PDA

View Full Version : Spring Football...

BASSooner
3/14/2006, 04:52 PM
I know we are looking forward to it, however, we are also looking for HUGE changes coming out of this. Who do you guys expect to come out as a new man? Who do you guys think will have the best breakthrough? Expecting any big surprises from players to come out and show great potential? Discuss...

bigdsooner
3/14/2006, 05:41 PM
i expect us to come out, roll every mutha f***er on our schedule, take a break to watch AD accept the heisman and then totally ****in rock en route to nat'l title #8...

i think we see RB become the qb he should be, AD is unstoppable. i think iglesias & kelly are gonna be HUGE this year. i cant go on, just read the top paragraph...its gonna happen

yermom
3/14/2006, 07:09 PM
the idea of Bomar and the WR's having a season under their belts, and AD getting a spring to actually work makes me happy

BASSooner
3/14/2006, 07:19 PM
We had no problems executing in 1st quarter games. What I would like to see is Stoops making his players run 4th quarter drills over and over and over again. Heck, he should teach the players to treat every quarter a 4th quarter.

Rhino
3/14/2006, 11:00 PM
I'm just wondering who our running backs will be during scrimmages.

Gutierrez is out.
Peterson won't scrimmage (and if he does, I'll be very angry)
Isn't Patrick recovering from shoulder surgery?

Who's going to run the ball? Zaslaw and Clapp?

FlatheadSooner
3/14/2006, 11:22 PM
I'm just wondering who our running backs will be during scrimmages.

Gutierrez is out.
Peterson won't scrimmage (and if he does, I'll be very angry)
Isn't Patrick recovering from shoulder surgery?

Who's going to run the ball? Zaslaw and Clapp?

DeMarco Murray

RB 6-0 185 0.00 Las Vegas Bishop Gorman, NV
Oklahoma
Very impressive the past couple of years at the U.S. Army combine, he combines breakaway speed with good vision, balance and instincts.

goingoneight
3/14/2006, 11:30 PM
DeMarco Murray pulls a Barry Sanders and does phenominally well returning kicks and punts...
Adrian Peterson breaks OU and BIG 12 RB records and wins Heisman...
Rhett Bomar is the Josh Heupel of 2006, Halzle the Jason White of 2006
Kelly and Iglesias perform better than Bradley and Clayton.
Paul Thompson is spotted a few downs only to lauch a full-fielder on a lateral.
Young offensive line comes on strong under new OL coach.

McCoy and Gresham light it up (the competition, that is...)...
RRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSS knocks out some more recievers TU 2005 style. Defensive player of the year.
Defense learns how to tackle, guard the passing game, and catch a ball thrown at them.
Oh, brother... we better let the offesne do the work.

Back to reality, though... our depth chart is the strongest in the conference as far as experience and talent go. Recruiting class strength goes to the whorns, though.

If OU eases past Oregon and Texass, I see no reason why they don't go for the crystal ball again. Unless they pull a Nate Hybl and lose to the cow pokers or the faggies. Lord, please no. I'm not so certain that OU can compete at the top 3 level next year, but I'd love a good surprise. If they win out in BIG 12 and conference, it will take a serious change for them to compete with up and coming teams like LSU, tOSU, ND, FSU again. A National Title game could be a disaster... but 55-19 is better than not going at all. It just goes to show who is clearly the better team that particular year...

BASSooner
3/15/2006, 12:09 AM
This year we have a slim chance of winning a national championship. Next year, without AD we have a better chance than this year, with AD we win the championship without a doubt.

rainiersooner
3/15/2006, 02:55 AM
DeMarco Murray

RB 6-0 185 0.00 Las Vegas Bishop Gorman, NV
Oklahoma
Very impressive the past couple of years at the U.S. Army combine, he combines breakaway speed with good vision, balance and instincts.

Murray will be good.

Rhino
3/15/2006, 11:33 AM
I'm excited about Murray too.

