PDA

View Full Version : Baseball video games

AllAboutThe'O'
3/12/2006, 02:15 AM
So it's about time for me to purchase a new baseball video game.
In the past, I always bought the 2K game (when it was also called ESPN and World Series Baseball), but last year's game really didn't do it for me. It was way too buggy (for instance, when I started a season with the Rangers, for some strange reason I couldn't use Michael Young as a hitter, only as a fielder), even though the presentation was improved.
I'm thinking about getting the new MLB '06: The Show game (I have a PS2), because I've heard rave reviews about it. Plus, I noticed on the back of the box there were two pictures of Ranger players in action (one was Millwood pitching). I've read where 2K has been working hard to improve its new game from last year, but I don't know if I'll be buying that one. Maybe as a rental.
I know there are some that preferred MVP (EA Sports) and it was an OK game, but it was a little too arcadey for my tastes. Plus, the one big drawback about the game was that you could only play with one team in the season mode. On the 2K game, you could play with every team in the season mode, and I've heard on MLB '06, you control just two teams in a season. But still better than controlling just one.
So, what baseball video games do you like, and what do you recommend?

oumartin
3/12/2006, 02:27 AM
intellivision baseball was the best.

AllAboutThe'O'
3/12/2006, 03:01 AM
intellivision baseball was the best.
I'll go old school with you and raise you a Baseball Simulator 1.000 on the Super Nintendo.
You could create up to six teams and I usually created random MLB teams. On the Seattle Mariners, when Randy Johnson was pitching, I created him to where he could throw as fast as 130 miles per hour. Many batters didn't stand a chance against him.

soonermark
3/12/2006, 03:16 AM
Bases loaded II for NES. I can't remember which team I always used (they weren't real teams) but there was this guy named Betty that went yard every other at bat it seemed like.

oumartin
3/12/2006, 03:18 AM
i like intellivision due to the sound and the block characters. and when you hit a home run. it was outta there in a hurry.
bloop bloop

Salt City Sooner
3/12/2006, 01:42 PM
You had to PRY me away from this one back in the day:

http://www.nintendoland.com/home2.htm?reviews/nes/baseball_stars.htm