PDA

View Full Version : so my son is going to france tomorrow

soonerbrat
3/11/2006, 05:00 PM
we're packing his suitcase now..

any last minute suggestions of what he should take? we might have forgotten something.

SicEmBaylor
3/11/2006, 05:02 PM
Hand sanitizer...lord trust me he'll need it over there.

What parts of France is he going to and why?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/11/2006, 05:03 PM
razors for any hotties he might meet.

SicEmBaylor
3/11/2006, 05:06 PM
There aren't any hotties over there..no joke. I didn't see one attractive girl in either of my visits to France.

Britian/London on the other hand is full of them.

soonerbrat
3/11/2006, 05:06 PM
Hand sanitizer...lord trust me he'll need it over there.

What parts of France is he going to and why?

he's going to Toulouse, Paris, Barcelona and Madrid. for spring break..school thing.

sanantoniosooner
3/11/2006, 05:08 PM
Lots of salad for all that dressing.

SicEmBaylor
3/11/2006, 05:10 PM
Well, I take that back..southern France has some decent stock but outside of the Med-Coast there's not much eye candy.

Czar Soonerov
3/11/2006, 05:19 PM
Lots of salad for all that dressing....

....and Ketsup for the fries.

soonerscuba
3/11/2006, 05:46 PM
Paris has the NYC syndrome. If you line up 100 women, 99 of them will be ugly, the other 1 will be the single hottest woman you have ever seen.

Dude, French chicks put the British to shame, pure shame. Spanish chicks pwn though.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/11/2006, 05:48 PM
what airline is he on? coach/business?

SicEmBaylor
3/11/2006, 05:49 PM
Paris has the NYC syndrome. If you line up 100 women, 99 of them will be ugly, the other 1 will be the single hottest woman you have ever seen.

Dude, French chicks put the British to shame, pure shame. Spanish chicks pwn though.

Man, I must have been looking in all the wrong places.

The first thing I saw when I got to Paris was a guy in a trench coat taking a leak right on the street. I kid you not. Nasty *** people; to hells with them all.

soonerscuba
3/11/2006, 05:52 PM
Nasty *** people

You'll hear no argument from me. Between the dog **** and bums every three feet I don't understand the love for the place. However, if you want to see the nastiest people on the planet, check out China.

chriscappel
3/11/2006, 05:54 PM
deodorant....lots of it!

BajaOklahoma
3/11/2006, 06:08 PM
Barcelona is great. Nice people.
Gaudi is awesome.

IronSooner
3/11/2006, 06:10 PM
There aren't any hotties over there..no joke. I didn't see one attractive girl in either of my visits to France.

I met a pretty cute girl named Vanessa in Colmar France back in '98. Outside of her, not much doin'. But she was a hottie.

okienole3
3/11/2006, 06:21 PM

British chicks are not hot, but London is a melting pot of hot chicks from all over the world. I especially like the Eastern Europeans there. Beer is also better in London than in Paris. :eddie:

OklahomaTrombone
3/11/2006, 06:27 PM
Condoms

Beano's Fourth Chin
3/11/2006, 06:29 PM
You'll hear no argument from me. Between the dog **** and bums every three feet

There's a hundred Euro fine for leaving dog poop anywhere now. I doubt you'll see any on your trip. There aren't any more bums than Houston, Texas. The smell of urine does seem to be more prevalent, though.

I think you guys are going into the place with the wrong attitude. Loud Americans just turn the folks right off, but if you're pleasant and courteous, look forward to having a good time.

I just got back from Paris on Thursday. It was my third time being over there and I can't recall a single rude person on any of my trips. In fact, most of the folks go out of their way to help you find directions, etc.

Brat, I'm sure the weather has cleared up by now, but take a rain coat and a scarf. It was cold, wet and windy when I was there. It even snowed a few days.

Also, unless they have it setup for him, wait to get Euros until you get there. Use an ATM to get the best exchange rate. It's important now that you lose at least 20% at the current rate.

And watch for pick pockets. Maybe get him one of those little flat things that he can wear around his neck for his passport and moola. Pickpockets are fun to watch, but not so fun to get picked by.

okienole3
3/11/2006, 06:32 PM
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kowalskis/events/joey03/france_sucks.jpg

SicEmBaylor
3/11/2006, 06:32 PM
Oh, tell him to learn the money before he goes over there!
Last time I went they were just ending their use of Francs, but if you don't know the money they'll totally screw you over.

Beano's Fourth Chin
3/11/2006, 06:38 PM
Oh, tell him to learn the money before he goes over there!
Last time I went they were just ending their use of Francs, but if you don't know the money they'll totally screw you over.

