of melon to be really gross. Apparently some people like it though.

Mjcpr
3/15/2006, 11:10 AM
Whenever somebody says 'melon' as opposed to 'watermelon' or 'cantaloupe' or whatever, I always thought it sounded hillbilly.

Carry on....

Okla-homey
3/15/2006, 11:12 AM
Is it worth getting the tests? I can imagine me paying $500 or however much for the test just for them to tell me to take flonase, which is what I'm doing anyway.

I thought the point of this medieval inquisitive torture was to determine if the patient required simple bleeding or the more invasive crushing with rocks.

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/15/2006, 11:13 AM
Yeah, I just find the taste of melon to be really gross. Apparently some people like it though.

Seed spitting?

I'm sorry...

Czar Soonerov
3/15/2006, 11:47 AM

I admit that sometimes it can smell not so fresh, but once you get in there and sink your teeth into the juicy meat of the melon, it's delish!

SoonerInKCMO
3/15/2006, 12:51 PM
Have mercy child. Its a good thing you live in modern times. If you lived a hundred years ago, you would shortly have been overcome by phlegm and died a horrible snotty death.

But were people as likely to have this many allergies then as they are now? I've read a little bit (very little) about how some researchers think that many allergies people exhibit these days are linked to the hyper-clean environment some folks grow up in these days.

I should research that some more and report back. :)

slickdawg
3/15/2006, 12:55 PM
This reminds me, another violent allergy for me is vinegar. It's the work of the devil.

Okla-homey
3/15/2006, 01:01 PM
But were people as likely to have this many allergies then as they are now? I've read a little bit (very little) about how some researchers think that many allergies people exhibit these days are linked to the hyper-clean environment some folks grow up in these days.

I should research that some more and report back. :)

Ike the scientist will prolly be along shortly, or OU Doc to opine, but it makes sense.

That said, don't discount the fact that mortality rates were higher back then which lend support to the view that if your festering thatched-roof hovel w/mud floor and adjoining animal pen did not kill you in infancy, you were probably allergy free anyway. Kinda "survival of the fittest" as it were. Now, because of all the meds (and chiropractic adjustments) and stuff we are able to coax life along in inferior physical specimens who would not have survived in earlier times ;)

That is not to imply at all that PG is an inferior being -- she has a HUGE brain and knows how to use it. Therefore, even in medieval mudville, she would surely devise a cunning plan to stay away from allergens.

SoonerInKCMO
3/15/2006, 01:07 PM
Ike the scientist will prolly be along shortly, or OU Doc to opine, but it makes sense.

That said, don't discount the fact that mortality rates were higher back then which lend support to the view that if your festering thatched-roof hovel w/mud floor and adjoining animal pen did not kill you in infancy, you were probably allergy free anyway. Kinda "survival of the fittest" as it were. Now, because of all the meds (and chiropractic adjustments) and stuff we are able to coax life along in inferior physical specimens who would not have survived in earlier times ;)

PG gonna kick your ***. :texan:

Okla-homey
3/15/2006, 01:11 PM
PG gonna kick your ***. :texan:

I anticipated that and fixed it.

Ike
3/15/2006, 01:18 PM

I have no earthly idea, but it does make sense. matters of medical research are way outside of my area of expertise.

crawfish
3/15/2006, 02:18 PM

That is not to imply at all that PG is an inferior being -- she has a HUGE brain and knows how to use it. Therefore, even in medieval mudville, she would surely devise a cunning plan to stay away from allergens.

This is exactly why I think genetic engineering may be a necessity for the future of mankind. And PGKind. :)

Ike
3/15/2006, 02:46 PM
This is exactly why I think genetic engineering may be a necessity for the future of mankind. And PGKind. :)

careful. you might run afoul of the president's "No Manimals" initiative that way, if somehow we borrowed a gene or two from other animals in the process...

GottaHavePride
3/15/2006, 03:16 PM

The tests are definitely worth it. I, much like PG, was allergic to about every tree and grass and weed known to man, along with corn, potatoes, and oranges. After three years of allergy shots (back around 4th grade) I do pretty much whatever the heck I want. All I take now is the lowest strength of Advair once a day to control my asthma and Flonase when my nose acts up.

NormanPride
3/15/2006, 03:31 PM
So are these new allergies, or what? I thought you had said that you didn't used to get so sick..

Either way, I'm glad you know what to avoid now.

BeetDigger
3/15/2006, 03:36 PM
I admit that sometimes it can smell not so fresh, but once you get in there and sink your teeth into the juicy meat of the melon, it's delish!

wOOt.

proud gonzo
3/15/2006, 07:22 PM
So are these new allergies, or what? I thought you had said that you didn't used to get so sick..

Either way, I'm glad you know what to avoid now.

I've always had allergies, I just don't think the tree ones had ever hit me this hard before. (meaning, they'd never made my throat swell up before) I don't think they're different ones than i've always had though.

BajaOklahoma
3/15/2006, 08:53 PM

Actually, one of the more popular theories making the rounds is that people with allergies are the ones who would have been the healthiest 200 years - before hygiene and antibiotics. Their immune systems were very active and sensitive to all sorts of bacteria and viruses - fighting them off and allowing the person to survive.
With better hygiene and less exposure to bacteria and viruses, these high functioning immune system focus on any and all intruders. The immune systems are so happy to have a job to do, they over react and we see the signs of allergies.
So, in fact, people with allergies have the strongest immune systems.

Okla-homey
3/15/2006, 09:00 PM
Actually, one of the more popular theories making the rounds is that people with allergies are the ones who would have been the healthiest 200 years - before hygiene and antibiotics. Their immune systems were very active and sensitive to all sorts of bacteria and viruses - fighting them off and allowing the person to survive.
With better hygiene and less exposure to bacteria and viruses, these high functioning immune system focus on any and all intruders. The immune systems are so happy to have a job to do, they over react and we see the signs of allergies.
So, in fact, people with allergies have the strongest immune systems.

But they wouldn't have been able to procreate because their constant snorting, sneezing, watery eyes and snot-encrusted-ness would have been a turn-off...which pretty much sends a crossbow bolt right into the left arsecheek of your theory.:D

proud gonzo
3/15/2006, 11:12 PM
But they wouldn't have been able to procreate because their constant snorting, sneezing, watery eyes and snot-encrusted-ness would have been a turn-off...which pretty much sends a crossbow bolt right into the left arsecheek of your theory.:D

Phoebe's sexy phlegm disagrees with you. :D

http://www.geocities.com/beautymcpretty/picsong4.jpg