PDA

View Full Version : I Live In Hell

FaninAma
3/13/2006, 04:17 PM
At least it seemed that way yesterday.

Driving back home from Oklahoma on I-40 we ran into a massive traffic jam between McLean and Groom. As we sat there for about 20 minutes the flames and smoke got closer and closer to the highway. To make matters worse there was a psychotic trucker behind me who would honk if I stepped on my breaks even though there was another semi in front of me. And then he would get about 2 inches from my rear bumper. My kids were terrified and the 4 year old was crying. I finally got out and climbed up on the step-up to his cab and asked him what the hell his problem was. The jackass looked like a burntout hippie and he was from Ohio...at least his plates were.(Are there any decent human beings from Ohio?). He said I was stepping on my breaks too much. I asked him if he thought I should drive up the truck's *** in front of me and then I took his license plate number and called him a dumbass and got back in my Explorer.

As the flames got higher and the smoke got thicker and the kids got more frightened and with the psychotic trucker still riding my *** I decided it was time to make a strategic retreat so we four wheeled it across the median(which was pretty steep on that part of I-40) and headed back to McLean where they were just starting to evacuate the town. We were lucky enough to get gassed up and then we headed south to Hedley and Clarendon. Once we got to Clearendon it was bumper to bumper because of all the diverted traffic. We finally got home at 9pm. It took 5 hours to make the part of the trip that normally only takes 90 minutes.

And I think the fires are at it again today. I learned that 7 people died in the area we were in yesterday. This has to be hell...I am sure of it.

Harry Beanbag
3/13/2006, 04:19 PM
Well, it is Amarillo. :texan:

Skysooner
3/13/2006, 04:29 PM
On the way to Dallas last Tuesday, there was a grass fire that had the north bound lane of I-35 shut down and traffic backed up for miles. At the head of the column was a car that was completely burned, and the fire trucks were hosing it down. This is the worst year for grass fires that I can remember since moving to Oklahoma in '78.

slickdawg
3/13/2006, 04:41 PM
So your address is 667 - neighbor of the beast? :D

royalfan5
3/13/2006, 04:43 PM
People can rail on Nebraska for a lot of things, but the state doesn't suffer from fires like y'all do, and in my book that's a plus.

yermom
3/13/2006, 04:47 PM
At least it seemed that way yesterday.

Driving back home from Oklahoma on I-40 we ran into a massive traffic jam between McLean and Groom. As we sat there for about 20 minutes the flames and smoke got closer and closer to the highway. To make matters worse there was a psychotic trucker behind me who would honk if I stepped on my breaks even though there was another semi in front of me. And then he would get about 2 inches from my rear bumper. My kids were terrified and the 4 year old was crying. I finally got out and climbed up on the step-up to his cab and asked him what the hell his problem was. The jackass looked like a burntout hippie and he was from Ohio...at least his plates were.(Are there any decent human beings from Ohio?). He said I was stepping on my breaks too much. I asked him if he thought I should drive up the truck's *** in front of me and then I took his license plate number and called him a dumbass and got back in my Explorer.

As the flames got higher and the smoke got thicker and the kids got more frightened and with the psychotic trucker still riding my *** I decided it was time to make a strategic retreat so we four wheeled it across the median(which was pretty steep on that part of I-40) and headed back to McLean where they were just starting to evacuate the town. We were lucky enough to get gassed up and then we headed south to Hedley and Clarendon. Once we got to Clearendon it was bumper to bumper because of all the diverted traffic. We finally got home at 9pm. It took 5 hours to make the part of the trip that normally only takes 90 minutes.

And I think the fires are at it again today. I learned that 7 people died in the area we were in yesterday. This has to be hell...I am sure of it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e4/Bob_Stoops.jpg/200px-Bob_Stoops.jpg

FaninAma
3/13/2006, 05:13 PM
So your address is 667 - neighbor of the beast? :D

Yeah, his name is Damien and he's an attorney(sorry phil).

Jim, thanks. It was kind of scarey. And as we were headed out of the billowing smoke there were a bunch of cars driving right into it like they knew what they were doing. In my defense, when we came upon the traffic jam there wasn't any smoke crossing the highway until we'd been sitting there for 20 minutes.

KaiserSooner
3/13/2006, 09:07 PM
People can rail on Nebraska for a lot of things, but the state doesn't suffer from fires like y'all do, and in my book that's a plus.

What, no grass in Nebraska? ;)

If it ever gets as dry there as it currently is here, you'll have fires.

soonerscuba
3/13/2006, 09:15 PM
I didn't know Jerk is from Ohio, what a jerk.

royalfan5
3/13/2006, 09:27 PM
What, no grass in Nebraska? ;)

If it ever gets as dry there as it currently is here, you'll have fires.
we tend to have much smaller fires. Disked under corn stalks prenvent stuff from getting to crazy.

FaninAma
3/13/2006, 11:10 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e4/Bob_Stoops.jpg/200px-Bob_Stoops.jpg

Does he drive a truck in the off season?

Jerk
3/14/2006, 05:28 AM
I didn't know Jerk is from Ohio, what a jerk.

LOL!

C&CDean
3/14/2006, 04:55 PM
That'll teach you to invite me out to lunch before y'all head home.

On a sidenote, when I was leaving for the airport this morning Sissy (Miss Priss) was dropping a calf. White and black bull. Pretty awesome looking.

Glad you made it home.

FaninAma
3/14/2006, 05:41 PM
That'll teach you to invite me out to lunch before y'all head home.

On a sidenote, when I was leaving for the airport this morning Sissy (Miss Priss) was dropping a calf. White and black bull. Pretty awesome looking.

Glad you made it home.

Good news. If it doesn't rain out your way you might think about getting some more tubing for that high flow water pump. Never hurts to be prepared.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/14/2006, 05:59 PM
When I saw the thread title, I thought Nick's Mom had started posting here :P