Yeah, and keep your receipts if you pay with Credit card. Never happened to me in France, but in England and Mexico, we've had a dude or two add a digit or so to a credit card purchase.

IronSooner
3/11/2006, 06:40 PM
Yep, carry anything important around the neck or in your front pockets where you can hold onto it. I've never had a problem, but I like to think that's part of the reason why.

Also tell him not to catch the babies. Gypsies will inevitably throw babies at him so that when he goes to catch them, they'll make off with his personal effects. Better to just let the baby drop and walk off. Seriously though, there are lots, especially around the Louvre. Try to avoid if you can.

AlbqSooner
3/11/2006, 06:45 PM
Does he have a pocket size corkscrew? Bottle of wine and chunk o' cheese is lunch on the run.

Beano's Fourth Chin
3/11/2006, 06:46 PM
Also tell him not to catch the babies. Gypsies will inevitably throw babies at him so that when he goes to catch them, they'll make off with his personal effects. Better to just let the baby drop and walk off. Seriously though, there are lots, especially around the Louvre. Try to avoid if you can.

That happened to me last time I went up to Stillwater for a game. Locals told me that people do that to get money for booze.

Luckily the old dude fell down trying to get into his Dodge Durango and I was able to get back my man handbag.

OklahomaTrombone
3/11/2006, 07:04 PM
That happened to me last time I went up to Stillwater for a game. Locals told me that people do that to get money for booze.

Luckily the old dude fell down trying to get into his Dodge Durango and I was able to get back my man handbag.

http://www.johnsonwoolenmills.com/catalog/images/crazypattern_fanny.jpg

soonerbrat
3/11/2006, 07:34 PM
thanks for the suggestions, guys. I already bought euros for him and i'm also giving him a couple hundred dollars in american money. no ATM card. I gave him a flat shoulder thing that goes over his shoulder and neck and rests in the front and i told him to tuck that under his sweatshirt and put the majority of his cash in his shoe and just keep enough in the bag for daily stuff. they are taking 3 copies each of his drivers license, birth certificate and passport...i think he's gonna be OK. the only thing he really needs that we didn't get is a new memory card for his camera....i think.

we had a meeting the other day and they warned them about the babies and how people rent them to distract people.

GottaHavePride
3/11/2006, 09:00 PM
Beer is also better in London than in Paris. :eddie:

If you're drinking beer in Paris you're a silly person anyway. France is known for wine, not beer.

okienole3
3/11/2006, 09:26 PM
If you're drinking beer in Paris you're a silly person anyway. France is known for wine, not beer.

True. I guess my point was beer>wine thus London>Paris.

opksooner
3/11/2006, 10:04 PM
Apres moi, prononcez dix fois....."La plume de ma tante est sur la table."

sooner_born_1960
3/12/2006, 01:18 AM
Apres moi, prononcez dix fois....."La plume de ma tante est sur la table."
It's like they have a different word for everything over there!

Palermo10
3/12/2006, 02:41 PM
I dont recommend the lack of ATM card... unless you think he is prone to losing it. Changing money will just be a hassle and you will lose out on the conversion rate.

For the sake of ease, remind him that $1.20 = 1 euro.

ATMs are everywhere in western Europe.

And with regard to the credit card receipts, not so much that somebody might overcharge him, but a lot of places do not **** out the credit card number. I keep receipts and 1/2 of mine give the entire number, name, and expiration date.

If he wants some help with Madrid (clubs, bars, Metro, futbol) let me know I will get you my cell/email.

And yes, pickpocketing is rampant. I know someone who lost their wallet on Friday and didn't know until they went to pay for something. I personally have not had any trouble, but I look quasi-Spanish (perhaps its the mullet). Remind him only to carry around what he needs. Madrid is not a very expensive city compared to other parts of Europe (London... ugh). Barcelona is beautiful, and the next week, at least here in Madrid, is supposed to be awesome. Today it was a high of about 69, and the sun is strong.

And French people were very nice to me when I was there - all I had to do was say "Bonjour, par le vous Ingles?" - even though Ingles is Spanish :O And they were very helpful - just dont walk up to them without saying bonjour or making any attempt in French.

SicEmBaylor
3/12/2006, 03:00 PM
just dont walk up to them without saying bonjour or making any attempt in French.

:confused: Maybe that's why everyone was so rude to me in France. I'd usually walk up and say, "Alright you lazy *** surrender monkey, I'm an American so serve me and hop to it!":confused:

Octavian
3/12/2006, 03:17 PM
Some of you were hanging out in the wrong spots, I saw a lot of hot women in Paris. Not like Spain, but there's a nice variety....