Still doesn't mean he'll be here when spring football starts on Monday.

sooneron
3/15/2006, 03:00 PM
DeMarco Murray pulls a Barry Sanders and does phenominally well returning kicks and punts...
Adrian Peterson breaks OU and BIG 12 RB records and wins Heisman...
Rhett Bomar is the Josh Heupel of 2006, Halzle the Jason White of 2006
Kelly and Iglesias perform better than Bradley and Clayton.
Paul Thompson is spotted a few downs only to lauch a full-fielder on a lateral.
Young offensive line comes on strong under new OL coach.

McCoy and Gresham light it up (the competition, that is...)...
RRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSS knocks out some more recievers TU 2005 style. Defensive player of the year.
Defense learns how to tackle, guard the passing game, and catch a ball thrown at them.
Oh, brother... we better let the offesne do the work.

Back to reality, though... our depth chart is the strongest in the conference as far as experience and talent go. Recruiting class strength goes to the whorns, though.

If OU eases past Oregon and Texass, I see no reason why they don't go for the crystal ball again. Unless they pull a Nate Hybl and lose to the cow pokers or the faggies. Lord, please no. I'm not so certain that OU can compete at the top 3 level next year, but I'd love a good surprise. If they win out in BIG 12 and conference, it will take a serious change for them to compete with up and coming teams like LSU, tOSU, ND, FSU again. A National Title game could be a disaster... but 55-19 is better than not going at all. It just goes to show who is clearly the better team that particular year...
You had me until the Hybl comment. That was classless and untrue.

CobraKai
3/15/2006, 03:07 PM

Maybe for 2001 OSU, but otherwise unless Hybl was playing safety it would be hard to blame him for the other losses where we gave up about 107 big plays over the top. I think Rashaun Woods is still running back there somewhere.

yermom
3/15/2006, 03:49 PM
yeah, the 28 points we scored in the 2002 OSU game would have won any game we lost in 2001

sooneron
3/15/2006, 04:42 PM
Maybe for 2001 OSU, but otherwise unless Hybl was playing safety it would be hard to blame him for the other losses where we gave up about 107 big plays over the top. I think Rashaun Woods is still running back there somewhere.
True. We prolly can blame a loss on a guy with a bum collarbone and a lingering concussion. That Oline may have been as bad as last years. I'll say that N8 wasn't the take the game by the horns type qb to drive the field when it counted, but those guys are very rare.

This is pure soonerus bait, btw...:D

RedstickSooner
3/15/2006, 07:39 PM
We had no problems executing in 1st quarter games. What I would like to see is Stoops making his players run 4th quarter drills over and over and over again. Heck, he should teach the players to treat every quarter a 4th quarter.

Uhm, no.

We should tell the players to treat every quarter as the FIRST QUARTER.

Duh.

:D

goingoneight
3/17/2006, 09:11 PM
Look, I get tired of apologizing for analogies. If I could do it any better, I would, but Nate was great. Just not "Nate the Great." He didn't fumble as much as Bomar, but I see comparisons is all I meant by that. So if you think I torture a Nate Hybl VooDoo doll every night, you're wrong... and get over it.
Since when does America like someone who sugar coats the truth? I thought that was why you guys didn't like Mack Brown (the "I'll speak for Chrissy" situation).

Big Red Ron
3/17/2006, 09:45 PM
Honestly, the wierd thing about N8 is that he's the only OU QB in the NFL. Which is why we all understand how fragile an NFL career can be. Three plays maybe evn two ended Josh and Jason's shot.

william_brasky
3/19/2006, 07:09 AM
in regards to the original question: we must get the OL figured out. not just starters. 2 deep. i don't like it when they switch those guys around during the season.

SoonerProphet
3/19/2006, 10:13 AM
in regards to the original question: we must get the OL figured out. not just starters. 2 deep. i don't like it when they switch those guys around during the season.

yep, and I want actual offensive tackles playing the offensive tackle position.

Jason White's Third Knee
3/19/2006, 10:22 AM
Look, I get tired of apologizing for analogies. If I could do it any better, I would, but Nate was great. Just not "Nate the Great." He didn't fumble as much as Bomar, but I see comparisons is all I meant by that. So if you think I torture a Nate Hybl VooDoo doll every night, you're wrong... and get over it.
Since when does America like someone who sugar coats the truth? I thought that was why you guys didn't like Mack Brown (the "I'll speak for Chrissy" situation).

