PDA

View Full Version : Ever wonder about the politics of your sports heros

royalfan5
3/13/2006, 04:23 PM
God bless freedom of information

http://www.newsmeat.com/sports_political_donations/

Turns out :eddie: likes to give money to the G.O.P.

SicEmBaylor
3/13/2006, 04:26 PM
God bless freedom of information

http://www.newsmeat.com/sports_political_donations/

Turns out :eddie: likes to give money to the G.O.P.

I'll see your Sutton and raise you Lee Corso.

OklahomaTrombone
3/13/2006, 04:26 PM
not really.

royalfan5
3/13/2006, 04:27 PM
I'll see your Sutton and raise you Lee Corso.
I wasn't making a political statement, I just wanted to an excuse to use the :eddie: feature.

Skysooner
3/13/2006, 04:31 PM
Not really either. Listening to a sports figure espouse a political opinion is like watching Jessica Lange testify in front of Congress on homeless issues (at least I think I remember it was this topic) because she had played a homeless person once on a movie.

mdklatt
3/13/2006, 04:32 PM
I don't want to know about the politics or personal lives of any celebrities that I like. And I don't care about the politics or personal lives of celebrities that I don't like.

mdklatt
3/13/2006, 04:35 PM
Not really either. Listening to a sports figure espouse a political opinion is like watching Jessica Lange testify in front of Congress on homeless issues (at least I think I remember it was this topic) because she had played a homeless person once on a movie.

What makes sports figures (or any other celebrity) less qualified to give their political opinions than anybody else? Just because they say something doesn't mean you have to agree with it.

Skysooner
3/13/2006, 04:37 PM
Not saying they aren't qualified to give it, but I don't think their celebrity entitles them to a public opinion any more than mine.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/13/2006, 04:42 PM
Sure, celebrity doesn't translate into economic or political logic. Take Hollyweird, please.(ba-da-bing)

mdklatt
3/13/2006, 04:46 PM
I don't think their celebrity entitles them to a public opinion any more than mine.

What's stopping you from making your opinions public?

Skysooner
3/13/2006, 04:52 PM
Nothing, but nobody is going to put me on television to state political opinions. Do they have the right? Absolutely. Do I have to listen to it? Not a chance. Basically I was saying that a sports figure is going to have no influence on my opinions on anything (except on the sport they play). I feel the same way about most things. I listen to informed opinions, and I have no basis for opinion on goes for an informed opinion among celebrities. Just because they sound good doesn't make them right.

mdklatt
3/13/2006, 05:00 PM
Basically I was saying that a sports figure is going to have no influence on my opinions on anything (except on the sport they play).

Oh, I misunderstood what you were getting at. A lot of people think celebrities shouldn't be allowed to express opinions at all. It's their absolute right to make jackasses of themselves, and our absolute right to mock them for it.

JohnnyMack
3/13/2006, 05:00 PM
No more than I wonder about the sporting ability of my political heroes.

picasso
3/13/2006, 05:03 PM
big spenders there. hard to guage because I'm sure some of the donations were intended for friend types.

Skysooner
3/13/2006, 05:07 PM
Oh, I misunderstood what you were getting at. A lot of people think celebrities shouldn't be allowed to express opinions at all. It's their absolute right to make jackasses of themselves, and our absolute right to mock them for it.

I totally agree with that.

3/13/2006, 05:26 PM
I thought it was a cool link.

GrapevineSooner
3/13/2006, 05:38 PM
Basically I was saying that a sports figure is going to have no influence on my opinions on anything (except on the sport they play).

If only everybody thought the same you did. ;)

TUSooner
3/13/2006, 05:41 PM
I liked the link. Keep in mind that was contributions fron 1978 to the present. A lot of stuiff has happened in almost 30 years, Plus, like picasso said, some of that is probably for "friends" or something, not necessarily a blanket endorsement of a party's platform.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/13/2006, 05:44 PM
I liked the link. Keep in mind that was contributions fron 1978 to the present. A lot of stuiff has happened in almost 30 years, Plus, like picasso said, some of that is probably for "friends" or something, not necessarily a blanket endorsement of a party's platform.Yeah my understanding is that:eddie: is a big D. Watkins has a lot of support from across party lines.

mdklatt
3/13/2006, 06:22 PM
Yeah my understanding is that:eddie: is a big D.

Drunk?

SicEmBaylor
3/13/2006, 06:39 PM
If you wnat to check on your neighbors or favorite celebrity; opensecrets.org is a great website.

homerSimpsonsBrain
3/13/2006, 07:27 PM
No more than I wonder about the sporting ability of my political heroes.

I heard Ted Kennedy runs a 4.5 40 and scored 9 on the wonderlic....(Not implying Teddy is your hero. Just the most interesting mental image... Can't you just see Teddy running a 40 :D )

<teddy> Ah mis-ta speaka. I would, ah, totally bring the wood, ah, if you try to run that crossing ah, route on me</teddy>

BoomerJack
3/14/2006, 12:03 AM
Lynn Swann has given a little less than $2,000 to Democrats since 1977. He might as well drop his Repub. candidacy for Pennsylvania Governor's race right now.

85Sooner
3/14/2006, 10:56 AM
Barry Switzers a DEM? OMG And further proof lee corso is an idiot.