So condoms would be a wise move. I'd pack a journal too.

....and dont forget the camera. ;)

opksooner
3/12/2006, 04:29 PM
It's like they have a different word for everything over there!
Wow! What a concept!

It's true about the "Bonjour" thing. It's considered rude to initiate a conversation without saying "Hello" first. It's a cultural thing.

soonerbrat
3/12/2006, 04:35 PM
well..he's off. We had to be at the airport by 1:00 so they could distribute all the tickets and get checked into the international desk...they are probably just boarding or finished boarding..the plane leaves at 3:45...he's flying united to denver and Lufthansa to frankfort and then on to paris. it's gonna be a LONG day for him, but he is SO excited.

usmc-sooner
3/12/2006, 04:41 PM
when they surrender to him, tell him to just give it back we don't want it.

BTW they actually eat horse in France, I don't recommend it. Another thing they eat is something like uncooked hamburger meat.

soonerbrat
3/12/2006, 04:43 PM
i think the tour group that he is with kinda screens what they get fed..they have 2 meals a day provided..he'll just be on his own for lunches

SicEmBaylor
3/12/2006, 05:22 PM
i think the tour group that he is with kinda screens what they get fed..they have 2 meals a day provided..he'll just be on his own for lunches

It isn't EF is it? First time I went was with EF and I swear the food was no where near fit to eat. It was plain bland noodles night and day..nothing but noodles.

XingTheRubicon
3/12/2006, 06:26 PM
Have him wear a USA shirt on the Champs Elysees. They love that...

and also, it's too bad you can't bring ice cubes with you, for some reason ice is unnessecary in Europe.

SicEmBaylor
3/12/2006, 06:51 PM
Have him wear a USA shirt on the Champs Elysees. They love that...

and also, it's too bad you can't bring ice cubes with you, for some reason ice is unnessecary in Europe.

This is probably another reason the French were rude to me. I'd have to send my waiter/waitress back 4-5 times before they finally got enough damned ice in my glass.

Another odd thing...the hotels there are like freaking obsessed with saving money for electricty. EVERY hotel I stayed at had their hallway lights operating on motion detectors. So as you walked down them it was basically dark except the area you happened to be in.

I was at one hotel in, I think, St. Malo and the TV wouldn't work so my roommate and I walked downstairs to complain to the night manager. Now, at an American hotel if you complained about this they'd immediately remedy the situation, but not in France! So my roommate tells the guy the problem and he looks at her then looks at me and says, "That's alright it doesn't matter. It's time for you to go to sleep! It's bedtime!"

I've really come to wish that we'd let the Germans stay in France just a LITTLE longer with the hope of shaping them up.

KC//CRIMSON
3/12/2006, 09:26 PM
Tell him to stay away from anyone named "Vandersloot."

SoonerInKCMO
3/13/2006, 09:44 AM
This is probably another reason the French were rude to me. I'd have to send my waiter/waitress back 4-5 times before they finally got enough damned ice in my glass.

Another odd thing...the hotels there are like freaking obsessed with saving money for electricty. EVERY hotel I stayed at had their hallway lights operating on motion detectors. So as you walked down them it was basically dark except the area you happened to be in.

I was at one hotel in, I think, St. Malo and the TV wouldn't work so my roommate and I walked downstairs to complain to the night manager. Now, at an American hotel if you complained about this they'd immediately remedy the situation, but not in France! So my roommate tells the guy the problem and he looks at her then looks at me and says, "That's alright it doesn't matter. It's time for you to go to sleep! It's bedtime!"

I've really come to wish that we'd let the Germans stay in France just a LITTLE longer with the hope of shaping them up.

Yeesh, why'd you even bother to go there? I mean you did know that the people would actually be different from you before you went, right? :rolleyes:

soonerbrat
3/13/2006, 12:41 PM
Sic'em..you're a prime example of why people in European countries have a bad attitude towards Americans. No offense, but when you travel to a foreign country you gotta know that things will be different and accept it.

My son's group missed their flight to Frankfurt last night. Their flight to Denver was delayed 2 hours and they couldn't hold the Frankfurt flight..so they're still in Denver til 5:30 tonight and they're losing a day off their trip :(

at least the airline put them all up in a hotel and fed them..we didn't budget for that.

XingTheRubicon
3/13/2006, 01:14 PM
Sic'em..you're a prime example of why people in European countries have a bad attitude towards Americans. No offense, but when you travel to a foreign country you gotta know that things will be different and accept it.

My son's group missed their flight to Frankfurt last night. Their flight to Denver was delayed 2 hours and they couldn't hold the Frankfurt flight..so they're still in Denver til 5:30 tonight and they're losing a day off their trip :(

at least the airline put them all up in a hotel and fed them..we didn't budget for that.