I think that the problem is that Nate was a winner and you are calling him a loser. Nate wasn't quite as athletic as White and he wasn't as heady as Heupel, but blaming him for those losses is rediculous.

As I recall it was Brandon Everage getting torched time and time again and trying to get Nate to keep up with a torrent of big plays is totally unfair. I and the other posters simply think you are wrong. It has nothing to do with "truth" at all.

Big ups to Nate. I see no comparison to Bomar at all... from any of the previous qbs.

Rhino
3/20/2006, 02:30 AM
in regards to the original question: we must get the OL figured out. not just starters. 2 deep. i don't like it when they switch those guys around during the season. Won't happen this spring.

With Quinn and Cooper both out, and presumably White, I don't think we have a true guard that will be involved in spring practices.

william_brasky
3/20/2006, 06:09 AM
Won't happen this spring.

With Quinn and Cooper both out, and presumably White, I don't think we have a true guard that will be involved in spring practices.

damnit!!!

and thanks for the info. i didn't know those guys were out for the spring.

SoonersEnFuego
3/20/2006, 09:10 AM
Worried about Tackle play. Not so much the Guard play. How are they going to do?

Although, the guards should get a good workout from our interior D-Line.

boomersooner28
3/20/2006, 09:40 AM
Do we have the talent on campus to win MNC #8? Yes. The HUGE question mark is with the HUGE dudes up front. We lost 4 starters on the O-Line. If Patton can patch together a O-Line we can and will be dangerous.

Keys to the season:

1) Offensive line
2) AD has to stay healthy
3) Bomar has to stay healthy
4) Team chemistry- we're still young, leadership will be huge.

sooneron
3/20/2006, 09:55 AM
Do we have the talent on campus to win MNC #8? Yes. The HUGE question mark is with the HUGE dudes up front. We lost 4 starters on the O-Line. If Patton can patch together a O-Line we can and will be dangerous.

Keys to the season:

1) Offensive line
2) AD has to stay healthy
3) Bomar has to stay healthy
4) Team chemistry- we're still young, leadership will be huge.
Uh, Dbs anyone?

boomersooner28
3/20/2006, 10:05 AM
Secondary is still young, but most of them have experience. Reggie is gonna get time at CB, DJ has the other one locked down...would really help if Walker can come in healthy and stay that way. At Safety, Harris, Carter, and Clayton can get the job done.

BASSooner
3/20/2006, 05:34 PM
I like what I'm hearing....

william_brasky
3/20/2006, 08:59 PM
Nic Harris needs to make some plays this spring.

The Consumate Showman
3/20/2006, 09:24 PM
Honestly, the wierd thing about N8 is that he's the only OU QB in the NFL. Which is why we all understand how fragile an NFL career can be. Three plays maybe evn two ended Josh and Jason's shot.

Actually, N8 is not on a roster right now. I saw him at pro day and he said that he came to throw the ball for some teams and it looked pretty good that he might get picked up by one of the teams there as a backup.

Otherwise, N8 is probably headed for Europe. I think he would do good in European FB. At least he would see the field over there......

usmc-sooner
3/20/2006, 09:34 PM
I think that the problem is that Nate was a winner and you are calling him a loser. Nate wasn't quite as athletic as White and he wasn't as heady as Heupel, but blaming him for those losses is rediculous.

As I recall it was Brandon Everage getting torched time and time again and trying to get Nate to keep up with a torrent of big plays is totally unfair. I and the other posters simply think you are wrong. It has nothing to do with "truth" at all.

