PDA

View Full Version : Risers and Sliders

CoSooner
3/14/2006, 01:38 PM
Ten players moving up, five down on NFL draft boards (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/03/10/pauline.risers.sliders/index.html)

RISERS:

5. J.D. Runnells, FB, Oklahoma: Falling under the radar last year, the 235-pound lead blocker ran a 40 in 4.55 and bench-pressed 225 pounds 28 times.

10. Eric Bassey, DB, Oklahoma: A onetime up-and-comer for the Sooners, Bassey clocked a 4.35 and looked effective in position drills.

Boomer.....
3/14/2006, 02:02 PM
That is great for J.D. and Bassey has always been a good athlete, just never could show it on the field.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/14/2006, 02:12 PM
3. Jami Hightower, OL, Texas A&M: Once a highly touted prospect, the 6-foot-4 Hightower weighed nearly 370 pounds and completed just 22 repetitions on the bench.

i'll bet he and jorvorskie go to lunch a lot

sooneron
3/14/2006, 02:12 PM
That is great for J.D. and Bassey has always been a good athlete, just never could show it on the field.
That and being shoe-horned into a position that he was not made for.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/14/2006, 02:35 PM
That and being shoe-horned into a position that he was not made for.

like football player?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/14/2006, 02:36 PM
that was just wrong

Desert Sapper
3/14/2006, 02:58 PM
It's just too bad he couldn't stay at SS. He was pretty good as a redshirt freshman in 2002. He was causing fumbles, intercepting the ball, tackling for loss, etc. Oh well, maybe the pros will put him in the right place.

caphorns
3/14/2006, 03:11 PM
8. Danieal Manning, DB-RS, Abilene Christian: The small-school product took part in Texas A&M's pro day and was the best athlete on the field. Running the 40 in 4.45, he improved on his combine time by almost .5 of a second.

Someone explain to me the logic of inviting a player from a small college to come to your school's pro day and own every last one of them on the field? How does this help your program? Did they charge him a fee?

Weird.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/14/2006, 03:16 PM
the scouts probably arranged it. what is weird is that kid originally decommitted from aTm to go to nebraska. he mouthed off and of course then didn't qualify.

sooneron
3/14/2006, 03:37 PM
It's just too bad he couldn't stay at SS. He was pretty good as a redshirt freshman in 2002. He was causing fumbles, intercepting the ball, tackling for loss, etc. Oh well, maybe the pros will put him in the right place.
:confused:
biting on play action... getting burned deep...

he was a true corner and they tried to play him as a safety. That little M Stoops project may have cost him a decent career. By the time that he was moved to corner, it was too late and he was behind the learning curve.

caphorns
3/14/2006, 03:51 PM
the scouts probably arranged it. what is weird is that kid originally decommitted from aTm to go to nebraska. he mouthed off and of course then didn't qualify.

Well, I guess we have to consider that it all went down in College Station - where weird is normal. Sounds like Fran doesn't have much control over his kids pro day experience. Unless Reggie wanted the guy there??

TexasLidig8r
3/14/2006, 03:53 PM
Sliders? For a second, I thought this was a thread about White Castle.

Red October
3/14/2006, 04:23 PM
Sliders? For a second, I thought this was a thread about White Castle.

Mmmmmm. me love some White Castle. We have only one Krystal here in Houston that I know of....

OUmillenium
3/15/2006, 11:09 AM

...and covering nobody in the OSUx and TA&M games

mental midget with great athletic ability - see onyenegecha

SoonerMooner
3/15/2006, 11:36 AM
...and covering nobody in the OSUx and TA&M games

mental midget with great athletic ability - see onyenegecha

You mean an assumed great athlete. Yes, Onyenegecha has great size for his position, but great athlete? See OU pro day results. He made the scouts roll their eyes in disgust. He wasn't even able to successfully complete the cone drill.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/15/2006, 11:39 AM
bassey was on the honor roll

FaninAma
3/15/2006, 03:11 PM
Bassey just didn't seem to have good football instincts.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/15/2006, 03:42 PM
Bassey just didn't seem to have good football instincts.

i agree. he just never seemed to be able to take a risk for fear of failure. instead of having confidence that he could make the tackle at the LOS he would run with the guy until he was sure he could make the tackle. this normally cost us 20+ yards.

NormanPride
3/15/2006, 03:55 PM
i agree. he just never seemed to be able to take a risk for fear of failure. instead of having confidence that he could make the tackle at the LOS he would run with the guy until he was sure he could make the tackle. this normally cost us 20+ yards.

Can you blame him? The guy's gotten burned more than Fire Marshall Bill...

I felt bad for Eric. He always worked so hard, and finally started doing well in his last season... I just wish it could have been on a better team.