Whoa, whoa, whoa....

you've gotta give the smelly, snooty Euro's some credit.

Example:

In Paris, our room # was 300 or toisant (or something like that, pronounced twah-son) My wife, having taken French, took it upon herself to request our room key each time by saying "twah-son." The fag clerk corrected her every time she tried to say it. He said it a little different and he corrected her every time. I just begged her to say three hundred, but she persisted.

Well, the 3rd morning, when I got tired of eating nutella croissants, left early to get a paper and some coffee and when I got back, there was our favorite bell hop. He said, "room number?" "Three hundred," I said.
"Tree hundred, right away" he said in his gay French voice. No, no, no...
"THree hundred, not tree hundred, say it right or don't say it at all." He looked at me like he wanted me to burst in flames, I smirked at him and grabbed my key.

soonerbrat
3/13/2006, 01:19 PM
he sounds charming :)

SicEmBaylor
3/13/2006, 03:29 PM
Yeesh, why'd you even bother to go there? I mean you did know that the people would actually be different from you before you went, right? :rolleyes:

Different yes. Insulted no.
I have yet to have an American hotel manager ever tell me not to worry about my problem becuase it's late and time for me to go to bed.

And I'm exaggerating of course, I don't speak a word of French but I always tried to remain courteous. It's a difficult thing to do though when you have nothing but contempt for an entire people.

Let me give another example, the first time I went I hadn't learned the money system yet. So, we get a cab to our hotel and all I can do is kind of hand over a bunch of money to the cab driver and let her figure out how much she needs. So she takes a considerable amount and turns back around and then just as I'm about to put my money back in my pocket she turns back around and grabs another handful then looks at me and says, "Bonjour!"

I will say that I loved the people of Normandy. The French folks along the coast are second to none in that pit hole.

SicEmBaylor
3/13/2006, 03:30 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa....

you've gotta give the smelly, snooty Euro's some credit.

Example:

In Paris, our room # was 300 or toisant (or something like that, pronounced twah-son) My wife, having taken French, took it upon herself to request our room key each time by saying "twah-son." The fag clerk corrected her every time she tried to say it. He said it a little different and he corrected her every time. I just begged her to say three hundred, but she persisted.

Well, the 3rd morning, when I got tired of eating nutella croissants, left early to get a paper and some coffee and when I got back, there was our favorite bell hop. He said, "room number?" "Three hundred," I said.
"Tree hundred, right away" he said in his gay French voice. No, no, no...
"THree hundred, not tree hundred, say it right or don't say it at all." He looked at me like he wanted me to burst in flames, I smirked at him and grabbed my key.

Now there's the France I know! And I'd forgotten about having to turn the damn hotel key in each time you walked out the front door. Ugh...

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/13/2006, 03:32 PM
So if you have contempt for a whole nation of people, why visit their country?

SicEmBaylor
3/13/2006, 04:03 PM
So if you have contempt for a whole nation of people, why visit their country?

I'm a HUGE World War II history buff, and I've been trying to go to Europe whenever I can in order to trace the war from its inception to conclusion. I still have a lot to see in France, but I'd like to start in on Germany sometime soon.

I also have a great-uncle buried at the military cemetary opposite Omaha Beach and nobody in the family had ever visited his grave since he was killed in '44, so I wanted to rectify that situation.

France itself I enjoyed; the people I did not.

mdklatt
3/13/2006, 04:12 PM
And I'd forgotten about having to turn the damn hotel key in each time you walked out the front door. Ugh...

I did that in London, and it didn't bother me at all. It saves you from having to carry the damn thing around all day. What's the big deal?

SicEmBaylor
3/13/2006, 04:41 PM
I did that in London, and it didn't bother me at all. It saves you from having to carry the damn thing around all day. What's the big deal?

I don't mind carrying keys, but I do mind having my comings and goings checked.

mdklatt
3/13/2006, 05:11 PM
I don't mind carrying keys, but I do mind having my comings and goings checked.

Don't you think it's pretty easy of them to see if you're in the room or not if they really wanted too? And why would they?

FaninAma
3/13/2006, 05:18 PM
razors for any hotties he might meet.

Just a different kind of love handles.:D

Good luck to him and hope he has a safe and good trip.

Petro-Sooner
3/13/2006, 05:18 PM
France itself I enjoyed; the people I did not.

Kinda like texas.

Skysooner
3/13/2006, 05:23 PM
If he sees these people, please let us know.

http://majorknitter.typepad.com/major_knitter/images/coneheads.jpg