Big ups to Nate. I see no comparison to Bomar at all... from any of the previous qbs.

so you don't like him singling out Nate so you respond by singling out Everage
both of you guys go to your rooms and don't post until tommorrow

eastxsooner
3/20/2006, 11:50 PM
Word is Schmitty has Manuel Johnson in the 4.35 range. He has a gun for an arm *60 yd. ropes while on the run* for the trick plays and the hands of Clayton.. He will be the home run threat while Kelly and Iglesius will be possesion types and red zone targets.

snp
3/21/2006, 04:22 AM
Word is Schmitty has Manuel Johnson in the 4.35 range. He has a gun for an arm *60 yd. ropes while on the run* for the trick plays and the hands of Clayton.. He will be the home run threat while Kelly and Iglesius will be possesion types and red zone targets.

Hands of Clayton and runs 4.35 is better then Clayton. I think that's an exageration.

eastxsooner
3/21/2006, 01:11 PM
Ok... just watch. He (Manuel) was the fastest incoming freshman last yr. when clocked at OU in the summer. His hands won't be a problem, i assure you. Clayton's freshman yr. he was 5'9 155 lbs. from Arlington. Be patient. The offense NEEDS that home run threat to keep the safties back which will open up AD and the underneath stuff for Jauquin and Malcolm.

snp
3/21/2006, 02:24 PM
:confused: I'm not knocking the kid, but to compare him to Clayton when he has caught, what, 10 passes? is pretty ridiculous.

I hope for the best for him, and the rest of our ridiculous young WRs. Man we got some talent there.

And I can't go scouring the Internet since I have a paper due in a few hours, but everything I checked said JI and Huggins were faster.

Jason White's Third Knee
3/23/2006, 03:28 PM
so you don't like him singling out Nate so you respond by singling out Everage
both of you guys go to your rooms and don't post until tommorrow

Yep. You remember those plays, right? Those big plays were his. aTm AND osu. I don't like people blaming the qb when he had nothing to do with the 35 points scored on us. We just got torched on big plays. Otherwise, we are in a position to win.

I was really down on Everage from then on. Same with Pool. I think we've been really weak in center field for several years now. Especially with all of the hype those guys received.

Egeo
3/24/2006, 12:49 AM
maybe if those offenses of ours hadnt gone 3 and out almost every series

Rhino
3/24/2006, 01:09 AM
Yep. You remember those plays, right? Those big plays were his. aTm AND osu. I don't like people blaming the qb when he had nothing to do with the 35 points scored on us. We just got torched on big plays. Otherwise, we are in a position to win.

I was really down on Everage from then on. Same with Pool. I think we've been really weak in center field for several years now. Especially with all of the hype those guys received. Everage isn't safe from blame by any means, but a majority of both of those games the person screwing up was Woolfolk.

Desert Sapper
3/24/2006, 05:18 AM
I see no comparison to Bomar at all... from any of the previous qbs.

I do...Jason White when he had two good knees. I just hope Bomar doesn't have any catastrophic injuries.

Jason White's Third Knee
3/24/2006, 07:12 AM
Everage isn't safe from blame by any means, but a majority of both of those games the person screwing up was Woolfolk.

Our Dbacks were certainly having trouble. Even Strait had a chance to pull of another huge endzone deflection. I haven't seen the games in a while, but the image of that wide open post pattern haunts me. Yes, the corner had responsibility, but the FS should have had him after the break. Everage was on his ***, as I recall. TWICE.

Anyway, that was my first trip to stillwater. They were ungracious, to say the least.

Jason White's Third Knee
3/24/2006, 07:14 AM
I do...Jason White when he had two good knees. I just hope Bomar doesn't have any catastrophic injuries.

Yeah, kinda. Damnit! I wanted to hold my ground on that one.

CatfishSooner
3/24/2006, 11:39 AM
I'm ready to see McCoy tear it up...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/24/2006, 12:08 PM
Ok... just watch. He (Manuel) was the fastest incoming freshman last yr. when clocked at OU in the summer. His hands won't be a problem, i assure you. Clayton's freshman yr. he was 5'9 155 lbs. from Arlington. Be patient. The offense NEEDS that home run threat to keep the safties back which will open up AD and the underneath stuff for Jauquin and Malcolm.

he wasn't the fastest in pads.

The Consumate Showman
3/24/2006, 01:06 PM
^ name that sooner....